• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Shooting / FPS] Dark Sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
Welcome to my little development thread.

This time I'm working on a small school project using WE. My project will be a multiplayer co-op third person shooter game. It's multiplayer but can be played only with one PC, using joysticks...

The deadline is 14th December (they only announced it last week on Friday, sweet huh?). My time is so limited, not to mention final exams I have to deal with. I have roughly 7 days left to finish this map.

I started the project on 11/26/2016 at ~18:00
I don't know what I can do with such a short time. But here is what I got for now:
1.png 2.png 3.png

Older screenshots

Actually I have a video on me working on the map within the past 1 hour. But it's 2GB huge so I will upload it later (or not at all lol). This is the short version (the result of the past hour work = "the fail bridge"):

Gee I have to rest now...

EDIT:
Here ya go.. one compressed video...

Last edited:

Kazeon

Level 33
very nice! I shall keep my eye on this :D
Thank you! Tehee

But anyhow, this is some crazy awesome work. Subbed.
Thanks. But I think you are just hyped with HD models I use. I barely give any effort to the terrain actually.

Anyway, this map won't turn out as well as planned I suppose. My little bro just bought me game called Ark and I spent the whole last 4 days playing it LMAO! So I have 4 days left yet I haven't made any progress since my last post here. RIP school project confirmed

Kazeon

Level 33
I got my self into the project again! :D
I focuses today for visual enhancement, started working on forest area, and basic shooting mechanism.
Damn! One day left and there are still tons to do lol

1. Stepway to the first boss room
1.jpg

2. Lava area in the first boss room
2.jpg

3. First boss room
3.jpg

4. Waterfall area
5.jpg

5. Initial area
6.jpg

6. Initial area 2
7.jpg

7. Intro cinematic
8.jpg

8. Forest area entrance
9.jpg

9. Class selection scene
10.jpg

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

Kazeon

Level 33
The new screens seem really cool
Thanks! :)

I have finished the map today. I finished effectively only in ~6 days lol. So guess what, it's a bit lacking. I submitted the project even without bug testing at all, it was pretty fked up.

Here is what I got for now (newly added):

1. First boss appearance
1.jpg

2. First boss fight
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg

3. Killed it
7.jpg

4. Second boss appearance
8.jpg

5. Second boss fight
9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg

6. Killed it
12.jpg

7. River area
13.jpg

8. Lab area
14.jpg
15.jpg
16.jpg

9. Third boss appearance
17.jpg

10. Third boss fight
18.jpg
19.jpg
20.jpg

This is my to do list before uploading it here:
- Improve terrain a bit
- Finish intro cinematic
- Add multiple classes
- Add multiplayer support (probably)
- Add smaller monsters
- Improve joystick control

Kazeon

Level 33
Hello, I've been expanding the river area today. The hydra boss will be moved there, the previous spot will be used for a new boss (not decided yet).

This is how it looks atm.
1.jpg

2.jpg

If someone happen to have interest to know how it's made, I recorded the whole process. I only made the video 2x faster. The area is not finished yet tho. Anyway here it is:

(Part 1)

Kazeon

Level 33
maybe use spoiler tags
No. :D

Damn, it looks awesome. Keep it up! ~
Thank you!

Very nice! I would suggest a bit of vegetation to break the repetitive rocky look though :D
Okie!

@deepstrasz: err.. can you make posts instead of reps to ask questions?
Well, if I'm to add keyboard control, I will still use custom keyboard natives using Sharpcraft eventually. Because the native one, you know, has terrible delay...

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Very nice! I would suggest a bit of vegetation to break the repetitive rocky look though
Depends on what kind of planet it is... but seeing how it has fleshy life forms on it, plants won't be a weird addition.

Well, if I'm to add keyboard control, I will still use custom keyboard natives using Sharpcraft eventually. Because the native one, you know, has terrible delay...
Well, I don't know stuff about that but as long as it works through Warcraft, then it's a wonderful addition (+the bigger number of people able to play the map).

Interesting project... I will definitely check it out once it has a decent amount of presentable gameplay.

Here's a big suggestion for you though; it's a thing I learned the hard way:
Try to avoid invisible platforms. They suck and will make the movement of your character along the z-axis blocky and unnatural.

If you have lots of doodads you want walkable, either make them walkable destructables so that your character will naturally walk over them, use the alpha tile to create smooth curves upwards and down or use custom invisible platforms that are tilted so that the character won't instantly jump along the z-axis when walking the path.

But there is another elegant approach: interpolate the character's flying height between invisible platforms so that when the character is between two invisible platforms adjacent to one another, the character's flying height gets adjusted to be half the z difference between both platforms to smoothen it out.
... actually, that last idea would be a great general purpose system. I guess I will code something like that today.

Status
Not open for further replies.