• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft in 4k?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Wouldn't there be a problem with UI because it doesn't support that large resolution? I think it would be pixelated or grainy or both.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Wouldn't there be a problem with UI because it doesn't support that large resolution? I think it would be pixelated or grainy or both.
The UI scales like it does with all resolutions. The problems could be any of the following.
1. D3D8 might not support it. WC3 was written with an API that is now well over 10 years old.
2. The UI will blur as it is a bitmap that is being filtered.
3. The aspect ratio will be incorrect, like it is with any wide screen resolution.

Level 39
I can (kinda) confirm that WC3 supports 4K. I'm currently running it on 4K resolution, although on a regular HD display through the use of DSR. It simulates 4K resolution on lower resolution monitors.
Anyway, I can choose 4K resolution in the game and the game runs perfectly. Looks very good as well since it gets rid of all aliasing as Crigges pointed out.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I can (kinda) confirm that WC3 supports 4K. I'm currently running it on 4K resolution, although on a regular HD display through the use of DSR. It simulates 4K resolution on lower resolution monitors.
Anyway, I can choose 4K resolution in the game and the game runs perfectly. Looks very good as well since it gets rid of all aliasing as Crigges pointed out.
Until you hit the "Print Screen" button and the game crashes.

Status
Not open for further replies.