• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[FINISHED] Spells&Systems Mini-Contest #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 40
Welcome to The Hive Workshop's

spellsandsystems.gif
Spells & Systems Contest #10

Introduction
The Spells & Systems Contest is a mini-contests due to its low requirement, time limit and prize. The aim in each contest is to make a spell that matches the specification included below. To win, you simply have to try your best to make a spell with the given theme, while considering the main judging points.
Task
This contest's theme is

Winter

'Tis the season to be jolly, and a snowy one at that! The spell must relate to winter in some way (though it doesn't have to be jolly :p crushing some poor soul with a giant shard of ice is fine).
Rules
  1. Post your own work only!
  2. Only one submission per user!
  3. Don't protect your map!
  4. The spell should have been started after the contest started.
  5. Do not use custom sounds, icons or models that boost your spell's effects!
  6. Your spell must support multiple levels (at least 2)!
  7. You cannot use WEU's advanced functions!
  8. The test-map should provide proper testing of the spell (low cooldown, many/respawning creeps, etc...)
  9. Both JASS and GUI are allowed.
  10. If you use any 3rd party tools, say what they are, and if they're obscure, provide a link!
    3rd party tool examples:
    • WEWarlock
    • Grimoire (and/or JassNewGenPack)
    • WE Unlimited
    • WE Helper
  11. You may use utilities (that do small jobs), but no large do-it-for-you systems.
    Examples of utilities:
    • Local Handle Variables
    • CSCache
    • Armor Detection System
    • Vector System

Examples of large do-it-for-you systems:
    • Particle System
    • Caster System

If you break the rules, you will be disqualified from the contest.
Entering
There is no specific required entry method. Just say you wish to enter, or post your spell when it's finished. Whatever works for you.

You can not enter this contest, if you
-have a negative reputation
-won the previous spells & systems contest.
Judging
Judging will follow a formula:

1. Idea (5 points) - Originality and execution of the idea is the goal.
  2. Triggering (5 points) - Making efficient, leakless, and simple (as possible) triggers is the goal.
  3. In-game playability (3 points) - Making sure your spell is easily understandable (tooltip, not overcomplicated) to the average player, as well as having a practical use in x game type is the goal.
  4. Visual effects (2 points) - Making a nice-looking (but not too complicated) effect, while not hugely hindering the spells playability value (excepting spells with this theme, such as a spell that masks the screen for enemies of the caster) is the goal.
  5. Theme (3 points) - The better the spell matches the theme, the more points you will get in this category. ex: A black hole looks like 'Evil' (judging by the models) magic, but it doesn't really fit 'Evil', so that would get a low rating should the contest theme be 'Evil'. A Death Bolt spell, on the other hand, would score a high rating.
Prize
A spell can earn a maximum of 18 points. It's simple, the contestant with the most points will win.
The winner's prize will be 10 reputation points, and earn a spot in the "Spells/Systems hall of fame" (list of winners of this contest).
However, the winner cannot participate in the next contest.

You have 6 days to work on and submit your spell.

The deadline is: 30th December (Monday), 00:00 GMT.

Merry Christmas for everyone who celebrates it, happy holidays for everone else!
~PurplePoot

Last edited:
Level 8
Winter?? I'm not sure if I will enter this one. I was going to enter the last one but time slipped away. I fear it will do the same again.

Some ideas I have had:
-Snow Storm
Snow sets in and thrashes units in an area, moving them about wildly as well as damaging them.

-Skating Rink
An area becomes covered in ice, causing units that move through it to slide around whilst in the area.

-Frostbite
Target unit is frozen in place for a short time (cannot move at all). It has its attack slowed and it quickly loses health after initial health loss. After a short time, the ice melts, and the unit experiences slow health loss, less dramatic attack speed loss and a move speed loss.

Feel free to take an idea if you need it. If I am going to do one of these, I would take Frostbite. Start with Entangling Roots, replacing the roots with Frost Nova model. Use a timer to check for the expiration of the spell and then have a dummy unit cast a slowing spell on the targeted unit.

Funnily, it is summer here, but today it is so cold I put a jumper on.

Merry Christmas/Hanaka/Ramadan/Quanza/December or whatever you celebrate.

