• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Good games overshadowed by major releases/counterparts

Level 1
Are there any good games you can recommend — games that are usually treated as meh, mediocre, or lackluster because of better counterparts that are ACTUALLY good.

I wrote the title like this because often, good sequels or continuations of game franchises are overshadowed by bigger releases.

For example: Mass Effect Andromeda. I never played the game but most of my mates say it's a very enjoyable game. But because Mass Effect 1-3 were much better games, Andromeda was always frowned upon as a BioWare disappointment.

For me, one such title is Assassin's Creed Unity. I have to say though, when some bugs pop up, it can be quite annoying, but in its patched state, the game is actually good along with the story. It doesn't warrant a full price, but given its age and the possibility that you can find a discounted copy (physical or digital) mean the game can still be somewhat enjoyed.

Level 1
Andromeda was released as a buggy mess, that is why people did not like it.
By the time they (partially) fixed and then abandoned it, a lot of people had already moved on to other titles.
ME:Andromeda sucks because you are going to a whole another galaxy yet only two species inhabits, they scrapped so much during development a hollow shell of what it could be remains.
Yeah, I guess those are entirely valid points. And if you never preordered Andromeda, you most likely won't purchase it once you've heard it's a hot mess of bugs and glitches.

I didn't know about the two species thing; that absolutely sucks. Seeing Krogans, Turians, Salarians, etc. was the highlight of the ME experience. Particularly the genophage war between Krogans and Salarians, that one was one of the best especially in ME3.

Level 11
2 games

-system shock 2
-sudden strike series

if you are the type of hardcore person willing to put long hours into a game then sudden strike is perfect for you its like warcraft 3 an RTS game but without unit production meaning you are left with the units you start with and some reinforcements you get sometimes it prefers realism over balance which creates some issues but if you get it from steam you will get a modding tool with it that you can fix anything you dont like :xxd: