[Log in / Register]
| News | Chat | Pastebin | Donations | Tutorials | Rules | Forums |
| Maps | Skins | Icons | Models | Spells | Tools | Jass | Packs | Hosted Projects | Starcraft II Modding | Starcraft II Resources | Galaxy Wiki |
(Keeps Hive Alive)
Go Back   The Hive Workshop > Town Hall > The Arena > Contest Archive

Contest Archive All successfully completed contests are archived in this forum.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered User bowser499
Wizard of the Koopas

bowser499 is a jewel in the rough (258)bowser499 is a jewel in the rough (258)bowser499 is a jewel in the rough (258)bowser499 is a jewel in the rough (258)
Solo Mini-Mapping Contest #7

Boss Fight
Contestants must create a map with a tough boss that must be killed in 'phase-by-phase' style one by another.

• No submission may violate any of the site rules.
    • If a submission does not follow the map submission rules the creator will be disqualified.
    • All submissions must follow the current theme. If any model does not fit, a moderator will tell you as soon as possible as to avoid confusion.
    • Your submission must be posted before the deadline. The post containing your final submission must also contain the following:
      • Several screenshots of terrain and gameplay.
      • The file in the appropriate format.
    • You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that its yours.
    • Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
    • Judges may not participate.
    • Your final submission must be bug free.
    • Teamwork is not allowed.
      • Finding testers and voice actors to help you with your submission is not considered teamwork.
    • Imports may be used in the map, however they must all be credited.
    • All multiplayer maps must be under 8mb.

• First Place: 45 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
  • Second Place: 35 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 25 reputation points and an award icon

• bowser499
  • Remixer
Checking FieldExplanationPoints
Originality:Map must be original, a simple copy of another map might get less points for the gameplay and originality, but if the terrain and everything are fine, then you would still have some points. We want to see unique things and cool ideas.You can score up to 15 points here.
Map Presentation/Design:Author name, map name, category, type, description, links ingame on loading screen, messages ingame are very important.
How good the map preview or the loading screen image are, check tooltips, quest menu, icons all around (hero/unit stats, interface, tooltips etc).
Same colored icons and spell effects as well as models (like green for poison hero) are better than random ones.
Passive icons on active ones or vice versa are bad.
Check UI and game constants as well.
You can score up to 10 points here.
Terrain:Please take care, some maps use a generated terrain (created with triggers), thus the preview image may show an empty map.
Negative things are empty, plain, single-tile terrains, without environmental doodads or any kind of terrain style.
Good things are special effect doodads (to make the terrain a little animated), lighting, fog, terrain styles or custom resources.
You can score up to 25 points here.
Triggers/Efficiency/Performance:Bugs, errors and performance issues will reduce your score. (Everything created with triggers is usually the case) However if there are just small bugs/errors, then you probably won't get a lower score.
Memory leaks are the main problem, systems and spells should be more or less lag-free/errorless.
Even protected maps can show how good the user's triggering skills are, for example check if there are any performance issues when units are spawned.
Object Data:Units' size ingame, selection size, how good creeps look like. (small skeleton with sword, normal with bow and another one with axe is better than ogre, gnoll and murloc -> Creeps should not be completely random and very different from each other).
In other words check how good abilities and stats fit to units.
Maps with a huge file size are horrible, no one will wait 2 minutes long to download a map on battle.net. (unless single player)
That's why we need to check imported resources.
MP3 files can be edited, the quality can be reduced and thus a lot of space can be saved, simple effect sounds without voice can be reduced even to 32 kbps in some cases, for voices don't go below 50.
Maps with a file size of 8MB and only 1 sound effect/music file are not acceptable. Also check if only a part of a song is used and if it has been cropped.
Same thing goes for textures, if you can reduce the quality from 100-75% and thus the size will go down from 40-70% in some cases.
Gameplay:The gameplay is the main aspect of the map. Game modes, game difficulties, special events, systems(not how well they are made, but if they make the map more fun) etc.
Everything else that is left unchecked can go here. Please check how balanced the gameplay is, check how long the game lasts, if the map can be finished without any major problems.
You can score up to 30 points here.
  • 65 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 35 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
  • The contest shall begin on 6th of May, 2012 and conclude on 27th of May, 2012 7th of June, 2012, GMT

[ myBoard ]
[ Click it please! | Mini Game Mapping Contest #8! | The Dawn of OaD ]

Last edited by bowser499; 05-25-2012 at 09:27 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered User Vengeancekael
Hi!

Vengeancekael has a reputation beyond repute (2121)Vengeancekael has a reputation beyond repute (2121)Vengeancekael has a reputation beyond repute (2121)
Merit Badge: Level 1: Community's Excellence: Reflects ideal social skills and a bonding power that would bring peace even among the Horde and the Alliance. Former Staff Member: This user used to be on the Hive Workshop staff. User of the Year: 2012 
Sure, but I say make it minimum 1 boss and only 2 weeks time.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered User PROXY
Demons run.

