• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Chronicles of Azeroth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Glad to hear it! Know that some of us are watching this thread regularly, so an update once in a while is a good idea to assure us that the mod isn't dead :).

Thank you. Its good to know there are active followers. The demo version for Warcraft 2 is close. I didn't mention yet why it will be a demo version.

-The following units/buildings won't be avaible for players yet, and will be impleneted fully in later versions:
-Submarine/Giant Turtle
-Sapper/Demolition Squad
-Dragon/Gryphon Rider
-Dragon Roost/Gryphon Aviary
- Some actor related stuff will be less polished
-Demo terrain

Current and future goals:
-release Warcraft 2 multiplayer demo version
-Add the remaining stuff for wc2, fix any bug encountered, polish
-Update the finished wc1 campaign maps to the newest mod version the multiplayer use (working on it already but its a slow process as we already have around 24 maps)

Other goals that i can't do until i got a proper team for the mod (won't happen without said team or help from people)
- giving decent art assets for remaining units and buildings for wc1 and wc2
-finish remaining wc1 campaing maps (around 5-6 orc one)
-add AI
-create wc2 campaign

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
Wow I am so excited ! Have to reinstall SC2 immediately!

EDIT: Please update the music to the high quality versions. Currently you are using the light edition designed for people without a proper sound card (how it was back in the 1990s for some people).

Last edited:
Level 7
Wow I am so excited ! Have to reinstall SC2 immediately!

EDIT: Please update the music to the high quality versions. Currently you are using the light edition designed for people without a proper sound card (how it was back in the 1990s for some people).

I directly imported the sounds from Battle.net edition, so i don't think there are higher quality ones.

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
By the way. I noticed several things (most of which you are probably aware):

-Axethrowers dont have any upgrades past the 2 damage upgrades. Their attack is different from WC2. The attack speed is consistent in WC2 whereas in your map they do a double attack and then wait.

-Oil field needs a new model, I know it is placeholder, but either that or scale it down. The model is too vertically intrusive when using ships.

-All aoe units use catapult/ballista attack sound. This is very annoying.

-Battleship's aoe on impact animation is exaggerated. It looks as if it hits a much larger area than it actually does.

-Please use a different tree model. It looks very ugly and also hides units close to it - something that never happened with WC2 2d graphics.

Level 7
By the way. I noticed several things (most of which you are probably aware):

-Axethrowers dont have any upgrades past the 2 damage upgrades. Their attack is different from WC2. The attack speed is consistent in WC2 whereas in your map they do a double attack and then wait.

-Oil field needs a new model, I know it is placeholder, but either that or scale it down. The model is too vertically intrusive when using ships.

-All aoe units use catapult/ballista attack sound. This is very annoying.

-Battleship's aoe on impact animation is exaggerated. It looks as if it hits a much larger area than it actually does.

-Please use a different tree model. It looks very ugly and also hides units close to it - something that never happened with WC2 2d graphics.

-Axethrower update: that is new to me, they can be upgraded into berserkers etc etc. I check if it isn't show up in the live version.
-All aoe units used the same impact sound, i checked them in BNE. Ships had no launch sound - i may remove that part, but then they silently launch.
-Axethrowers double attack is visual, the second axe does no damage.
-tree: i may gonna use wc3 outland one, but keep in mind that 3D trees will always hide some units. Its the nature of 3D.

Level 7
Cool. Btw did you change the music yet? Listen to the HD files I showed you

I don't really hear differences, but i can replace them just to make sure. At the moment i'm working on a big patch for both Warcraft 1 and 2. Either i release it on January or i dissect the patches into two smaller ones. The planned patch notes:
Warcraft 1:
-Damage system updated: Divided into two category
-Minimum Damage:unaffected by armor
-Random damage: -1 damage/armor
-upgrades changed:
-Level 1 weapons give +1 Minimal damage and +1 Random damage
-Level 2 Weapons give +2 minimal damage
-Level 1 and 2 armor gives +2 armor instead of 1
-plan to update many arts using Armies of Azeroth assets (if they truly release it to the public as they said)
-smaller improvements, bugfixes

