1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Take part in a Futuristic musical experience with our very own Music Contest. The 5th edition has finally arrived after a long time.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The 1st Galaxy Terraining Contest has reached an end. We've set up the poll for it. Who among these fine guys should take the cake?
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The results for Techtree Contest #11 are out!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The long awaited results for the Mini-Texturing Contest have been released. Check it out and congratulate the winner!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dust off your mapping skills, a mini-mapping contest is coming up! Cast your vote on its theme now!
    Dismiss Notice

World Editor Tips

Discussion in 'General Mapping Tutorials' started by Ralle, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Ralle

Oct 6, 2004
    This is a collection of several frequently asked questions and short tutorials about performing different tasks in the World Editor. This FAQ is by no means definitive; it serves as a basic reference and should assist mapmakers of all skill levels.

Object Editor
    Speed up Object Editor
    Open Terrain Editor, Click the menu called Window, then disable the brushlist.
    NOTE: This makes the Object Editor up to 10 times faster.

Copy objects (doodads, units etc) from map to map
    Right-click the object you want to move, press Copy, then open the new map, right-click and press paste.
    NOTE: Some units custom abilities may be messed up, just reselect it's abilities. This wont delete any of your objects.

Make new heros
    Pick a hero (paladin, warden etc.), rightclick and press copy, then rightclick again and press paste, then edit the new heros stats as you like.
    NOTE: This is the only way to make a new hero.

Heros above level 10
    Open the Terrain Editor and click Advanced, then Gameplay Constants, then find Hero Maximum Level and edit it to what you feel like.
    NOTE: Maximum is 10,000.

Heros creeping above level 5
    Open the Terrain Editor and click Advanced, then Gameplay Constants, then find Hero XP Gained - Creep Reduction Table and remove the last value 0.

Viewing raw object name
    If you need an objects raw name, hit CTRL + D to see it.

Autofill information
    When making skills with many levels it's good to rightclick on the first level and click Auto Fill Levels and set how you want it to be.

Terrain Editor
    Placing Objects without Collision-size
    Hold down SHIFT key and place the doodads.

Changing doodads height
    CTRL + PgUp for moving the doodad Up.
    CTRL + PgDn for moving the doodad Down.
    NOTE: this is very useful for placing bridges correctly.

Rotate an object
    Select the object you want to rotate, hold down CTRL, then left-click on the terrain in front of the object where you want it to point; or you may use the keyboard number pad keys / and * to rotate objects.
    NOTE: You can only rotate some objects.

Placing doodads close
    Hold down Shift and place your doodads, this will make them ignore collision size.

Controlling camera
    Zooming: Use the scrolling wheel to zoom in and out.
    Changing angle: Hold down CTRL and hold down rightclick while you rotate camera in any direction with the mouse.
    When zooming far out, black mask will appear, hold down CTRL and use the scrolling wheel to make it disappear.

Different views
    x change to letterbox view.
    v change to game view.
    c change to camera view.

Selecting / deselecting objects
    Hit SPACE to select the last selected object and again to deselect it.

Quick move objects or regions
    Hold down ALT and click wherever you want to move the selected thing.

Speed up terrain editor
    When working with many doodads / units in the Terrain Editor, it's a good idea to hit i to turn off player start locations.

Select ALL objects
    CTRL + A selects all objects in Terrain Editor According to which palette you use.

General Editor
    Easy backup
    If your map has been corrupt, go look in the Maps/Test folder, there is always a backup of the last time you tested.

Disable auto-save
    File/Preferences/General and uncheck Autosave.
    NOTE: Disabling autosave is usually a good idea, it can often be annoying and can also ruin your map if you do something wrong and it suddenly autosaves.

Taking screenshots
    Hit PrintScreen (just over the Insert button) to take a screenshot.
    NOTE: Screenshots will be saved in the Warcraft 3/Screenshots Directory.

Trigger Editor
    Remove starting units
    Remove the Action "Melee Game - Create starting units (for all players)" from the trigger "Melee Initialization".

Remove starting resources
    Remove the Action "Melee Game - Set starting resources (for all players)" from the trigger "Melee Initialization".
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2007
  2. VergilThazaar

Oct 22, 2006
    Very Good, but you forgot the most important and usefull keys.
    Ctrl + Z = Undo (go back / remove the last action)
    Ctrl + Y = Redo (go forward / recover the last action)

*edit by Wolve*

Thanks VergilThazaar!

