• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Artificial Critical Strike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Alright I'm making a map and an item in it has a effect happen whenever you get critted, or it will. The problem being you can't detect when a unit with the ladder critical strike ability crits.

The only way I can think of having a dummy ability and 'critting' with triggers is by using a dmg detection system and then doubling the damage done when you take damage from someone with the critical strike ability. Now this works, but right now I am unaware of how I could determine between auto-attacks and... every other form of damage.

TL;DR
How can I tell the difference with a damage detection system between auto-attacks and every other dmg source.

Level 13
I think the only possibility is an orb detection system.
For example, you take an orb of frost, set the extra damage and the slow to 0.
Then you change the icon of the buff to a fully black on (don't remember the name, black32.blp or something) so you can't see it. Set the duration to 0.01 or 0.1, dunno if 0.01 is to short.
Now you build your damage detection system and on the event you add the orb effect to your unit. Then you need to start a timer with a duration of 0, save your damage amount/attacker/attacked unit, what will cause the damage and orb effect do be applied. Now you check for the orb buff, if the target has it is was a physical attack.

Level 16
I think the only possibility is an orb detection system.
For example, you take an orb of frost, set the extra damage and the slow to 0.
Then you change the icon of the buff to a fully black on (don't remember the name, black32.blp or something) so you can't see it. Set the duration to 0.01 or 0.1, dunno if 0.01 is to short.
Now you build your damage detection system and on the event you add the orb effect to your unit. Then you need to start a timer with a duration of 0, save your damage amount/attacker/attacked unit, what will cause the damage and orb effect do be applied. Now you check for the orb buff, if the target has it is was a physical attack.

there are damage detection systems without orb abilitys :O

This One
(Rly good damage detection system, and simple to use :thumbs_up:)

Level 13
K, let's say it is impossible without orbs when you use normal spells? xD at least AFAIK

Warnings:

* This system is only applicable if all of the damage from spells in your map is triggered. The only way this system is useful is if the only damage units deal themselves is from attacks.

That means that you also need to trigger simple stuff like stormbolt damage and co :/
But I have to say, amazing system ^^

Rmx

Rmx

Level 19
Try using a dummy spell like storm bolt but with high speed 99999999 add it to orb of frost or any other then when give it the chance to cast dummy storm hammer
when it is casted Triger

Event unit start the effect of an ability ext...
avility being cast equal bla bla
acTION XXXXXXXXX
But remeber to put critical strike with dummy storm hammer to be casted together

Level 10
there are damage detection systems without orb abilitys :O

This One
(Rly good damage detection system, and simple to use :thumbs_up:)

How would I go about damaging people whilst using projectile abilities, such as stormbolt, how do I get it to wait to damage them till it hits?

Last edited:
Level 13
You could rewrite all spells, for example a dummy missle for stormbolt while you need to do the following movement and stuff, what would be very intricate.
Another way could be to create a stormbolt with 0.01 damage, cast it with a dummy and create a damage detection event (lawl), asking for the unit type of damage source. In this case you'd need a single dummy for every spell and a huuuuge if-condition :p

Level 10
The second way sounds better, and rather then having a dummy for every spell I would add abilties to the dummy as a form of booleans. I already have an ability called "Dog Tags" which is just 12 levels, the level corresponding to the player number. I think I will try that.

Status
Not open for further replies.