• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hostile Territory, the Ultimate Shooter for Wc3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
Excellent review! I've been waiting to give a really in-depth review until I was able to fully explore multiplayer, which I think is what this game was made for.

You were spot on with most of your remarks I think, like fog, terrain, tiles etc and the grenades are fun!

However, I think the shooting system does work, it's just untested. Really, you can't judge a multiplayer game completely when you've only tested in single mode. The tactics needed to play zombie mode will be much different then tactics needed to play against other people. In my mind, the current shooting system will work just fine against other players as everyone has to use the same system, thus the difficulty applies to all players and really I can't see there being a better way of shooting/moving for a Wc3 shooter map.

Would you please, pleaaase test this map with me over battlenet? Grey Nightmare has vmed me about doing this but due to differing time zones and a few other things, we haven't played together yet, but I really want to test this in multiplayer! with someone who is interested in playing it :).

Please let me know if you'll help me test this map online, and +rep for the great review.

Level 8
Excellent review! I've been waiting to give a really in-depth review until I was able to fully explore multiplayer, which I think is what this game was made for.

You were spot on with most of your remarks I think, like fog, terrain, tiles etc and the grenades are fun!

However, I think the shooting system does work, it's just untested. Really, you can't judge a multiplayer game completely when you've only tested in single mode. The tactics needed to play zombie mode will be much different then tactics needed to play against other people. In my mind, the current shooting system will work just fine against other players as everyone has to use the same system, thus the difficulty applies to all players and really I can't see there being a better way of shooting/moving for a Wc3 shooter map.

Please let me know if you'll help me test this map online, and +rep for the great review.

All of that i totally agree on, and if you reply soon, then il host the map online so we can play. GhostThruster...you there? you should play it with us!

Level 8
All of that i totally agree on, and if you reply soon, then il host the map online so we can play. GhostThruster...you there? you should play it with us!

Reply! username is nickel510 , I play on east. Thanks superz

Edit: I'm getting online.

Edit: Well sorry I got online then forgot and went afk for like an hour lol. Not sure if you were on or not. Next time, just vm me or something!

Last edited:
@Superz: Terrain - thanks, I will fix up that shit. I didn't encounter that. In the future, I will add some more anims, and also a top and bottom 'half' system, so the legs will animate when running WHILST you cast a spell.

Gameplay: I knew it would work from the start, because the 2 things that inspired me worked well. These 2 things were Toy Soldiers, by -SnaKy(he has recently released an open version, see the map development section), and Boxhead, an online game.
If you research Boxhead, you will see that the shooting actually is pretty fun.
Btw, most of the time, your character faces the direction he is supposed to, he just doesn't show it, ie. he is actually 'facing' up, but he is looking left. In this case, when he fires a bullet, the bullet would go up.

Triggers: I assure you they are good...long and myriad, but good. Also, v0.5a and above will be open.

Effects: I tried to get the best of the best, and I did. I used the almight WILL THE ALMIGHTY effects (which are excellent) and D3W's blood splatters (both are in credits).
The fog however, I can not fix. It is just like that. You can still see them coming out, but not as well.

EDIT: What the fuck? I noticed in your screenies that the icon for Switch Grenades is Taunt? Strange....works for me. Maybe it'll be fixed once it is updated.

Ratings:
Personal - Thanks, I had fun making it. As said, take a look at Boxhead (google it).
Professional - Bugs shall be fixed, o-great reviewer. 4/5 and rejected :O Yeah, I'll keep working on it.

Superz, can you test it as well on b.net? I can't go on(actually I can, but it is just really laggy), my internet is super-horrible. It takes me like 30 min to attach a map 2.5mb.

Level 8
lol im going to host it soon. Im Superz_Ze_man on b.net not that you care ahah

nickel510 if you would be so kind and reply again lol, then we can meet up online and test this map for ghost. But wait 10 mins cause i want a shower (even though its 8pm up here in Canada :)

Edit: lol, Awww you caught me, i dled the oldest version of the map and took screenies, then realized it was the wrong version, and tested the latest map, making sure the screenies were all still the same as they would be in the new version. Dotn worry, nothing i said had to do witht he old version, only the new :D You are a very observant little bugger... Lol Im

BTW: boxhead is a very fun game! thanks for showing my it, and now i know how you want your shooting system to be like.
Ps. Is there any way you could change shortcut keys from q,w,e,r,t,y, to something like q,w,e,r,a,s,? just a suggestion ^^

Last edited:
Level 8
am I too late? o.o i got in dinner in a couple minutes tho! I'll be on wc3 afk but I'll add you to my /f l and we can play when I get back if you are on.

Level 8
TESTED!! Multiplayer

OK FINALLY, thanks to Superz_ze's persistance, we have tested the map TWICE in online multiplayer. I would have tested it more but, multiplayer is, sorry to say, very buggy.

