• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

"Avatar" Rant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
PocahentasvsAvatar.jpg

the originality of it all. :O

Level 23
Old. stop bitching about the story, everyone knows it is a cliche.

This is the reason it was the worst idea to revive a new thread of avatar ranting, you guys have nothing new to come with, and it's starting to annoy me.

Level 26
Old. stop bitching about the story, everyone knows it is a cliche.

This is the reason it was the worst idea to revive a new thread of avatar ranting, you guys have nothing new to come with, and it's starting to annoy me.
Ahahahahahaha, no. Avatar is not "A Cliche". "Cliche" would not do it justice.

This is probably one of the few movies in which the fanfiction is probably better-written than the movie itself.

Lyric suggestions sent to Lincoln Park by a 13-year old girl have more originality.

If Jake Sully isn't a Mary Sue, then the laws of the universe have been rewritten while I was out.

Every word or concept used at least five times in the science fiction industry has been thrown in there just for the hell of it. They even cast Sigourney Weaver, as if to remind us that this was the same guy who made Aliens (not that they needed to; the mecha and the dropship pilot sorta gave it away, guys).

"Ladies and gentlemen, you're not in Kansas anymore -- you're on Pandora. ... Every living thing that crawls, flies or squats in the mud wants to kill you and eat your eyes for jujubes."

"If there is a hell, you might want to go there for some R and R."

Every time that colonel opens his mouth, it's a big flashing neon sign that this movie will make you leak brain matter.

And yes, this definitely needs emphasizing: The plot is Dances with Wolves/The Last Samurai/Pocahontas in Space.

So no, it's not a "cliche". It's a collage of every sad, overused trick in the book, prettied up with Cameron's own ridiculous child fantasies of blue people and Noble Savage ad nauseum.

It absolutely confounds me as to why people love it so much.

But I guess it's some kind of love/hate thing, because people are absolutely divided in their opinions on this movie.

you can't rate a book/movie without having read/seen it, the whole 'i'm not going to read/watch it because everyone else likes it and they're all so gay' is just the cool, against the current of lots of people
all you'd really be doing is likely to be rating the thing based on second-hand recounts and other people's opinions
i mean i think twilight is gay and i've never seen or watched it but vampires in sunlight :/

Level 27
Thats your opinion, then don't start a RANT about your opinion... oh man.
If I were to start censoring opinions for being opinions, would you mind if I started with you?
Nothing is original.
I can see you thinking that.
According to a theory, everything has been made like an infinite lot of times.
Fat lot of good infinity does us if we can't interact with it. Take zero point energy for example. At every point in the space-time continuum there exists an infinite amount of energy. We can't tap this energy. Whee!
No fantasy world is completely original. Tolken copied Elves dwarves ect from various mythology around the world
Yes. He also added his own spin to them. He own spin being the unique factor. Hell, even if he didn't, even if it was all by-the-book, even if he found hobbit lore in an ancient tome that he stumbled upon and never shared, even if the entire map of Middle Earth was a ripoff, the story is about the adventure. There are more genres than fantasy. These genres don't use fantasy. You don't have to bend the laws of physics to make a story. People make awesome original stories within the confines of reality just fine.

Not even rabid fans claim that the story of Avatar was original in any way. :3
Also have you ever seen a movie that wasn't predictable?
No. But I have watched movies and not predicted them. See, to me, watching movies isn't a challenge to find out what happens next before it happens. You can do that with any movie. So, to maximize the entertainment value I get from a movie, I do not try to predict it. Instead, I try to let my mind fill with the movie. Let the movie control my thoughts and emotions for the duration. Now, suppose I were to try this with Avatar. I'm willing to bet the "beyond cliche" story will not occupy my mind enough to stop it from resorting to using its own imagination, resulting in me predicting the events.

All movies are predictable. Some are more predictable than others.
We are incapable of creating an idea without anything to base it on.
I can see you and Devine getting along well.
No fantasy novel or science fiction has truly different laws than the real world,
You know why? Because nobody would watch or understand it. Would you watch a movie that required you to relearn your senses? Without gravity, the physics of movement change entirely. Perhaps electromagnetism doesn't exist and the very concept of sight and color obliterate entirely. You're back to being a baby in that universe. No, worse than a baby. You don't even have the physical structure--if that universe even used the exclusion principle--to be able to do anything in that universe. You would need to start from a zygote. If that universe even needs that type of development.

The reason we don't defy familiarity isn't that we are unable.
Just because you didn't like the movie does not mean it was not a good movie.
Good is not a unit of measurement.
You can't rate a book/movie without having read/seen it.
You can, do, and must. Let me explain:
i mean i think twilight is gay and i've never seen or watched it but vampires in sunlight :/
Now, it's not a matter of you thinking Twilight is gay. It's not a matter of you knowing it is a fanfiction in an of itself. It doesn't matter that it is, "The female equivalent of Underworld." It doesn't matter that Edward's favorite pasta is linguine. It doesn't matter because it doesn't matter. It doesn't matter because you don't care. There is nothing you have heard about Twilight that makes you feel compelled to know anything more about it. It simply does not interest you.