Warcraft 2:
-Damage system updated:doing 50-100% of the maximum damage, divided into two category
-basic damage: -1 damage/armor
-piercing damage: unaffected by armor
-Weapon updates gives piercing damage bonus
- ui shows effective damage (minimum damage dealt all the time-maximum damage)
-Music files replaced to HD ones ;)
-plan to update many arts using Armies of Azeroth assets (if they truly release it to the public as they said)

Also Starcraft 2 file limit increased to 80 on arcade, which bring us one way closer to release campaigns. Although still waiting for a campaign support from Blizzard. Like one in the Warcraft 3 but in sc2 arcade.

Last edited:

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
Sounds good Viktor! :) Don't worry about activity on the forums. I am sure that it will come when you start releasing full versions of gameplay with many screenshots (+ perhaps a little trailer/gameplay video) and maybe even get the project to Hosted Hive Projects.

Level 7
I decided to go with the split updates so the following improvements are live:

Warcraft 1:
-Damage system updated: Divided into two category
-Minimum Damage:unaffected by armor
-Random damage: -1 damage/armor
(UI shows combined damage)
-upgrades changed:
-Level 1 weapons give +1 Minimal damage and +1 Random damage
-Level 2 Weapons give +2 minimal damage
-Level 1 and 2 armor gives +2 armor instead of 1

Warcraft 2:
-Damage system updated:
- doing 50-100% of the maximum damage
- divided into two category
-basic damage: -1 damage/armor
-piercing damage: unaffected by armor
-ui shows effective damage (minimum damage dealt all the time-maximum damage)
- Fixed Elven Ranger update
- Added Dwarven Demolition Squad/Goblin Sapper
- small improvements, fixes

BTW: Warcraft 2 is 20 years old this month ;)

Last edited:

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
Cool Viktor. When you release with music, I'll play it again :)

Also if you could make a (basic) ai it would be great. An ai that simply builds footmen/grunts, archers & catas/ballistas and send them against the opponent in attack move would be fine. In Wc3 this is easily done, but I dunno about SC2 Galaxy editor. The point is to allow some single player testing - not to make a real AI. :)

Level 7
Cool Viktor. When you release with music, I'll play it again :)

Also if you could make a (basic) ai it would be great. An ai that simply builds footmen/grunts, archers & catas/ballistas and send them against the opponent in attack move would be fine. In Wc3 this is easily done, but I dunno about SC2 Galaxy editor. The point is to allow some single player testing - not to make a real AI. :)

I go for a week having family Christmas, but i did a quick update on the live version with the music for you :p. I can't tell anything for sure about the AI.

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
Alright so I tried out the new version. Here are some ideas for improvement:

-Add a custom icon for catapult/ballista upgrades.
-Allow players to research berserk/ranger BEFORE damage arrow/axe. This is how it was in WC2 but not in the current version of your map.
-The ballista/catapult missile is too fast. In WC2 it could be easily avoided with micro, but in your map it will hit with some of its aoe no matter what making these siege units much deadlier than they were in the game.

-Allow sappers/demolishers to explode on ground + friendly units and trees.
-Make units running animation speeds fit better: The peasant looks good at the moment, but the knight and the ranger (for instance) could use some tweaking to look more natural.
-Use the WC3 tavern model for the stables instead of the doodad barn.

-give the heal spell a new hotkey (H is shared by hold position and therefore doesn't work)
-Give heal an effect art/animation on target. (it was a blue flash in WC2).
-Let lumber mill be a drop off for lumber.

-Make lumber harvesting slower.
-add a more fitting icon for the oil ressource (One that resembles a barrel would do the trick).
-Allow the mage/death knight to use their target spells on both enemy and friend (as in WC2).

