• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Heaven's Fall: Melee Gameplay Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
no there was no extra copy but your theory sounds logical. Strange thing is that war3mapskin.txt works fine.

My war3mapmisc.txt:
[Misc]

FoodCeiling=200

UpkeepUsage=200

UpkeepGoldTax=0.00

UpkeepLumberTax=0.00

MagicImmunesResistLeech=1

InvisibleUnitsBestowAuras=1

DamageBonusPierce=1.00,0.50,0.25,1.00,1.00,1.00,1.00,1.00

DamageBonusMagic=0.50,0.75,1.00,1.00,1.00,1.00,1.00,1.00

DamageBonusSpells=1.00,1.00,1.00,0.00,0.00,0.00,0.00,0.00

DamageBonusNormal=1.00,1.00,1.00,1.00,1.00,1.00,1.00,1.00

DamageBonusChaos=0.50,0.75,1.00,1.00,1.00,1.00,1.00,1.00

DamageBonusSiege=0.00,0.00,0.00,0.00,0.00,0.00,0.00,0.00

DamageBonusHero=0.00,0.00,0.00,0.00,0.00,0.00,0.00,0.00

MaxUnitSpeed=500.0

MaxBldgSpeed=500.0

Hey, sorry I didn't back to you Qrom; my computer broke recently, and as with any technology I can imagine having the mod not work could be quite troublesome!

My first guess about how to fix it would be this: try right-clicking the mod, and going to "Run as Administrator".

I'll be back at my computer in about an hour, and we can see if I have any other ideas for helping you between now and then in case that one doesn't work.

Edit: Hey, Qrom, I kept thinking there must be something wrong more than just "run as administrator". So, I made a different version of the mod for you to try. It's a little more complicated, but it tries to mod the game a different way so we can see if maybe it'll work this other way on your computer.

Here is what you need to do to try this other version of the mod:

1. Get Mod Files - Download the mod mpq that I made to allow people to look at the models. It actually has the whole mod in it.
Here is the link from earlier in this thread: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/92572084/hfmod.mpq

2. Get The Script I Just Wrote - Download the ZIP folder at this link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/92572084/hfmodExperiment.zip
The ZIP has 3 files in it.
Contents:
- A file called "hfmod.dll" but it's really Dumping's MultiRace Template's version of the game system, which I've incorporated into a version of the mod I haven't released yet. Don't really worry about what it does.
- A file called "hfmod_pkg.dll" that doesn't do much but I was having trouble with this system, so I included it to try to fix a couple of things I didn't quite understand about wc3's engine giving me trouble.
- A file called "playHeavensFall.bat" this is the script that will use all the other files to mod the game.

3. Put Script + Mod Archive into Warcraft III Folder - Your "Warcraft III Folder" is a place on the computer, usually "C:\Program Files\Warcraft III" or "C:\Program Files (x86)\Warcraft III" on newer machines with the (x86) version of that folder. So, just put all of these files I've just asked you to download into that folder and cross your fingers.

4. Run the Script "playHeavensFall.bat" - Run this thing with "Run as administrator" from the right-click menu for good luck.
You will see a black computer box pop up. If it works, it will ask you if you want the game in a window. You can type capital "Y" or "N", for Yes or No. Then, press enter and Warcraft III should start. If the black box says "Access is denied." anywhere in it, let me know -- that is one possible source of what's not working. But, if it doesn't, hopefully you'll see an orange Zear character and an orange version of the Frozen Throne menu appear -- if you get to that screen, then the mod is working.

Attachments

• idea1.png
    idea1.png
    32.2 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Glad to hear you like it!

I've always been bothered by the alternate form in that model, because there's a bug with the hero glow. I thought I had it fixed for a while, and it still keeps coming back.

Perhaps I'll post an improved version sometime later, where I fix the bug with the hero glow attaching to nearby units in alternate form.

Level 5
I love all the spliced models and recolors, and no that wasn't sarcasm, I think they came out awesome. I love the sea giant mount one.

Sure, but I think there are multiple of reasons that a problem like that could come up.

