• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Solved] Anyone able to Create an Icon for Xal'atath, Blade of the Black Empire (to be used as an Item Icon)

Level 2
For my Custom campaign 'Passage of Light and Shadows' I require an Icon of the weapon Xal'atath and I sadly haven't found anything suitable, so i'm requesting one, thanks :)

Edit: It would be for the latest version of reformed in Standard classic graphics
Edit: Credit to Uncle for the Icons (Uncle)

Perhaps something like 1, 2 or 4 in the attachment. P.S this is my first post and I have no idea what i'm doing lol

Attachments

• XalathModels.jpg
    XalathModels.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
Hello!

It's important to remember that Warcraft 3 is now divided between HD and SD graphics with Reforged icons using a 256x256 .dds format (much higher quality) as opposed to the old school 64x64 .blp format. On patch 1.32 and beyond (the first Reforged patch) a map's graphics can be set to support only SD mode (classic), only HD mode (reforged), or both. Check out Hive's Resources section to get a better understanding of this concept.

Additionally, some people refuse to update to the latest patch and continue playing on pre-Reforged patches like 1.26, 1.31, etc. which means that they can't use newer features and can't open maps created on newer patches. They either continue playing offline or use some 3rd party server.

So it's always important to note which version you're on (just say "latest patch" if you've updated recently). But more importantly, are you looking for an HD or SD icon?

Last edited:
Level 2
Hello!

It's important to remember that Warcraft 3 is now divided between HD and SD graphics with Reforged icons using a 256x256 .dds format (much higher quality) as opposed to the old school 64x64 .blp format. On patch 1.32 and beyond (the first Reforged patch) a map's graphics can be set to support only SD mode (classic), only HD mode (reforged), or both. Check out Hive's Resources section to get a better understanding of this concept.

Additionally, some people refuse to update to the latest patch and continue playing on pre-Reforged patches like 1.26, 1.31, etc. which means that they can't use newer features and can't open maps created on newer patches. They either continue playing offline or use some 3rd party server.

So it's always important to note which version you're on (just say "latest patch" if you've updated recently). But more importantly, are you looking for an HD or SD icon?
Edited it, it would be for classic graphics and im using latest version of the reforged

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
Edited it, it would be for classic graphics and im using latest version of the reforged
Okay, I'm far from an artist but here's my attempt. I originally made the two dds icons thinking that you'd be on HD graphics, so I had to shrink them down for the blps. If you're on classic graphics then you only need the .blp files. The normal button icons are BTN and DISBTN. PAS and DISPAS are for a borderless passive icon.

1710417494008.png

No hard feelings if these don't meet your expectations - I think I went a little crazy with the pink/purple :peasant-grin:

Attachments

• BTNXalatath.blp
    4.7 KB · Views: 4
  • DISBTNXalatath.blp
    2.9 KB · Views: 3
  • DISPASXalatath.blp
    2.9 KB · Views: 1
  • PASXalatath.blp
    4 KB · Views: 1
  • BTNXalatathDDS.dds
    64.1 KB · Views: 1
  • DISBTNXalatathDDS.dds
    64.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IconDemo.w3m
    24.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Level 2
Okay, I'm far from an artist but here's my attempt. I originally made the two dds icons thinking that you'd be on HD graphics, so I had to shrink them down for the blps. If you're on classic graphics then you only need the .blp files. The normal button icons are BTN and DISBTN. PAS and DISPAS are for a borderless passive icon.

View attachment 465850
No hard feelings if these don't meet your expectations - I think I went a little crazy with the pink/purple :peasant-grin:
It's perfect and not too much purple, the only thing is the shrinkage since you cant really see anything below the eye but it still looks fine :)

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
It's perfect and not too much purple, the only thing is the shrinkage since you cant really see anything below the eye but it still looks fine :)
Glad you like it, I think it's pretty bad but I suppose it gets the job done. When it was blown up it still only showed the blade from the eye up. It's difficult to fit an entire image in that tiny square without it looking too small. You can also end up with weird stretching when trying to fit the whole image since the source images are not perfectly square. You wind up having to zoom in on a particular spot. Then on top of that you want it to fit with all of the existing Warcraft 3 icons, a lot of which hide the good majority of what they're portraying.

I should have probably just copied this: Xal'atath, Blade of the Black Empire

Last edited:

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64

Attachments

• ATCXalatathBlade.blp
    4.8 KB · Views: 2
  • BTNXalatathBlade.blp
    4.7 KB · Views: 3
  • DISATCXalatathBlade.blp
    2.8 KB · Views: 2