• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

New race - naga

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
hi all!

first off, about me, one important fact - i love water and swimming

2 years ago, in one summer, i sat out and created a custom map with the human player playing the naga race (just like in campaign)

when i created it, i used the Night Elf race to modify it.

i respected all standards, no overpowered units, heroes, structures or such !!!
so it wasnt a cheat map!

sadly, i lost the map with the HDD that died some months after.

however, i want to create again the playable naga race, except this time, i did not want to ,,parasite" one of the playable races!

in other words, this time, i want to make it as a 5th playable race, different and separate from the other 4 races!

ofc, STANDARD ....not some OP cheat race, obviously!

on google,i found a page with what i thought was a tutorial (but sadly, it was just a few lines of text and nothing more...), which said there are 3 methods to make a custom race in w3:
i) use one of the existing ones
ii) duplicate one of the existing ones and use existing campaign units to make it - this requires a selection method to allow the user to choose the custom race
iii) make it from scratch, totally separate and different - this also requires a selection method to allow the user to choose the custom race

i want to do step ii) - duplicate an existing race, and use the existing Naga buildings and units to model it

i allready did this once, 2 years ago and it was working out beautifully - this time, i want it as a separate and selectable 5th race

i would gladly pay real $$$ if a proven tutorial could aid me to add the 5th race --- just on exactly HOW to add a 5th selectable race (and NOT on how to do the units, structures and heroes..i allready know how to work those)

thanks

Level 3
1. http://www.wc3c.net/showthread.php?t=105611 or http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2378104-post50.html.

These two both allow the use of custom town halls but the first one already incorporates the use of more than 4 races.

3. http://www.wc3c.net/showthread.php?t=90302 Your creep respawn system

You usually have to make the AI yourself and I don't understand what you mean with the last one.

Quoting this from another post.

Just make your race. Use one of the scripts in the first two links. Then you have your 5th custom race.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Yeah. I do the same thing, and without extensive modding of the core game files (if it's even possible at all), one cannot, say, include a new race(s) in the drop-down menu at the start of each map.

Most people end up doing an in-game solution (i.e. a dialog box, selection-menu, key-presses for a certain time, etc)... I have always preferred the more elegant solution which "fakes" the pre-game selection, known informally as the "Handicap Trick".

However, rather than describe it, I would direct you to the Wc3C "Custom Race System" by my friend Archmage Owenalacaster (that & Retera's info too); that's probably the best we got.

Status
Not open for further replies.