• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[FINISHED] Spells and Systems Mini-Contest #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 40
Welcome to The Hive Workshop's

spellsandsystems.gif
Spells & Systems Contest #9

Introduction
The Spells & Systems Contest is a mini-contests due to its low requirement, time limit and prize. The aim in each contest is to make a spell that matches the specification included below. To win, you simply have to try your best to make a spell with the given theme, while considering the main judging points.
Task
This contest's theme is

Augment

The spell must augment something, be it a unit's stats (like a summon, a friendly normal unit, the caster, etc...), an effect (eg "All DOT buffs on the target do 2x damage for the next 15 seconds"), abilities (eg "Frost Nova slows for 50% longer"), and so on.
Rules
  1. Post your own work only!
  2. Only one submission per user!
  3. Don't protect your map!
  4. The spell should have been started after the contest started.
  5. Do not use custom sounds, icons or models that boost your spell's effects!
  6. Your spell must support multiple levels (at least 2)!
  7. You cannot use WEU's advanced functions!
  8. The test-map should provide proper testing of the spell (low cooldown, many/respawning creeps, etc...)
  9. Both JASS and GUI are allowed.
  10. If you use any 3rd party tools, say what they are, and if they're obscure, provide a link!
    3rd party tool examples:
    • WEWarlock
    • Grimoire (and/or JassNewGenPack)
    • WE Unlimited
    • WE Helper
  11. You may use utilities (that do small jobs), but no large do-it-for-you systems.
    Examples of utilities:
    • Local Handle Variables
    • CSCache
    • Armor Detection System
    • Vector System

Examples of large do-it-for-you systems:
    • Particle System
    • Caster System

If you break the rules, you will be disqualified from the contest.
Entering
There is no specific required entry method. Just say you wish to enter, or post your spell when it's finished. Whatever works for you.

You can not enter this contest, if you
-have a negative reputation
-won the previous spells & systems contest.
Judging
Judging will follow a formula:

1. Idea (5 points) - Originality and execution of the idea is the goal.
  2. Triggering (5 points) - Making efficient, leakless, and simple (as possible) triggers is the goal.
  3. In-game playability (3 points) - Making sure your spell is easily understandable (tooltip, not overcomplicated) to the average player, as well as having a practical use in x game type is the goal.
  4. Visual effects (2 points) - Making a nice-looking (but not too complicated) effect, while not hugely hindering the spells playability value (excepting spells with this theme, such as a spell that masks the screen for enemies of the caster) is the goal.
  5. Theme (3 points) - The better the spell matches the theme, the more points you will get in this category. ex: A black hole is 'Evil' (judging by the models) magic, but it doesn't really fit 'Evil', so that would get a low rating should the contest theme be 'Evil'. A Death Bolt spell, on the other hand, would score a high rating.
Prize
A spell can earn a maximum of 18 points. It's simple, the contestant with the most points will win.
The winner's prize will be 10 reputation points, and earn a spot in the "Spells/Systems hall of fame" (list of winners of this contest).
However, the winner cannot participate in the next contest.

You have 12 days to work on and submit your spell.

The deadline is: 17th December (Monday), 00:00 GMT.

Good night, and good luck! (Let's see if anyone gets the reference :p)
~PurplePoot

Last edited:
Level 11
I would like to join in on this contest. If I don't enter anything its because *Hits his own head* I forgot...

Also since this is my first time, if theres any hints/tips any one wants to give me, they are very welcome.

Only one (triggered) spell should be sumbitted.
Does this mean I can't use additional abilities in the workings of the triggered ability? For Example: You click an ability, then a dummy caster spawns and casts another custom ability. Would the dummy caster's ability break the rules? Otherwise I won't have any way to add buffs to all the effected units...

Also I would suggest you make the point system allow for higher points. Because 1 - 17 points provides for not enough competition. 1 - 25 points would provide for much more competition.

Another question. When my spell is done, can I post it, then (as long as its before the deadline) modify it every time I find a bug?

Last edited:
Level 8
I may enter this. An augment...

[rainbow]
Virulent Poison
[/rainbow]
The Assassin has many poisons at his disposal. When he dips his sword in this, he is able to poison the next enemy he strikes.