Level 20
Here's a WiP of what I have so far:

Spell name : Benumbing Belt
Description : The Archmage creates a belt of ice which travels towards the targeted unit or point. Any enemy unit who passes through the belt will be frozen for 3 seconds.

In this case, frozen means can not move, can not attack, can not cast, can not do anything :p.
It's looking very good so far.

Level 29
My would be something like this (still need to think what exacly I want):

Code:
The hero was a creative kid when he was a kid (lol), he makes himself 
a magical snowman very fast.
The magical snowman throws infront of himself whatever he finds on the 
ground, might it be a snowball, a ice flake (ouch!), or a stone (double ouch!).

MUST be on snow to cast.

Thats the basics of it.

My huge problem was (it was partialy solved) that making this MUI (multiple snowmen) is pretty much impossible in GUI without leaking every time you throw.
Now need to solve a little thing and it will work perfectly.

Level 9
I'll enter.

EDIT: Finished them map & attached it here

Details: Uses vJass, is MUI, looks good and is simple.

EDIT2: Made a little change and updated from v0.8 to v0.9

Attachments

• SSMC10 - DiscipleOfLife - Breath of Frost 0.9.w3x
    46.1 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Level 11
It makes sense, sort of. I understood it....

My idea:
Name:?
Description: Ice spins around the caster. When a piece of ice hits an enemy unit it will freeze the enemy, do damage, and explode.

It doesn't sound very good, but I'm hoping it will seem better when its done (= At least this time I think its original.....

Level 12
Hmmm

If I was gonna do this

I'd do something along the lines of a snow-ball throwing frenzy

Each snowball, if it hits, will cause a dizzyness (not quite a stun) and a slight vertex change (so it looks like he got cold) [the vertex will dissipate when the dizziness does]

Then, if there are enough snowballs hit (probably 2-3) the unit hit will freeze over for a while

If a unit is hit more than once his speed will be reduced more and for longer (20% first, 50% second, frozen 3rd)

After all the snowballs have been thrown, the snowballs will roll back together and create a few snowman, depending on the level

Maybe I would have the snowman explode AoE when they die, but I think that would make the spell a bit imba

The user of the spell would need to tone down the damage quite a bit so it is balanced (I don't think it should be an ultimate, just an expensive ability [mana + cooldown])

I was thinking after it's all done, if the snowballs rolling together again were on snow terrain, they would get bigger as well and increase the stats of the end snowman

2 things about it
It's channeling
It's required to be on snow, or else it won't cast (kinda tricky)

That's what I would do if I could enter this one :thumbs_up:

Question: Does anybody know how to change a regular units MAX HP and Mana using GUI???

Or does that need to be done in JASS??? (I think using SetUnitState would do the trick not sure tho)

Or do you need to have hero stats???

Btw
I messed up my spell in the #9 contest, I used the custom values improperly

I shoulda done it so the custom values weren't used by the caster nor the targets

Coulda done it with a dummy unit + a unit variable
I'll update it and it to the resource section sooner or later

Level 11
I know how to do it in jass!
http://www.wc3jass.com/viewtopic.php?t=202
That allows using only 6(I think) abilities (for each stat) you to modify any stat +1 to 4000

It works like this:
Every number can be converted to binary 00000000 = 0
So 1 = 00000001
2 = 00000010

You can make any number with a set of other numbers each changing one of the zeros to a one.

So with
1 = 00000001
2 = 00000010
4 = 00000100
You can make
And a bunch of others...
So with several of these numbers (1,2,4,8,16,32,64,128,256).... You can make any combination of numbers! (Up to a point) At least thats how I think it works.....

Level 11
True, very true. Its not quite as powerful, or as flexible from what I understand... Also the system I provided can be used to modify any stat. w/e They both get the job done.

