• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece!🔗 Click here to enter!

HybrisFactory - Terraining and Mapping Resources

Random questions, would you prefer the updated walls to be double sided, one sided or be available in both versions ?
Double sided. It's a pain to align them back to back without the texture z-fighting happen.

Also, feel free to suggest anything not on this list or suggest which ones of these should be granted priority over the others.
Not ordered by relevancy

• Rain, rain effects, splashes.
  • Hay roofs, hay huts.
  • Ruins and dilapidated environments.
  • Terrain tilesets.
  • Towers, defensive structures and castle related doodads.
  • Vines and roots.
  • Water torrents, waves.
  • ♦ Swampy and Desert plants and environments.
  • ♦ Cave environments, bigger rocks and cliff models.
  • ♦ More winter related doodads.
  • Nautical doodads.
  • Smaller doodads to hide seams with.
  • Asian themed Doodads.
  • Statues and Ornaments.
  • ♦ See through windows.
♦ - On current "to-do" list
Since we can more or less build towers and castles from the existing set already (albeit with a bit more lego mentality), I'd say that is lowest priority.

I'd personally like to see more winter doodads. What I'm really missing so far are icy cavern walls. We have snowy rocks, but we don't have ice per definition. The only existing model for that is this: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...ff-232682/?prev=search=ice&r=20&d=list&page=2

And unfortunately; it looks terrible ingame. We could also need icy stalagmites, etc.

Also, how about a "Sword & Stone - Modular Dungeon" set?
Basicly another interior set, but with a dungeon-theme: cave walls, dungeon walls in different styles, metal bars, doorways, turf tile ornaments, traps, etc.

On nautical doodads, realistic looking ships would be awesome (though that is more a unit model then).
I could imagine those ships being modular by using attachment points and attachable special effects.

For example, make the hull the basic model and then let the user attach different decks, masts, sails and other stuff like cannons, the figurehead, etc.
You can also have attachment points for wares or the crew (so that I can for example mount other unit models on the ship).

Last edited:

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
@Zwiebelchen

I think the icy texture or cover might work if there was around 60% transparent little doodads of different shapes and sized (mostly small ones). You could place those on other objects and on walls and floors, you could even create ice over normal floating water. I think this gives huge creative functionality to those needs and also it does not stick mappers for certain models that have ice coverage.

@Talavaj
I would vote for vines and roots and water effects, the rain effect is not high priority as Blizzard already have decent looking rain (with only little to edit). (I assume they are fast to do then go for terrain tile set (asap). However in order to make it match everything else do the necessary models first.
Third required thing I think would be Ruins themed things and then the new environmental things. Swamps and caves then.

I think these things are not even near high priority: Asian themed, desert, towers etc. castle, winter related things, (smaller doodads to high seams) because these are rarely used in any map, not many users would use them or they rely on the other models and structures (e.g. the smaller objects).

What I feel we are missing from S&S is elvish/nature stylish walls. I have this elven village and I have no idea how I am going to replace it with HQ materials.

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
Open those eyes of yours and say that again.
Blizz's rain sucks as fuck, one has to look closer to notice that ;)

Splash and rain effects as well here.

Props for the ideas Tal.

Yea maybe "decent looking" isn't the best term, but if I had to mention some I wouldn't place Rain as high priority.
Tile set ofc. would be but as Talavaj mentioned before, it's not good idea to make them since they need to match the models.

Level 36
It's obvious our starting points are.. Different. You are talking from a map makers
perspective, while I'm talking from a scenic terrainers perspective. And this is the
terraining section. My point is, good weather and rain effects could go a long
way in making scenic terraining come more alive and reinforce the artistic mood of
the terrain.

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
It's obvious our starting points are.. Different. You are talking from a map makers
perspective, while I'm talking from a scenic terrainers perspective. And this is the
terraining section. My point is, good weather and rain effects could go a long
way in making scenic terraining come more alive and reinforce the artistic mood of
the terrain.

True, my bad I did not realize that. But as we know it's up to Talavaj to finish the project, however from my perspective I think it would be more efficient to create large themes first like building materials -> other materials -> environmental structures. Rather than making rains, water effects and other small detailing things. But as you say, we have different perspectives.

Level 17
Yes, chimney is planned for the new release version. It will be in at least 2 versions.
The only factor against terrain tiles, effects/rain is that I can't really put them on unity and make money, which makes me slightly less inclined to do so.

Though they don't take much time to do, I'll try to squeeze it in between the more recent stuff.
And I see opinions are rather split :p I'll see what I can do with everything.

Yes, chimney is planned for the new release version. It will be in at least 2 versions.
The only factor against terrain tiles, effects/rain is that I can't really put them on unity and make money, which makes me slightly less inclined to do so.

Though they don't take much time to do, I'll try to squeeze it in between the more recent stuff.
And I see opinions are rather split :p I'll see what I can do with everything.
May I ask what you make a month with your models on Unity? Or is that a secret? :p

Level 17
Can't give you exact numbers because the first pack went up only a little over 2 weeks ago. But assuming similar rate, it would be about $3.50 per a single prop after royalties, per month.
Which is going to raise assuming the store's mostly exponential growth.

