• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[ORPG] Forgotten Storms - Continuation of WoWWC3, Third Person Camera, Char. Creation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
[ORPG] Forgotten Storms - Continuation of WoWWC3

Forgotten Storms
By Miles111

What is this map?

Many of you might have seen a project I have previously started that had attempted to remake World of Warcraft into Warcraft 3. If you had recently read the post, you would have seen that the project was going to be delayed while the Director (myself) and other team members got ready for the larger project. You would have also read that we decided World of Warcraft was not going to be remade into Warcraft 3 as a direct copy; we are going to make World of Warcraft as it would have been if it were in the world of Warcraft 3.

A huge number of maps, ranging between 30-40, will be hosted simultaneously by our hosting bots. You will be able to play in one of these maps, save your character, and load your character in another map. A list of the hosting bot names will be posted, so that if you wanted to play your character in Duskwood, you could log into Warcraft 3 and type (once the hosting bots are up) "/whois WoWWC3-Duskwood" and be given a game name for you to join! I will take it upon myself to purchase these bots. But note that, this early in development, it will be months before even a couple of maps are out. With a full team it would likely take a few years before we have expanded to the point of 30-40 full maps being hosted.

This is going to be in the near future. Currently, we are working on a map called Fantasy Life - Forgotten Storms. I found the original Fantasy Life map by Disaster was a bit... dull... so I took a publically released unprotected version of his map, of course his permission is granted for editing to be done, and I have started working on a map that will be an experimental zone/playground for all the features that will be added in the WoW-WC3 maps that we will soon be working on.

Current Features

- A well made, easy to use Third Person camera and Arrow-Key movement system.
-A Full Screen Character Creation system where you may select (click) on the Race and Class that you would like to play and begin the game. Races include Elf Female, Human Male, Human Female, and Dwarf Male. Classes include Warrior, Paladin, Rogue, Hunter, Mage, Priest, and Warlock.
-Fully made buildings and caves with walls and roofs; actual buildings
-Our map is, and ALWAYS will be, playable on Battle.net
-Your hero attacks with different animations depending on if he/she is using a Bow, Sword/Axe/Mace, Dagger, Polearm, Two-Handed Weapon, Bow, or Dual-Wielding (offhand).
-Dodge, Block, Parry, and Crit systems. Your character uses special animations when you Dodge, Block, or Parry.
-A Full Screen Inventory System, with attachments for Weapons, Shields, Shoulder, Chest, Gloves, Boots, Belt, and possibly Legs. (INVENTORY SYSTEM IS IN DEVELOPMENT)

underdev.gif

-The Full Screen inventory system previously mentioned

-An improved version of the Full Screen Character Creation system

-All buildings in the city that do not currently have floors, walls, roofs, and a proper interior design will be given them

-A Weather/Improved Time of Day System, in which each day has a chance to rain, or rarely snow. Days in the maps will be long (currently 30 minutes) and weather will last throughout the day. There will be a looping ambience for rain, which will change when you are inside of a building. It will not rain inside buildings, caves, or any other areas with cover. The rain will form water rings where it strikes, and when raining water can be seen pouring down the roofs of some buildings. In the further future, a skybox might be added for rainy days and puddles might form at random size/location in specific areas.
During Night Time, the outdoor environment in my map will be significantly darker during the late day or night. There will be a dramatic and improved glow and lighting to all light sources during the night or when its raining.

-The map will, hopefully in the near future, allow players with laggy computers to change their viewing distance and other graphical improvements in order to reduce lag.

-A profession system in which Players can get various jobs that affect eachother. For example, player Red might get the Blacksmith job and player Blue might get the Miner job. Player red will always have a supply of iron and other basic materials that he may purchase in his Blacksmith, but if Blue mines Iron and sends it to the Blacksmith building, he not only gets an initial pay, but he gets more money if Red buys his iron afterwards.
Red can buy Iron cheaper for every iron that Blue sends to the blacksmith. If Red wants to get a valuable material, like Truesilver or Gold, then it is only available to him when Blue mines these materials and sends them to the Blacksmith. Blue, of course, gets paid initially for sending materials and gets paid more when his materials are bought.
Meanwhile, if Red puts any items that he crafts up for sale in the store, he gets an initial pay, and the items are now sold for cheaper from the vendors. If a player buys an item that Red has crafted, Red gets payed. There are also many items that Red can craft and put up for sale in the store that are normally not sold, and the same goes for these items. Red gets paid initially, then gets paid more if the items sell.
This system can not be abused. This is because the initial pay plus the pay from the item being bought is equal to the cost that the item is being sold for.

screenshots.gif
Screenshots/Videos

Forgotten Storms Full Screen Inventory and Character Creation:

Please watch in Full Screen and 720 or 1080 HD!

