• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Role Playing Game] Iceborn

Which of the following options would be the most enjoyable for you?

• Long gameplay.

Votes: 38 22.4%
  • Complex ability interaction with each other.

Votes: 15 8.8%
  • Abundance of ability special effects.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Astonishing feel and atmosphere, also a great storyline to follow.

Votes: 81 47.6%
  • More events where mind is put to the test and less of hack'n'slash.

Votes: 25 14.7%
  • Something else. (I would be thankful to be informed about it)

Votes: 4 2.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 31
Amazing (and) Perfect project strikes again. gj
Lovely. Your terraining style is classy, good looking and really clean. You've improved even more since Seth's Reign. Good luck with this one :)
Simply amazing terrain are those, your terrain is quite impressing and also motivating!
I appreciate your support. :)
Its cool and nice but I have a feeling that it might be disturbing for players due to its extreme brightness.
Thanks. Well, eye gets used to it rather quickly, but for this game may be only during night time and day may approach only at the very end of game itself to my calculations, but it may still be adjustable.

Here are some more screenies.
15jx.png

pbzw.png

iiv.png

Level 31
what disturbs me is that brick and dirt like tiles
It looks alright with some fog during game.
I prefer to see a in-game screenshot
Of course, but I would have to capture many pictures to give one whole feel of an area, but I may add those too. After screenshot it looks brighter than in game itself in my opinion, weird.
o20.bmp

t82.png
Terrain progress now may stop for a while as I have to keep up with the gameplay of these areas. Thanks for the support.

EDIT: Ow.. I noticed if I add units to this terrain, game really lags. I guess I'll have to leave it like that even though it may cause lag for many people. My laptop has 6 GB RAM, yet it still cause irritating lags. It also starts lagging when spell is being cast and it barely leaks.

EDIT: Storyline is now in written form in the first post update. Nothing really special about it, rather simple with many elements from various stories. Not everything was revealed, only to a specific point when player gets to play the game and the story moves one.

Level 28
Adjusting the End and Start of the fog will do a lot of magic depending on what you're trying to achieve. Also if you want I can test your map on my laptop and desktop to see if its machine problem. If your spell doesn't leak then it must be the terrain that is causing the lag but I highly doubt it cause I made some more complex terrain before and barely lag on my laptop.

It looks alright with some fog during game.

Base on the in-game screenshot, I need to agree with this.

I guess I'll have to leave it like that even though it may cause lag for many people.

Please try to find the source of the problem first. This will turnoff a lot of people.

Level 31
I can not adjust fog as it is set perfectly for every area. Well, game camera has Far Z set to 8000 because when hero is on hill, sight is being cut with black or sky, so I had to increase the Far Z. Spell do leak, but it only create few dummies that dies immediately, but lag stays permanent.

The last screenshot is ingame and there are dirt with bricks.

Well, I didn't try to solve the problem yet as I was busy with other stuff, just noticed it and at first I had to thoughts what to do. I may try to deal with the spell, experiment with units, Far Z, sfx, etc. If I am to fail, I may surely ask for your assistance. Thanks.

Level 28
I can not adjust fog as it is set perfectly for every area. Well, game camera has Far Z set to 8000 because when hero is on hill, sight is being cut with black or sky, so I had to increase the Far Z.

It is indeed have a lot of height variations base on the current screenshots you showed us.

The last screenshot is ingame and there are dirt with bricks.

Yes and there is where I'm basing my statement where I'm agreeing with you that it is indeed looks fine with fogs in-game.

Well, I didn't try to solve the problem yet as I was busy with other stuff, just noticed it and at first I had to thoughts what to do. I may try to deal with the spell, experiment with units, Far Z, sfx, etc. If I am to fail, I may surely ask for your assistance. Thanks.

I am more than happy to help you if you need any.

Level 31
Damn, I wish I had the dedication to name all of my doodads probably. My list's like house, house, house big, house small, great house... etc ^^
Hehe, I see. It was hard for me at the beginning. But I name it just for comfortability, I put letter A in front of it so that all imported material in Props section wouldn't mix with the rest of starting doodads.