This is not the most original spell, so I will probably come up with something different. I see this as an augment because it adds DOT to the next attack. I will use a buff to check this on attack.

PurplePoot, does this fit the contest requirements?

If someone needs an idea, ask me and I will probably have an idea for you.:wthumbsup:

Level 8
I will probably change my idea. I just want to make sure I enter the contest. I am suffering a mental blank as to what to augment (or else I would help HINDYhat)

I will be back once I have some inspiration.

Level 11
I've very bad at remembering things so I will post my completed spell now. I know this gives people an advantage over me because they can look at my spell... But w/e

I will update this spell further, the most updated version will be here at all times. (I'll stop updating after the contest ends)

I hope I do well. It took me 4 - 5 hours to make this spell.

My spell has three levels and I think its pretty cool. Check it out. (Even if your competing against me..)

JassNewGenPack + WE Unlimited
Are required to open this map!(WEU may not actually be req.)

------------------------------------------------------Please tell me this ability fits into the theme properly--------------------------------------

Update: Better chances to work without WEU, fixed a spelling error
Update2: Fixed random color change

Attachments

• SymbolsOfPower.w3x
    55 KB · Views: 91
Level 11
@ doggie_man Remember the spell must be started after the contest starts!
Yeh, I want it so start I have a good spell I have been working on for a long time.
(You said this at the end of previous contest)

Level 19
Spectrial Warrior

Bounds allies in area and creates a Spectrial Warrior from them
when it dies captured allies get released
Spectrial Warrior's damage and health depends on captured unit number
Units have level more than 3 have double effect on health-damage increasement
All units get their buffs removed after spell ends
(I didnt want summoned unit to have reduced life depends on lost health of captured units so dont ask why)

Area - Damage Gained Per Unit - Health Gained Per Unit - Spectrial Warrior time duration depends on
Ability Level - Casting Hero Level - Strength of Casting Hero - Agility of Casting Hero - Intelligence of Casting Hero

No Systems or Tools required

Used dummies:
- Damage Increasing tome
- Health Increasing tome
- Damage increasing ability (for tome)
- Health increasing ability (for tome)
- Spectrial Energy (ally capturing form)

You May Say:

This- Why didnt you do something like fade over time while capturing
Answer- Fading over time changes vertex coloring. I can't detect the default vertex color of unit so after cast ends it will mess unit up
This- ZOMG TOO MANY DUMMIES
Answer- Yup
This- Hmm why is damage-health are times of 5
Answer- To reduce gained tome number by 4/5 think about your unit has 2000 health OWN3d by lag

Last edited:
Level 12
Uhhhhhhhhh

I have an insanely great idea for this, and it's something I have never done before

A few questions, first

Can I do it in GUI?

2nd
How many extra custom abilities can we use (supplements)?

3rd
Does a spell with an AoE buff like roar type of thing count?

4th
If yes to 3rd, can a negative roar count [then i say count I mean, my spell isn't disqualified](technically, it would just be an augment down instead of up)???

5th
If I made a whole bunch of editable variables to make it easier for implementors, will that count as too many variables??

6th
Do I even need to make an implementation tutorial???

7th
For an extra implement I'm going to use item abiles with attachments so I don't need to set them to a special effect array + a timer, is that legal???

Level 40
  1. GUI is allowed, yes.
  2. As many as you want, as long as only one (the main one) is your entry - all the others can happen behind-the-scenes
  3. Yes
  4. No, because Augment specifically means an increase
  5. No limit to variables, but be wary that they may make implementation a pain
  6. No, but it's nice if you do (just a very small one)
  7. Of course using item abilities to add attachments is allowed.

Level 12
Sweet

Ok, the augmentation is a little more unique than normal :wgrin:, I'm not 100% sure if it's legal

I'll send you a finished copy soon so you can review it

Could I keep the negative AoE buff in anyways (would I lose points)???

Level 12
Really???