Forgotten Storms Preview:

A preview of the Character Creation system and some Indoor and Outdoor environments
Please watch in HD and Fullscreen!

New Character Creation Layout:

fsalpha0101charactercre.png

New Tiles:

Just a few tiles I made:

fsalpha0101tiles1.png

My tiles in comparison to normal WC3 tiles:

fsalpha0101tiles2.png

New Water Graphics:

fsalpha0101water1.png

fsalpha0101water2.png

My Water Graphics in comparison to normal WC3 Water graphics:

fsalpha0101water3u.png

Image quality is not good due to bad image hosting. Better quality will be viewable when 1080p video is released.

Other Stuff:

scarletbannerwarrain.png

Last edited:
Level 2
It is an EPIC!!! Map......Awesome game system!!!!:goblin_yeah:

Ummm..Anyway....(QUESTION 1)Is it a Single Player RPG gamesor LAN ORPG?:huh:

I don't want to decourage you from continueing this, but one comment made me sceptical:
That it's not a single player rpg. You obviously use arrow key controls and a 3rd person camera. While 3rd person cameras 'work' fine in multi, people never really like to play with them, because of the limited ways of controlling the cam orientation in realtime.
In MMORPG, you can turn the camera around with your mouse to always have everything you want visible. You can not do that in WC3 (although I once tried to create a mouse cam rotation system, but it failed due to a possibility to move a camera target without having to stop cam swaying), which will leave you with only one possibility: using arrow keys.

And using arrow keys at all is a bad, bad, extremely bad idea. Arrow keys suck in multi. Period. Don't use them.

Just some advice. Good luck with your map.

Level 31
Character creation stuff could be better.

The camera seemed really good, but it'll be some nasty delay online. I can almost guarantee that 9 out of 10 players will want a way to disable it to just go to the norm wc3 camera.

The town looked rather plain. The two tables in the tavern looked nice, but that was about it : ).

Did I spot overused trainers?

Level 8
Character creation stuff could be better.

The camera seemed really good, but it'll be some nasty delay online. I can almost guarantee that 9 out of 10 players will want a way to disable it to just go to the norm wc3 camera.

The town looked rather plain. The two tables in the tavern looked nice, but that was about it : ).

Did I spot overused trainers?

I will be improving the Character Creation, and the town is not even close to finished. Neither is the Tavern. I have been occupied working with systems, mostly the inventory system, so I haven't had time to develop the town at all.

Oh, and the whole Trainer thing is going to change once I've finished with the Inventory System

{EDIT}
BUMP/UPDATE::

I have been experimenting with the Movement system and I have found ways to significantly reduce the delay in movement when playing in Battle.net (Online). Will post another update when I have fully optimized it.

Inventory System is nearing completion and a Video and Screenshots will be posted when it is finished!

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 8
you really like wow based maps :)

anyway i watched the video and i like the character selection. tho the city terain looks bad (sorry but its my opinion).

also all races should not be able to be all classes if you ask me

good job anyways

Like I said, I have had absolutely no time to work on the city yet, so its out of question. When I've finished with the Inventory and I have fixed up the gameplay a bit, then I will do work on the city terrain, and I guarantee that when I actually am able to work on it, it will blow your mind :p

Also, when I was talking about the improved Character Creation system, I guess I could do some work on what races can be what classes.

I have been experimenting with the Movement system and I have found ways to significantly reduce the delay in movement when playing in Battle.net (Online). Will post another update when I have fully optimized it.
Would you mind sharing your wisdom with us, please? I just doubt you found a way that hundreds of experienced JASSers over the last five years couldn't find ...