The HeavensFall.exe was made with MpqDraft; it adds an extra archive to war3.exe and starts it to start the game. Here are some possible problems:

- It couldn't find war3.exe and your warcraft game. This could happen if you copied your Warcraft III installation from one computer to another without installing using the disk (but you don't actually have to reinstall from the disk to fix it, I don't think). One possible solution for this might be putting the HeavensFall.exe in your "Warcraft III" folder on your computer (usually at "C:\Program Files (x86)\Warcraft III") which might help it find war3.exe.

- A virus protection program looked at HeavensFall.exe and figured out that it's starting another program (war3.exe) on your computer then hacking it to operate differently. In terms of how programs work, some virus protection thinks that is suspicious behavior and could block HeavensFall.exe from modding war3.exe, even though in this case that is what you want it to do. The fix would be finding a way to tell your virus protection that HeavensFall.exe is not a virus.

- Something else could be happening that I didn't think of yet. I'll keep thinking and let you know; in the meantime, let me know what kind of error messages you get. Did you see the fix for the other guy in this thread where the mod didn't work for him? You could try that -- it plays the mod in an entirely different way.

Level 6
Retera, I have installed it on the computer. The error I get is "Unable to locate the target to patch". And it already is in Warcraft 3 folder, along with war3.exe.

Nevermind, I fixed it! I actually didn't install it, I copied it from a different computer which was the problem. Thanks anyway.

Last edited:
Hey, good to hear it worked out for you!

The unit in my avatar is the Lumbering Graveyard building for the Risen race, which still isn't really done. I made the models for the Risen, and worldtree91 made all of the unit data, but we haven't got the unit data and some of the needed scripts finished yet.

Someone else asked for that avatar model a while ago, and I gave them a download here. As for the Risen, I've been updating the homebrew version of Heaven's Fall on and off for about a year, and I think when the Risen are done (think end of the summer/end of the year probably) I'll drop a big update.
I also think I have the technology now to make the MultiRace Template work with an EXE version of the game, but I plan to write the EXE in java so that will take a little bit of time. The two downsides are that if I do it that way (because I know java) the exe will require java on your computer to run AND I realized that the MultiRace Template apparently doesn't work on battle.net.

I suppose this is trial 5 or 6 or w/e of me returning to an abandonned project @_@

Also, if I may interest you in an ENB I modfied :) I tried it with your mod - it could be just me but I feel it looks even better with :D

2.) Triggers/JASS: Go into your triggers and use the editor to use the "Convert to Custom Text" feature on them all in a backup clone of the map. Then, use an MPQ editing tool like WinMPQ or Ladik's MPQ Editor to extract the "Scripts\Blizzard.j" file from the version of War3Patch.mpq from the version of warcraft that you want to mod. Copy all of the code of all of your triggers into this, and in the "globals" section add "trigger" and the codename of each of your triggers, as was generated by the editor (i.e. "gg_trg_Untitled_Trigger_001"). Also, go into the function specifically named "InitBlizzard" and add calls to the "InitTrig_Untitled_Trigger_001" type initialization functions from your triggers. I'm jumping through this a bit fast, hopefully it makes sense if you have a good understanding off JASS -- the main idea is that all of your triggers end up inside the game engine's Blizzard.j file instead of in your map code.
Well... I have practically no JASS knowledge, so I'm kinda confused as to how I copy the files in Blizzard.j. I know I can open it up with notepad... but where do I paste the custom text triggers? And do I have to convert trigger after the trigger because I have close to 250 and it's gonna take forever ._.

Sorry if I sound like a whiny noob but idk the anatomy of a custom text trigger, and adding calls (or what a call actually is) sound really confusing :(

I see you can export triggers from the trigger editor - can't I use this instead?

3.) Art/Icons/Models: Copy all of the art assets from your map into a folder with the object data and scripts. Essentially, all of this data that you're building up somewhere on your computer will be much easier to deal with if it's organized with the object data directly inside a folder, and Blizzard.j right inside a folder named "Scripts," as it was in the MPQ that you extracted it from. All of the models, icons, and textures in the folder should be in sub-folders representing the path that they existed at in your original maps important manager. For example, if you had "war3mapImported\dummy.mdx" in your map, you should make a folder inside your overall mod folder called "war3mapImported" and put "dummy.mdx" in that folder specifically.
Here is a picture of the folder that I used for this process in creating Heaven's Fall:
exampleDirectory.png
I guess for this one there's no way around, but just checking to see if maybe a new, easier method has maybe sprung up? Maybe? xD

Last edited:
As for your first question, converting 250 triggers into custom text sounds long and boring, and if I were you I wouldn't do it either.
There should be a feature in the editor somewhere to "export map script," or something like that. If not, you can use an MPQ editor like "Ladik's MPQ Editor" to open the map and remove the file "war3map.j" from it. Either way, you want a .j file and not a trigger definitions (.wtg or something like that) file, because even in your map the .j file is the one the game actually uses to run your trigger code.
Once you get your hands on your map's .j file, you'll find if you open it that all of the triggers have been converted for you -- the game does it in order to load them. You want to copy these 3 things:
1. All of the "trigger gg_trg_Untitled_Trigger_001" globals from the globals section of that .j file -- they can just go straight into Blizzard.j if you're lazy and nobody will even play your mod in anything but a melee map
2. All of the "Trig_Unititled_Trigger_001_Actions" type code that makes up the triggers (there'll be more than just Actions)
3. All of the "call InitTrig_Unititled_Trigger_001()" code, which will appear somewhere in the map .j file. I forget the exact specific location, but it's probably either inside of a "function main" block, or maybe something like "InitTriggers" or something like that. Anyway, those function calls call your triggers into existence, so just make sure "Blizzard.j" has that same code somewhere to call your triggers into existence.

As for the art stuff, I probably make it sound too hard. A .w3x Warcraft Map file is really just a .mpq file renamed to .w3x, and if you open in it an MPQ editor you could extract all of your custom models and icons stuff into a folder like I had done automatically, with just one use of an "Extract" tool and having the right folders selected (I'm thinking of Ladik's MPQ Editor's interface, it's a similar concept in WinMPQ but you would have to select all files instead of a couple of folders).

So you can get all of your triggers automatically converted to the .j JASS format and all of your models (with the import path kept) into a folder if you use an MPQ editor and export them. I bet you can do it! Let me know if you need any other help.

(Edit:)
PS: I mentioned earlier that you can override war3map.w3u unit data and other types of data in the game by exporting them and just using it. I'm pretty sure if you use the "war3map.j" from inside your map and you put it in the mod and you don't add the scripts to Blizzard.j instead, then bad stuff will happen to the map. "war3map.j" has more in it than triggers -- like what items are dropped by creeps, and how many players appear in the map, and other stuff that you don't want to overwrite...

Thanks for the swift reply :)

So I managed to do all the extracting and stuff, but I'm still stumped when it comes to adding things to Blizzard.j

I've extracted the war3map.j and I've just copied the 8 main sections into different text files just to sort of organise things better for myself because I get very easily confused. Anyway, here's are the sections in question:

Global Variables
Unit Item Tables
Sounds
Unit Creation
Triggers
Players
Main Initialization
Map Configuration

Now from what you've told me, I imagine the only sections I need to care about are Global Variables and Triggers (maybe Sounds as well? Because a spell in the map causes a banshee wail), but something tells me Unit Creation might be required?

The problem I'm having is where in Blizzard.j should I paste whatever it is I'm copying? (Do I paste them at the end of the document, or do I paste, say, the Global Variables content at the end of the globals section just before Debugging Content in Blizzard.j?) The stuff you're telling me to copy seem to be present in several sections and I don't really know what goes where.

Sorry for the incompetence but I'm just so confused >.<

It sounds like you're doing good; I had forgotten about things like sound variables, but you're absolutely right -- you'll want your sound variables and other custom trigger variables (all the stuff beginning with "udg_", which is really just an abbreviation for "user defined globals")

I think that it's time I got my hands on a war3map.j script myself to continue helping with as accurate information as possible, but I'm on a little mobile machine currently and will need to make time to work on it on my desktop later today to give more help. A couple of helpful JASS tips that I thought of, which might answer some questions/give you a head start, would be this:
- All of the globals in a .j file have to be defined before the word "endglobals" in the section at the top -- for whatever reason, you're not allowed to start a "globals" section anywhere else in the script. As such, you're quite right that global variables and triggers could just go at the bottom of the "Blizzard.j" "globals" section, before it says "endglobals".

The other important thing about JASS is that within any particular "function", you are only allowed to call functions that are above it in the file. So, for example, if you want the "function InitBlizzard" in Blizzard.j to start your custom code running and init your custom triggers, then all of that custom code has to be above "InitBlizzard" in the file -- so it wouldn't work if it was totally at the bottom. Other than that, though, it should be fine for it to be anywhere above "InitBlizzard" as long as it is below any "Blizzard.j" functions that your triggers themselves used (a lot of the Trigger Actions in the editor are actually functions in Blizzard.j, but they're all defined above "InitBlizzard" so it ought to work out).

Alright, so I gave it a shot and pasted stuff where you said (well, as far as I understood anyway lol) and made the MPQ with MPQ editor and all. Now, when I created the executable and tried to run it, I get an error which says:

MPQDraft has encountered a fatal error: the game does not appear to use MPQs. The game will now close.

Any idea what I did wrong?

I think that issue is a problem with MPQDraft, and not a problem with any of the code or files inside your MPQ. Is it possible that on the Step 2 of the MPQDraft wizard you had something other than the Frozen Throne selected?
attachment.php

The error you mentioned is a strange one; as far as I know, it means that when MPQDraft tried to put your custom stuff into the Warcraft program, it didn't seem to find anything in that program where it could inject an MPQ. I made my computer give me that same error by using MPQDraft twice, and the second time I deliberately pointed it at the first EXE it had produced, which creates a problem. Then, it tries to make an EXE that will inject MPQs into another injector EXE, instead of into warcraft.
So, long story short, check if you had the settings like in my picture and get back to me. For more testing with your MPQDraft, I attached a zip folder called "MPQDraftSupport". It has an MPQ mod that is very tiny -- it just changes the main menu to the human campaign menu screen. The zip folder also has the respective EXE made by MPQDraft when I used it on that mpq to create a mod. So, you can play around with your own version of MPQDraft and see if an EXE that you make out of the attached MPQ works the same as the attached one -- that will mean your MPQDraft is working properly.

Edit: I have a meeting this afternoon. I was thinking that afterwards, if I have time, I might make a short video where I put some custom triggers into a test mod and make it work, for more support with the JASS stuff if you want any.

Attachments

• MPQDraft.png
    MPQDraft.png
    105.4 KB · Views: 19,167
  • MPQDraftSupport.zip
    701.4 KB · Views: 95
I think that issue is a problem with MPQDraft, and not a problem with any of the code or files inside your MPQ. Is it possible that on the Step 2 of the MPQDraft wizard you had something other than the Frozen Throne selected?
attachment.php
I did that actually and still got the error. If I don't select TFT from the browser and just use the icon, it tells me 'Unable to locate the target to patch'. That's what I got when I tried the file test mod you linked. When I selected TFT and all with the MPQ you provided it gave me the same error as before 'MPQDraft has encountered a fatal error: the game does not appear to use MPQs. The game will now close.'

The error you mentioned is a strange one; as far as I know, it means that when MPQDraft tried to put your custom stuff into the Warcraft program, it didn't seem to find anything in that program where it could inject an MPQ. I made my computer give me that same error by using MPQDraft twice, and the second time I deliberately pointed it at the first EXE it had produced, which creates a problem. Then, it tries to make an EXE that will inject MPQs into another injector EXE, instead of into warcraft.
So, long story short, check if you had the settings like in my picture and get back to me. For more testing with your MPQDraft, I attached a zip folder called "MPQDraftSupport". It has an MPQ mod that is very tiny -- it just changes the main menu to the human campaign menu screen. The zip folder also has the respective EXE made by MPQDraft when I used it on that mpq to create a mod. So, you can play around with your own version of MPQDraft and see if an EXE that you make out of the attached MPQ works the same as the attached one -- that will mean your MPQDraft is working properly.
I don't know if it's a cause of the problem but maybe I should just reinstall my Wc3 since I've been having some weird problems with it lately. It's odd because I can run Heaven's Fall just fine without any problems.

Edit: I have a meeting this afternoon. I was thinking that afterwards, if I have time, I might make a short video where I put some custom triggers into a test mod and make it work, for more support with the JASS stuff if you want any.
ONLY IF IT'S ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEM FOR YOU. I'll also name my kids after you if you do that.

I've still been a bit busy after the meeting dealing with stuff that related to it, but I ran a little test. Does this EXE run properly on your machine? It's a little test I put together, that shouldn't be any different... but I think that maybe it is.

Edit: I recorded a video of me making a mod in 16 minutes according to Fraps, where if you push escape you get a purple doom guard at your start location and all night elf wardens have lightsabres with a custom model. I also added a trigger that whenever a warden attacks a unit, it dies instantly and it plays a sound (defend's sound but at a pitch of 0.5).

To an extent, I was just having fun messing around for the sake of example, but I didn't do a very good job narrating what I was doing, so I'm working on attaching together parts of the video and skipping stuff that wasn't important.

Attachments

• TestMPQDraft.zip
    385.5 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
So the only difference between the last two EXEs was that I used a different version of MPQDraft. Attached is the version that I used; I got it by accident from an AI development package that I downloaded a few years ago that accidentally included it or something like that. Anyway, I think it may be the very one that I used to make Heavens Fall -- and you said that worked for you, right? It must all be some quirk in your computer's Registry keys, maybe something that went wrong during installation or in a computer update/virus delete function that also deleted part of Warcraft's installation information in the computer.
That's my guess, at least. Anyway, this other version of MPQDraft seems like it uses a different way of finding Warcraft when you use its "Frozen Throne" option. Let me know if you have any luck with it.

Attachments

• MPQDraft20060913.zip
    409.3 KB · Views: 86
IT WORKED! :DDDDDDDD

Except now I can't start any maps because I fucked up the Blizzard.j modification part lol xD (could be something else but I'm betting on Blizzard.j derpage)

For more specifics, when I select a map - any map - the field where you have the option to select race/team and so on stays empty just like when you have nothing selected.

Sounds good; you're absolutely right, when it does that like that it is the computer's way of saying that Blizzard.j has a script error. It could even be a parenthesis in the wrong place, and it will do that.

I'll go work on my video. Maybe I'll add something about how to use Jass Craft to do a syntax check on Blizzard.j -- in other words, the computer actually tells you what is wrong, instead of derping like the normal engine does.

I was thinking that YouTube would be a good way to send my video over the internet, but I'm stuck by the fact that it cannot be over 10 minutes. So, I'm planning to make a second video, and that one will include how to check for script errors with a syntax checker like Jass Craft.
I have some work I have to do, so I'm probably going to do that before I make that next video.

But, if you want to watch the first one, YouTube tells me it will go live at this link when it finishes uploading:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJLHQoC3ZS0&feature=youtu.be

I'm a little dismayed by the video quality in the end -- all of the text while I was script editing all turned into fuzz. But, I tried to do some explaining while I was going, and I had some large text popup to try to help explain and guide about stuff.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I've seen longer videos on Youtube, so I know it's possible... I'm not sure, though, if one must be a "super special favorite friend" of Youtube (read: signed on, paying them money or something) in order to unlock this.

Very cool! I will have to Like and Subscribe; forgot about all your other videos. That Quadratic Formula one is quite handy. :p

Okay I have a problem. I actually edited the Initialization trigger on my map and used it to setup everything, from hashtables to starting units. I also changed the name from 'Melee Initialization' to 'Initialization', if that's of any consequence.

Also, where do I put my InitGlobals stuff? You never mentioned where in the video :/

The fact that you renamed Melee Initialization to Initialization should make all the difference; the main problem is the two names being the same when the game loads "war3map.j" out of the particular melee map you play.

Now, to make sure that the game runs without anything silly happening, I would remove the following code if it, in all or in part, still appears in your Initialization trigger. Otherwise it will happen twice (which could cause weird bugs):
JASS:
    call MeleeStartingVisibility(  )
    call MeleeStartingHeroLimit(  )
    call MeleeGrantHeroItems(  )
    call MeleeStartingResources(  )
    call MeleeClearExcessUnits(  )
    call MeleeStartingUnits(  )
    call MeleeStartingAI(  )
    call MeleeInitVictoryDefeat(  )

This code is the JASS equivalent of the melee initialization trigger actions:
attachment.php

Which will already be handled by the melee map that you play when you're playing the mod.

As for "InitGlobals", I would copy it in the same way that I did for "InitSounds", and rename it to something like "InitSpellboundGlobals" so that it won't conflict with the "InitGlobals" function's exact name in each melee map's code.

Edit: Kyrbi0, thanks for the YouTube subscription! I know a lot of people really, really want those on YouTube, and I haven't quite figured out why yet, but I'm sure it improves my YouTube-li-ness somehow and gives you the ability to see any further videos that I post. Maybe I can post longer videos if I get enough subscribers? o_O

Attachments

• TriggerActionsMeleeInit.png
    TriggerActionsMeleeInit.png
    7.8 KB · Views: 321
I haven't had time to put together another video, but here's a picture of Jass Craft at work. It has a "Syntax Check" feature for JASS.
attachment.php

The first thing that I did with Jass Craft was run a check on your Blizzard.j -- but it reported no errors, which means you definitely did a good job.
So, for further testing, I "tricked" Jass Craft a little bit. If you put your own Blizzard.j in Jass Craft's main folder, then run the syntax check on a "war3map.j" script file out of a melee map, you have a more accurate representation of what the game engine is doing. I ran a test on the script out of Booty Bay; it seemed like a typical melee map.

Jass Craft says that the issue is that "RunInitializationTriggers" still has the name it did in "war3map.j", so it's in both your "Blizzard.j" and in Booty Bay, so there are two different functions with the same name. So, in theory, all you should have to do would be to change the name of "RunInitializationTriggers". Having given the scripts a bit of a look myself, I'd also recommend making a call to "RunInitilizationTriggers" from somewhere -- that'll make it use/run that part of the code. To do that, I've attached an example where I just copied it above "InitSpellboundTriggers", renamed it to "RunSpellboundTriggers", and then put "call RunSpellboundTriggers()" at the bottom of the "InitSpellboundTriggers" function, so it would run custom triggers with the "Map Initialization" Event once it had created them. (for you, it's really just running the "gg_trg_Initialization" trigger)

Attachments

• JassCraft.png
    JassCraft.png
    87.5 KB · Views: 386
  • Blizzard.zip
    113.9 KB · Views: 86
SUCCESS! Although I do have unit duplicates when I start any maps so maybe I should just modify the existing Melee Initialization triggers in the Blizzard.j?

EDIT: Tried deleting them, but that just gave me the same problem as before. Trying to make the MeleeStartingUnitsHuman/Orc/Undead/NightElf not run but not successful so far.

Last edited:
How about this one? I went to "MeleeStartingUnits" and commented out all of the stuff it did. You have to leave the overall function there because it is used by the "war3map.j" script of each individual melee map, but you can change what it does -- like changing it to do nothing.

JASS:
function MeleeStartingUnits takes nothing returns nothing
    local integer  index
    local player   indexPlayer
    local location indexStartLoc
    local race     indexRace

call Preloader( "scripts\\SharedMelee.pld" )
    //set index = 0
    //loop
    //    set indexPlayer = Player(index)
    //    if (GetPlayerSlotState(indexPlayer) == PLAYER_SLOT_STATE_PLAYING) then
    //        set indexStartLoc = GetStartLocationLoc(GetPlayerStartLocation(indexPlayer))
    //        set indexRace = GetPlayerRace(indexPlayer)

// Create initial race-specific starting units
    //        if (indexRace == RACE_HUMAN) then
    //            call MeleeStartingUnitsHuman(indexPlayer, indexStartLoc, true, true, true)
    //        elseif (indexRace == RACE_ORC) then
    //            call MeleeStartingUnitsOrc(indexPlayer, indexStartLoc, true, true, true)
    //        elseif (indexRace == RACE_UNDEAD) then
    //            call MeleeStartingUnitsUndead(indexPlayer, indexStartLoc, true, true, true)
    //        elseif (indexRace == RACE_NIGHTELF) then
    //            call MeleeStartingUnitsNightElf(indexPlayer, indexStartLoc, true, true, true)
    //        else
    //            call MeleeStartingUnitsUnknownRace(indexPlayer, indexStartLoc, true, true, true)
    //        endif
    //    endif

//    set index = index + 1
    //    exitwhen index == bj_MAX_PLAYERS
    //endloop

endfunction

You have me intrigued as to what your mod is like, now that I tested the four races with it to see what they are like -- but my test is without any custom data. Orcs with acolytes, and night elves with floaty owls and cool green-flash birth animations.

