• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Upcoming changes to skills and character models & new abilities

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Will the new stat system be part of the update with the new models or will it come later with the new content?

A preview on the portraits. Thief and Ranger will use the base armor texture instead of naked skin as soon as its done.

I've also remastered the female skin texture and added a lot more detail.

Attachments

• portraits.jpg
    portraits.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 175
  • textureremastered.jpg
    textureremastered.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 1,202
Squire portrait done.

139997d1412793642-upcoming-changes-skills-character-models-new-abilities-squireportrait.jpg

That means all 5 hero models are completed with both portrait and unit model. Next week, I'll start creating the armor textures and doing ingame tests of the new models and texture swapping approach.

As a bonus for all your patience with the new release, I'm open for any suggestions for armor texture designs.

So you guys can feel free to post some cool fantasy style armor designs as inspiration for me to work with! Everyone reading this thread is allowed to post one female (must have a leather-feel to it) and one male (must have a cloth feel to it) armor design you'd like to see implemented into the game! I will do my best to design a texture that is heavily inspired by your submission!

The style should fit into a high-fantasy setting. Also, if you submit an example, please make sure the picture:
1) also includes the lower body design (so that I don't have to think about how the legs should be designed)
2) is properly shaded. The more visible details, the better! Sketches usually leave too much room for interpretation, so please avoid those. The better a drawing or picture is shaded, the easier it is for me to pick colors.

Examples:
daggers_by_anndr-d3gos5g.jpg
Sorcerer_Final_by_MrCreedy.jpg

Attachments

• SquirePortrait.jpg
    SquirePortrait.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 332
Last edited:

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
Glad you liked it and I agree about the xxx thing, which is kinda depressing.

And here is the male one. It looks dark, so perhaps necro set, but I don't mind if its monk or bishop focused. A dark monk/bishop is good for variety anyway. I hope we won't be able to see the skin of the arm like on the picture, but otherwise it looks good enough.
BrokenBlades-Roubris.jpg

@ Jumbo: Looks like a monk armor to me. Nice find! Though it probably won't be an "epic" item, but that's imho desirable, as there's lots of armor skins needed for lower level armors and it's hard to find pictures of that on the interwebs.

@Box: ahh... the classy chainmail bikini look. There's gonna be at least one and I'm okay with that. ;)

Level 7
I didn't find it to be entirely too slutty :p. Theres some much worse ones obviously xD.

aion-ranger-class1.jpg
(That part over her shoulder on the left is her BOW, so its not part of the armor skin).

aion-E50-08.jpg

This is what most end game Aion leather looks like.. With tons of spikey looking things sticking out all over the place.

4-0_balic_leather_fabled01_f.jpg

And one last one :p. I guess it looks somewhat chainish but Im sure you could texture it down to look more leathery.

Level 3
I kind of like the Demon hunter armor from D3

9C5SOH9J525Y1336590101266.JPG

And you could perhaps make a reference to the Magica game with this, although that would also include a hat.
wiz1.jpg

Level 7
One thing about mage armor that Im unsure about is that I feel how it looks will come down to how the hat looks. Though perhaps if we're getting more than just a cape like it was previously, this could change :p. Everything on magician characters looked awful with those simple gray robes! Only the nice big hats saved it :p.

Level 3
The obvious one for any monk

monk.jpg

or on a more serious note, did someone say mandatory kung fu dude for monks?

dao-of-strength-300x300.jpg

If a topless monk looks like an idiot or can't be done, then I guess this picture won't help at all. But those pants look super comfortable and perfect for all of the monks monsterbashing needs. It also doesn't involve the amount of detail from other pictures, and I guess its kind of a monk thing that they might want to be humble and not so flashy.

Level 7
@Box: Errr... I don't think that's the type of style we are looking for... Looks too much power-ranger-esque to me. Also, they don't look like leather armor to me, more like plate or mail armor.

@Shamu: I should have seen that coming. ;)

Fair enough :3. Perhaps I was intrigued with more options for colors on armors rather than the earthly tones that every armor seems to take :p.

Fair enough :3. Perhaps I was intrigued with more options for colors on armors rather than the earthly tones that every armor seems to take :p.
I don't think colors automaticly add into this... more like the style itself that is the problem.

As an example, I like this one, preferably as a bard armor:
LRFFXIII_Heart_Stealer.png

or that, with a little bit of fur/hide look:
Esaya_02.1.jpg

This is also cool with the colors, but not over the top:
PathfinderElf.jpg

Also, a cool and more unique design for a sorcerer:
FullyClothedHumanWarlock.jpg

Level 4
Some sorc/necro ideas

some cool ideas i found, about the diablo wizard one, i know is kind of out of place, i just love that firebird set on my wiz xD but i tough maybe u could get some ideas out of it at least

Attachments

• 16638_1031630400.jpg
    16638_1031630400.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 1,536
  • es5s-mage-robe.jpg
    es5s-mage-robe.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 267
  • firebirds-finery01.jpg
    firebirds-finery01.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 256
  • Mage.jpg
    Mage.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 309
Level 1
bishop talent bug:20% reduced Mana cost of 'Heal' and 'Flash of Light' spells.it only reduces mana cost on spell introduction ,but when you use spells it doesn't work.

Unfortunately, I didn't have a lot of time lately. Painting armors is actually a very time consuming process. I'm currently thinking about changing my plans to only provide a few selectable skins for each class (and keep the current armor models in the game).

But from my tests so far, the hair color thing is awesome and is definitely here to stay.

is that just going to be the basic, no armor texture?
Yes, though I haven't decided yet what my ultimate approach to texture swapping will be, as I have mixed feelings about this now.

