• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Campaign Contest #1 - Free theme

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
I'm working on a smaller campaign, should be quite interesting if I manage to do everything as I've wanted. Though, I still think I should have paired up with someone. But, now that's over. Perhaps in some other contest.
Ramble, ramble, bla, bla...

As about the progress, today is been very productive. I've got some nice storyline devoloped that will keep me going to finish this!

Level 24
Ok well I am hoping to have a campaign done for this contest, i've made good progress on it so far.

Heres a couple of screenshots of the first chapter in my campaign :)

Attachments

• AoC-0.jpg
    AoC-0.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 162
  • AoC-1.jpg
    AoC-1.jpg
    395.8 KB · Views: 186
  • AoC-2.jpg
    AoC-2.jpg
    504 KB · Views: 225
  • AoC-4.jpg
    AoC-4.jpg
    741.8 KB · Views: 142
  • AoC-5.jpg
    AoC-5.jpg
    615.2 KB · Views: 132
Level 12
Well, it looks like it is probably way too late to join this because everyone has such a head start on me, but I was interested in the idea. Is it too late to join? If not I'll see if I can quickly whip up a little campaign before you get enough completed submissions to conclude.

Level 18
If you start now, you'll never be able to finish a proper campaign in time. There's already 2.5 months of work in the other campaigns and they need all the time they can get. There's no chance you'll be able to finish your campaign in time. This doesn't however mean that you can't finish the campaign and upload it without entering the contest ofcourse.

Level 18
  • Your map will not affect the amount of maps if it follows these exceptions:
    • The map must not be bigger than 96x96.
    • The map may not have more than one required quest.

So a map size of 96x96 or smaller does not count towards the amount of playable maps (if it also matches the second condition). So you can have 1 million mini-maps of 96x96 with 1 quest each and you'd still have no maps counting towards the min./max. amount of maps in your campaign.

Level 24
You should rename the quest requirement "Find Civilization of sorts" to something like "Find a sign of civilization", but that's just my own personal opinion. Anyways, the terrain looks quite good, I suppose Castaway is the heroes name, not referring to the hero being like an "outcast"? :p

Level 18
Not everyone who has a story to be told about is marked a hero. Same counts for calling them a villain. People could talk about my story because I was the only one sawing an amazing event or something! Then I'm the main character, but I didn't do anything to be called a hero.

Level 18
Okay, but if you take it to the warcraft world (You took the meaning of hero to literal, I was reffering to warcraft heroes), and us the players are playing this guy, who is just a ordinary boring unit, whats the point? I am sure he becomes a hero a bit later in game, but if he is not a hero at all then the motivation to play drops a lot. Combats are avoided etc.

EDIT: Up there was the original reply: Now I saw that you won't use a hero at all. That lowers my actual motivation a lot. Because a hero can advance by fighting, this way fights will be tried to be avoided.

EDIT EDIT: It does look cleaner, but it doesn't make it as interesting.

Level 18
Warcraft called them heroes because they needed a name for a unit-type that has incredible skills beyond any normal unit. These extraordinary units should be strong enough to protect their faction. The best word to use for such a unit is a hero. So it all comes to the same description. If you play just a regular person without any special abilities, it's just like you're the same old boring self in a not so boring, exiting new world. In this world, you can change the old boring you into someone who really has a big meaning! It's like copying yourself into an action movie and with your own effort, you changed yourself into someone who did heroic deeds. It makes the player feel like he made himself just as much a hero as he made the character a hero. That is a very good way to motivate players!

Level 18
But how can you motivate someone if you give him control over a regular unit. That is if you put me in control of a footman and told me: This is your character go save the world. Terrain and story can be motivating, but a normal unit I find it hard. I don't know I might be mistaken as I have always played campaigns with heroes, and when I had just units I was utterly bored. But I find it better if i put myself in a role of a Hero who has special powers then this boring guy with who all I can do with is run happily around. It is my opinion, however it may differ to other people ofcourse.

I think it may be an inlet - the ship wreck got washed ashore or something. The ship got blown into there by the storm, and then it crashed. Etc.
2nd chapter is being worked on atm by me :) I may have someone to help me with triggers / a team partner for triggers. I'll see.

Back story (quick shit)
Your name is James Bentham. You are on your way to Fiji when a storm blows your ship into a river inlet, crashing it, apparently killing everyone aboard but you. As you make your way to shore, then to a road, you realize ... this place is different. It is special. It is a feel in the air, a tingling in your body ... and then you find a dead body. Then you realize this place is not only "different", but it is dangerous. This proves itself to be definitely true as you are viciously attacked ...

That's just a summary pretty much. Your backstory will be explained in little "flashbacks" (Lost style) that you get every now and then (1-3 or 4 per chapter).
The campaign is a discovery, stealth mix game - discover secrets, information and items to help you on your journey about this island.
A big aim is for realism -- the lighting system and how your torch is in front of you instead of all around you is one thing, then for example that enemies can see you if you have your torch on, they attack you etc. I'm not sure how I'll do that yet.

Maybe, just maybe, I'll have a nice little tie-in with Lost :>.

Status
Not open for further replies.