• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

I'd like some opinions...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
So what would yall think of an RPG in which combat is entirely secondary? One that focuses on other things like deep interaction with the environment and individual NPCs, who have schedules. And mainly, the mercantile trade, which the story's about since you're the son of a merchant.

You start out in a tiny village in a forest, with a small log hut that your father left you. You make money, do quests for different factions in the land, and other such stuff. You can also leave the map and do your thing in other maps that'll be like this one (it won't be a campaign though, there'll be other, similar maps that will be made, and you'll be able to load your character and his units. Also, when you save your character and units in the game cache (by going to the edge of the map and choosing yes in the opened dialog box) the maps current state will be saved.)

You'll negotiate prices with NPCs, buy decorations for houses/shops, buy businesses, even be able to, after a long time and an assload of cash, be able to found a village, which can become a town, which can become a city, etc. and eventually a nation. But combat will be secondary, although 20-25% of doable quests will involve it, and you'll be able to attack and kill any NPC you see, but there'll be a lack of actual enemies and NPCs for whom killing won't have consequences. Not to mention that you, at the first few levels won't be any stronger than a villager, unless you purchase/find/are given a weapon.

(And shield if you get a melee weapon. There'll be no two handed melee weapons since I didn't have a suitable model for that.)

Also, there'll be two different currencies(the buying/selling will involve dialog boxes, and lumber will be silver. For everything, you'll have the option to pay either gold, or twice as much silver.) And you'll have to eat, and maybe drink, at least once every three days or your stats will lower a bit every following three days that you don't eat(and maybe drink), and if your stats reach zero, you'll die. And if you die, your save character and all your progress will be erased.

So, what would yall think of something like that? And what do you think others would think of it?

Level 4
Thanks. Also, for the delete part, I merely wish to instill some distinct fear of dying in the player. Basically, if an NPC warns the player not to go somewhere, or mentions something about deadly horrors, I want them to listen.

Also, I want to, at the same time, make the player try to seek non-violent solutions to problems when they can, and think strategically when that fails, instead of approaching every quest and problem with "OMG I PWNZ J00R ARZ IWZ MY 1337 S0RD LOLZ!!1". Same reason you start the game no stronger than a villager. Of course I guess I could just give a regular game over, so they just have to reload, but somehow that doesn't seem harsh enough. Maybe it's just me though...

Level 3
I like your idea, i dont quite like RPGs that are all training and killing myself, but they are at least decent if theve got alot of quests to do to keep ones intrest in the game. Im not the best map makerer out there, but i guess you could consider me almost a jack of all trades in map makeing, in not great in 1 thing, but im consderalbe good with the overall basics. If you'd try to make this RPG id gratfuly help if you need it, allthough some of those idea will be quite difficult to do, but theyre probbaly doable. All in all, i love your idea and it would be great if you could do it!

Level 10
It sound's like a good idea, but i've seen game's like this. I would love a game like this, but for alot of people it might seem boring.

Let's face it... all people these day's like are flashing light's and effect's on spell's and sensless violence....

I like the idea though! Go for it!
(I like sensless violence too, this seem's ok too)

Level 4
Thx all. To Arab4Life, good point, and to Bobby, thx very much for the offer. I'd like you to help when I get done with the terrain.

Also, anyone wanna hear about the factions I've got for the map? And maybe tell me if I should change something about them?

Level 3
I like the idea. I'm always trying to look for a game where I can't just get by on brute strength in my hero but I actually need to use some skill. That is, an RPG with that idea to it.

And about the faction idea, I say just post it and we'll all tell you what we think lol.

Level 4
K, here are the factions for the Anries map;

The BloodLeaf Bandits; A bandit clan that dwells in a vast underground hideout and robs travelers traveling the forest. One of the other villagers is rumored to be one, but if he is, he's done a damn good job of hiding it... Potential members will most likely have to be proven good at robbing and/or larceny, and also have to do something very distasteful to get in, not to mention that many more lawful groups probably won't take kindly if they find out you're in. But the rewards (safe access to their underground base, free or significantly cheaper merchandise, protection) might be worth it.

The Knights of Telos; The knightly order of the Holy Church of Telos, one of the most influential religions in the lands of Humans. Despite the original good teachings of Telos, the church, which these knights serve without question, has been, for generations, riddled with corruption in the higher ranks. And the knights are known for being close-minded, fanatical and viscious to those they percieve as heathens and/or heretics (most whose beliefs differ) and those the Church designates as such. Yet many of the knights, and the church proper, do indeed have good hearts and wish to dispel the generations of corruption, discrimination and fanaticism that earn the Church and its knights their foul reputation.

The Church of Dagon; The primary enemy of the Church of Telos. They originally began as a branch of the Knights of Telos who split from their fanatical comrades, and sought to fight the corruption and bigotry that plagued the CoT, who they have been in a bloody war with ever since. But over time, they began to delve into dark magic and human sacrifices to help accomplish their mission and now, many see them as being no better than the knights, some see them as being far worse.

The Merchants Guild; A very large, powerful guild dedicated to mercantile trade. For an up and coming merchant, it's generally a good idea to join them, as joining them has many rewards for a dedicated merchant, whereas making a lot of money buying and selling without them getting taxes generally earns dire consequences. Basically think a government funded mafia.

The Fighters Guild; A guild dedicated to the art of war. The guild was founded by the king of Escalon for the purpose of preventing the mercenary trade from going down the dark, criminal path that it inevitably took, and has since grown exponentially. They only accept those with some martial skill, although they train and sell arms to non-members for very steep prices. Yet now their higher ranks are said to be corrupt, as those in power seem to inevitably become.

Almäriens; The term used for the various forest spirits, the Dryads, the Fairies, etc.. They are exceedingly rare, and can never be found in one specific place for very long, and can only be seen under specific conditions, unless you do all their quests. Obviously they have very few members and missions and you can't do a bunch of quests to 'join' them per se, but they do have impressive rewards.

The Wizards Guild; A guild of scholars who study the supernatural to gain the aid of magical entities, and channel supernatural powers, without the viscious fanaticism and self-righteousness of the various Churches. They only accept those with very strong minds and spirits, but they sell potions and magical trinkets to non-members. Joining the guild means the sharing of magical and supernatural learning and knowledge, as well as tutoring in the ways of the wizard (mainly the channeling of the supernatural and unseen, AKA magic in laymens terms.)

There are other organizations in the world I've thought up, but these are just the ones you'll find in this map. Also, can anyone think of a name for the Sylvan? And what do yall think of these? And what do yall not like about these?

Last edited:
Level 3
Those are really good black.
I have an idea for that name.This may sound weird for a name, but i think it goes good with the mythical sense of fairys and such.
-Almäriens
al•mair•re•ins ("al" as the name not all)
or singualer Almärien, i think thats what you ment by needing a name. Hope you like it.

~wow, serious dashvu(i dont know how to spell it) as i got up, looked at the clock on my comp and started to walk away

Level 3
I think you did a good job thinking up the names and ideas for who the people are. Maybe add on to the descriptions of the Blood Elf Bandits and the Wizards Guild to give more of an idea of the perks and stuff of being with them. (I don't know if you were going for the whole 'you can join any faction you want' sort of thing but I just thought of that).

Level 4
Done. Thanks. How do these rewards sound?

EDIT:I mean I edited my post about the factions and added to the descrpitions of the BloodLeaf Bandits and the Wizars Guild. And yes, you will be able to join any faction unless you piss the faction off.

Last edited:
Level 4
Computer's messing up, anf that's putting a damper on terraining. Also, has anyone taken a look at the factions part? I mean after I updated it?

Oh and also, bump.

Status
Not open for further replies.