Dang, ok I'll remove the negative half of it, and send the final for review

*The reason I would consider it augmentation, because it greatly enhances the attack of the caster

Form of The Mutilator

Calls upon your ancestors to fill you with a blood-rage and supernatural powers
Nearby allies who hear the call feel a sudden bloodlust as well. Nearby enemies cower in fear of being disemboweled, limb by limb (negative effect removed for competition)

[This is the final]

I just remembered, I left an old implementation tutorial in there on accident, just ignore it, I wrote a walk through a while ago, and I had CnPed that map and put this spell in it (the map had everything set up)

Attachments

• MutilationAugmentPOSITIVE2.w3x
    31.4 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
Level 1
Basically a buff which increases attack speed, movement speed and gives some evasion. Hard to explain, so just download the map and see for yourself :grin:

Attachments

• [Spell] Minimize.w3x
    56.7 KB · Views: 99
Level 12
Minimize

Took a look at it

Is ok, unique

Probably fits this contest perfectly though :wthumbsup:

But you shoulda made a disabled spellbook for the evasion :csad:

Level 12
That's odd

It's a really simple spell too

You could send me what you tried and I'll show you what's wrong with it

Level 12
Why not?

I already submitted mine, and I think its insanely great, plus I like to see other peoples ideas :wwink:

Level 29
Ability Name: Cold Death

Description: Makes a buff on the target unit and then allows the player to make more damage on him with diffrent spells

Weird bug: After you cast the Cold Death and then the other "examplary" spell, the caster gets slowed for about 3 seconds :weekani:

(and yes, this is really not original, my imagination was messed up at grade 7-8 or so)

Attachments

• Cold Death.w3x
    15.2 KB · Views: 63
Level 12
Heh

Yeah your spell doesn't look like you put much effort into it :xxd:

I think you shoulda added a few more things, for one maybe a slow effect, and a visible ice attachment, (the blink is just a birth anim) so people can easily see that if I attack THAT unit, I might be able to kill it

Maybe a different way of dealing extra damage too,so other heros can dmg it with a spell, maybe certain spells do a stored real, so all you need to do is set the real index to what each level would do

Just a few suggests :wthumbsup:

(I haven't seen the bug, usually with strange extra effects, it's due to the addition/removal/absence of buffs/effects, although your spell is done properly :confused:)

Level 19
You deleted the negative buff part
why did you create negative buffs at start
this is augment challenge

PM when you got negative buff theme xD I'd like to win that one
(hope HINDY makes his spell and beat me in this one)

Level 12
I use the spells I make

The spells that I make I like to use

If I was gonna make it part of a dota map type of thing, I would keep the negatives

I mean come on, you can't have a guy who can bash people into the air and not have cowering :xxd:

It's not really a big deal though
The main augment in the spell is the insane-looking form + his supernatural bashing powers

Level 20
Yay, just in time!

THIS SPELL REQUIRES JassNewGenPack FOR vJass SYNTAX
NEXUS
manaflare.gif
[r]
The caster summons an essence of energy. The essence is linked to the caster: if the essence takes damage, the caster gains the amount of damage dealt in mana.

Level 1 - Damage dealt is gained in mana.
Level 2 - 2 * damage dealt is gained in mana.
Level 3 - 3 * damage dealt is gained in mana.

Attachments

• Nexus-SpellsSystems9.w3x
    22.7 KB · Views: 66
Level 11
Hey herman I looked at your ability. The effects are very nice. Its a fun ability. I suggest you downsize the mutilation text. Also, having the unit appear to be dead at the end of it fits well with the sliding, but, if they're not actually dead its kind of annoying.

@hindyhat
My ability aguments other stats. Ok so if I copyed blizzard and submitted it, would it get a good score because it augments mana?

You should probably modify a diff. stat.

Last edited:
Level 12
Ok

Ok ill change it up a bit
Heh, I though the text might be a tad large

I think your spells gonna win this contest
The ingenuity of it revitalized my desire to master JASS

I have no idea how you got those shapes to appear, but it is awesome :wthumbsup:

Level 12
Heh, yeah Hindy, your spell is very odd

Its cool, but the unit cost mana, and then it just returns the mana?

I can see its useful for towers or something that you would want the unit to take damage instead of your hero, but still odd

So tomorrows the deadline, we've got a bunch of spells, from the most recent

* Nexus - HINDYhat
* Cold Death - GhostWolf
* Minimize - VenomX
* Form of The Mutilator - Herman
* Spectral Warrior - Need_O2
* Symbols of Power - wd40bomber7

The suspense is killing me :razz:

Status
Not open for further replies.