Here is the terrain update, this is the first part of this kind of terrain, there will be another one and I'll try to bring there something more original.

d6lz.png

4kp8.png

motu.png

Level 28
I love the layout idea but the designing is kinda lacking as its mostly just WoW doodads I hope you're not totally done on that part. Its only a biased perspective because there is no unit to base this but don't you think its kinda wide and empty on almost everywhere? There is where the lack of total design kicks in.

I saw your map in-editor and it doesn't match the other well designed areas.

Level 31
And as much as I love your terrains, there are a bit TOO much wow doodads imo. Your pervious maps somehow had that right mix of wc3 and wow doodads but they kinda overweigh here.
I love the layout idea but the designing is kinda lacking as its mostly just WoW doodads I hope you're not totally done on that part. Its only a biased perspective because there is no unit to base this but don't you think its kinda wide and empty on almost everywhere? There is where the lack of total design kicks in.
Thanks for the critizism. But what is wrong about WoW models? I try to strike for the best quality and WoW models gives the opportunity.

The feeling of only-WoW models is given by these Nexus Platforms mostly I guess. Not everything is made from WoW models, for example, all these paths contains no WoW model at all. But I agree, WoW models overweigh here, yet to me it looks really good and I love the ingame feeling of it.

All platforms are same size here so you can base it on the last screenshot. It is not so wide and empty, because ground paintings makes it not so blunt, also it may be swarmed with enemies as well as chests, items and puzzles perhaps. I may edit few parts I guess.

To my mind, it is alright to use these models as long as I don't try to represent WoW areas and provide it different shape.

But thanks again, all this slight criticism is taken seriously at all times and it doesn't go to waste.
this is one of the best terrain iv ever seen. Its realy holy shit! what a terrain.
Thank you. :)

Level 28
I'm not totally complaining about you using WoW model since the terrain looks really beautiful with it and you use the models nicely. It just that like other people who use WOW models for terraining, they most of the time forget the little things that can further help the appearance of the terrain

Its only a biased perspective because there is no unit to base this but don't you think its kinda wide and empty on almost everywhere?

But thanks again, all this slight criticism is taken seriously at all times and it doesn't go to waste.

People like you are rare. :D

Level 31
I see your point, I may surely try to improve it as good as I can, but it is really hard to find the right material for it. Went through all doodads and attachments here on hive plenty of times, Wc3C as well, yet it is troubling to find anything of use to this specific area, but that's just an excuse to drop it.

Thanks, sonofjay, I appreciate it. Your support is of value.

Level 28
I see your point, I may surely try to improve it as good as I can, but it is really hard to find the right material for it.

Well wow models doesn't really blend well with wc3 default and user made models.

Went through all doodads and attachments here on hive plenty of times, Wc3C as well, yet it is troubling to find anything of use to this specific area, but that's just an excuse to drop it.

Did you try looking on wcunderground? You might find some. But you don't need to spend if hours if you really can't find any, the terrain looks magnificent as it is right now.

Level 31
Some do blend pretty much okay, but these are quite rare to find.

I did, in the matter of fact, bigger part of doodads flow from wcunderground.

Its okay, I am not planning to do vast changes, just add this and that in that empty space.

EDIT: Couldn't find any proper doodad to be added there so I made one with already existing doodads, works all the time. Pillars always does the job, I hope it did it here as well.

2xp.png

Level 31
Thank you, guys. :)

80% of SR's terrain was rather simple, yet last 20% of terrain appeared to be vast change for me as I started to realise terrain not as something to be just filled for an eye, but to put as much ideas as I can, abuse attachments, sfx, buildings, merge doodads into totally different one. I want to push my limits and SR didn't do so (Talking about spells, terrain and gameplay overally), that's why I started making another project.

SR blinded people with cute terrain and atmosphere yet gameplay was really poor. I'll try to bring something more complex into gaming (in comparison with my other maps) and by saying that I mean more universal spells, more puzzles, secrets, hopefully better boss fights, terrain etc.

40% of map is nearly finished already so it won't be really long game as I dislike expanding it too much and staying on one project half of year or more, ending up with very small percent of people that played the map and managed to finish it, as it was with SR. Its overall size caused fatal blow to gameplay as I really rushed its completion, yet it took almost half year to make.

I always have to remind myself not to rush with making maps as quality suffers greatly.