(sorry for double post)

Level 7
Alright so I tried out the new version. Here are some ideas for improvement:

-Add a custom icon for catapult/ballista upgrades.
-Allow players to research berserk/ranger BEFORE damage arrow/axe. This is how it was in WC2 but not in the current version of your map.
-The ballista/catapult missile is too fast. In WC2 it could be easily avoided with micro, but in your map it will hit with some of its aoe no matter what making these siege units much deadlier than they were in the game.

-Allow sappers/demolishers to explode on ground + friendly units and trees.
-Make units running animation speeds fit better: The peasant looks good at the moment, but the knight and the ranger (for instance) could use some tweaking to look more natural.
-Use the WC3 tavern model for the stables instead of the doodad barn.

-give the heal spell a new hotkey (H is shared by hold position and therefore doesn't work)
-Give heal an effect art/animation on target. (it was a blue flash in WC2).
-Let lumber mill be a drop off for lumber.

-Make lumber harvesting slower.
-add a more fitting icon for the oil ressource (One that resembles a barrel would do the trick).
-Allow the mage/death knight to use their target spells on both enemy and friend (as in WC2).

(sorry for double post)

-Atm i'm looking for a good icon for those that are missing.
-Berserker/Ranger update was never before the attack upgrades. The order is correct. (Rangers indeed have one extra damage upgrade after the ranger update, trolls have regeneration instead)
-sappers/demos do friendly damage, i want to apply the tree stone stuff too later.
-I'm trying to make the running animations fit, but as some of the models are still placeholder or have issues in size etc its hard to achieve. The two models you mentioned the best example to these issues.
-i already use tavern for Oil Refinery :/
- For some spell i intentionally didn't give friendly and foe target as it could cause chaos in large battles, but i will think about it.

Some of the stuffs like lumber mill and spell effect arts are strange, i remember i've done them so maybe 3.0 screwed them and i didn't notice. So yeah i will fix it.

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
You are wrong about the ranger/troll upgrades. In wc2 you could get the 2 dmg upgrades from the start whereas the 4 extra upgrades required stronghold/keep. So you see, the ranger/berserker upgrades unlocked with tier 2 town center. Also, after researching ranger/zerker, the player could decide which of the 3 upgrades to get on his own.

Conclusion:
In your map the ranger/zerker REQUIRES the previous dmg upgrades. This is a mistake. If you dont believe me, go check wc2.

About the sappers:
I want to request changing their kaboom spell targetting to on ground instead of on a unit.

Level 7
You are wrong about the ranger/troll upgrades. In wc2 you could get the 2 dmg upgrades from the start whereas the 4 extra upgrades required stronghold/keep. So you see, the ranger/berserker upgrades unlocked with tier 2 town center. Also, after researching ranger/zerker, the player could decide which of the 3 upgrades to get on his own.

Conclusion:
In your map the ranger/zerker REQUIRES the previous dmg upgrades. This is a mistake. If you dont believe me, go check wc2.

About the sappers:
I want to request changing their kaboom spell targetting to on ground instead of on a unit.

Hmm truly, my mistake. I will change it then. Anyway thanks for the feedback, it helps a lot and happy new year :)

Level 7
new patch:
-corrected lumber mill upgrade orders
-lumber harvest slower
- your workers can drop off lumber to the mills
- several visual effect of abilities added or replaced
- demo squads can target point now
- catapult and ballista projectile slower.

Level 4
Hi how can i download the map on starcraft II?
On the arcade i can't find them what ever I do. I just got the extension Wings of Liberty, did I need Heart of the Swarm and Legacy of the Void?

Level 7
AS far as i know Arcade is free for everyone and you can play any map with even starter edition. Search for COA or Wc1 or Wc2 and it shall be shown. Also be sure you are on the EU server.

Level 4
I am on the Eu version and thanks for the help I will try it

Thanks it's work.
I have only try the warcraft I map but did the catapult isn't a little to much strong? And we can only have one gold mine so maybe it need more gold inside.
After i haven't play warcraft one so maybe it was like this.