Here is the first replay:

View attachment Hostile Territory 3.w3g

In this game, Superz_Ze was red and was unable to continue after he chose a mode. Not sure what modes he chose, watch the replay for that silly.

View attachment Hostile Territory 4.w3g

In this one, he did survival but NOT zombies. As a player on the opposing team, I experienced multiple bugs. First, my movement was always delayed. I didn't lag, but it took my character about a second to begin moving after I held down the directional arrow, making the game unplayable as a shooter is all about reflexes. Second, no guns! :(( also I don't think the grenades worked... but I did have a gun. Third, I couldn't die lol. Superz did no damage to me and neither did the hostile marines.

Hopefully these are all fixable and I wish you the best of luck on fixing them! Great map and I'd really like to test it out on a fully-functional multiplayer mode soon :). I really do hope it works out, I don't want all your work to be wasted! I'll test the next version asap with Superz or Grey Nightmare.

Thanks Superz, and nj on your map (we played his hero defense map before hostile territory). Also, if you watch the second replay you will see that Superz and I are new online-pals!

Ghost_Thruster has unwittingly brought two e-pals together. Heart warming.

Level 8
o so very heart warming :)
However i think the grenades do work in survival mode (no zombies). I remember throwing one at the beginning and damaging myself down to 6 health lol. I was testing to see if it would bounce off of a wall, and what do you know? It Did... lol
Keep it up Ghost, i want to see this in multiplayer without these bugs :D

And just FYI, you cant see the replays without the map file thing... It shows an error :(

Superz, what mode did you choose? I can't see dialogs in replays apparently. Only Zombie Mode works, that's why those guys in survival couldn't kill you.
I will add their attacks in v0.4a.

nickel, in the 2nd one, it looks like you were moving at double the speed... next time, can you test it in the same team as Superz? My camera in replays also can't switch to different perspectives.

Level 8
Hmm... odd, it didn't feel like I was going at double speed, and even if I was there was a delay. As for the grenades, I chucked two of them and never saw the explosion, but maybe I just didn't see it.

OK Ghost, next time I'll test this on the same team.

Level 8
Releasing my map tonight, but after that I'll test with you riotz, if you can play online. I would like to test all the modes of hostile territory.

Level 8
can i be in this testing marathon you guys are gonna do? :D Its hard to play online with more than 2 people...

I tried to play again and find what mode i chose, but it only gives me "survival" when im in >single player>custom games so i dont know what mode it is. I think it was the middle dialog below survival and above another. I clicked it, and it asked for number of kills to win, and there was nothing to click? Im guessing it hasnt been finished yet.

Level 8
Hmm yeah i just tried it single player and wasn't able to choose anything but survival. However, I did open up the ammunition shop and wasn't able to close it. Maybe I just fail?

Level 8
So me and roitz tested the map. Im sorry to say, theres just too many bugs to play online. We tried it twice. the first time (survival, no zombies) we couldnt find any weapons. The zombies didn't attack us (<--- will be updated in version 0.4 right?) and when i tried to buy ammo, well, i got stuck in the ammo screen and couldn't do anything. i tried clicking every button there was, but no luck :(

Hope to see a more playable version of this soon ^^ Keep working!!

Ammo Shop is not fully functioning, though you should be able to exit it by selecting the Exit button. I've fixed up the Team 2 no guns thing, my mistake, a bit of triggering I missed!
In single-player, you can't play CTF or Hostility, because, you've got no other team to beat. I believe you clicked Hostililty. Only Survival works atm.

@xRiotZx: Thanks for testing. I'm gonna make v0.5a open, so others can help me make it multi-playerable.

In v0.4b, I will add a full-functional ammo shop.
@nickel: I think they went out of screen, as in the same replay, I saw Superz' nades.

Level 8
Good to know! I myself I cannot trigger whatsoever, but I hope others can help you as this map must certainly employ quite a number of them.

Bump, great map as I said before, more ppl should subscribe! Promising map with frequent updates and always being fixed.

Goodjob ghost. I want to play this multiplayer ><

~Update!~

Version 0.4a is out now! I have just implemented the M16 and Shotgun! Also, the marines now have an attack! And I fixed that bug nickel told me about how he didn't receive weapons. Various changes made to the Zombies too, they are;
Nerfed their attack
They spawn like rats now
Slowed them down DRAMATICALLY
-this is so you can spend more time shooting than running away feverishly, however, they are still hard to kill and even more dangerous.

Oh, I highly recommend you try Survival, not-Zombie on Slaughterhouse. There are bullets flying literally everywhere!

Level 8
~Update!~

Version 0.4a is out now! I have just implemented the M16 and Shotgun! Also, the marines now have an attack! And I fixed that bug nickel told me about how he didn't receive weapons. Various changes made to the Zombies too, they are;
Nerfed their attack
They spawn like rats now
Slowed them down DRAMATICALLY
-this is so you can spend more time shooting than running away feverishly, however, they are still hard to kill and even more dangerous.

