• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Decrease Poly Count?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 22
Is there a program with the ability so shrink the poly count of MDX and/or MDL models? Because you can increase the count simply by increasing the smoothing factor, is there a similar way to reduce the smoothing? I just want to take a 500kb model, and drop it to 120kb or so, by mipping the texture and reducing the polies by about 300.

Level 21
To effectively reduce the polygon count of a model you need to physically edit it and optimize its topology (its polys) in a 3d modeling program. If you want to cut down on the model's file size, I'd focus on the texture, as textures are usually larger in file size (and easier to change). I'd suggest playing around with the different levels of BLP compression until you fine something that's a good file size without sacrificing too much quality.

Level 23
Milkshape has a "DirectX Mesh Tools" plugin that can reduce the polycount, so I assume your other programs of choice must have similar tools.

But if you let it run unchecked it can deform the mesh pretty badly (depending on how aggressively you reduce the count), so it's something to be used very carefully. On the other hand, it preserves UV-mapping (as much as it can be) so it's pretty handy in some tight spots.

Level 22
Milkshape has a "DirectX Mesh Tools" plugin that can reduce the polycount, so I assume your other programs of choice must have similar tools.

But if you let it run unchecked it can deform the mesh pretty badly (depending on how aggressively you reduce the count), so it's something to be used very carefully. On the other hand, it preserves UV-mapping (as much as it can be) so it's pretty handy in some tight spots.

Awesome I'll try it out. Gotta dl MS.

Status
Not open for further replies.