Last edited:

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
Viktor you should update the Original post if you want people to realise how cool your project is. Right now it doesn't even show that you have gameplay for WC1 and WC2 (mostly) finished.

Level 7
Cold War

The forces of Azeroth marching to their freezing death. Coming soon..ish.

Attachments

• Islands Rough.PNG
    Islands Rough.PNG
    2.4 MB · Views: 282
Level 7
I am on the Eu version and thanks for the help I will try it

Thanks it's work.
I have only try the warcraft I map but did the catapult isn't a little to much strong? And we can only have one gold mine so maybe it need more gold inside.
After i haven't play warcraft one so maybe it was like this.

"keep the good job guys and we can't wait for the release of the campaign ! "

Thank you very much. Yeah the Catapults were Quiet strong but you can avoid their damage as they are targeting points. just walk away from the impact place. There are many Gold Mines on the map, you can harvest from them. Ofc your peons will walk longer distances as there is only one town hall in wc1.

Level 7
"Join the army,' they said. See the world,' they said. I'd rather be sailing."
Would you rather explore the oceans too? Then prepare for our next Wc2 map land-dwellers. It will be a Fierce Ocean Combat! This original Wc2 map is all about naval combat as every player start on one of the eight islands. There is no other way to conquer your foes than sailing your almighty armada and hoping your transport ships land safely.

With the next map we will add a few bug fixes too, for example your peons will now search for lumber in a wider area.

Prepare your warm clothes, next map and version is coming soon!

Attachments

• (8)Fierce_Ocean_Combat_BNE.jpg
    (8)Fierce_Ocean_Combat_BNE.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 184
  • Screenshot2016-03-24 10_04_01.jpg
    Screenshot2016-03-24 10_04_01.jpg
    660.7 KB · Views: 264
  • Screenshot2016-03-24 10_05_17.jpg
    Screenshot2016-03-24 10_05_17.jpg
    674.4 KB · Views: 233
  • Screenshot2016-03-24 10_11_10.jpg
    Screenshot2016-03-24 10_11_10.jpg
    722.8 KB · Views: 214
Level 7
New map and New patches are up:

Wc1:
Balance changes:
-Increased Catapults fire period from 4 to 6
-Increased time of lumber harvest
Modern Gameplay mode changes:
-Added autocast for the following abilities: Heal, Raise Dead, Minor Summonings
-Increased the supply provided by Farms by 6.
Cosmetic:
-Added new Archer model and fixed attack missile.
-Added art for the Water Elemental's attack

Wc2:
New Map: Fierce Ocean Combat:
-Excelent for naval combats. Islands with no connection to each other.
Balance changes:
-Increased catapult and Ballista fire period from 4 to 6
-Increased Juggernaut and Battleship fire period to 6
-Increased Destroyers fire period to 4
-Increased Cannon Towers fire period to 4
-Increased time of lumber harvest
Modern Gameplay mode changes:
-Added autocast for the following abilities: Heal, Bloodlust, Raise Dead, Slow
-Increased the supply provided by Farms and Town Hall by 6.

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
Any estimate on dragon/gryphon & turtle/submarine release? They really make the game more interesting =).

I just played the new version:
-Noticed that the sappers (at least on the old map) still cannot destroy trees. This is very unfortunate as most gold mines are locked inside trees so workers is the only option. Also the Demolish ability lacks an explosion effect sfx.

-I think the catapult should have 1 more range. It is always hard to get range right when converting from 2d to 3d games, but I think currently it is a bit too short.

-Slow down the death knight's movement animation speed. It looks hilarious when he moves at the moment, as if he is in a hurry, but doesn't get anywhere.

Additional suggestions 10/5/16:
-The overall unit speed seems... rather slow. WC2 was not this slow paced (when playing on normal speed). I think a 25% all around movement speed boost is in order.

-The paladin/ogre magi upgrade has a wrong price. It should be 1000 gold for both.