Level 12
*Ugh*

I get such a headache from reading other peoples JASS codes

I usually get lost :ugly:

Anyway, I *think* the second one just adds the Item Ability to Increase HP, and then sets the level, but I haven't quite figured out the first one yet

I'm thinking I'm gonna go with the first one, I want the snowballs to increase in size over distance (if on snow) or decrease (if not on snow), so I need a fairly precise system (I used something similar to the ability thing, wasn't very accurate)

I think I'm gonna go with the first system (when I figure it out :xxd:)

I decided I'm gonna make this spell anyways, and just add it to the resource section, instead of entering it here, I think I could use it in one of my newer maps

Level 12
Heh

Yeah, I really gotta re-read those systems, very confused about them at the moment

In about 2 hours or so, I will leave a good comment :thumbs_up:

Update #1

Ok, I read it a bit, now I understand it, I *think*

So does the Unit HP/Mana increase ability change the unit's HP/Mana whenever the level is changed???

Level 11
The first one is not standalone. It needs you to create the 6(?) abilities for each stat you want it to change. The abilities don't need multiple levels. Its extremly precise system, though it can be considered messy because of its use of multiple abilities. From what I hear the first system is also faster, though I can't confirm this. The second system exploits a bug in the ability system.

Level 12
So wait a sec

The second one uses the Item Ability Increase HP (or mana) ???

How exactly does the second one take effect
(I know how the number loops work, not a problem)

But it looks like every time you change the level, it adds either 1, 10, 100,-1,-10,-100???
(depending on what level each life gain is set to)

Level 3
Spell Name: Snow Storm
Type: Channeled Area of effect slow
Description: The heart of winter can be deathly cold, even to those that call Northrend their home. While channeling, enemy units are chilled to their core, slowing until they are eventually frozen solid, and shattered, harming nearby enemies.

3rd party: NewGen World Editor, WEU

Let me know if anything needs to be adjusted/clarified.

Attachments

• Snow Storm.w3x
    28.5 KB · Views: 115
Level 11
Seems pretty good, though I'm almost certain I could achieve the exact same effect using starfall. Starfall + 1 small trigger would be extremely close to what you did.

Level 3
The slowing effect is gradual, not instant. Also it's not just strait damage like starfall is. At any rate I wasn't aiming for spectacular, but at least mildly interesting.

Level 11
I'll give it an B+
The effects were interesting, but I'm a fan of flashy things....
Your point is true, the slowing is gradual so its original
It was balanced (or balancable)
And it definitely matched the theme.

Damn, I'm making mine so complicated... It'll seem really simple on the outside, but once you start picking through my code *head explodes*

So far all I have left to do is make the whole damn #*@^ ability!

UPDATE:
So far I've completed about 70% of my ability.
Heres a few screenshots, tell me what you think!

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_122807_210543_01.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_122807_210543_01.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 168
  • WC3ScrnShot_122807_210549_02.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_122807_210549_02.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 150
  • WC3ScrnShot_122807_210634_03.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_122807_210634_03.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
Level 12
O I see it

A whole bunch of ice spawns, and then spirals into the casters point

You could do that extremely easily in GUI

All you need, is one trigger for the start, another for the movement, and another for the end

All ya gotta do is change there pos in a radius, and in a degree, and then give them each one pos to centralize on, and then when they hit, make them die

Maybe you should tack on a unit group check, so the ice explodes when a unit gets too close to it???

Or maybe not even explodes, just deals dmg

Level 11
Let me explain my ability. First they move outward from the caster. They stop a random distance away, and move a random speed. They aren't centered on the caster. Instead all the spinning ice slowly follows the caster. If the caster stops moving, it'll catch up. They will explode if they hit an enemy unit. At the end of the spell all the remaining ice fly outwards until contact with enemy unit or they surpass a certain set distance.

I can't imagine how this could be done in GUI and still be MUI. Of course I guess its possible, but it would be 10x - 100x slower and leakier then the way I'm doing it.

I've never used linked lists before, so this is definitely a learning experience.

The way you said to do it wouldn't be like mine because it would cause them all to spin the same distance from the caster at the same speed. Also it wouldn't have them blast outwards (at the end)

Level 12
ooo

I see

Yeah If you wanted to do it un GUI, you would need a sh*tload of arrays and integer variables

Hmmm, heh that's similar to what I'm doin, but not quite (you'll see what I mean when I finish mah spell)

Level 11
Ok heres my submission. Its not super impressive, and its still a bit rough around the edges, but I think its O.K.