Now, how can you know you don't care to read Twilight, if you have never read it?

Every thinking person I know vows to never see Avatar, and the ones that do confirm the vows are justified.
You guys have nothing new to come with, and it's starting to annoy me.
WHAT'S THAT?
ah well, i am seriously impressed by the sheer "originality-hunger" of shiik, maybe you should watch never again any movies, because each movie has a story similiar to a other movie, there are certain genres and every genre is predictable, so just leave going to a cinema, you would just come back and whine.
Bingo.

Hell isn't fire and brimstone.

Level 23
So, cliche is not strong enough?
There's no need to use stronger words

MSBB said:
And yes, this definitely needs emphasizing: The plot is Dances with Wolves/The Last Samurai/Pocahontas in Space.
We know that for the billionth time!?!?! What do I have to say about it? It definitely is better than all of them.

MSBB said:
So no, it's not a "cliche". It's a collage of every sad, overused trick in the book, prettied up with Cameron's own ridiculous child fantasies of blue people and Noble Savage ad nauseum.
I seriously lol'd. If that is what you believe it is, okay. Maybe you should do some research before ranting around.

Hakeem said:
Eccho said:
WHAT'S THAT?

I did not mean that I have came up with something better than yourself, which I haven't, but the discussion goes nowhere, it's just rant, which nobody cares about (oh obviously I do, you'll say)
There is no purpose of reviving the old thread by posting a new one, when we all know it's your opinion there, my opinion here, but nobody cares anyway...

whatever
whetever
three times whatever
D:

Last edited:
Level 26
So, cliche is not strong enough?
There's no need to use stronger words

We know that for the billionth time!?!?! What do I have to say about it? It definitely is better than all of them.
And so, like a weasel sucking the yolk out of an egg while leaving the shell intact, you sucked the life out of my words and pretended they still had the same meaning.

Way to fail to address anything I was actually saying.

Seriously.

(Though it's more "Straw Man" than "Weasel Words".)
I seriously lol'd. If that is what you believe it is, okay. Maybe you should do some research before ranting around.
I shouldn't have to. A movie is a presentation. I could give two shits what his true intentions are, or what were the stylish techniques he used if all that's projected on the screen is a recycled plot with horrifyingly overused lines and an outstanding lack of subtlety.

I did not mean that I have came up with something better than yourself, which I haven't, but the discussion goes nowhere, it's just rant, which nobody cares about (oh obviously I do, you'll say)
There is no purpose of reviving the old thread by posting a new one, when we all know it's your opinion there, my opinion here, but nobody cares anyway...

whatever
whetever
three times whatever
I'm not continuing this thread no more.
Gaiz, I'm gonna quit for realz nao!

You won't see me back here!

EVAR!
No fantasy world is completely original.
I think Voltaire beat you to it.
Tolken copied Elves dwarves ect from various mythology around the world who copied it from what they saw in nature. Modern writers copy Tolken and mythology and each other.
Not that it matters, but Tolkien's interpretation of elves was like nothing seen before. Before him, I don't think anyone used tall skinny white guys with long, flowing hair and pointy ears.

So no, it's not "copying" in the general sense of the term. It's not completely original, but we got something out of it that nothing else had.
Also 3D did not make the movie I whatched it in 2D and loved it. Also have you ever seen a movie that wasn't predictable?
Short Answer: Yes.
Long Answer: Not as much as Avatar.
(At least they let some of the characters die).
Only the ones they didn't really need.

Level 7
why does everyone hate avatar so much
its not the best movie ever but it is ok
by that i mean i know its unoriginal and the story is cliche but it still works a as a hall
so stop insulting cameron and the blue people
and get a life

Level 26
why does everyone hate avatar so much
its not the best movie ever but it is ok
by that i mean i know its unoriginal and the story is cliche but it still works a as a hall
so stop insulting cameron and the blue people
and get a life
What you said can be applied to absolutely anything anyone posts in a forum.

Believe it or not, most people argue on the internet because it's fun. For recreational purposes.

We're discussing shit in off-topic. We can't discuss shit in off-topic?

Well, if the arguments getting circular, you might as well close it.

Level 13
MySpaceBarBroke is always whining and ranting? You are a poor Guy, fighting with guys you don't know about you'r HOLY PROBLEM WITH AVATAR, just quit, you make yourself look like a... uh.. can't say it :p.

He has a point.

Arguing over the itnernetz is fun. Practice for when someone approaches you then poses a clever trick question which infuriates you.

That being said, omg ugly.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Next thing you know, Avatar 2: Revenge of the Fallen comes to a cinema near you.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

If you suggest a change, you certainly missed the point.

Level 27
Maybe, maybe... but hey, first they filmed the real people to use their bodies as templates to wrap textures on, and only then they used computer graphics... plus you shouldn't take this movie so serious - its more of a technical demonstration - just like the Crysis - nbody takes it like a complete serious game, its actually more of an a demonstration what you can achieve in computer graphics and lag.

Status
Not open for further replies.