• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

[ORPG] Forgotten Storms - Continuation of WoWWC3, Third Person Camera, Char. Creation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
anything done?
or died a good death?

Work has been done, a Lot of work has been done, and continues to be done, but I don't want to get this thread up and moving again until i have a steady work flow on this project. If you want a progress update, here it goes:

New movement system is going to be cleaner and faster than the previous one, pressing spacebar lets you jump. There is also a new feature, which doesnt allow you to climb angles that are too steep, and that allows you to fall instead of just drop a distance. We are also thinking of allowing players to swim (with a certain swim animation) in water, but we are thinking that not allowing players to swim in deep water will add to the aspect of perspective in the map.

Theres also 5 new tiles so far, and each new tile is double the quality and resolution of normal WC3 tiles (normal WC3 tiles are 128x128, our tiles are 256x256). We have also done new rain graphics, which are much higher quality and resolution than normal WC3 rain graphics, and we are planning on doing the same thing with other weather effects. On top of that we are working on new Water graphics.

We are improving the character creation and inventory systems, and redoing the character creation design, and we are planning on adding a GUI for players to have access to without being engaged in the fullscreen systems.

I think that covers it. I'll post some screenshots later on today, just so you guys can see the progress thats being made.

Level 24
Awesome can't wait to see them it's nice to see something happening on this forum again I was affraid that this project had died just like WC3:WOW.

Level 8
New Screenshots Revealed!

New Character Creation Layout (in progress):

fsalpha0101charactercre.png

New Tiles:

Just a few tiles I made:

fsalpha0101tiles1.png

My tiles in comparison to normal WC3 tiles:

fsalpha0101tiles2.png

New Water Graphics:

fsalpha0101water1.png

fsalpha0101water2.png

My Water Graphics in comparison to normal WC3 Water graphics:

fsalpha0101water3u.png

Last edited:
Level 8
project is EPIC but that yellowish font color hurts my eyes...

and yeah, the title is too long... you could have cut it until the WoWWc3 part... the next parts aren't really needed on a title...

I wonder what's the file size of all the maps combined?

When I'm redesigning the thread I'll make the text easier on the eyes.

Can I get a mod to change the thread title to just:
"[ORPG] Forgotten Storms - Continuation of WoWWC3"
Its not letting me change the actual title of the thread, so if a mod could do that for me, it would be very helpful.

Thanks for your feedback Adiktuz :)
Right now I can't give away an estimate of the end file size, even of the maps that I have so far, because I'm still always adding and removing and optimizing everything, so its hard to say.

yeah, like those... I really liked the effect of using the fence as icon borders... because right now, the inner part of the hero icons uses the fence, while the outer part uses the wood, so it looks kinda bad... it make it seem like the wood overlapped into the icon...

sample: the paladin icon, it has the fence border at the right and lower part, but the wood on the left and top part...

btw, the idea is really cool...

Level 8
yeah, like those... I really liked the effect of using the fence as icon borders... because right now, the inner part of the hero icons uses the fence, while the outer part uses the wood, so it looks kinda bad... it make it seem like the wood overlapped into the icon...

sample: the paladin icon, it has the fence border at the right and lower part, but the wood on the left and top part...

Alright, I'll do that then. Thanks for the input :)

Level 8

Does this look better? Its a bit messy compared to what I had before, but is it what you had in mind?

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

Does this look better? Its a bit messy compared to what I had before, but is it what you had in mind?

Try using the interface borders instead of what you're using now.
Example:

1.jpg

The nelf border is just to show you that they work, the human boarders might look good for the character selection interface though.

Level 8
Got back to working on the map after sorting out IRL crap.
Just like to let everyone know:

The new movement system (space bar = jump, player characters can't run up terrain/structures if the angle is too steep, player characters now fall from height and take fall damage)

New camera system is almost done (camera doesn't go through terrain or objects, camera distance/angleOfAttack/cameraHeight/farZ is adjustable by player)

New character creation is finished, just needs some touch ups. Stats are going to be changed a bit too, to give the game more of a Dungeons and Dragons aspect.

As for the inventory system, I just need to implement it into the new map file and make a few improvements and bug fixes.

Work in Progress:
-Chest Armor, Bracers (wrist/forarm armor), boots, and upper/lower leg armor models rather than plain texture changes.