Attachments

• Blizzard.zip
    113.9 KB · Views: 92
Oh thank you, that did the trick! (although now for some reason my starting townhalls don't place correctly so I'll need to fix that, and then it'll be good to go! :D

EDIT: Alright, managed to get it to fly right (sort of). I hope it's alright if I link the forum thread directly because it contains some tips on the mod because it's not that polished.

Last edited:
Major update to heaven's fall

This is a big update to Heaven's Fall, and the doorway for more to come!

Alright; yesterday I wrote a downloader and now I've gone nuts with UI updates. Download the attached EXE, and feel free to report bugs. It requires Java, but will handle the new and improved version of Heaven's Fall for you automatically.

Be sure to "Run as Administrator" to give it permissions to your Warcraft III Directory. Also, it requires Java and the Internet to install. Let me know if it works; I'm excited about this download-handler program that I wrote!

And now, I and my imaginary development team vanish into the realm of vacation, and away from the Internet, for several weeks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: The "Mod Editor" from the Launcher is fun to look at unit data, but will corrupt your maps. The mod editor will corrupt your maps!! Use it at your own risk until I get that fixed.

Edit: Launcher download removed. Get the new one!

Last edited:
I have tested this and I'm really amazed by this mod, I'm not going to rampage but I can't help it so
THIS NEEDS HOSTED PROJECT STATUS

Anyway, I am curious, how did you made the executable file for Heaven's Fall?
and how does the Mod Editor Corrupts Data? Disabling it from being played? making it unable to be opened by WE?
also, it seems the latest update can't find my warcraft 3, what do I need to configure? regedit? the old exe is running well tho, which is strange.

Lol, I like that.

So if you don't mind me asking, what exactly is this and does this do, differently from a executable?
He essentially made every single other mod out there look like wussies with their pansy-ass executables by providing a DOWNLOADER. His mod has a launcher that runs the executable, auto-updates, and has a mod editor (that currently corrupts maps, but w/e, beta woes). ARE YOU SERIOUS.

++++++rep

Oh and hello Kyrbi0

I have tested this and I'm really amazed by this mod, I'm not going to rampage but I can't help it so
THIS NEEDS HOSTED PROJECT STATUS
I completely agree with that.

Anyway, I am curious, how did you made the executable file for Heaven's Fall?
He actually explained it to me in this very thread. You can start from this post and then just follow the exchange between Retera and I. It should give you pretty detailed information on how to do it.

also, it seems the latest update can't find my warcraft 3, what do I need to configure? regedit? the old exe is running well tho, which is strange.
when I try to install it I have this message [PIC] ??
It worked fine for me, but I had recently reinstalled the game. Maybe try re-patching Frozen Throne to 1.26a or maybe actually reinstalling the game if you have the time.

Last edited:
Level 6
I'm having problems running this game. I downloaded the HeavensFallLauncher.exe and clicked the install button. It ran normally and I got a bunch of files. When I try to run it (not located in the Warcraft III directory) I get this error "Error renaming the game.dll to game_TFT.dll: Unable to rename file! Sometimes a right-click "Run as Administrator" can fix this." But when I do run as administrator, I get the same message.
Now when I put it in the Warcraft III directory I get this message "Error renaming the game.dll to game_TFT.dll. File already exists!" And when I run it as admin, I still get the same message.
Any ideas or suggestions?

spellbound, your answer satisfied me, thanks.
EDIT : notes that I use Patch 1.26a
I only realised now I forgot to link you the post I was referring to. there was supposed to be a link in there lol (this one). I'll just edit my previous post in case somebody else stumbles across it.

Did you manage to get the mod to work? When I was trying to make my own mod with MPQDraft the executable wouldn't run because it couldn't find wc3 even when it was 1.26a. I re-applied the patch and the executable was able to find the game. Idk, maybe it's worth noting :p

I'm having problems running this game. I downloaded the HeavensFallLauncher.exe and clicked the install button. It ran normally and I got a bunch of files. When I try to run it (not located in the Warcraft III directory) I get this error "Error renaming the game.dll to game_TFT.dll: Unable to rename file! Sometimes a right-click "Run as Administrator" can fix this." But when I do run as administrator, I get the same message.
Now when I put it in the Warcraft III directory I get this message "Error renaming the game.dll to game_TFT.dll. File already exists!" And when I run it as admin, I still get the same message.
Any ideas or suggestions?
Hmm, maybe try re-applying the mod files? The only thing I think I can suggest is a clean install/patching of warcraft 3.