PROXY has much of which to be proud (1129)PROXY has much of which to be proud (1129)PROXY has much of which to be proud (1129)PROXY has much of which to be proud (1129)PROXY has much of which to be proud (1129)PROXY has much of which to be proud (1129)
Good idea, I might enter in that one. It might happen that I finish my entry in a contest again in a long time ^_^

Old 04-03-2012, 04:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered User Aeroblyctos
Mighty Map Maker

Aeroblyctos has much of which to be proud (998)Aeroblyctos has much of which to be proud (998)Aeroblyctos has much of which to be proud (998)Aeroblyctos has much of which to be proud (998)Aeroblyctos has much of which to be proud (998)Aeroblyctos has much of which to be proud (998)
Melee Tournament #1 - Winner:  
I would join, but maybe 3 bosses is too much. Why not just 1 boss?
Old 04-03-2012, 04:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wizard of the Koopas

bowser499 is a jewel in the rough (258)bowser499 is a jewel in the rough (258)bowser499 is a jewel in the rough (258)bowser499 is a jewel in the rough (258)
Hmm, okay, A boss.

[ myBoard ]
Old 04-03-2012, 10:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Global Moderator Pharaoh_
Stormscreamer

Pharaoh_ has been here far too long (3118)Pharaoh_ has been here far too long (3118)Pharaoh_ has been here far too long (3118)Pharaoh_ has been here far too long (3118)Pharaoh_ has been here far too long (3118)Pharaoh_ has been here far too long (3118)
Merit Badge - Level 0: This user has proven to be extremely valuable to the Warcraft III Modding Community. User of the Year: 2011 Short Story Contest #6 - Winner: When Death Reflects Life Voice Acting Contest #2 - Winner: Dark Angel 
Interesting..
Old 04-05-2012, 02:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered User part207
part of something bigger.

part207 has little to show at this moment (12)part207 has little to show at this moment (12)
about how long will this contest last? if its a 1 week deal ide be less interested than a 1 month contest.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
Wizard of the Koopas

I think 2.5 weeks will be enough.

[ myBoard ]
Old 04-08-2012, 07:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered User DeathChef
All under hoof

DeathChef has disabled reputation
Mini-Game Contest #7 - Winner: Obtained via the Reeeewind Event Contest, which was aimed to reproduce an older contest. DeathChef's reminiscence allowed him to create the most appealing entry! 
Change the last rule to say to limit the map size to 8 mb instead of 4 for multiplayer maps. I suggest keeping the recommended file size as 2 mb though..
Eevee: i guess shane will never win the game stuck with adam for life
Dashie: the infinite loop is real
Old 04-09-2012, 05:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered User part207
part of something bigger.

part207 has little to show at this moment (12)part207 has little to show at this moment (12)
2.5 sounds good. odds are i will be in when this is finalized. as a judge or as a participant. all depends on time
Old 04-10-2012, 03:32 AM   #11 (permalink)
Wizard of the Koopas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathChef View Post
Change the last rule to say to limit the map size to 8 mb instead of 4 for multiplayer maps. I suggest keeping the recommended file size as 2 mb though..
Done, fixed.

[ myBoard ]
Old 04-12-2012, 03:50 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered User Crazed_seal2
Alone? Perfect >:D

Crazed_seal2 is a jewel in the rough (178)
Seems legit
Old 04-16-2012, 01:40 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered User mckill2009
SSJ99999 Pinoy!

mckill2009 is a splendid one to behold (942)mckill2009 is a splendid one to behold (942)mckill2009 is a splendid one to behold (942)mckill2009 is a splendid one to behold (942)
I love boss fights and I think 1 boss is enough so that the creator will focus all his ideas to it, mini-bosses maybe included as well...
But seems like the judges are inactive these days, maybe coz of school or WC3 is nearly dead?, I hope not...

I believe in miracles as I've seen them all come true
Old 04-18-2012, 09:32 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered User Crazed_seal2
Alone? Perfect >:D

Crazed_seal2 is a jewel in the rough (178)
Change it to Dungeon. May be better, allows much more room.

Something along the lines of, Heroes have to fight their way through the dungeon killing everything in their path...
Old 04-18-2012, 09:36 AM   #15 (permalink)
Forum Moderator -Kobas-
★ SotP Project Leader ★

Resource Moderator

-Kobas- has a reputation beyond repute (2309)-Kobas- has a reputation beyond repute (2309)-Kobas- has a reputation beyond repute (2309)-Kobas- has a reputation beyond repute (2309)-Kobas- has a reputation beyond repute (2309)
Hero Contest #6 - Winner: Alora, the Priestess of Moonlight was found to be the most succesful defender against the Armies of the Burning Legion! A hero by -Kobas-. Hero Contest #5 - Winner: Stormbringer was -Kobas-'s entry, who incorporated lightnings as the power of future weaponry. Despite the instability of lightnings, this entry was stable enough to be approved by judges and public. A hero by -Kobas-. Mini-Game Mapping Contest #4: -Kobas- has won the fourth edition of The Hive Workshop's Mini-Game Mapping Contest with his entry: "Hunted". Check out the Arena if you want to participate on competitions as well! 
I'm in I have awesome ideas, and I have "special resources" hehehehe.
And it will be single player ofc.

Shadows of the Past v0.9.3.0
Check it out -> ★ Shadows of the Past ★

SotP History Video

Offence of the Gods v1.0.0.0
Check it out -> ★ Offence of the Gods ★

New Project