There's basicly two general ideas in my head:

1) I can go for the idea I initially had and make a dedicated texture for every armor model and remove the armor models completely

2) I make a number of selectable skins that the player can choose from for customization (and maybe some more epic skins can be unlocked later) and keep the current armor models

3) I only make 3 skins per hero and use them to swap textures when switching classes (in other words: necromancers have a different base skin than sorcerers)

--------------------------

1) is probably the coolest idea, but it's also the most time consuming one. I'd need to make at least 20-25 textures to keep the current amount of visual diversity in the game the same.

2) Is kind of an escape route ... it allows me to add more skins over time without the need to have a huge selection right at the beginning... but it also kind of sucks as now the armors basicly cover all the work I put into this.

3) The last straw imho. This is basicly the "okay, I give up" solution. As I'm quite pleased with my first texturing attempt, I feel this would be wasted potential.

Looking back, I didn't invest *that* much time into making this texture. Maybe like 5-6 hours? I think future textures will be done much faster than my first. But considering the total lack of time I have, even 5 hours is a lot.

I don't know... first, I got to fix the boots, then make the basic texture for the cloth users. Let's see how long it takes to do that. Maybe I'll get the hang of this texturing thing.

Level 4
Remove armor models? does that mean no matter what armor we equip our appearance dont change? if the answer is yes then i dont want that:)
I prefer every armor to have its own look.

Level 17
Remove armor models? does that mean no matter what armor we equip our appearance dont change? if the answer is yes then i dont want that:)
well, he removes the armor models imported into the game. instead of that, he gives each hero a custom texture overlay that looks like an armor depending on your item. and of course every armor has a different texture (well not every)

Ah, no, that's not what I mean.

Instead of a different armor model, you will have a different body texture depending on the armor you are using. This will also only apply to the cloth and leather wearers.
The Squire model will get managed in a different way, to keep the filesize lower: It will share the same textures as the cloth wearers, but will keep the current attachment models on top of that. Creating a new set of mail only textures just for one hero would be too much work and also increase the file size of the game too much. I also felt that the armor models looked great on Squires anyway, so there was nothing to "fix" here.

So in the end, every class will benefit from this:
1) Squires will get more optical diversity through combined attachment models and texture swaps
2) Rangers and Thieves will look more agile with texture based armors instead of the blocky attachment models they currently have
3) Magician and Cleric will now actually wear visible armor, instead of just cape/shoulderpads only

Level 3
I admire your developments generally , but i have some remarks regarding the Crusader's spells . I think his spells (current ones) are way too dependent on intelligence and don't really show his true role as a tank , and i think he should have some spells that buff his armor/hp for example or something that depends on his armor/hp/strength . For instance , Berserker is the damage dealer and his spells emphasize that so i think this should be reflected on the Crusader as a Tank . In addition , What about the map developments ... any new quests/areas/bosses ?
I really like this game and hope you put your best into to it.
Good on you , Zwiebelchen

SHBlade

Hosted Project GR
Level 14
I admire your developments generally , but i have some remarks regarding the Crusader's spells . I think his spells (current ones) are way too dependent on intelligence and don't really show his true role as a tank , and i think he should have some spells that buff his armor/hp for example or something that depends on his armor/hp/strength . For instance , Berserker is the damage dealer and his spells emphasize that so i think this should be reflected on the Crusader as a Tank . In addition , What about the map developments ... any new quests/areas/bosses ?
Read forum carefully and u will find out what is going to be added/changed ;)

Level 17

isnt he tanky enough? he has heavy armor and can wear a shield. he also got a talent tree that makes him even more tanky. he needs those damage abilities, otherwise he wouldnt be able to hold aggro.

Level 4
isnt he tanky enough? he has heavy armor and can wear a shield. he also got a talent tree that makes him even more tanky. he needs those damage abilities, otherwise he wouldnt be able to hold aggro.

i dont remember for the past, but nowadays i tend to like your comments :)

Level 4

Consider the simple fact that the class name is Crusader. Spells are part of his abilities.
Skills are being made all the time and maybe such skills will come in the future (if not already).
Your way of thinking kills any diversity Zwieb is trying to create. If im not wrong we try to avoid the holy trinity in gaias (Tank/DD/Healer) and make it more complex. If it was to stick to holy trinity then there would be no reason to create diversity in the first place, we would have only 3 classes without skill trees or whatever. One dd, one healer one tank. how many ppl would play that ? i think none.

Consider the simple fact that the class name is Crusader. Spells are part of his abilities.
Skills are being made all the time and maybe such skills will come in the future (if not already).
Your way of thinking kills any diversity Zwieb is trying to create. If im not wrong we try to avoid the holy trinity in gaias (Tank/DD/Healer) and make it more complex. If it was to stick to holy trinity then there would be no reason to create diversity in the first place, we would have only 3 classes without skill trees or whatever. One dd, one healer one tank. how many ppl would play that ? i think none.
I dont necessarily agree with the holy trinity thing. I think of the tank//DD//healer split as a generally a good idea to make a game more tactical. I tried to make it a bit more complex by adding true support classes to the game but it still is the trinity system at the core. And imho thats not a bad thing as it makes class choices matter more.

On topic: i think i will go for the selectable skin idea temporary for the next update and not remove the armor models... for now. I figured i waste too much time on this texture making and want to work on content again for a change. I bet you guys agree on this. So the next mini update will have 2-3 selectable skins per base class, the hair color thing and the much needed bugfixes. I will make more textures later...

SHBlade

Hosted Project GR
Level 14
On topic: i think i will go for the selectable skin idea temporary for the next update and not remove the armor models... for now. I figured i waste too much time on this texture making and want to work on content again for a change. I bet you guys agree on this. So the next mini update will have 2-3 selectable skins per base class, the hair color thing and the much needed bugfixes. I will make more textures later...
Well, fine for me :D

Status
Not open for further replies.