• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Anti-Map Hack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
(sorry if this isn't in the right forum, I wasn't sure)

When using a form of maphack in my map, you get spammed with the message:

"You must explore here first."

which is from the Gameplay Interface. Now I'm wondering how I could use this as a form of detection, because if you play without maphack, you don't get any of the interface messages (which is the way I have it set up).

I had an idea, but I can't seem to get it to work. I opened my map with an MPQ Editor and edited the string file to change that message "You must explore..." to a string that was WAYY too long.

In a perfect world, I hoped that maybe once that string was called, it would crash Wc3 (thus, crashing the maphacker). Problem is, I can't seem to play the map after I've edited the string file.

Any ideas?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
In a perfect world, I hoped that maybe once that string was called, it would crash Wc3 (thus, crashing the maphacker). Problem is, I can't seem to play the map after I've edited the string file.
In a perfect world WarCraft III would either cope with any length of string or would truncate the string to a supported length. Do remember that the string has to get loaded so if anything it will crash everyone (if it crashes at all).

The simplest solution against map hackers is to not play with them. Designing a map to cope with unintentional game behaviour is stupid and time consuming. Much rather spend the effort making the map better and advise people that map hackers have an unfair advantage when playing the map.

I thought most modern map hacks rendered an overlay which did not alter the game in any way. This is how they bypassed the corrupted model protection.

Level 17
I got a system that can detect a maphack easily!!

if65-1-c4ca.png

Status
Not open for further replies.