• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Battle of the Barrens v1.40

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Phoenix1 presents

Battle of the Barrens V1.40
Created by Phoenix1

Map Info:

This is an altered melee map with its main focus being to improve the amount of content such as units, buildings, spells and create a fresh new set of races with a higher amount of depth each. This map is also very balanced and is suitable for player vs player combat.
Players : 1-4
Hero level cap : 20
Food cap increased to 150

Features:

New races:
Demon, which replaces Undead.
Naga, replaces Orc
High Elf, replaces Human
Do not choose Night Elf

The 3 races which I created are much more in depth than normal warcraft races, with more units and buildings. Lots of models were used and lots of new hero's, units, spells, etc, were created.
Don't judge the map by its preview.

Change Log:

V1.10:
-Fixed a few bugs
-Added fog
-Added credits in-game

V1.20:
-Fixed tooltips
-Reduced filesize slightly
-Reverted command icons to default one's
-Removed High Elven Guard Dog
-Balanced Demon slightly more
-Changed icon placement in buildings

V1.30:
-Optimized map with Vexorian's Optimizer reducing filesize and loading times
-Optimized map with PitzerMike's Widgetizer, further reducing loading times
-Fixed small bugs

V1.40:
-Changed item drop chances and added new items to crates in the middle
-Added new items to some creeps
-Balanced High Elf a bit. Reduced cost of High Elven Gunship from 800 gold and 300 lumber to 700 gold and 200 lumber, and reduced its attack speed slightly

Credits:

Special Thanks:

TurieL
Tranquil
dickxunder
HappyTauren
Frankster
olofmoleman
WILL THE ALMIGHTY
Dark Hunter1357
LiOneSS
Misha
Tarrasque
armel
JetFangInferno
MasterHaosis
Kehel
Kuhneghetz
Ramza
Elenai
Thrikodius,
for models and icons.
Thanks to Kobas for map description template.
Thanks to Vexorian for his optimizer and to PitzerMike's for his Widgetizer.
Thanks to HellMaster for his map review and for his patience with my map.

Map Description Template Created by -Kobas-
Find more here: Map Description - Templates

Keywords:
Battle of the barrens, battle, barrens, altered melee, races change, race, demon, naga, blood elf, high elf, magic, heroes, new, cool, epic, different
Contents

Battle of the Barrens v1.40 (Map)

Reviews

M

Vengeancekael said:
Vengeancekael
Date: 2013/Feb/10 16:26:56
[Please do not send me a message, use Staff Contact]

Reasons:

Lacking Description: Template
Credits to be posted in-game + in the Hive Description.

Comment:
Also list an explanation on all the new races.
A full credits list is required.​
Not Rated
[tr]​

reportV2_animated.jpg
Rules

To:
Hell_Master said:
Map still pending and rated 2/5. It still needs some little things to be approved. See my review for some informations: Review

Level 30
The Hive Workshop Official
mr_design_mapreview.jpg

Map Reviewer: Hell_Master
Map Name: Battle of the Barrens
Map Author: Phoenix1

mr_design_mapaspects.jpg

Originality

The idea of making a melee map using the races High Elves, Nagas and Demons looks perfectly fine though not much original because seriously, users can fully make a map by just changing the available race to this ones.

Score: 60/100

Presentation

Presentation looks fine and quite acceptable but could use some more BB Codes to make it better in designs and visuals.

Make the font of the headers such as "Battle of the Barrens v1.00", "New Races", and "Credits" to bold to give emphasis to them. Also, you could give colors and different font sizes to them but make sure to stay in just one color.

Enclose Credits in a Hidden BB Code tag to make it shorter but still having the exact and same informations.

Optional. Add some screenshots in the description to better present your map. It would be great to show some because most users sees through the screenshots before playing but as I've said, it's optional.

Score: 58/100

Design

Tooltips looks very fine but I saw some changes in the custom unit's descriptions and you should definitely make it informative as possible and not just a single line like in the Normal Guard Dog, Archers tooltips and such..

The new command button icons looks good in appearance but does not actually fit on the overall games' UI (applies for High Elf since this is the only race I've played so far). The default icons would do and is much better.

Icon placements on buildings is a mess. Try organizing them well: in the upper part should be the units and down parts are the upgrades and etc..

Score: 60/100

Object Data

Filesize looks big and I do think could be lower (if I am not wrong but If I am, pardon me). Seeing that most of the custom resources comes from icons which are small and little amounts are in buildings, its quite alarming to see this reaching almost 7 MB in size.

Score: 59/100

Gameplay

To repeat, bad icon placements in buildings and also the custom icons for the command button looks out of place and does not fit. It would be advisable just to use the default ones.

Some units such as Normal Guard Dog does not fit for the High Elves. I suggest you to remove that and just stay at Warriors, Archers, Lieutenant and then Captain.

Most of the units, upgrades and etc... available for most races looks copy-pasted from the original Warcraft but there is no problem with that but it is much advisable if you would add something in it or totally create a new concept from it. It makes an altered melee much more interesting.

Heroes looks totally new but seems to be really deceiving due to that it is just a model change but still having the same and old spells for each original heroes. As I've said, it is pretty much fine if you CnP but it is really much better if you would add something in it or totally create a new concept from it.

Score: 44/100

mr_design_suggestions.jpg

Game needs more uniqueness in concept and ideas due to that the map is just a merge of secret races from Warcraft III with a little addition of something.

Presentation is improvable at many parts. See my Presentation part of my review for the suggestions.

Tooltips could be much better by providing key informations that needs to be known by players.

The custom command button looks totally out of place and it is advisable for you to use just the default icons.

Icon placements looks really mess up. I suggest organizing them.

Filesize looks big. 7 MB for just some large amount of icons but totally small ones and little amount of building and unit icons is quite alarming.

mr_design_finalresult.jpg

Final Score: 56.200/100
2/5 - Rejected

mr_user_Hell_Master.jpg

Contact: (Visitor Message) / (Private Message) / (Map Reviewers)

Last edited:
Level 4
Thanks a lot for the review. I will change the description, tooltips, and revert the custom command buttons to the normal ones, which should also help reduce the filesize. I will also fix the icon placement in buildings.