I included your addition. In a few days, I'll delete this post (your post count will not be reduced).
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2007
  3. myydraal

May 1, 2007
    Reopen Tool Palette

This is really important, I think. If you accidentally closed the Tool Palette for editing Terrain, Doodads, regions, etc. go to
    Window --> New Palette --> Terrain.
  4. PurgeandFire

Code Moderator

Nov 11, 2006
    Wow, this can be extremely useful to people new to the editor, gj! +rep

That isn't entirely true though. Not all screenshots are saved into the directory unless it is a picture of the terrain. I strongly suggest that you include that when you are taking screenshots of something such as the object editor/trigger editor, it will not say screen captured. You must click CTRL + C then open an art program such as Photoshop, Ifranview, Paint Shop Pro, even Paint and click CTRL + V then crop it and save it as JPEG or something that takes up less space. This has been troubling many people before because many times I hear people saying "Sorry, I can't take screenshots" though they can, but they don't know how. :emote_smile:

You can also go to Layer | Terrain, though sometimes you can't always use that.
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  5. Herio-san

Aug 31, 2005
    Great tutorial for beginners. Something I use that you left out. If you want to speed up the load time on WE you can go under File -> Preferences and uncheck 'Create New Map on Start-Up'.
    Also, you didnt say anything about enabling negative values in the WE which allows you to create all sorts of crazy abilities and rotate doodads along the z axis.
  6. VergilThazaar

Oct 22, 2006
    Ehm... Why would the post be deleted?
  7. KingHeartless

Sep 4, 2007
    Ty for these tips! (even though i knew most except for how to make my object editor faster) +rep for u!
  8. lordolly

Sep 5, 2007
    WC3 World Editor Icons?

hey im sure this is relevent but i want to find out how to change the small icons like the gold lumber food upkeep Icons and the small icons on the units next to the DMG and Armor, if anyone know how to change them can you please give mke a reply:thumbs_up:
  9. lordolly

Sep 5, 2007
    also seeing people saying they close the Pallets you can just press the U,T,D keys to bring up unit terrain doodads pallet ^^
  10. Bubba Ex

Bubba Ex
    Aug 16, 2007
    @ lordolly to change the food/lumber/gold icons (can change text too) go to advanced/game interface, check the use custom game interface checkbox then scroll down to Icon-Food, Icon-Gold or Icon-Lumber and change them to what you want. Theres loads more in there that you can change to enhance the game interface besides just those.
  11. Super-Sheep

Oct 21, 2006

Thanks for Ctrl+Page up/down. :)
  12. PA3OPx2

Nov 1, 2007
    how to sett hero limits
  13. Slingran

Mar 11, 2008
    How to make items stack?

Hello, my question: I want to find out how to get items to stack like it does in DotA, for example: if you buy a healing pot (x1), then you buy another one it will instead of be one and one (fill 2 slots) be 2 in one (fill one slot) :eekani:.

Short version :xxd: : I want to know how to make x2 of an item stack to x1 with 2 charges if you know what I mean. It's a trigger, isn't it?

If you have time please mail me the answer at "blume.andreas@hotmail.com"
    Thank you! :thumbs_up:
  14. forzamoto

Apr 14, 2008
    Try looking for ( Item stacking of DOOM )
  15. TheCheat

Jun 15, 2007
    That is not the only way to make a new hero.
  16. Squiggy

Mar 25, 2008
    Thanks for correcting a two-year old tutorial
    Sure you can just create a new hero by clicking Make a new unit -> Choose Hero -> yay
  17. TheCheat

Jun 15, 2007
    I was just browsing... I dunno.
    (btw) 3rd way: click on the hero you want/click create new hero/type the hero name (not proper name) and ok.
    Oh and sorry if I came off like an ass commenting on a 2 year old tutorial.
  18. cHeRoL

Mar 30, 2008
    I like them and useful for begginers :).
  19. NinjasDontFight

Apr 13, 2008
    Out of curiousty, wasn't something similiar like this being made a long time ago? By you?
  20. Adiktuz

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah, he's right! You can create a custom hero by hitting the New Custom Unit button and then choose an existing hero and not just by selecting a hero then copy paste

Also using the New Custom Unit button lets you change the hero name (not proper name!) before creating the unit while if you copy paste you should change the name directly in the unit property.

I think this is also the same way that Squiggy and TheCheat is saying.

PS: For those who don't know what proper names are here's an example:
    Hero Name: Lich
    Proper Name: Kel'Thuzad