Level 8
Would you mind sharing your wisdom with us, please? I just doubt you found a way that hundreds of experienced JASSers over the last five years couldn't find ...

What happened was I changed the variables to arrays and the delay got a little bit worse, so I'm guessing that if I experiment with it a bit more I can reduce the delay.

Oh, and also, IDFC what other people couldnt do. Im the first person to be making a full scale ORPG with a full screen Inventory System, a bank, the indoor environments, the graphical enhancements (like Weather and Lighting), and the ability to save in one map (one zone) and load in another map (another zone), as well as everything else that I am doing (like texture changes when equipping Leg and possibly Chest and Belt armor items).

Oh, and also, IDFC what other people couldnt do. Im the first person to be making a full scale ORPG with a full screen Inventory System, a bank, the indoor environments, the graphical enhancements (like Weather and Lighting), and the ability to save in one map (one zone) and load in another map (another zone), as well as everything else that I am doing (like texture changes when equipping Leg and possibly Chest and Belt armor items).
No offense, really, but all of that has been done before. Oo
Except for the last thing ... but it will make you hit the 8 mb map limit very fast.
I don't want to badmouth your work and ideas. I just want to bring some thoughts to your mind you possbly didn't think of yet.

Level 8
No offense, really, but all of that has been done before. Oo

Really? All of that, and the ability to play it on Battle.net, has been done before in one map? Please, send me a link. This is the first I've ever heard of this.

Except for the last thing ... but it will make you hit the 8 mb map limit very fast.

You underestimate me. Im getting the highest quality for the lowest file size. The ONLY files that are gonna be taking up a lot of space are the Character MODELS, which I have no problem with because of all their attachment points, their extremely good quality, they have 3 different types of animations for each weapon type (INCLUDING BOW AND OFFHAND), they have animations for dodge parry and block, animations for being stunned, animations for swimming, animations for running AND walking (and in my map Players can toggle between running and walking), each model has a spell casting and spell throw animation, and two different death animations. So the character models are clearly worth their 600-800kb file size.

And the texture changes for wearing armor are not gonna be complete texture changes of the whole model, they are gonna be low-file size (as usual) textures only covering the part of the model that will be getting changed (I.E. Legs will be Replacable Texture X, Chest will be Replacable Texture Y, ect.)

I have 3 years of graphic design under my belt, so when it comes to optimizing texture size, ASSUMING ITS EVEN NEEDED, ill be able to reduce file size and keep the quality good instead of looking half-pixelated.

The only thing I cant do is reduce the file size of models, and I'm learning about model editing fairly quickly so I'm assuming I will be able to do this by the time its needed.

And the texture changes for wearing armor are not gonna be complete texture changes of the whole model, they are gonna be low-file size (as usual) textures only covering the part of the model that will be getting changed (I.E. Legs will be Replacable Texture X, Chest will be Replacable Texture Y, ect.)
I'm curious ... how are you going to do that?
You can not replace textures of models via trigger. All you can do is having one animation tag for every different texture used. In this case, you'd have to copy all of the animations again and again for each texture change, resulting in a ridicolously large model fize size.

But if you want examples of maps that have "your" features:
The Kingdom of Kaliron, Dark Invasion II, Shadows of Everwood, Gaias Retaliation

Listen, man, I'm not trying to put you off all your ideas, I just want to help by giving you advice based on a mapmaking experience I have gathered since WC3 was first released. I never saw someone succeeding in creating a good playable 3rd person cam in multi which people would prefer over birdseye. Same goes for arrow key controls. There are some limits to the wc3 engine you simply can not overcome without altering the game executable.
But you clearly don't want advice or help, which brings me to a point where I am not really interested in keeping up this discussion anymore. Good luck with your map.

Level 8
I'm curious ... how are you going to do that?

http://www.wc3c.net/showpost.php?p=1043980

Shadows of Everwood doesn't have the indoor environments that my map has, neither does Gaia's Retaliation or The Kingdom of Kaliron or Dark Invasion II. What I mean by indoor environments is buildings or caves that are actually there (not that you get teleported into) with exterior and interior walls, roof, and floor (an actual building).