With your entire Warcraft III bugged, you could try this to see if it would fix it:
attachment.php

That "Fix permanently modded game bug" button in the "Options" section might also be able to fix a corrupt game? It's worth a shot, although it'll have a problem if it doesn't know your Warcraft III folder.

I'm going to need to make some updates to that launcher to make it easier to use. I'm thinking I may have it ask to confirm your Warcraft III folder in the next update, since it appears that looking in the registry keys I thought were the main WC3 ones might not always work. It looks like MPQDraft (and thus the old HeavensFall.exe) may have had a better, more complicated, way of finding your WC3 directory.

But, for those of you who know anything about the Windows registry, the keys that the HeavensFallLauncher.exe looks for to install are:
• "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\Warcraft III\InstallPathX" for the installation and
• "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\VirtualStore\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Blizzard Entertainment\Warcraft III\InstallPath" key for backup

Attachments

• Bugfix.png
    Bugfix.png
    32.9 KB · Views: 1,293
Are you back from vacay? WB

Some notes:
The Hippogryph Rider might be the OPiest unit in the game (and thus the Final Alliance became my favourite race :p ). For example, I had 3 royal guards, a bunch of ancient hydras, my 3 heroes and some other units and they all died because the Hippogryph riders kept melting away their hit points.

I may be very wrong here but Enlightened Tide's hydra hero can rush you with a bunch of murguls before you have the time to do anything. I've had trouble with this when playing as Frozen Legion and Voidspawns, so maybe give them early defense capabilities, like making the spider-spawning thing for the Frozen Legion accessible earlier.

The Risen. I am so curious about this faction I can't wait to see how they'll look and play when completed.

Also High Elves are next, right?

Yeah, I just got back recently! But, I haven't had time to make new updates yet.

You've got a good point about the Enlightened Tide; shortly before making that update, I replaced their original AI with an experimental "Coastrunner Rush" AI that tries to spam those little guys as much as possible. If you handicap an Enlightened Tide player to 90% in the current version, it will not actually handicap them, and instead will swap out their AI for the original one.
In the same way, handicapping a Final Alliance player to 90% will make their AI a slightly different version of their current AI that experimentally performed better in some tests (so the story is that the 90% Final Alliance AI is better, but it's somewhat debate-able).

As the game has been developing recently, I've played a ton of "Armistice" games (you can find this new Heaven's Fall game mode in the "Advanced Options" section or whatever it's called) because my dad enjoys those more than the normal game, and so the needs for better early base defense have been masked from me. Nevertheless, I understand what you mean; in the original game, undead had blight and ghouls and later a town center attack to protect them, night elf ancients all attack and they had moon wells to heal in their base, orcs had burrows and spiked barricades, and the humans had militia -- so every race had an advantage if you were fighting in their own base! This is something that has been somewhat lost in Heaven's Fall, and should probably be put back unless I want it to be rush-tactics-world.
So, that "Coastrunner Rush" makes a good point of that fact.
I did give the Lost Tribe "Elemental Charge," but that basically just makes them OP unless I give something to the other races.

Edit: Time has been bringing to my attention the abundant flaws in the new EXE. I will set to work fixing them as soon as I can!

Important new update: I've attached a new Launcher EXE; it probably still has bugs, but it's improving!

PS: If the old launcher tells you to do an update to the mod, DO NOT DO IT. I made changes to the update system, and when the old program talks to the server it will think it needs to update the entire game when actually it only needs to update the Readme file (which is all I've changed other than the launcher thus far).

8:20 EST: New update fixing the just now newly updated updater.

Edit: Also working on a new Enlightened Tide upgrade for the Dragon Turtle:

Edit: How does one get their project to become a hosted project -- like if I wanted Heaven's Fall to be a hosted project as you suggested, Daffa?
HFmodTurtle.png

Attachments

• HeavensFallLauncher_test2.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 202
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.