• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Colossus Fighting map (Atleast its what i should call it now)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 20
I'v been having an idea in my head for awhile and i just wanted to write it down here so it wont be forgotten :), its still a part of my idea though (the biggest part, so this is not a whole new map idea)

Here, im thinking of a map where you can select your hero-class and go hunting, and some bosses will be extremely huge (this is what i want to talk about). The boss will only have no-target skill like slam, attack forward, turn around and attack which deals massive damage around it -especially behind it-, use it's tail to attack behind or event run around while fighting and it would hurt someone on it's path (and alot of stuffs i want to list down but maybe later). The heroes would have they're own class-skill like (just example):

Warrior jumps up and strike in the boss' head which deals more damages

Ranger has a skill to jump backward to dodge the attacks

Tanker has a skill to block the boss' attacks. Would add a healer too.

Heroes will only have no-target skills as well, normal attack will be removed and replaced with a skill which has A as it's hotkey and your hero will auto attack (1 or few hits) when you hit A. well thats almost all what i want to say now. For all those things above, it would be a PvE map, im still thinking what i should do to make a PvPvE map :/

Or this could be an Attack on Titan map as well xD

Last edited:
Level 12
Interdasting, here's what I have to say:

Colossi usually have separate, attackable parts. You will need some way to handle collision detection. The (a) specific points where players must attack in order to damage a certain body part—or 'hurtboxes'—the (b) unwalkable areas induced by obstructions by colossus body parts, and the (c) pain of having to update both of these 'hurtboxes' and 'unpathable areas' according to the colossus's current body part positioning are all related to collision detection. Maybe you don't really want something as complicated as this, but I think these characteristics are important in differentiating this game from the somewhat stale WoW-esque boss fighting maps out there

Also, you would need to use very specific models with very specific animations (both colossi and player characters) to pull this off in a non-crap way. Judging by your models, I don't think this would be a problem, but it'd be a huge workload

ALSO you'd probably need some degree of 3D physics and a custom combat system or some shit

tl;dr map would be hard to make but could be cool if done properly :goblin_boom:

Level 20
Thanks for commenting ;)

I can say, i can handle the models part (and coding too but maybe its too much for me alone lol), we can make the attackable parts of the colossi more... simple, for example i will make a specific model which has 4 legs, a tail, and have 10 meters tall, then when you attack it from behind it means you attack it's tail, and when you jump, there'll be a small trigger which will count from 1 to 10, if you press attack button at 8-10 that means you attack it on it's head, something like that :p, just my idea for the codes ;)

Level 12
I can say, i can handle the models part (and coding too but maybe its too much for me alone lol), we can make the attackable parts of the colossi more... simple, for example i will make a specific model which has 4 legs, a tail

Ah I see, that approach hadn't even crossed my mind, but the problem here is that you'd need to synchronize the animations of the body parts. Like if you're doing a tail swipe animation, it's not just the tail that's moving: other body parts move in reaction to the tail moving (although very slightly). So all four legs, the head, the body, and the tail would need unique animations, all working together to contribute to the single 'tail swipe' animation.

Well... animating the tail only would work too, but it would look really stiff.

Finally, walking animations would be a huge pain in the ass unless you intend on the boss sitting still

when you jump, there'll be a small trigger which will count from 1 to 10, if you press attack button at 8-10 that means you attack it on it's head, something like that :p

ya I guess that could work
but I think an overarching 3D physiczzz system would work a lot better

Status
Not open for further replies.