-Cannon towers and guard towers have no price. This should be fixed. Also they don't have a different model from the scout tower, making it really hard to detect them on the fly.

-Ship projectiles should be more visible. In WC2, you could basically dodge (at least most of the damage of) cannonballs with good reflexes.

Last edited:
Level 7
Added a quick update:
-Added Submarine/Giant Turtle to the shipyard
- Corrected the cost of the following buildings: Scout/Watch Tower, Guard Tower, Cannon Tower
- Corrected the cost of Ogre Magi/Paladin upgrade
- Ships's are more seperated, less likely form a deathball

Level 7
Our soldiers reported strange sights from the sky. What can be preying on them?

Also our mod is chosen for the Bi-Weekly testing on sc2mapster, so if you are looking for some gaming against others you may find more ppl now.

Attachments

• teaser.jpg
    teaser.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Level 7
I have sad news to report :( New Sc2 patch created a huge problem in the wc2 mod. For some reason you can't build oil rigs over the patches. I'm looking for the problem but so far i don't see any changes in the data so it must be the work of the new patch. I'm trying to fix it as quickly as possible as without oil you can't produce naval units

Level 7
Added a new patch:
-Added beginner tips (and naval tips for wc2) for the maps
-Corrected the drag selection of the bugged units, you can drag select every unit now.
-removed the problematic edges in Fierce Ocean Combat. We will experiment with other type of edges in the future to see if we can achieve a similar good looking edges without the problems it created.
-Enlarged the sea area on Dark Peninsula to make naval combat more smoother.
Also I plan to implement the tech tree. Just need to find a good way to add it.

Attachments

• wc2tech.jpg
    wc2tech.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 195

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
What is the prospect of an AI being added? It would be really awesome. Even if it is simple, like it can only build a very simple base and send footmen/grunts against it's enemy.
This would of course be useful for the purpose of testing the gameplay in singleplayer also. Even more so if it can also build ships.. but I suppose that's harder.

Level 7
Most likely when i find someone who can make Ai or find a good tutorial about it. I tried to make it work many times but i failed.

Anyway new version is up:
Both:
-Added custom race selection in the lobby. You can choose Orc, Human and Random race now.
-Changed default gameplay mode to modern from classic as its more pupolar
Warcraft 2:
-Alert now properly show when people tries to place a naval structure on land.
-fixed the upgrade price of keep/stronghold and castle/fortress
-you can see the human and orc units in the help menu now
Warcraft 1:
-added new archer death model

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
One simple way of adding singleplayer is allowing some sort of waves mod, with mobs just attack moving towards your base. That doesn't require any AI :).

Thanks for the nice update btw. Can't wait to see a campaign map :) my favorite is the orc5: Tol Barad
:)

Level 7
One simple way of adding singleplayer is allowing some sort of waves mod, with mobs just attack moving towards your base. That doesn't require any AI :).

Thanks for the nice update btw. Can't wait to see a campaign map :) my favorite is the orc5: Tol Barad
:)

yeah that is the way i'm currently done the campaign enemies. A little bit spiced up with randomised spawn points and units+ guardian units alerting the base to send more etc.

Level 7
Any news? :)

I'm busy with university exams so no new version before 1st of july. But the next one will be a big one. Including on or two new maps, tutorial mode for beginners, sappers ability to detonate on rocks and trees, balance on numerous spells and few attacks. Also this will be the version i plan to release on all servers, aka the real "1.0" of the mod.

Level 7
Released new version of mod on Eu server including:
-new wc1 map: "A bridge too far". 1v1 map. River part the map on the middle, only two bridges connect the two sides.
-Removed beginner tips and added tutorial mode. In tutorial mode ppl will receive helpful tutorial messages throughout the game.
-Sappers and Demo squads can detonate on rocks and trees now.
-done numerous balances on spells of wc2.
-done several art fix.

I postponed the release on the other servers until august when i come back from vacation.

Status
Not open for further replies.