None of these maps have the Weather/Lighting system that I am working on, or (not including the texture swapping) the attachments linked to the inventory system that allow your entire character to be customized depending on the equipment he is wearing.

Despite all this, the maps you had named are impressive, particularily Shadows of Everwood and Dark Invasion II. I am only trying to prove the fact that, just because other people havent done something, doesnt mean I can't do it.

Level 8
Like I said though, I think I might find ways to significantly reduce that. I know that what had increased it was simply changing the 11 variables to 1 array, but that still means that something I did had an effect on it. I think I will be able to do it.

Like I said though, I think I might find ways to significantly reduce that. I know that what had increased it was simply changing the 11 variables to 1 array, but that still means that something I did had an effect on it. I think I will be able to do it.

Arrays are about 8000x larger then a variable of the same type that is not arrayed. But speed wise, I am unsure as to whether they are quicker or slower. Perhaps someone should do a benchmark. Anyway I believe it is most logical that they are slower then non arrayed variables because non arrayed variables don't have to look for an extension. And as for having arrow key movement in multiplayer... Give up now, nothing will even remotely be as precise as you want it to be. As stated before wc3 modders have had years to find a way around that delay with arrow keys in multiplayer. I seriously doubt that you, one person, will do what hundreds or even thousands could not. Also a little known fact, 99% of people who play wc3 HATE camera systems, period.

And hence that your project absolutely must require arrow key movement, my advice to you is, give up on the project it's just a waste of time.

Level 8
Can a mod please remove any posts on my thread telling me to stop my project or give up on my project? I find posts like that kind of useless and aggravating.

Oh and btw, i showed my map to over 20 people on battle.net, and only 1 person didnt like it.

Last edited:
I can say knowing without a doubt that this project will have much harder critics than myself, and I haven't even played this. Everything I have said I have backed it up with examples. But I could have said:
This project sucks and wont last five seconds on battle.net.
Which do you prefer?

It is honest straight forward advice, take it or leave it.

Level 8
I can say knowing without a doubt that this project will have much harder critics than myself, and I haven't even played this. Everything I have said I have backed it up with examples. But I could have said:
Which do you prefer?

It is honest straight forward advice, take it or leave it.

If thats the case, then why did the people who tested it like it so much?

And like i said, its not just a few friends who i called up to show my map to... its around 20 random people on Battle.net who saw it and liked it.

Do me a favor and dont respond to this, like I said, the shit your saying is aggravating me.

Level 16
Arrays are about 8000x larger then a variable of the same type that is not arrayed. But speed wise, I am unsure as to whether they are quicker or slower. Perhaps someone should do a benchmark. Anyway I believe it is most logical that they are slower then non arrayed variables because non arrayed variables don't have to look for an extension.

Guess you have no idea what you're talking about. Whatcha think, what's the only possible way of using 6 different variables rather than an array with the size of 6? Writing a bunch of ifs. I'm not even sure if a simple if call is faster than an array read, but once you reach the 6th if block, you might guess which one will be faster.

Can a mod please remove any posts on my thread telling me to stop my project or give up on my project? I find posts like that kind of fucking useless and aggravating.

They're annoying for sure, but it's your fault if you answer them instead of PM-ing or VM-ing a moderator.

Guess you have no idea what you're talking about. Whatcha think, what's the only possible way of using 6 different variables rather than an array with the size of 6? Writing a bunch of ifs. I'm not even sure if a simple if call is faster than an array read, but once you reach the 6th if block, you might guess which one will be faster.

As I said before I was unsure about speed as it is not what I'm sure of. But as for the size, yes they are 8000x or more bigger than an unarrayed variable. Beyond all of that it doesn't matter how many variables you use the event of player presses a arrow key is delayed as hell. If you were to just run the event and a single action the delay will still be there. And as far as I can see no one will want to play with delay. Not to mention how many systems this map will require. I'm guessing this would be stuck with about 0.2-0.4 second delay. Which not many would tolerate.

