• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

A simple way to greatly reduce Object Editor lag!

Level 11

How to greatly reduce Object Editor lag!

The Problem

So I've heard from a number of people that they've been having a problem with the World Editor: Quite simply, when you try to do things like "delete a custom unit from the object editor," it takes an unreasonably long amount of time, even for people with stellar computers. Well, the good news is, it's not your computer's fault! With one simple action, you can remove this lag. :thumbs_up:

The Cause

The issue is, almost certainly, the Brush List. What is the Brush List, you ask? Well it's that little thing under the model previewer that shows all your object editor data. Most people don't even touch this thing, but it causes a significant amount of lag when editing units in the object editor, because the World Editor has to update the brush list.

The Solution

The solution is simple, and takes merely seconds. Simply go into your world editor, select the Window dropdown, and see where Brush List is checked. Uncheck it. You're done! Easy, huh? Now you can create or delete 60 new units in the object editor without delay! :thumbs_up:

attachment.php

^---This is what you're looking for.

More Speed

If the world editor still runs slow, you might want to make sure your computer meets the recommended system requirements. Still, for those of you who use the editor on a slow laptop or something, you can increase speed further (at the expense of multitasking effectively with other programs) if you're using a newer version of Windows (XP, Vista, etc) by setting a higher priority in the task manager. To do this, first make sure your World Editor is on and running. Next, go to the task manager (Just hit CTRL+ALT+DEL). Now, either click on the Processes tab and scroll down until you see "worldedit.exe" OR you go to the applications tab, right click on World Editor, and select "Go to process" from the dropdown menu. Now, right click on the process, and select a higher priority from the dropdown menu.

attachment.php

^---this is what you're looking for.

Be careful when you're doing this, however, because changing the priority can potentially unbalance your system. At the very least, increasing the priority of a program will hog resources for that program, and slow down any program that isn't that program until you return priorities to normal. I recommend increasing the priority gradually (one step at a time) until you find the point that works best for you.

Anyways, that's it. If you like this, please comment, etc. :)

All the best,
-Caedrus

Attachments

• WorldEditorLagCrop.jpg
    WorldEditorLagCrop.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 17,251
  • Priority.jpg
    Priority.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 17,308
Last edited by a moderator:
Level 11
^ old news are old

Maybe so, but I didn't see a tutorial about it here already, and a lot of people here don't know it, in my experience. And for those who don't know it, "new news are new." It's also a really important thing to know, seeing as creating a bunch of units takes forever if you have the brush list selected.

Level 11
Joe-Black-5 said:
First time I know about these things
it will really help me in my work
it might be old news for some but it's the first time I hear about something like this.
Thanks for the tutorial
+rep

dude freaking Sweet. It used to take forever to create custom units and change thier names. Thanks dude :D
You are welcome :)

Also just increasing it to above normal seems to be enough... and hopefully wont cause instability
Of course, this is entirely dependent on your own personal rig, so I can't really say much here. You have to figure out which settings are best for your system.

Level 2
Really Great Tut. and very usefull.
I'm working on a map now with tons of custom units and that Object edit. lag pissed me off many times.
Thx for help...now my Object editor runs like Speedy Gonzales.....seriously:thumbs_up:
rep+

Level 2
Awesome! Maybe old news to lots of modders, but newbies like me are thrilled to learn that we can disable that infuriating lag time so easily! :)

Level 1
Although it seems an old news, but for me, it could be helpful as I've been taken forever to figure out "What is the editor doing in those 3 seconds of laging?". Old news are new for me:thumbs_up:

Level 2
thank you, this is such important new news for me. What other important things are there? I gotta know.

Zulabar

Z

Zulabar

BAM! Now I finally can change Unit's icons and names quickly.
Thanks a lot. :)

Level 14
Your second tip of raised task piority only applies really for single core systems or systems which are running demanding processes on top of WE. In multi core systems it will prety much give it full use of an entire processor when it demands something.

so your saying using a quad core and putting the priority of world editor higher wouldn't make it go faster :p?

lol thats why I see no difference in speed, thnx dude :)!
(not that it's quite noticable with 8gb ddr3 memory xD)

even after changing the priority and removing the bar I still find the world editor too slow. (Especially when changing your camera with control + right mouse button) :S
even though my specs are quiet high for a program like world editor >.<
but I guess I should be more pacience. I always want everything to go really fast...

TDA

TDA

Level 4
That thing!!! It has Consumed Entire hours of my life!!!! (In total)

I only wish I knew this b4 moveing all the Object editor data from an entire map to The Campaign Editor.
That took like 1 hour and a half, when it would take me much less now.

Thanks. +Rep

Level 1
Maybe so, but I didn't see a tutorial about it here already, and a lot of people here don't know it, in my experience. And for those who don't know it, "new news are new." It's also a really important thing to know, seeing as creating a bunch of units takes forever if you have the brush list selected.

I second.

It's new news for me too. I was awed.:goblin_yeah:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Just post a sticky in the WEHZ. Name it something like "How to make WorldEdit run much faster on every system".

Hints like this need to get passive reads. Yes people who are complaining the editor is slow will find it but its different getting people who do not realise the editor could run faster to find it.

Level 2
Thanks a lot! I've been making maps for a couple of years but could never figure out why it ran so slow there, but this explains a lot so again, thanks.

Level 1
this helped more then alot, it took like 2 mins to process a thing now it's way faster, thanks for the guide:thumbs_up: