• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Bug Hunting and Opinions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 26
Hi!
I'm developing a project of mine, and just finished the kit of all the abilities that is in it.
I need some opinions and bughunting.

I would like you to mess around as much as possible in-game to try to find bugs that I can fix.
For example: try using abilities on the same time, before dying, in awkward positions, etc..

I would also like to know what you think is the best hotkeys for the different abilities, so I can change them to the most preferred ones.
If any hotkey feels strange, tell me!

Here are the current hotkeys on all abilities:

Attack [Q] - Attacks, dealing damage to all enemies in a small area in front of your character

Dash [W] - Use while moving to gain a short speed boost.

Stun [E] - Stuns all nearby enemies for a short duration, allowing you to escape or land a few extra hits.
Cost 100 energy.

Hookshot [R] - Throws out a chain that attaches to most objects, either pulling you closer if the object is big, or pulling it to you if it is small.

Magical Knife [A] - Throws a magical knife forward that deals half of your normal damage upon impact with an enemy.
Magical knifes always fly in the characters facing direction.
Cost 25 energy.

Projection - Creates an ethereal image of yourself that you can use to explore. The projection is cancelled if:
-The projection takes damage
-Your character dies
-You click S again
Drains 10 Energy per second, and 10 health per second when energy reaches 0.

Rewind [D] - First cast: Leaves a mark where you stand that remains there for 10 seconds.
Second cast: Teleports you back to the mark.
First cast drains 50 Energy (doesn't require 50 energy to be cast).

Feel free to open the map in WE aswell, if you have any ideas on how to improve performance, or other ideas! If you know why an ability doesn't wotk and have the energy to fix it, I would be very grateful!

All suggestions and feedback are welcome! :)

EDIT:
The hookshot seems to crash the game for some players.
If you know what might be wrong, Look here:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/triggers-scripts-269/hookshot-crash-278873/

SOLVED!

EDIT 2:
The new version contains mousemovement aswell as the arrowkey one. It is a "Stupid" mouse click movement system, causing the character ordered to target a point, go straight for it, rather than going around obstacles like a normal unit. This is intended, since it fits the map better.
I'd like your opinion on having that system in the map.
Should I get rid of it? Should I keep both?

Attachments

• Warden - Test Map.w3x
    549.4 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Level 14
Hi Rufus,

at first, I was quite impressed, you coded warden using GUI :) (For me, using jass looks much easier)

So, I tried to make you map go nuts - but it is running pretty well on my computer.

-> Found a few bugs related to that hookshot:

1. if you use that hook close to buildings or objects, the lightning fx is not removed. It will be reset normally once u hook the next time though.

2. the hookshot dummy knife flies in strange heights sometimes, when I spam them at cliffs. The same way, these knifes change their fly height above cliffs. Its not a real bug, it is just something, wc3 does, that you would have to work around, if it annoyed you.

-> spaming keys and pressing arrow keys in the same time generally freezes animations after a few seconds. This is reset normally after you stop messing around.

-> So in general I could not find any severe bugs despite the lightning one! :thumbs_up:

Level 26
Perfect!

Well, it might have been easier with Jass, but I never learned it, and have been managing to create stuff with GUI so far.

I will see what I can do about the lightning. That is probably because I enable the closing trigger a short duration after it is cast instead of instantly.
I have an idea on how to make the chain attach to the missile properly, but the height of the object might be a little harder. My first solution to this was that it should have been interupted at cliffs, but it is needed to go over them for gameplay in the future.

The other things you mentioned is, as you said, not game-breaking, and they solve themselves just as I made them. It takes unneccesary effort to solve this perfectly and additionally the character would be delayed by ca 0.25 - .30 seconds extra for each ability she cast, which would feel sluggish and not quite worth the perfect animations.

Thank you so much for your help! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.