• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Map protection... darky ban me if you wana i dont care...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I just read the site protection policy and it’s screwed up. I know that there is a small group of people that want to learn but there is another side to it. People are protecting there maps so that they get the credit for their work. I have to examples in life right now. I could tell you about. darky do you lock your house before you leave? If so why? is it to keep thieves out? Well don’t you think they could learn about what brand of plasma screen tv makes one that size? You’re preventing them from learning. Another is copy righting. Do you agree with that? You see you may not know about this one VG. People in the world today buy rights to things that designed to make sure there’s no competition. They do it so they can feed their families at night! Would you take that from them? Are you agenst that? There are thousands of maps that are unprotected if they need help they can copy of of blizards THOUSANDS OF MAPS!!!... They don’t need to start of with something as advanced as bug evolution. You are right that there is a group of a few people out there that really want learn. But the majority wants to take credit for things they didn't do, OR AD CHEATS TO THE FRICKEN THING! so darky VG BAN ME IF YOU WANT BUT YOU CANT STOP ME FROM PROTECTING MAPS! it’s called... TALERINCE LIBERAL PEOPLE! -banana2000

Level 7
The problem with protection is that it's not foolproof. There's only two ways to do that, and while the one is extremely effective, it is essentially a virus, and should you attempt to accidently open that map, you f--- yourself. The other method screws-up your upgrades and adds a massive amount of lag. Any other kind of protection can easily be broken, but I do agree that even simple protection is a good way to keep nooby thieves away.

Level 22
I just read the site protection policy and it’s screwed up.

Okay, this ought to be good...certainly the insightful and constructive criticism of an intelligent member of this community might be something that could brighten my day, correct? I have a feeling my hopes are about to be shattered.

I know that there is a small group of people that want to learn but there is another side to it.

And down they go. Small? Most of the time when someone opens someone else's map, it to find out how they did something. Thats a fact. For every map that is stolen, there are thousands that are not.

People are protecting there maps so that they get the credit for their work.

Protecting maps gets people credit? Does that mean I got no credit for my work because none of mine are protected? Does that mean if I use 10 different map protectors on one, I'll get more credit then anyone else's map? Well shoot, I must've been an IDIOT this whole time.

I have to examples in life right now. I could tell you about. darky do you lock your house before you leave? If so why? is it to keep thieves out? Well don’t you think they could learn about what brand of plasma screen tv makes one that size?

Someone intruding into your house to steal something is a federal crime, punishable under court of law. Home invasion can easily lead to more serious threats (hence why I always keep a loaded M4 next to my chair). Last I heard no one was beaten, raped, killed or robbed of real monetary value over the openening of a map. Opening someone else's is not a crime, genious.

You’re preventing them from learning.

You mean preventing someone from learning how to commit crimes? Thats called aiding an embedding a criminal.

Another is copy righting. People in the world today buy rights to things that designed to make sure there’s no competition

Go to the World Editor End User Licence Agreement. Read the second paragraph. Tell me what it says.

Whats wrong? Too lazy? Here, I'll read it for you:

"2. Ownership. All title, ownership rights, and intellectual property rights in and to the Program and any and all copies thereof (including, but not limited to, any titles, computer code, themes, objects, characters, character names, stories, dialog, catch phrases, locations, concepts, artwork, animations, sounds, musical compositions, audio-visual effects, methods of operation, moral rights, any related documentation, and "applets" incorporated into the Program) are owned by Blizzard Entertainment or its licensors. The Program is protected by the copyright laws of the United States, international copyright treaties, and conventions and other laws. All rights are reserved. The Program contains certain licensed materials, and Blizzard's licensors may protect their rights in the event of any violation of this Agreement."

Guess what that means? Every single thing you produce with the world editor IS ALREADY PROPERY OF BLIZZARD ENTERTAINMENT. You have copywrites over JACK.

They do it so they can feed their families at night!

Thats funny....I've built 23 maps and a 13 map campaign and none of that has ever put a meal on my table.

There are thousands of maps that are unprotected if they need help they can copy of of blizards

Blizzard doesnt do a fraction of the things that talented fans can do. There is little you can learn from them other then maybe terraining.

THOUSANDS OF MAPS!!!...

162 to be exact (not inclusing campaign maps)...all but 7 are melee....thats quite different then "THOUSANDS OF MAPS!!!". Thats not good variety for learning.

But the majority wants to take credit for things they didn't do

My experiences from dealting with thousands of mappers and modding this site for almost 2 years tells me otherwise.

YOU WANT BUT YOU CANT STOP ME FROM PROTECTING MAPS!

When did Darky or I ever say that we could? Its your freedom.

it’s called... TALERINCE LIBERAL PEOPLE!

Funny....considering liberals are not exactly known for tolerance.

...and its T-O-L-E-R-A-N-C-E.

-VGsatomi

Level 22
Half the time when I tell a liberal I served in the war (or even the army for that matter), they shun me and call me a murderer (wihout even bothering to ask what I did during it), then proceed to ingnore everything remotely constructive about our efforts that I have to say. How is that for %$#@ing tolerance?? Most media censorship is done by the left. Not much for tolerance for ideas. They are the first people to brush me off in a conversation.

Every try to argue with a liberal professor at my (or any other) university? See how tolerant they are of your views before they publicly scorn you and flat out tell you to shut up.

They are also almost always the first to throw a punch.nsult your family. vandalize your car or vandalize public & public property.

You may be right, but definatly not around where I live.

This is now getting off topic. Locked.
-VGsatomi

Status
Not open for further replies.