I'm only happy that I have broken the "your things are good enough to actually sell" barrier with my first product, especially considering its mere purpose was to test the waters. (I'm actually offering the same product for "free" on my website)
I was dreading I would end up like these publishers with 20+ products and no apparent sales whatsoever.
My current plan is to ape existing successful products on the store but price them competitively even if it would mean losing some revenue in order to gain exposure.

Also, on topic. Items/ingredients and consumables will be part of the new pack too. Not that it was requested, but it is fairly easy to do and there isn't much of that on the asset store anyway.
So you will get it if you want or not !

Last edited:
Can't give you exact numbers because the first pack went up only a little over 2 weeks ago. But assuming similar rate, it would be about $3.50 per a single prop after royalties, per month.
Which is going to raise assuming the store's mostly exponential growth.

I'm only happy that I have broken the "your things are good enough to actually sell" barrier with my first product, especially considering its mere purpose was to test the waters. (I'm actually offering the same product for "free" on my website)
I was dreading I would end up like these publishers with 20+ products and no apparent sales whatsoever.
My current plan is to ape existing successful products on the store but price them competitively even if it would mean losing some revenue in order to gain exposure.

Also, on topic. Items/ingredients and consumables will be part of the new pack too. Not that it was requested, but it is fairly easy to do and there isn't much of that on the asset store anyway.
So you will get it if you want or not !
Interesting; I never thought freelance modelling was actually a lucrative market, especially for mostly unanimated props. But maybe that's exactly the niché. With everyone making the "fun stuff" like character models, environmental props are probably just less competition.

But I agree that you definitely need to build up a large database before the profits will come in steadily. Simply because people that will buy one set or asset from you are most likely to buy another for consistency of art.
In fact, if you can manage to cover all bases in your assets, I could imagine your profits to go up exponentially, simply because every game designer that likes you style will probably just buy them all.

Level 17
The art probably isn't as lucrative. The code/plugins are likely much more popular.
Unity is quite bare bone and dated. The default materials, lighting, screen shaders and pretty much everything is just depressing.

You can't get in Unity anywhere unless you write your own code, so a lot of people resort to purchasing pre-made scripts.
From what I have heard, people who have made some essential plugins made as much as 10k in a month from selling them.
As for art, probably only the few big publishers can make enough to replace their full time jobs with the rest making pocket change or not making anything at all.

That being said, it is directly related to your skill at least. So if your work is good enough, it will sell.
The only products of high quality that do not sell are either overpriced or try to compete with popular things of the same niche but fall behind them in quality.

That aside. We have parted ways with my girlfriend of 5 years two days ago and I don't feel like doing much of anything right now.
Just a heads up if you won't see anything in here for a while.

That aside. We have parted ways with my girlfriend of 5 years two days ago and I don't feel like doing much of anything right now.
Just a heads up if you won't see anything in here for a while.
Sorry for the offtopic, but:

I know that feeling. It isn't more than a month or two that I had to endure a break-up aswell. But I ended up working more on my projects since then instead of less.
5 years is a lot of time. Technology has advanced so much during that time. Especially now with internet-to-go and mobile apps for everything, including dating, this stuff has really become easier and less time consuming.

PS: But I hope you aren't a romantic. Because then you're screwed in the age of instant gratification and 20-minute session length.

Last edited:

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
Such as ? Feel free to suggest things.

I got over my "too lazy to live" phase a couple days ago and I'm working again. But I don't have much to show yet.

Well. I am making the map and I hate the fact that the "Rough" texture structure objects are so bright/light. So I went for the darker version. However I noticed that all the barrels etc. are using the "rough" texture. I was hoping that maybe you could make versions for every model using rough and the darker version.

Secondly, also make all the fence models have all the textures (there is no fence model that fits the darker wood walls).

Thirdly the "arch" models seem to scale weirdly. It seems they go higher when I make the "higher" as a model. Could you make it so that the height difference from the ground to the model does not change when making the model higher.

My fourth point are stairs. How do I make them? I did not find any model that would fit for that purpose. At the moment I am using "Foundations" but they are insanely hard to place. So please, make a model that I could make stairs with. :3

Fifth point: the foundation models (especially the wooden versions) the planks are going to the different directions when you rotate them. So could you make versions of the planks going different locations. (You can see what I mean when you make a tiny square of foundations (planks) and rotate them so the outer edge is good-looking. (The planks clip each other weirdly).

Level 17
Ah right, that is all problems exclusive to the legacy package. I will no longer be updating those.
The updated models won't work like that. For example foundations won't exist anymore instead there will be separate floors, separate wall foundations and corner blocks to make your own foundations with.
Similarly, walls will no longer have frames, the beams, framing and the wall materials will all be separate.
So scratch what I said before about easily updating existing projects, the new models will work very differently. BUT there will be "prefabs", models that are already stuck together such as the existing walls.

