• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Google Chrome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Are u ppl kidding me? Pages load slower on chrome if u have a faster machine, if u have a slower machine they will load slower (compared to fire fox). But the reason I use Chrome is that it uses less memory then FF, and it starts up faster then FF for me. So I dont mind a page loading 1 second slower then FF, for faster start up and less memory usage.

Level 7
I'm confused about the loading faster thingy. To me, Firefox loads noticeably faster than Chrome, which is why I only used it for a day. But maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Level 27
Another fancy new browser?

I don't care about page load time or memory usage, what matters is raw features and the GUI. From screenshots, the GUI does not look impressive, and age makes it's features lacking.

I'll stick with SeaMonkey, since I can mod it.

Level 2
I wouldn't use Chrome for normal use. I did do some testing but I don't like the fact I can't put addons. In firefox I have MyWot and Noscript which are really good for computer security. IE generally sucks in security and I do find it noticeably slower

Level 21
Surely not, I have chrome portable and with just chrome (20mb) you load a side in less then 0,5 seconds. My FF needs about 0,2 sec to fully load a side. That is ownage.

That's stupid. Portable programs usually run 10x slower than their non-portable variant. If you really want to compare the 2 on loading speeds, be fair and compare the NON portable chrome with FF. I seriously hope you're never gonna design benchmarks in your life. In any way, chrome still IS the faster website loader, unless you're doing something terribly wrong. The only downside I have discovered is the poor flash support, but on the area of speed you must be a computer noob if chrome works slower.

That's stupid. Portable programs usually run 10x slower than their non-portable variant. If you really want to compare the 2 on loading speeds, be fair and compare the NON portable chrome with FF. I seriously hope you're never gonna design benchmarks in your life. In any way, chrome still IS the faster website loader, unless you're doing something terribly wrong. The only downside I have discovered is the poor flash support, but on the area of speed you must be a computer noob if chrome works slower.
I will NEVER install Chrome, its the worlds worsest browser ever.

And the sides are loaded so fast that I don't care if chrome is a bit faster or not. FF is better because of addons, userability, even while it isn't google software.

Level 5
Chrome isnt garbage. If it is, why would people spend the time to BETA test it?

Chrome is garbage.

BTW your lucky some moderators dont delete posts they dont find interesting, or that post would be gone.

Level 8
Chrome is not garbage. If you're upset by the EULA then take the code and compile your own damn browser or use FF or Opera. Chrome is a fairly good browser, it's quite fast, discrete and lightweight, that's all. It's not genuinely revolutionary, but IMHO is ok.

Level 34
Chrome is garbage.
It's in Beta, the problems will be solved, and it's faster than FF so I don't see how it's garbage.

And it is somewhat revolutionary, for example it has a multi-process architecture allowing more to run without eating up as much memory. Also when one tab crashes, the others won't from what I've heard (haven't had it happen yet).

Level 8
It's in Beta, the problems will be solved, and it's faster than FF so I don't see how it's garbage.

And it is somewhat revolutionary, for example it has a multi-process architecture allowing more to run without eating up as much memory. Also when one tab crashes, the others won't from what I've heard (haven't had it happen yet).

I have had single tab crashes and full browser crashes on chrome. I don't know what the whole browser crashes were from, but the single tab crashes were from java or flash, I think.

Level 21
I think the current chrome problems are cpu management. I think that chrome tries to act like an OS on the area of memory and cpu demands. Every thread (tab) in chrome will constantly ask for cpu time, but flash and java applications will too. Since they're not really integrated into chrome itself but are stand-alone plug-ins, I guess chrome sometimes "crashes" because it fails to manage cpu-time correctly because it can only control its own tabs and not the plug-ins. If those applications become more chrome friendly, and I'm sure they will, those things might be fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.