Level 11
Let me speak out of my own experience. As you might know I'm working on Darkwind RPG. And my projects uses dynamic texture swap as well. By that method I can change the texture of buttons in UI or armortexture on a unit i.e. The only problem is, that you can only have 1(one) rep texture per model. Means trying to have rep ID 31 for chest and rep ID 32 for legs won't work. My solution for this issue was to have the hero model split into independet units, that are aligned in position, rotation and animation. Now I'm able to swap the texture for face,chest,hands,legs,cloak and robe. And just don't give up, arrow might not be the best control in multiplayer, thats right, but you can still create an intense feeling by changing to a isometric view(like in diablo i.e.) in combinatin with fading walls/cylings etc.

Level 16
As I said before I was unsure about speed as it is not what I'm sure of. But as for the size, yes they are 8000x or more bigger than an unarrayed variable.

JASS:
globals
    private integer itemOne
    private integer itemTwo
    private integer itemThree
    private integer itemFour
endglobals

JASS:
globals
    private integer array itemAll[4]
endglobals

Their size is the same.

Level 8
Let me speak out of my own experience. As you might know I'm working on Darkwind RPG. And my projects uses dynamic texture swap as well. By that method I can change the texture of buttons in UI or armortexture on a unit i.e. The only problem is, that you can only have 1(one) rep texture per model. Means trying to have rep ID 31 for chest and rep ID 32 for legs won't work. My solution for this issue was to have the hero model split into independet units, that are aligned in position, rotation and animation. Now I'm able to swap the texture for face,chest,hands,legs,cloak and robe. And just don't give up, arrow might not be the best control in multiplayer, thats right, but you can still create an intense feeling by changing to a isometric view(like in diablo i.e.) in combinatin with fading walls/cylings etc.

With Alpha channels and proper texture mapping it will work, having one replaceable texture for chest, one for legs, ect. will work.

Level 11
Your materials can only have 1 alpha channel each. Texture mapping has nothing to do with the fact that wc3 only supports the use of ONE rep texture per units/model. I would be more than surprised if you could get it running, don't get me wrong. But I tried myself for about 3 months and the only working solution I came up was using aligned units to simulated a completed body.

Level 8
Your materials can only have 1 alpha channel each. Texture mapping has nothing to do with the fact that wc3 only supports the use of ONE rep texture per units/model. I would be more than surprised if you could get it running, don't get me wrong. But I tried myself for about 3 months and the only working solution I came up was using aligned units to simulated a completed body.

I didn't know that, thanks for telling me lol :p
I will still try experimenting to see if I can get that shit working though

If I cant get it working then I will only use it for the Leg textures

Look, Miles, we don't want to badmouth your ideas and stuff. Really, why should we do that? WC3 needs a lot more high quality rpgs (there are thousands of rpgs, but 99,9% of them suck giant balls) and we all agree on it.

However ... We just want to give advice. When you are starting a map, no matter what, you are always full of ideas and imaginations. You know you can create the best map ever and stuff. But there are times when you have to face that - no matter how hard you try - you are limited to what's given to you in terms of editing tools and engine limitations.
You can workaround some limitations, but there are some you can't. Arrow key controls for example. I don't want to lie to you here: There ARE solutions to this. Heck, even mouse camera controls are possible. But it requires to alter the game exe so it will turn off battlenet compatibility.

Also ... this texture stuff you are going to do. Clearly a good idea. But when you start to focus more on terraining, you will realize one thing: 8 megabyte is fucking nothing. You will come to a point where you will want to have highress doodad models and terrain textures. And this is where you will start to fight over every kilobyte used. And then, oh boy, you will see this awesome boss model on hive and want to import it ... but damn, its 200KB. Don't have enough map space for this ... goddamn, why did I go for a texture swap approach instead of ordinary attachment models?
A standard attachment model is around 5-7 kb. That's the size of a damn icon. This is affordable. Textures aren't. Even if the textures are only like 30kb, this still means you could use 4 attachment models for the space of one single texture. When your map gets bigger and bigger and you got more and more items, the amount of map space you will need just for the textures will skyrocket. And in this situation, you will have two options: either import less item textures ... or save space on something else on the map. You will eventually come to a point where you will have to go for trade-offs.
Just imagine you have 100 items with a 30 kb texture used. This equals 3 fucking megabyte alone for the items! And 100 items is nothing! A good rpg needs 500-1000 items to actually give players a good selection of what to take - especially if you have like 10 different equipment slots and for example 3 item armor classifications (cloth, leather, mail). Of course you could recycle textures, but still you would be much more limited than you would without the texture approach.

