• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Help me to improve my model!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 31
Hello modellers,
again I uploaded a model and it seems as it will be rejected soon.
Here it is: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/bigaxe-141188/?prev=status=r2&u=chilla_killa
I need your help, so it will be approved.
The problem is the Poly Count = 503
General Frank told me to reduce the polycount to 120.
WTF? How is this possible? Won't it look like crap if it has only 120 polies?
However, if the mods want it, they shall get it.
But how would you reduce the poly count?
Making less vertices?
Using a box as staff instead of a cylinder?
I'm using Milkshape 3D.

Level 11
No it will look the same. You just have to realize few things about modeling. And keep in mind that textures make like 50% of the model. Well not making 50% of them, but they make 50% of how they look.

I'll download it now, gonna see where's the problem. But probbly its not in the stick but in the slice.

EDIT; Ok first you axe isnt even "sharp" is so make the "sharp edge" ?
Second there are useless vertexes. You can make a line with 2 vetexes instead of 4 and human eye wont see a difference.
Third, thoe holes in the axe, texture can do this. Even heard of alpha channels or transparency ? My axe that looks way better than this has 150 polies. And there I have some extra polies and vertexes that I' should fix but, as its already on the model... I cant...

Level 26
ok will tell you what you should do on your model:

1. polies:
- your model has a 10 sided handle right now. Change it to 4 sided and place it like this:
/ \
\ /
-axe blades: the sharp side is ok, but completely remove the "holes" of the inner part. Also snap the sharp side together to make it like this:
/\
-- instead of

--
| |
--

-also snap the spikes.

textures:
-use units/creeps/skeletonorc for the skull as it has a much better quality
-search under ui/glues for a better texture for theblade and the handle

Status
Not open for further replies.