Spell Name: Frost Storm

Edit: Fixed the cooldown so its longer then spell duration. My spell is MUI but can't be run multiple times on the same unit during the same spell duration.

Attachments

• IceTwi.w3x
    51.2 KB · Views: 97
Level 12
I like it

Yeah that ones pretty good
Heh, theres nothin I could suggest to improve, is about as good as it gets :thumbs_up:

Dang, the one I'm working one is giving me a huge f*ckin headache, just when I thought it was all good and almost finished, added the last piece, and then it just starts to bug like fuck

*uggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh*

I'm determined to finish that spell, although it probably won't make the deadline
(doesn't matter anyway, I can't enter this one)

Level 7
First time I participate in a spell contest... so please don't be to hard to me.

IconSpell NameDescriptionDownload
btniceshardwc8.jpg
Hiemis Viburnum
Summons a magical moved snowball, which can scrunch enemies for a good amount of damage and disable them for some time. It does not matter on what kind of ground the Frostlord stands while casting, because the snow is summoned. But once the snowball is launched, it has to roll over snow to grow. On other grounds it will become equivalent smaller and will perhaps disappear.
When two snowballs of the Frostlord collide there will emerge a snowman whose attributes depend on the level of Hiemis Virburnum.

Level 1 - maximal 135 damage, 3 seconds channeling, 900 range.
Level 2 - maximal 265 damage, 4 seconds channeling, 1100 range.
Level 3 - maximal 435 damage, 5 seconds channeling, 1300 range.
Spell Contest #10 - XieLong.w3x
used 3rd party toolsJassNewGenPack 4a
Notesi use a custom skin for the snowball:
Abilities\Weapons\BoatMissile\Dust2b.blp

Attachments

• Spell Contest #10 - XieLong.w3x
    132.7 KB · Views: 394
Level 29
[Spell Name] Winter (yes very original)

[Info] Summons a Winter at the targeted area, which then picks up anything he finds on the ground, might it be snow, ice flakes, or rocks, imbues it into a exploding form of the object, and then throws it infront of him.

The shots move a random range and then explode damaging minor damage to nearby units and a little damage to further units (yes this damages also allies, yes this was meant to be so from the start).

Lasts 10 seconds.
Must cast on snow.

[Notes] I don't think its possible in GUI to make a system that will make the shots to explode when they hit a unit.
Tried for hours... need to learn JASS :/
Also didn't find any good model for a snowball but didn't want to start importing stuff so excuse me :p

[Update] added levels (3).

Attachments

• Winter.w3x
    27.5 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Level 11
@XieLong Importing stuff is illegal as per the first post (Which is the rules). I suggest removing it before the end of the contest.
Do not use custom sounds, icons or models that boost your spell's effects!
Hmm.. It doesn't say anything about custom skins.

So is it illegal or not purplepoot?

Level 12
Ok, I got mah spell fixed up somewhat, there is this really odd thing going on

It works completely MUI and whatnot, but after 2 casts, it doesn't work anymore

I still haven't finished (gotta set the spawn life + attack) after they spawn, but most of the big stuff is finished

If anybody'd like to see it, possibly help debug it, just message me

Yo Ghostwolf, the spell that I made is extremely similar to yours, except with a few more things, I managed to get the explosion just fine :wcool:

Cept, for this map, it's not an explosion, it's a chill effect (got the vertex coloring to work "ok", cept doesn't look as good as I'd like)

Just PM me when you wanna see it :thumbs_up:

Level 11
Sure I'd like to help debugging you, however I have to leave in about 1 hour. Then I won't get back until a few hours after.
@Ghostwolf your spell is supposed to have multiple levels!

Edit: Ooops, originally I said the wrong person.

[Spell Name] Winter (yes very original)

[Info] Summons a Winter at the targeted area, which then picks up anything he finds on the ground, might it be snow, ice flakes, or rocks, imbues it into a exploding form of the object, and then throws it infront of him.

The shots move a random range and then explode damaging minor damage to nearby units and a little damage to further units (yes this damages also allies, yes this was meant to be so from the start).

Lasts 10 seconds.
Must cast on snow.