And I probably don't need to tell you that you won't have 3 megabyte of map space just for item graphics, don't I? You need like 2 megabyte alone for a good selection of fucking item icons(!!!). Then you will need to import 2-3 megabyte just for some good looking doodad models. 1 megabyte must remain empty for the increasing use a memory just for placing doodads, coding, etc. ... and then, you'd still use ugly default tilesets which are like 160-200kb each to replace!

To sum it up: Just because you CAN do something, it doesn't neccesarily mean that you can create a whole map with it.

Of course ... this only goes for bnet compatible maps. It's something totally different if you chose to make it solo-only or non-bnet multiplayer.

And again: We don't want to decourage you. It seems like a promising project. We just recommend doing everything one by one. Don't try to achieve everything at once. Do one thing and make it good. If you then still have the resources to do another thing, do it. Etc.
If you try to get everything done at once, you will fail and will never finish the project.

Level 11
I agree with Zwiebelchen. I was once in the same situation. First I wanted to create Darkwind only for single player. But that I decided that having it working for multiplayer will increase the popularity. But the costs were high, 8mb are nothing like allready said. I tried hard to keep every feature and saved space were I was able to. Optimized models(scratch made) same with textures. Even if I could reduce the filesize of an icon from 5 to 1-2 kb without loss of quality 8mb simply won't be enough. Terrainart, textures, models, UIelements and even the script with right now like 60k lines of code is simply to much for that limit.

So I decided to take a workaround. DW now will only be playable with an special mpq.file that replaces your War3Patch.mpq. You'll still be able to play normal wc3 tft but also DW. The player will be able to download that mpq together with the maps via an installer I coded. Maybe that is the only chance for you to keep the quality and number of features in your project.

Level 4
Some suggestions:

Add some epic Bosses some hidden and some to unlocked ;]
some of them make really big and give them many skills to use, so the battle we be more interesting:
Some boss suggestion:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/beholder-49643/?prev=search=monster&d=list&r=20
his pawns: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...61450/?prev=search=monster&r=20&d=list&page=3
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/megapod-151608/?prev=search=monster&r=20&d=list&page=3
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/broodlord_ph09-144199/?prev=u=Pyramidhe@d&r=20&page=2
his pawns http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/ripper_ph09-144477/?prev=u=Pyramidhe@d&r=20&page=4
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/deep-one-193528/?prev=u=Pyramidhe@d&r=20&page=2
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/dessicator-170692/?prev=u=Pyramidhe@d&r=20&page=3
http://wc3r.forumcircle.com/viewtopic.php?t=18347
http://wc3r.forumcircle.com/viewtopic.php?t=9185
http://wc3r.forumcircle.com/viewtopic.php?t=12067
http://wowinwc3.forumcircle.com/viewtopic.php?p=59276&

for some vampire plot ;]
For Example if players find something or do something this will trigger vampire invasion on the village of something like that.
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...92506/?prev=search=monster&r=20&d=list&page=3
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/archervampire-94444/?prev=u=Pyramidhe@d&r=20&page=5
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/vampirebat-94278/?prev=u=Pyramidhe@d&r=20&page=5

other stuff
http://wc3r.forumcircle.com/viewtopic.php?p=295160
http://wc3r.forumcircle.com/viewtopic.php?t=11125
http://wc3r.forumcircle.com/viewtopic.php?t=5273

And some things like player can cause disaster for the city for example due to wakening up some kind evil and all villagers are wiped out [of course this is optional scenario]

Last edited:
Level 8
Update::
Full Screen Inventory system is finished, video has been released and can be viewed at the bottom of the main post. Inventory will be fixed up to look more neat in the near future. Information on the new Armor system, dodge/parry/block system, attack/spell power system, and crit/spell crit systems will be released in the near future.

