• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Ability cursor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Is there a way to change targeting cursor of a spell?

For example, I wan't Acid Bomb from Alchemist to have AOE targeting cursor like blizzard, to show the AOE range of the spell.

Level 6
You could always create it based on something like Flamestrike without doing anything, and a trigger that creates a dummy which casts the spell you want.

Or you could code the whole skill yourself. I might be wrong, but I do believe these are the only possibilities you have, since blizzard spells are very hardcoded.

Level 4
I'm new to trigger, so if you can explain to me how to make a a dummy which casts the spell I want?

Is there a pettern for dummy's or... ?

Level 6
I'm new to trigger, so if you can explain to me how to make a a dummy which casts the spell I want?

Is there a pettern for dummy's or... ?
A dummy is a invisible not targetable unit that gets created by you, and casts the spell you'd like, even though it can't be seen. You can read more about this here.
Make the acid bomb skill with no mana costs and cooldown and then give it to the dummy unit. Make a trigger, that once the flamestrike ability (with no effect) but correct mana costs and size gets casted, it creates the dummy at the position of the caster, which casts the acid bomb skill at the point the flamestrike ability was casted. Make sure both skills have the same effect radius. And don't forget to remove leaks and the dummy after that.

Level 4
Thanks!

I'm the absolute beginner at triggers, so I don't know exactly how to do all of that. Always gets very complicated because of my lack of knowledge.

I will look into the tutorial before I ask for help again. xD :)

Level 4
Okay, I read that small tutorial on how to make dummies. Could you write me a trigger or explain, or both, on how to make that cursor different with dummy unit? :)

Level 20
Okay, I read that small tutorial on how to make dummies. Could you write me a trigger or explain, or both, on how to make that cursor different with dummy unit? :)

Basically you need to create a hero spell, the one players will see, based on a spell that has the AoE cursor. I think you should use Channel if you want to make it still single target on cast. It's only important for cosmetics, tooltip and mana cost.

Then, you need a "behind the scenes" ability that will create the actual effect of your spell, give it to a dummy unit, and order it to cast the spell on the same target that your hero targetted.

Status
Not open for further replies.