• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

My Very First Terrain!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
My Very Fist Terrain... (-It Is Not Very Good-)

Rate It Out Of 10!
I Think 0/10 I Could Do Better. :slp:
Hahah 0/10

Attachments

• First Terrain.jpg
    First Terrain.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 323
Last edited:
Level 34
0/10. Take you time, don't rush. This must have taken you 5 minutes. Usually I have 30-60 min of work before I post a WIP.

Read some tutorials on the site, they should really help.

I can't even begin to critique this, all I can say is Don't Use Blizzard Cliffs Again!

You will improve rapidly, trust me.

Level 8
As a mather of fact, you can make Blizz cliffs look nice, and they're also way easier to make playable. I don't know why you people are so damned sure you can't use the Blizz cliffs.

I'll give you a 1/10 for finding the WE button. Seriously, this is like the time my littlebrother made a map called Poo. Look at other people's terrain (good terrainers, not bad ones that think they're good (Oziris))

Level 28
Ho-ho-ho, you already got your rates, dude!

Well, you already saw that you are a noob and you are not the best terrainer here...:wink:

But don't be sad! It is good to be a bad bad terrainer! You can use this feeling to improve! I can see that you are very very new, so here are some hints:

1)Cliffs:You already know the raise tool . Try to avoid using the default Blizzard Cliffs because they look unnatural. Do this: First, you raise the ground, and then you use the rock tile on it. You can also add some shrubs and rocks. Look at the first attached picture.
2)Pathing:The areas where the units will walk must be clear, so don't use many stuff there. Add trees, different ground tiles (like dirt, dark grass), shrubs, rocks, but dont use them WHERE the units are going to walk. Look at the 2-5 pictures.

The rest you are going to learn later. Hmm, thats it. Another hint: Practice. Practice is everything. See how the skilled terrainers do, and you are going to learn a lot. Well, these are not a good terrain of mine, a real terrain made by me is like this: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44018

I hope I helped,

\Naze

Attachments

• Cliff.jpg
    Cliff.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 211
  • Road1.jpg
    Road1.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 243
  • Road2.jpg
    Road2.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 217
  • Road3.jpg
    Road3.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 186
  • Road4.jpg
    Road4.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 150
Level 34
As a mather of fact, you can make Blizz cliffs look nice, and they're also way easier to make playable. I don't know why you people are so damned sure you can't use the Blizz cliffs.

True, I will rephrase Don't use Blizzard Cliffs until you know what you are doing!

I still can't make them work well. Only time is for cliffs on water, even then it's not all that great.

Last edited:
Level 25
Overall Rating: 0/10

This terrain is a complete disaster! I don't mean to be harsh, but this is so messy and senseless
The Bad
  • Not only did you use cliffs ("Blizzard Cliffs" is what they're commonly reffered to) in your terrain, but you overused them and is one of the reasons this is an immense disaster.
  • Very poor tile variation.
  • Multiple terrain glitches.
  • Floating objects: Rocks, Shrubs, Bushes, etc. are floating and not leveled with the ground. It is impossible for a plant or rock to stand on the edge of a cliff like that.
  • Pointy hills.
  • No set terrain fog.
  • Units are really blurry. Why? Did you use Ubersplats?
  • Some tiles look glitched.
  • Random doodad and unit placement.
You have a lot to learn my friend. One lesson you should value to learn is to not rush when making a terrain; even if we're dying to see your terrain! Rushing through making a terrain and giving us a crappy one (At least compared to what you could've made if you took your time) is very unwise and is like rushing with making a cake: forget to add an ingredient or two and it's ruined.

I hope to see some improvement with your terraining abilities, you can use it.
~Craka_J

Level 8
SeruK i dont think that i am a good terrainer i just say that i never was so in to the terraining i never did my best work.I did all my terrains for 20-30 becous i dont have time i go to school.Seconde i have 12 years,what do u expect of a kid and my grammer is bad...
Cripes. When I was 12 I created quality wc3 crap, and I TRIED to both spell my words right and use correct grammar because I didn't want to look like a total wankerino. Seriously, you're not even trying so don't give me that. You KNOW it's I not i, you KNOW there a blank after dots and (hopefully) you KNOW second does not include an "e". Sigh, stop hiding behind your age foo's, it's not going to work.

Level 28
Cripes. When I was 12 I created quality wc3 crap, and I TRIED to both spell my words right and use correct grammar because I didn't want to look like a total wankerino. Seriously, you're not even trying so don't give me that. You KNOW it's I not i, you KNOW there a blank after dots and (hopefully) you KNOW second does not include an "e". Sigh, stop hiding behind your age foo's, it's not going to work.

When I was 12, I was much worst then him (Oziris) when terraining, and let he hide behind his age until he notice that it is a waste of time. The person that can best teach him is himself.

(Back on topic)

The guy who made this thread was kidding when he started terraining that, because he gave the 0/10 rate for himself! Yeah... there is no reason for giving him 1/10 fro that terrain.

Level 34

Yeah I'm pretty sure his native tongue isn't English. His User page says

Don't be so harsh. His grammar has improved, trust me!

Level 8
practically all of my terrains were made when i was 12, so age isnt an excuse. It just requires you be able to take in what looks good, what looks bad, and how can achieve something that is visually pleasing in the end

Also, why submit something you know isnt good? Why would you want to waste everyone elses time at something you only took "5 minutes on" and isnt visually appealing. That seems to be everyones excuse on these boards when they dont get an amazing critique. Nobody here wants to see trash you through together in a couple minutes, so dont submit it.

Level 8
Yeah I'm pretty sure his native tongue isn't English.
Mine is you mean? :p

demonsofdante said:
Also, why submit something you know isnt good? Why would you want to waste everyone elses time at something you only took "5 minutes on" and isnt visually appealing. That seems to be everyones excuse on these boards when they dont get an amazing critique. Nobody here wants to see trash you through together in a couple minutes, so dont submit it.
Thou speaks true. And if you do submit 5 minutes work don't be surprised if some bastard tells you to gtfo teh internets, you've deserved it.

Level 8
This thread should be locked, its turned into a spamfest and I'm pretty sure this guys recieved all the criticism that can be made for his terrain. If he has any new (and hopefully much better) terrain than he should put it in a new thread that people wont derail with retarded barrel rolls

Status
Not open for further replies.