• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Ardent Heroes - ORPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
Okay guys, sorry for the lack of information.
I have been a bit of a rough time because I can'T get JNGP working on my new system. Its basically that I emulate win7 (wc3) on a linux system (ubuntu 10.10).

Once I got it to work, I will try to make a TalentTree beta so you will be able to use it.

If I can'T get it to work, sadly you have to finish my code. I have already started (untested, just written the basic code) and with a bit luck you will be able to understand and finish it.

Thats it from my site. (However, in the near future I will hopefully have more time.

Funny to see you made a tutorial about installing JNGP, and now you can't get it to work.:p

Level 25
Weird. And ironic! lol

Been working on the terrain and mostly it's pathing a lot yesterday and today. It should be done 'enough' in an hour or less. While the layout of the terrain is kind of messy - because it is incomplete - at the moment, the technical side of it is what matters at the moment. Although I am trying to make it look prettier so it's more enjoyable to test. :p

Level 25
Crossing my fingers for ya'!

Oh, and to the good attachment modelers who may end up reading this, such as Forgotten_Warlord and Sunchips, it would be really handy to have a bunch of weapon and armor attachments that would suit a low level character. We're not really needing anything epic looking just yet and we hardly have any items to reveal for low level players, but plenty for mid-to-high level players.

Level 25
Yabooer is pretty much done for the moment. I don't really remember what Inferior was working on, but I think it was a damage system or a skill tree system. Though, that may have changed now that you're working on that.

Alpha tests are restricted to those developing the mod, closed beta is for whoever we exclusively select to test the mod.

Level 8
Basically as Craka has said, I'm done, the only thing I can offer right now is rereviewing over the ideas, the talents, basically all of that good stuff.

Currently, Inferior is working with the talent spells and getting ready to bring us all into testing.

I'm just basically going around, trying to expand our user base, updating when possible, getting knowledge of what is to happen and everything.

Edit: Also Anachron you're so prestigious that someone like me can't even rep you. "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Anachron"

Any Vjassers who are reading this please visit a thread recently created by me "Here"

Last edited:
Level 25
Today I worked on the terrain some more for Ardent Heroes. I didn't work with the pathing that much, because I forgot to, but I have been decorating the both Mug'kral and Dullfar. Didn't really decorate a large area, but I was mainly focused on a small area and threw a lot of details into it. It's the area that sits between Mug'kral and Dullfar, which is pretty much a besieged city wall from Mug'kral that leads out to the Dullfar zone.

If you aren't aware of what zones are what, I recommend you do a bit of reading over at the Lore thread in our Ardent Heroes forum.

Level 25
Either install a game like Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 for DirectX or try to find it at the Nvidia website. Pretty sure if you google DirectX10 or DirectX11 you'll get a download link result somewhere on the first page of search results.

Level 25
Looking forward to see what you got. Try not to use custom textures either --- if Yabooer hasn't told you already --- we're trying to conserve on as much file space as we can now. So be creative with the in-game textures. :wink:

Oh and I did more terraining today. This time I worked on Millbrow, Dullfar, and the Manson Bastion. Planning on creating a dock at the human city, Manson Bastion, which will allow players to... well I'm not totally decided on it yet, but will take you to a variety of other areas with a dock.

Level 8
Forgotten has a very good reason on why he hasn't been able to work, and has talked to me about it. So don't worry about him.

As for direct X "http://ubuntu-blog.com/how-to-install-directx-10-on-ubuntu"

Also hoping for another coder as excellent as our current one to swoop us off of our feet and speed progress up even more.

Looking forward to see what you got. Try not to use custom textures either --- if Yabooer hasn't told you already --- we're trying to conserve on as much file space as we can now. So be creative with the in-game textures. :wink:

Oh and I did more terraining today. This time I worked on Millbrow, Dullfar, and the Manson Bastion. Planning on creating a dock at the human city, Manson Bastion, which will allow players to... well I'm not totally decided on it yet, but will take you to a variety of other areas with a dock.

Dont worry, I'm using ingame textures, its actually easier to use ingame for this set lol

Level 25
Thanks man. :smile:

Been working on the terrain more today. I realized that I only put a lot of serious terrain details into the very beginning portion of the RPG, instead of everywhere. So now I'm just gonna focus doing hardcore details everywhere necessary, but not too much to the point your PC will lag out. Also trying to not go over the doodad limit... conservation ftl.

[EDIT]
In the past two or three days, I've made significant progress with the terrain's improvements. Hoping to have a couple screenshots up within a couple weeks.

Last edited:
Level 1
Im new here but im so watching this. I was watching Warcraft 3: WoW on moddb but that hasnt had any activity. But this looks better. Also is this online only?

Level 25
It is intended for multiplayer use only. And we're glad you like this mod. :wink:

[EDIT] (Nov 3)
I edited the first post of this thread to include more information about the mod: I added a couple extra small features to the Features list, a link to the website and forum for Ardent Heroes ORPG, and have included Inferior to the list of developers.

[EDIT] (Nov 3)
Posted a new News update on the Ardent Heroes website since I hadn't done so in 4 months. Also updated a couple posts at the Ardent Heroes forum.

[EDIT] (Nov 4)
Me and Forgotten_Warlord discussed items and item attachments that will be needed for lower levels. Low level items and one of the first item 'sets' from a dungeon is currently in the works... so far so good! Item slots that will definitely be visible on your character are:
  • Helm (hats, helmets, hoods, etc.)
  • Shoulders
  • Chest
  • Gloves
  • Main Hand (weapon)
  • Off-Hand (shield or a secondary weapon)
  • Boots
  • Back (cape or backpack)
  • Belt
Neck and ring slots may be added and visible too, but we haven't yet discussed those specific slots thoroughly yet.