Level 16
Thank you, guys. :)
SR blinded people with cute terrain and atmosphere yet gameplay was really poor. I'll try to bring something more complex into gaming (in comparison with my other maps) and by saying that I mean more universal spells, more puzzles, secrets, hopefully better boss fights, terrain etc.

That's great to hear! :) If you happen to need anything trigger-related, you know where to find me. I won't do anything as complex as something like a full screen inventory, but you can find many of them in the spells section anways. Spells, or other things that don't need a vast amount of time, are totally fine.

Good luck, I'm curious to see what you can come up with :)

Level 31
SR's terrain was already pretty cool and the gameplay wasn't bad. It was pretty slow at first but was pretty fun after some time.
I agree, it was slightly slow. In this map EVERYTHING is going to evolve so fast in comparison to SR.
That's great to hear! :) If you happen to need anything trigger-related, you know where to find me. I won't do anything as complex as something like a full screen inventory, but you can find many of them in the spells section anways. Spells, or other things that don't need a vast amount of time, are totally fine.
I'm glad to read that. I would surely keep it in mind if I find myself in need of complex coding.
Good luck, I'm curious to see what you can come up with :)
Woah, now this gonna put some pressure on not to disappoint. :)
Now this is what I'm talking about. Looks damn amazing man.
Well, good luck and I do hope you finish this map. :D
Thank you for the support, it means a lot, only this keeps me going. :)

P.S. The problem is that I would like to hear what people like you would expect from gameplay. I'm pretty sure you can set bar rather high and that's exactly what I want, because when I make it, I make it suitable for me, but your opinion on what is wanted is a must I see. I don't play much all these super popular maps so I don't know what exactly create all the enjoyment, all these little details, etc. So your opinions would be truly appreciated.

Level 30
About the gameplay, I don't expect much but if you can make the game have this interesting plot, it might do because it makes the game interesting to play over and over because of the catchy plot of the game. and there follows on how you'll made it.

Level 31
About the gameplay, I don't expect much but if you can make the game have this interesting plot, it might do because it makes the game interesting to play over and over because of the catchy plot of the game. and there follows on how you'll made it.
Hmm, I don't think this map would make people to play the game several times because it is linear gameplay as well as singleplayer. I suppose multiplayer is what attract large audience, but I don't aim for it, I aim for at least few people who would play it and really enjoy.
When is release :p ???
This year I hope.

New terrain update, in this area will be a very nice puzzle in my opinion. I also cought a nice screenshot and it looks like a huge *city* behind this area (last screenie). Also don't mind these shiny glowing orbs in air, these are not affected by fog that is why they are so visible, also in game only few are visible at the time.
b24a.png

t9g.png

1dx7.png

mq9g.png

Level 31
I cannot recall from where it was exactly, I thought it was from Wc3C, I tried to check it out but could not find it, perhaps from xgm.ru, not sure though. Well this crystal is taken from this lamp model, rest of lamp was removed leaving only crystal, it was uploaded somewhere. I also asked on request section to reduce its glow because it makes unbearable to watch if several crystals are put to one spot, so it was done by Anvil.

EDIT1: I am thinking of making a video covering some gameplay, perhaps I'll talk about one of the puzzles as I think it would be a good time to cover something else than speechless screenshots.

EDIT2: I decided to make a video after all. Sorry for my poor english, I'm making a video where I talk for the first time, hehe. In this video I reveal one of puzzles found in Iceborn, I thought it would be a nice update on map development thread.

Last edited:
Level 31
Set video on full screen for better view towards icons and watch from 2:40 to 4:00, there I explain it all. Basically paintings are like separate pieces that create a circle when being put into one whole piece and it represent a circle with pylons around it.

Level 23
Aww man.. now I know how to solve one of the puzzles. >,<

So those black circles in the icons represent the pylons that should be lit or is it the other circles in the icons? But whichever it is, this puzzle is really clever. Pretty similar to that of Seth's Reign except with more pylons/obelisk and with clues. Nice :)

Level 31
Thanks, PROXY. :)

New terrain update, this terrain type is still in progress as very little of it have been done yet.
x3xl.png

d686.png
EDIT: Terrain update, there will be some minor changes, but this terrain can be considered to be finished.
rwpb.png

xcbc.png

73j7.png

71gg.png

Status
Not open for further replies.