• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Cinematic] cinematic section seems to be dying?

cinematics

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
I'll be working on one too, it'll be ready right after my exams:)
The Bloodline was awesome, I really hope you'll continue it, I'm still awaiting the next one.

Level 7
I can make a cinematic no problem, making a good one however.. ehh... lol Still if everyone wants to get a cinematic contest rolling, maybe even an unofficial one just to get some support? It would really be awesome to see the cine section go out with a bang. Or reignite that pilot light that's about to die out.

Level 7
That's just not true. WoW, while being constantly improved has the same 10 year old engine to work with. Warcraft 4 is quite a possible reality, though we'll have to wait a year or two more for it to be announced alone, and then another ten (as Blizzard has a habit of doing) for it to be released.

Well, if it'll be released in 2022, god knows if Blizzard will be still working on Warcraft, or if any current player will be in eleven years time...

Level 19
Don't worry, Blizzard isn't dumb enough to just depend on one game. Anyways, get a cinematic contest rolling, somebody.

Level 14
Exactly, which has nothing to do with what full-scale cinematics are all about. Cinematic intros need to be quick and short or else the players get bored. Who'd play Dota if it had an obligatory 10 minute intro? Nobody. And if you add an escape sequence than nobody ever watches cinematic intros (usually even the people who play the map for the very first time skip it).

There's no place for art and cinematography in a cinematic intro, and there shouldn't be. Cinematic intros are just a synonym to instructions you can print on the loading screen.

Level 14
This topic should be closed. It's completely clear, without a single doubt, that there is no chance for a cinematic contest or, for that matter, a single cinematic project. It's just becoming spam now.

The only thing this topic succeeded in was proving what people already guessed - warcraft 3, especially its cinematic development field is pretty much dead.

Level 9
I miss the cinematic mapmakers...I'm one of the old guys out there who make cinematics, during my time there were plenty of them who made good cinematics
rulerofiron666, Zurg, TheGreatNoob, Teal, Infrane/Anitarf, Phoenix (many guys copy his name) etc.
I was currently working on Battle Royale 8 last year, but I still haven't been able to finish it up to now...I'm still half-way through...kind of getting lazy...meh.... :(
I vote for a cinematic map contest....I'll try to enter to since I don't have classes anymore after this saturday...I can whip something up fast.

Level 7
Although, a lot of the maps being released (good ones) do have a lot of cinematics/cutscenes, I'm not advertising, but for example my newest map which has more than 10 cinematics. Making a cinematic map only is very rare these days, but cutscenes in other types of maps are still featured. So I guess that's a plus?

What I think most people want, is to be remembered for their in-depth story and compelling game play, rather than just a movie-map most people are only going to watch once and then put it aside or delete it.

Level 18
I'm not advertising or bragging or trying to sound good or nothing... but i am currently in the progress of finishing off The Last Samurai, my Cinematic story.
I'm just stuck at the moment, on the last battle. After i have finished that and polished the rest of the map up, i will upload it. xD don't know if it will make any difference though.

Level 16
and i have been making a survival horror-Mystery-Dungeon Crawler-strategy-ATB Time Based-RPG.
60% of the game will be cinematic, 40% of the game is non-stop action-survival.

i don't know if wc3 could bring a horror- kind of a a feeling. but i am making a lot of experiments on it.

Level 19
Good job on your map, just a little more changes, some more sudden stuff (And maybe a really scary Korean ghost model I saw in Silent Hill) which appear could help add to the "scariness" too.

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

Wow yeah... I went away for over two months and the main page looks relatively the same...

Level 13
With a contest it is important you set up an interesting theme/genre, and draw the attention of right crowd. It's hard to get cinematographer to start making cinematics cause frankly there aren't many of them left.
I myself started making Cinematics with the StarcraftII editor.
If there is a really interesting theme/genre and more than a handfull cinematographer tend to join, who knows I might throw my 5 cents in the old editor and brew up something.

Level 18
In my opinion, an 'Open-Theme' Cinematic Contest would be better choice to revive 'Cinematic Making' plus bringing people to compete in the contest.

Not everyone can make a Battle/Horror/Comedy cinematic, let the contestants make whatever cinematic they want according to what they are best at. That way, they will not be bound to a certain 'genre' and are free to display their story/tale.

Status
Not open for further replies.