I added a link to the Ardent Heroes forum in my signature so Hive users don't have to go to the first post of this thread to find it.

Last edited:
Level 8
Thank you for being dedicated Sander, it is really great seeing people alive, and looking forward to this mod, if we could get some more people to discuss about the game, ask questions, anything, that would be great. To keep up the dev team's morale up.

Level 4
Ardent heroes at now, The most expected orpg maps to me and my friend too.
But i dunno, whether I will wait it.
Mb more screenshoots or youtube video to see progress?:D or later?

Level 7
I dont think you should show belt, and maybe not boots. it will be a bit hard to see and wont really be that important imo, easy way to save some space for other things ^^

Level 25
File size isn't really much of an issue I'm worrying too much about at the moment. Unless the amount of code we add may drastically increase the file size, then maybe. But we still haven't optimized the map yet and there's a good deal of space left for perhaps a hundred or more attachments. :wink:

Also, there will be a couple screenshots uploaded of the terrain progress made soon. Stay tuned...

[EDIT]:
Talked to Inferior (our current lead coder) about the talent tree system, the inventory, and spells briefly today. Inferior has started creating his own talent tree system for Ardent Heroes, since Anachron said his is obsolete to the next one he creates and we need something to use 'now' rather than later. The inventory system will also be worked on (or reworked completely, I'm not sure) so it can support ranged items and other slots needed. And for now, Inferior is not going to be working on spells so that he can focus on the core part of them, the talent tree. Makes sense to do it that way anyway.

Forgotten_Warlord is still creating item attachments for Ardent Heroes, but will have to work "graveyard shifts" for the project due to his own project(s) needing some more attention. But what he'll be working on soon (an item set) will be pretty awesome.

Last edited:
Level 8
Seems to be good news for me, I'll start working on more boss fights for the next dungeon in the line up of dungeons to go through.

Level 25
2 New Screenshots!

Yeah, it mostly is good news. Which is... good. But tonight I've got something to make today's good news posts of the day better: screenshots! Check the first post for them.

On top of that, me and Yabooer are back to designing bosses, boss fights, and dungeons to put them in. Although right now we're currently working on one of the higher level dungeons, there's about 3 others we're working on for lowbies. Currently, the dungeons planned for Ardent Heroes so far (many more to come) are:
  • Khar'got's Palace
  • Forgotten Temple
  • Forsaken Citadel
  • Howling Catacombs
  • Tomb of Ahn'barak
  • Doomwing's Lair

There will be tons of end-game content in Ardent Heroes to keep the high level players busily entertained and challenged by the many dungeons we plan to include in the RPG. On top of that, if PvE gets boring, there will be organized PvP areas such as arenas. There's a good possibility other PvP modes will be included, but for now, PvE is the main focus. Which is exactly why we're working on dungeons and quests a lot lately. We're also building a private item database (only devs can see it) to construct organized lists of the items in the RPG so that we can avoid creating items that are too alike and whatnot.

There will be lots more to discuss and show off in the coming weeks. Please register at our forum and help keep the community there active by taking part in the discussion thread and other areas. Thanks in advance and more news will be posted in a couple days!

Level 25
Having a lot of fun terraining the dungeons and finally getting around to expanding the Manson Bastion (largest human city) and throwing in sexy details. So far, I'm happy with the results. Can't guarantee any screenshots for this weekend, but maybe the next.

Level 8
Oh and to brighten your day up, at the moment we have 7 bosses that will (hopefully) be playable in the beta test, all of them for the lower levels of course.

We have finished the Khar'got's palace, basically a sub dungeon, a short dungeon consisting of 2 bosses. This will be the first dungeon you will encounter.

The second dungeon you will encounter will be The Forgotten Temple, which consists of 3 bosses, and an optional boss at the end (All which will give you a run for your money) They aren't made to be simple tank and spanks, and you'll soon find that out for yourselves.

Last but not least we have the arena boss, which can be fought during any of your time in the game.

That is all the news really, we hope to see a large player base and more active when we start pushing out the betas

Level 8
Yabooer said:
So we have good news now! We have one of the newer boss fights being terrained at the moment, (the picture below)...

To check out the rest of the post, visit our forums at

http://ardentheroes.freeforums.org/update-t23.html

In other news, we are searching for about 1-2 more beta testers, if interested please don't be shy and throw up an application. If concerned about personal information being released, simply PM me your application.

Also remember, posting on the forums, giving your opinions, participating in some of the polls that are currently up, and just chatting in general, will give you that bit of an edge to be accepted into testing.

Hope this is great enough update to keep you satisfied!

Last edited:
Level 25
The link Yabooer posted is one of our main news threads that we'll be updating every time we've got something to post an update about related to Ardent Heroes. The newest content is at the bottom of the post.

[EDIT]:
A lot of modding teams provide big news updates monthly or bi-monthly on their websites, such as the team behind the Half-Life 2 mod, No More Room In Hell. To save time and make more satisfying announcements, I'll be posting an overall update on the month's progress once a month. This will not effect how we actively post updates on the forum. It just makes more sense to make the official posts more... informative and worthy.

[EDIT]:
Oh, and I'll be creating an Ardent Heroes thread in the Map Development section once we release a public playable version of the map.

Last edited:
Level 4
I created thread to one of game site, with the short description and link to official site and forun ardent heroes map. This map waiting more ppl ^_^
topic look everyday 50-100ppl

Level 25
Thanks for getting the word out, SanD3R.

Still working on the city, Manson Bastion. Right now it looks pretty generic and seems plainly laid out, so I started downloading a bunch of Assassin's Creed screenshots onto my computer to use as references for decorating the city and laying it out better.

Status
Not open for further replies.