• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Great Troll Pack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Bunch of trolls, in a pack. What more could you want?!

The pack is supposed to contain Chaos Trolls and Frost Trolls which represent two troll tribes/empires I've designed myself. Arguably, the Frost Trolls look a lot like a breed between Island Trolls (Darkspear Tribe) and Ice Trolls, but their nature is somewhat different. They are a organized and refined union. They represent dignity, strength in unity and peace. While the Chaos Trolls are greatly inspired by Chaos Orcs (Fel Orc), they are also race of their own. They are divided in aggressive and rough cults, worshipping various demons. They represent scorn, survival of the fittest and warfare.

I might throw in some Amani Empire and Darkspear Tribe Trolls here as well, and I might even do Ice Trolls and Dark Trolls if there's enough lore to base them on. Feel free to suggest.

Feel free to discuss what kind of units should come and ideas to how they should look. I'm not going to post the full list of already planned units, just to keep a few surprises in hand.

FROST TROLLS:
Generic Frost Troll
GenericFrostTroll.png
The Venomaxe [DONE]
FrostTrollVenomaxePreviewShot1.png
The Legionnaire [DONE]
FrostTrollLegionnairePreviewShot1.png
The Saboteur [DONE]
FrostTrollSaboteurPreviewShot5-1.png
The Champion [DONE]
Cham01.png

CHAOS TROLLS:
Generic Chaos Troll
GenericChaosTroll.png
The Gladiator [DONE]
Gladr01.png
The Necromancer [DONE]
Necr01.png
The Ranger [DONE]
ChaosTrollRangerPreviewShot03.png
The Snakespear [DONE]
ChaosTrollSnakespearPreviewShot001.png
The Berserker [DONE]
Bers01.png

Ideas and feedback goes in the comment section below!

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Thanks!

I will be changing the loincloth for pretty much every new texture/unit, so the generic won't matter for that part. Thanks for the suggestion anyway, though, and you'll notice that the Venomaxe has grey cloth. ;)

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

I will be making for all the troll models, don't worry, I've just focused one model so far to be able to produce a few more skins fast without having to figure out the wrapping again for each and every one.

Thanks!

Level 10
Moar Suggestions:
-Put a chain around Gladiator's neck
-Make red stripes at Gladiator's mohawk
-Make white fur pants for the Legionnaire
-Make Legionnaire's axes light-grey and their handles black

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Yes, I will skin all the troll models available eventually.

There will be a mage-class Frost Troll, in fact several.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Khaled, I do read your suggestions and I appreciate them. Some of them might be applied to future skins.

I won't add specifically coloured stripes to the Gladiator's hair because it's team-coloured and wouldn't blend well with all the possible team-colours. The neck-wrap is a bitch, so I don't think I'll bother with the chains around his neck, but it's a nice idea.

Also, finished the Necromancer, enjoy!

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

I am the person with the most knowledge of trolls and I'm sorry to inform you that chaos trolls are red, not orange. The blue ones look fine, though.

Pardon me for being direct, but I invented Chaos Trolls and I decide what skin-tone they have. ;)

Level 8
dude i love your troll skins. i already used one in my map planet of the orcs. keep up the good work. you should make other models look troll like. its been done with illidan and thrall, im sure theres others you can make look as pleasing to the eye as these

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Good things come to those who wait! ;)

Level 8
i love the skins you make cuz most of the troll models in my game use like a generic in-game skin, so when i added one of ur skins it made them change, lol you should see the troll bearmount model with ur skin. chaos troll skin, god is it sexy

Level 19
Good Job!

The necromancer looks great! Keep up the good work:)

PS: Just a suggestion, you could add some textures of fingernails too.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Legionnaire added to collection. I hope it's not disappointing, I ran out of ideas.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Added the Ranger.
I somehow ended up with a different background colour for WC3Viewer, I'll get that fixed later (for consistency).

Enjoy!

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Fixed link to Alternate Model for the Necromancer, it is now attached to the thread. Custom skin, model and portrait included in zip.

They're coming, supertoinkz, don't you worry. :D

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Added the Saboteur to the collection, one more type of troll to check off on your list, supertoinkz!

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

I guess it was about time I updated this with another troll, eh? Well, Sinister William, the Snakespear, is ready and uploaded. I'm going to rework the Gladiator and Necromancer slightly to account for the new style. Then I'll throw out the next Frost Troll as soon as possible. Stay tuned! ;)

Level 2
iff you have time

If you have time could you make a frost troll voodoo hunter w/mask, Or a chaos troll skin for the RAVAGER made by Jigrael

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Updated with the Berserker and the Champion.

I'm going to rework the Legionnaire and the Gladiator slightly. I might also update the Ranger one more time. On top of that, I'm working out the design for the Chaos Troll Batrider, the Frost Troll Evoker and another Chaos Troll.

A list of trolls and who they are designed to reflect:
Venomaxe (basic) - Snakespear (headhunter)
Legionnaire* (basic) - Gladiator (basic)
Saboteur (batrider) - Bombardier** (batrider)
Frostwhisper* (shadow hunter) - Necromancer (shadow priest)
Champion (basic) - Berserker (basic)
Hunter** (berserker) - Ranger (berserker)
Priest** (witch doctor) - Warlock** (witch doctor)
* in progress.
** alpha stage.

I think I'll limit myself to seven or eight of each.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 8
Nice skins! I guess the snake spear and the necromancer are my favourites. I really liked the idea of re-doing the batrider, but he doesn't look icy enough in my opinion. Maybe add a thick woolen vest (it's cold up there..), make the wings a little icy and add a thick furry head with icicles?
You could also consider partnering up with a modeller who can diversify the models a bit. I imagine the legionaire with a shield and a huge axe for example. Or have the necromancer use orc warlock animations. With a modeller you could modify the goblin sapper to make a troll mortar-team (now that would be awesome!) etc..

In response to your "shameless advertising": I could really use a skin for the witch-doctor. I'm going to update my Icetroll campaign next month and plan to redo some models (I couldn't model until the very end of my campaigning). I imagine some snowballs on his vest, an icy robe and face and tribal charms on the robe/hanging from the staff. Maybe a blue bloodlust icon as shoulderpad? Just some ideas.

Anyways, I will definitely use some of your work to fit the unique troll characters. +rep for the cool pics =)

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Updated with the new Gladiator skin. Next up is the Legionnaire rework. I'll be doing some icons, writing some descriptions and reformatting the thread soon as well. For viewing convenience.

Level 21
Yeah well those "trolls" look very warcraft-ish. Nothing wrong with that, however, do you think you could motivate yourself to model some trolls like seen in the movie "The Troll Hunter"?

Concept art by Håvard S. Johansen. I wouldn't want something identical, just to inspire. They are big moving giants 'n' all that (and they can smell christians xD... well at least in the movie) who sleep when it's day, because ultra violet light starts an chemical reaction which blocks or shrinks their veins, killing them. That's how they become stone, as told in many troll-sagas.

Well then, let me know what you think :thumbs_up:

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

I don't make models. I make skins.

Oh, and as a Norwegian, I am well aware of the ogres common in our folklore.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

shiiK, if i make a custom UV wrap for my Edgemaster model, will you create a skin for ir?

Perhaps. I'm somewhat busy now-a-days, but if an idea comes to mind, I'd probably try it out, yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.