Level 24
It seems like an awesome game however I would suggest you to use diffrent item cheasts and make them smaller also I would suggest you to follow Blizzards original idea and add High Elves instead of gnomes. The reason I say this is because witheout Northrend gnomes are the most boring characters that exists lore wise and there is really no reason that they help the Alliance exept for the fact that they like the dwarves. And if we take High Elves for example there is alot of things going on, because of Garithos there's alot of argument about really siding with the alliance and there is a living argument that really give the race a colour. Also we have many great High Elven characters unlike the gnomes. Wee have for example Veréesa and Alleria Windrunner and to not mention that they have comed alot futher in descovery then the gnomes have. They are Azeroths greatest sorcerers and they have great historical knowledge.

Level 8
It seems like an awesome game however I would suggest you to use diffrent item cheasts and make them smaller also I would suggest you to follow Blizzards original idea and add High Elves instead of gnomes. The reason I say this is because witheout Northrend gnomes are the most boring characters that exists lore wise and there is really no reason that they help the Alliance exept for the fact that they like the dwarves. And if we take High Elves for example there is alot of things going on, because of Garithos there's alot of argument about really siding with the alliance and there is a living argument that really give the race a colour. Also we have many great High Elven characters unlike the gnomes. Wee have for example Veréesa and Alleria Windrunner and to not mention that they have comed alot futher in descovery then the gnomes have. They are Azeroths greatest sorcerers and they have great historical knowledge.

First of all, what the hell is a cheast? Oh you mean the item models? Yeah I will be doing some work changing the way item looting works a bit. :)

Second of all, there are no gnomes in my map, there are dwarves, and I do not plan on ever adding Gnomes, at least not typically :)

Third of all, High Elves are already a playable race in my map.

Last edited:
Level 8
Progress Update::

-Visual Improvements on the Fullscreen Inventory system have been made.

-Item Drag-And-Drop will soon replace current item movement IF it runs smoothly enough.

-Item Icons in inventory system will be replaced with images instead of destructible with an icon model, which will decrease map size and improve performance.

-Dodge, Parry, Block, Crit Strike, and Spell Crit have all been incorporated into the combat system, along with multiple animations for Dodge, Parry, Block, and getting hit.

-Improvements have been made on attack animations: There are now 2 different animations for attacking with One-Handed Maces/One-Handed Axes, One-Handed Swords/Daggers, Staffs/Polearms, 3 different animations for attacking with Offhand (Dual-Wieldings), and animations for special attacks with different weapon types.

-Progress is being made on a custom Rain system that incorporates high quality rain weather into warcraft 3 including high quality rain drops, density changes depending on how hard its raining, water rings in the water, and a slight fog/mist. Weather only affects the outdoor environment, so its not gonna be raining inside buildings

-Player Hero Icon/Health/Mana display at the top left of the screen is being replaced with a larger icon and health/mana bar which will display health and mana percent and buff/debuff icons, as well as an indicator as to whether or not the player is in combat. Note: Whether or not we are keeping this feature, or leaving this part of the game alone, is a decision that is yet to be made.

-Item attachment models for Chest, Bracers, Gloves, Belt, and Boots are close to finished.

-All Player Character models are being edited to have no equipment on except for underwear. The Male Human model is being edited to have shorter hair that will fit inside head items, and the Human Female and Elf Female models are being edited for their hair to be thinner so that it comes out from the bottom of head items (helms).

-A system to reduce lag and heavily increase performance is in development, which will essentially remove and store everything in the map that is not within 8000 range of any player. Any visuals that are not within 8000 range of an individual player will not be present for that player to be slowed down by.

-The map is still being optimized and made more efficient; while we are still adding much more to the map, the map size is being reduced thanks to optimization.

-We can only have one texture change system working, so we are still deciding whether we should use texture changes for Leg items or for Character Customization (Skin/Hair color, ect.)
Please reply to this thread with your opinion on whether we should use Texture Changes for Leg items, or for Character Customization, and a detailed reason why.

Level 11
I think it is better with legs, cause when you have armor and stuff you wont be able to see hair or skin. Also it would look really wierd if you had some heavy plate armor and your legs remained made of cloth?

Or did I misunderstood?

Anyway, this looks very promising, eagerly waiting for it to be released :)

Status
Not open for further replies.