Oh, I highly recommend you try Survival, not-Zombie on Slaughterhouse. There are bullets flying literally everywhere!

Awesome, I will test this with Superz_Ze asap, I see him on b.net pretty often so it shouldn't be hard, otherwise I'll VM him about it.

Thanks for the rep btw :)

Level 7
Just an idea - i think it's hard to aim at things, so could you make a target lock system like this >> Target Lock ( it's not english, just a example, since i couldnt find any english maps with target lock system ). In that map you press Q to "lock" onto a target. Your unit faces the target until you lose the target lock ( out of sight ) and when you shoot, the bullets/lasers/whatevers will fly at the target. This ought to make aiming easier.

Level 8
Yeah a lock system would eliminate just about all of the skill and strategy needed to win. IMO, you can't judge the shooting system based off single player Survival mode a lone.

I definitely won't include the auto-lock system. Not only does it destroy the unique, Boxhead-like gameplay I purposely made for this map, it is also imbalanced, as Grey Nightmare said. That, and, I can't make the marine face the direction whilst there is an arrow key system.

@Superz: It's delicious, very delicious. But I placed it in the middle of the map, so it may be hard to get to, especially on Slaughterhouse. But it's worth it. I won't give any spoilers ;P

Told you the gameplay works :p

EDIT:
The Ammo Shop:
The Ammo Shop is a full-screen shop which you can buy ammo and items, spending your money (located where your food is). To buy an Ammo, select the Ammunition you wish to buy, and then select the 'BUY' button.
These are the available items you can buy:
Ammo} (You buy them in clips, which is like a bundle, eg. you would buy 15 rounds of Solid every time)
Solid - x15/per clip $20 - Standard rounds for the M9 Beretta and M16 Combat Rifle
Machine Gun - x30/per clip $15 - Large rounds for the M4 Carbine
Armor-piercing - x4/per clip $30 - Fast, light, and armor-pierce bullets for the Dragonuv
M26 Buck - x5/per clip $50 - Bucks containing a barrage of pellets for the M26 Shotgun
Rockets - x2/per clip $75 - Explosive rocket ammo for the RPG
Flame Canister - x10/per clip $40 - A canister of fuel for the Flamethrower

Grenades}(You buy 1 grenade)
Frag - $20, adds 1 to your Frag Grenades
Smoke - $30, adds 1 to your Smoke Grenades

Special Items}(Items bought are used straight away)
Painkillers - $100, heals 50HP over 5 seconds, increases Toxicity*
Adrenaline - $100, increases movement speed for 30 seconds, increases Toxicity*
*Toxicity is the level of toxins in your body. It will be represented by your mana. Your toxicity will decrease slowly over time, but using Special Items will increase it. Should it reach its limit of 100, your Marine will die. Limit your usage of special items!

Whenever you select an item, a Multiboard will appear with the following details:
Name: eg. Solid Ammo
Cost: eg. $20
Effect: eg. Adds 15 rounds
Used for(Ammo only): eg. M9 Beretta and M16 C Rifle

Gaining money:
To gain money, you must kill, kill, kill! Killing a creep will give you a small amount of money, depending on its strength and the difficulty setting. Killing a player (on the opposing team) will give you $10. I won't add any penalties for killing an ally (aside from decreasing your score) as friendly fire may occur quite often in this map. Also, scoring in CTF will give your whole team money.
Spend your hard-earned cash at the Ammo Shop!

Last edited:
Level 8
lol sry i have school too... Just got home now :) let me download the map and hook up my internet in order to host. Il sign on soon.

Edit: i just looked at the screenies, and what i saw was WorldEdit:Cheats Enabled. Any chance you could enlighten me on these little cheats that you have? ^^

Level 8
Well... yeah he was only on for 15 minutes and he had never played WoW Risk before >< sorry! we will try to do it tomorrow.

Level 8
Alright I'll give that a go then, and edit this post. I was just under the impression that multi-player was what you needed help testing.

Brb! Shotguns do sound tasty...

Level 8
Nah not me. Thats just the website.

Also, I just think of shooters as mainly being multiplayer, maybe you don't Ghost but thats always when I most enjoy shooters. Also, only survival mode is available to single players and I really like player-competition, which is why I would rather play multiplayer.

A campaign sort of shooter on Wc3 would be so cool, using the system you have... but thats a fantasy XD

But imagine.. something like James Bond Goldeneye or Halo campaign epicness with your hostile territory system.

ooooo

@nickel: Well, yes, but you can't enjoy something buggy and laggy and horrid :p

@xRiotZx: I'll say this for the 1000th time; FPS in Wc3 is impossible. The closest thing to an FPS is Sharpshooter, and it only has 1 gun and WSAD camera movement. And if you can tolerate the bad WSAD movement, importing all those textures for each and every frame for each different gun and action...not a pretty filesize. Now you say you don't need masks; that just ruins the whole concept of an FPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.