Once this is presentable I'll update the thread with new screenshots/videos. I apologize for the amount of time it has taken for the project to make progress, but real life is unfortunately unavoidable =(

Level 11
Got back to working on the map after sorting out IRL crap.
Just like to let everyone know:

The new movement system (space bar = jump, player characters can't run up terrain/structures if the angle is too steep, player characters now fall from height and take fall damage)

New camera system is almost done (camera doesn't go through terrain or objects, camera distance/angleOfAttack/cameraHeight/farZ is adjustable by player)

New character creation is finished, just needs some touch ups. Stats are going to be changed a bit too, to give the game more of a Dungeons and Dragons aspect.

As for the inventory system, I just need to implement it into the new map file and make a few improvements and bug fixes.

Work in Progress:
-Chest Armor, Bracers (wrist/forarm armor), boots, and upper/lower leg armor models rather than plain texture changes.

Once this is presentable I'll update the thread with new screenshots/videos. I apologize for the amount of time it has taken for the project to make progress, but real life is unfortunately unavoidable =(

Wow i thought you left the project, anyway i wait for pictures.

Level 8
The whole thing looks awesome .But plz ,tell us somethin about talent system ,and there is a lack of information about spells .How many spells will a character have,classes gonna have like the same abilityes as in wow?etc.
Thx in advance !

In the character creation screen you'll be able to pick a "bloodline", similar to a spec, which will have an impact on most of your class' abilities and on certain quests. The bloodlines available are Shadow, War, and Storm. There will be a lot of perks and abilities you will be able to gain specific to your class, spec, and both ingame through quests and other activities. Instead of having a talent tree, your choices ingame will impact your character, and there will be many spells and abilities available ingame that you will be able to add to your action bar (similar to WoW).

Level 11
In the character creation screen you'll be able to pick a "bloodline", similar to a spec, which will have an impact on most of your class' abilities and on certain quests. The bloodlines available are Shadow, War, and Storm. There will be a lot of perks and abilities you will be able to gain specific to your class, spec, and both ingame through quests and other activities. Instead of having a talent tree, your choices ingame will impact your character, and there will be many spells and abilities available ingame that you will be able to add to your action bar (similar to WoW).

Any screenshots???

Level 19
You sure this is an ORPG?
Looks more like an RPG to me because of all the imports.
Would be cool if it's an ORPG though!

Level 12
You sure this is an ORPG?
Looks more like an RPG to me because of all the imports.
Would be cool if it's an ORPG though!

According to his first post this will be an ORPG just with multiple maps that you can go back and forth between check this;

A huge number of maps, ranging between 30-40, will be hosted simultaneously by our hosting bots. You will be able to play in one of these maps, save your character, and load your character in another map. A list of the hosting bot names will be posted, so that if you wanted to play your character in Duskwood, you could log into Warcraft 3 and type (once the hosting bots are up) "/whois WoWWC3-Duskwood" and be given a game name for you to join! I will take it upon myself to purchase these bots. But note that, this early in development, it will be months before even a couple of maps are out. With a full team it would likely take a few years before we have expanded to the point of 30-40 full maps being hosted

Level 8
Alright I threw something together...
It's not much, but it shows off the tiles (I only had 4) and the water graphics. I also made my own rain texture but the resolution of this one is way too low for it to be noticeable.
54874565.png

27087734.png

26339375.png

17230299.png

I know you were probably expecting a lot of cool stuff like the new attachments and combat, but that stuff isn't ready yet =(

Last edited:
Level 2
Alright I threw something together...
It's not much, but it shows off the tiles (I only had 4) and the water graphics. I also made my own rain texture but the resolution of this one is way too low for it to be noticeable.

54874565.png

27087734.png

26339375.png

17230299.png

I know you were probably expecting a lot of cool stuff like the new attachments and combat, but that stuff isn't ready yet =(

:thumbs_up:
Just one sentence!Dont give up!This will be a very cooooooooooooool map~

Level 8
The last screenshot of terrain that I put up was pretty bad, and I was going to wait until I had more area covered before I posted more pictures, but just to keep you guys interested and show you some of the style of terrain that I'll be using in my map:

updatescreenshot1.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.