• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Blizzard re-releasing old games?

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I don't know what's going on recently but Blizzard already shoved Diablo+Hellfire to GoG:
Now, they're selling it again on their site?

Same with Warcraft: Orcs & Humans:
Official site:

They made the manual public only for Diablo though through their FTP link.

What does this mean? Future official support for newer OSs?

Level 11
Those were day one purchases for me as soon as they appeared on GOG. That was four years ago and at much lower prices, though.

I wonder whether the battle.net versions have different (if any at all?) wrappers/compatibility fixes than those applied by GOG team to their releases.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Those were day one purchases for me as soon as they appeared on GOG. That was four years ago and at much lower prices, though.

I wonder whether the battle.net versions have different (if any at all?) wrappers/compatibility fixes than those applied by GOG team to their releases.
Good point. Can you connect/add them to Battle.net? If not, they've did it again with having to buy the same game again (looking at your Reforged).

Level 11
Good point. Can you connect/add them to Battle.net? If not, they've did it again with having to buy the same game again (looking at your Reforged).
GoG and Bliz’s WC2 connect to the same Battlenet: Blizzard’s Battlenet. If you want the individual gateways, you’ll have to use the old CD install. But be warned, that will split the playerbase up which will result in very few players to play with. That’s why the “Global” gateway was created for the modern version.

Nevertheless, if you want to play WC2 online, "Combat Edition" is the way to go. 99% of the active playerbase is there.

Level 15
I still remember the day when "EAxis" made the full versions of the old Command & Conquer classics Freeware years ago. A pity "Blizzie" (or "Microcash"--who own them now) didn't do the same with these old classics, but I digress.
scratch_one-s_head.gif

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I still remember the day when "EAxis" made the full versions of the old Command & Conquer classics Freeware years ago. A pity "Blizzie" (or "Microcash"--who own them now) didn't do the same with these old classics, but I digress.
scratch_one-s_head.gif
Are you sure they are still free? I checked the link and it's showing the remasters which you have to buy.

Level 15
Hmm... looks like it was only temporary. Smart bastards...!
mad.gif

You can still access it thanks to the good ol' Wayback Machine, though I haven't tried downloading them as I've already downloaded them on the day TheDivineBoss created that thread.

EDIT: Link removed, though the old Command & Conquer classics used to be legally Freeware on that day... until EA decided to revoke their Freeware status. I guess EA should've thought about that before making them Freeware. I guess I was right, EA did go bonkers!
rofl.gif

Last edited:
Level 15
Good to know they're still free... and I hope it stays that way.

There's also OpenRA, which supports Tiberian Dawn, Red Alert, and even Dune 2000! And not to mention few interesting mods like Combined Arms (where the GDI, Nod, Allies, Soviet, and Scrin fight altogether in the battlefield) and others. However, OpenRA is best played in either Skirmish mode or Multiplayer mode.

Last edited:
Level 15
Ah, I've heard about that one, too... looks interesting and cool, though I haven't given it a try yet.

Anyway, I was only referring to those that became Freeware many years ago... the Tiberian Dawn, Red Alert, and Tiberian Sun/Firestorm. Unfortunately, Red Alert 2/Yuri's Revenge did NOT become Freeware, and not only I felt utterly disappointed, but Red Alert 2's game engine is more or less akin to Tiberian Sun's game engine, so why the heck didn't EA made Red Alert 2/Yuri's Revenge free as well? Again, I must digress.

Last edited:
Level 9
Because classic games make money. People want to play the games they played in children. Sometimes the game is still good for the person. Despite the hardware limitations of the time.
And there are games that have no substitute like Twisted Metal. And others that continue to be excellent and old, like Resident Evil 1 Remake.
That's why the trend of remakes, remasters and DLCs for old and classic games.

Red Alert 2 and Yuri were part of my childhood and I hope for a remaster or adaptation for modern systems.

Last year I bought Diablo 2 Resurrected game. I had a lot of fun. I read stories from the NPCs, watched the cinematics and various lore things within the game. I tried playing the replay on the highest difficulty, I didn't find it as fun. But it was still worth buying. Blizzard translates its games well to Brazil.