I will be upgrading the building models first. Plaster, stone, rough wood and rough stone will be the new material types. Limestone will be quasi replaced with plaster which will have similar look.

Also the new rocks will just be some simple baked sculpts. The new rock textures will be 256x256 pixels in dimension in a 512p atlas or in 512 without atlas for full resolution.
Unlike previous rocks, these do not have a base so you can rotate them however you want.
Unity sources:
185888-albums6426-picture100223.png

Full resolution bakes for the game:
185888-albums6426-picture100225.png

Last edited:
Level 17
Yes it is just one model scaled and rotated a bunch. There will be about 4 different rocks per tileset, but there will also be detail rocks for the ground which will be small rocks with a base.
And yeah, if you are planing to update your project then it may be better to wait. I'm currently working on the new wooden/cobblestone models.

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
Yes it is just one model scaled and rotated a bunch. There will be about 4 different rocks per tileset, but there will also be detail rocks for the ground which will be small rocks with a base.
And yeah, if you are planing to update your project then it may be better to wait. I'm currently working on the new wooden/cobblestone models.

The rocks come in chunks? Why not have single rocks that you can make into a bunch if you want to?

Looking forward to the sneaky-peeks of the upcoming resources.

How are you planning to do roofs? They are just insanely hard to do at the moment.

Level 17
I meant those 4 rocks are all separate models, but they are the same model of rock.
Roofs will be about the same but they will have beams not just shingles, and they may be separate.
There isn't a much better way to do them I'm afraid, though there will be more shapes of roofs available.

If you are struggling with roofs I'd suggest making roofs first on the ground the way you want them then raise the whole roof to your desired height or something.
I forgot how I was making the roofs for the test map.

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
I meant those 4 rocks are all separate models, but they are the same model of rock.
Roofs will be about the same but they will have beams not just shingles, and they may be separate.
There isn't a much better way to do them I'm afraid, though there will be more shapes of roofs available.

If you are struggling with roofs I'd suggest making roofs first on the ground the way you want them then raise the whole roof to your desired height or something.
I forgot how I was making the roofs for the test map.

So I have done but I always face the problem that I have to edit the width/size of the actual roof slide models to make them fit between the beams.

Also I just got an idea. You could make some "Construction Skin" which could be applied on the models while making the buildings. The skin could have thin red lines and dots to help the builder to see where the lines are and place the models more perfectly. This could be useful, is it possible to do?

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Hey man, any spicy update to tease us with? :D

Level 17
I hurt my arm yesterday, today I found a new position at a local game dev company that I filled and sent application for.
So yeah, I just mailed them I'm quitting because I don't really care and I will need the free time for the inevitable task I will be given by the studio I'm applying for.

Pretty much lol.

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
I hurt my arm yesterday, today I found a new position at a local game dev company that I filled and sent application for.
So yeah, I just mailed them I'm quitting because I don't really care and I will need the free time for the inevitable task I will be given by the studio I'm applying for.

Pretty much lol.

Nice to hear you are working on something you find interesting (I hope Game Dev).

Level 21
I'm a bit confused.

Am I allowed to use this in a map I plan on uploading?

(sorry for Necro post,didn't notice the dates)

Level 21
I did read the first post,this just made me unsure:
Under no circumstances you are to use parts of this resource in your work.
This applies to Models, Textures and all content found within this pack.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

He means for derivative work. e.g. slightly altering a model, slapping on a different texture and calling it your work.

I believe slightly altering a model to fit your needs is fine but presenting it as your own is not. Essentially - if Wall A is too green for my tastes I can change the texture to be less green so long as I don't release it and claim I made the whole thing. That's how I understand it anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 17
What @fladder said.
Altering the models to use within your map/project is perfectly fine.
Redistributing those resources separately is not.
Also, if you want to use these resources in a commercial project and kill your dream of making any money whatsoever.. you can do that too :p

Also sorry, back I have been busy. LOL
Messing around in game maker some, but didn't really have time for much else.

Last edited:

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

I actually want to ask about Castle Walls. I mean, while we CAN make good-looking walls using the existing resources, battlements, gates and wall decor is a bit more tricky

Level 17
I still kinda suck at rock sculpting, but yes I would like to do that.
The castle walls will be among the first things in the new batch, since I assume it is better off doing the things that are represented poorly or not at all in the existing packs.

There is just one unity resource I want to finish before moving onto this, but I did start wit the small things already.
I'm just hoping your maps are not intended to be played in online multiplayer :p

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

The castle walls will be among the first things in the new batch, since I assume it is better off doing the things that are represented poorly or not at all in the existing packs.

I'm just hoping your maps are not intended to be played in online multiplayer :p

As a Campaign/SPRPG maker I love this statement as well

Level 17
You will still be able to use lower resolution textures.
The textures may be a little muddier but the wraps and the geometry will still be better than the old models.

The reason for bigger filesize is that there is no UVW overlapping (tiling) in the texture since I'm porting directly from unity.
Since it would take too long to re-texture exclusively for wc3 I just bake the texture.

Like so:
185888-albums6426-picture104351.jpg