[Notes] I don't think its possible in GUI to make a system that will make the shots to explode when they hit a unit.
Tried for hours... need to learn JASS :/
Also didn't find any good model for a snowball but didn't want to start importing stuff so excuse me :p

How can he pick up whatever he finds on the ground if 1. Theres only 2 types of terrain on your test map, and 2. its required to be casted on snow?

Winter by GhostWolf:
A bit wierd. I can't really think where this would fit in, besides some kind of giant snow fight? Its not that bad. It needs more then one level though...
Snow Storm by Castlemaster: Units graduly slow down until a series of ice explosions do them in. Not complicated, not simple. It fits the theme well, could have been more intresting though.
Hiemis Viburnum by XieLong: I think we might have a winner. The ability is fun and interesting. The snow man is a bit overdone, because they almost never collide, but all in all this is a great ability.

Last edited:
Level 12
Ok

Heres the farthest progress as of now

Just to give ya the heads up, I would only ever use this spell if only one hero was gonna use it, just because it can be incredibly laggy

Attachments

• Snowball Conjuration.w3x
    65.2 KB · Views: 114
Level 29
@Ghostwolf your spell is supposed to have multiple levels!

Crap didn't notice... annoying >.<
Would need to make new units ...

How can he pick up whatever he finds on the ground if 1. Theres only 2 types of terrain on your test map, and 2. its required to be casted on snow?

And you know, there are also rocks hiding in snow, and some of it becomes icy.

Level 7
wd40bomber7: I read the rules, several times, and I came to the conclusion that my import is neither a icon/sound/model nor it boosts my spell effects. So I decided to let the snowball look a bit more snowy with a custom skin.
If this reskinning is against rules, then I would delete the skin and use the tinting color.
Anyways, thank you very much for favoring my spell.

Level 11
I've got to leave, so I won't be able to do a full debug until after. (In about 2.5 hours) However the 'snowman' shouldn't be fire creatures, and shouldn't be heros..... BTW: I've never seen so much GUI, good thing I still know how it works.. lol

Level 13
Well, here it is! It might be a bit screwy, or not just a bit........but it can easily be set in constants.......but unfortunately I didn't have time to comment it, I was in a hury!! (I still am)

In tooltip, instead of the damage and the freeze value, I put X, that means you can change it to anything you like (to whatever you set in the constants).

Also, the thing I didn't have time to fix, freezing is stackable, but that can easily be fixed (by just checking if the unit is paused before freezing it). Sorry for such crappy result!!

Attachments

• Ice Breath.w3x
    87.3 KB · Views: 89
Level 20
Here goes:

THIS SPELL REQUIRES JassNewGenPack FOR vJass SYNTAX
Benumbing Belt
breathoffrost.gif
[r]
The Archmage creates a belt of ice which travels towards the targeted unit or point. Any enemy unit who passes through the belt will be frozen for a certain amount of time. The belt increases in size and distance each level.

Level 1 - Lasts 3 seconds.
Level 2 - Lasts 5 seconds.
Level 3 - Lasts 7 seconds.

WARNING: For this spell to function correctly, you must null all local handles in your map. If you do not, and use a drastically ginormous amount of local handles, this spell will NOT work (after prolonged use). But anyway, by the time you've leaked 16000 non-nulled handles, the handle allocator will be going crazy and you'll notice.

EDIT: Made the testing a bit nicer.

Attachments

• BenumbingBolt-HINDYhat-S&S10.w3x
    60 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Level 11
More of my strongly biased opinons
Benumbing Belt by HINDYhat: The effects were easy on the eyes, would have been better if the ice did more then freeze. (like some damage)
Ice Breath by Slivenon: It was good, but is still rough around the edges. The method of detecting what got hit by the breath/what didn't is a bit too large. It froze dead units, the frozen special effect didn't last as long as the unit was frozen.

So far this contest is pretty interesting.

@Herman, I'm going to look through your spell now...

Found one problem. In 'Snowconjurers' group, the caster gets added when it casts, but its not getting removed. I think that is very likely to be the problem!

Level 11
Is it really that time already? Anyone got a method of checking GMT time?

I can't wait for the results....

Speaking of purple, whats up with my avatar? It looked normal, but upon upload the second frame is filled with little purple squares!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.