• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Battle.net Warcraft III won't start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
Well, here's the issue I'm having. I just installed Warcraft III + TFT, it loads fine, I can play one player maps fine and the campaign fine, but when I click Battle.net it just sits there trying to connect, and then when I try to cancel after minutes of no luck (I have a powerful internet connection and it works fine on my old laptop so that's not the issue) it freezes and I have to cntrl alt delete WC3. I've tried reinstalling, that didn't work. What am I doing wrong?

Level 14
Did you download the patch and tested if it worked first?

Blizzard BNUpdate v2.133 compiled on Aug 14 2008
Log created at 11:17 pm on 05/11/2015

This patch upgrades Warcraft III Reign of Chaos from the previous version.

ERROR: unable to apply patch to file 'Abilities\Spells\Items\AIsp\SpeedTarget.mdx'

RESULT: Patch failed

I can't even patch it, what the hell.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Try running the stand alone patcher as an administrator. Since it needs to change program files it might need the elevated permission.

Try re-installing the game, it is possible that a previous automatic patch attempt which failed corrupted the game installation.

This patch upgrades Warcraft III Reign of Chaos from the previous version.
Remember to use the TFT update not RoC. RoC update is for RoC stand alone installations (not TFT).

Level 14
Try running the stand alone patcher as an administrator. Since it needs to change program files it might need the elevated permission.

Try re-installing the game, it is possible that a previous automatic patch attempt which failed corrupted the game installation.

Remember to use the TFT update not RoC. RoC update is for RoC stand alone installations (not TFT).

I've tried reinstalling the game, it doesn't work. The TFT patch worked however. Sadly B.Net still won't start

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
The game must say it is version "1.26.0.6401". Anything else and you need to patch still.

For BattleNet make sure that you added WC3 to your firewall exceptions. Many firewall programs will produce a popup when WC3 first tries to use the internet. Since WC3 is full screen this can cause a conflict situation where the process is blocked waiting for the popup to be answered while the popup is hidden by the process being full screen (and stalled).

Open up the firewall program and then add the WC3 process to it in a way that it has full internet access. Consult your firewall user documentation as to how to do this since there is no standardized way and it varies from version to version of the firewall.

Level 14
The game must say it is version "1.26.0.6401". Anything else and you need to patch still.

For BattleNet make sure that you added WC3 to your firewall exceptions. Many firewall programs will produce a popup when WC3 first tries to use the internet. Since WC3 is full screen this can cause a conflict situation where the process is blocked waiting for the popup to be answered while the popup is hidden by the process being full screen (and stalled).

Open up the firewall program and then add the WC3 process to it in a way that it has full internet access. Consult your firewall user documentation as to how to do this since there is no standardized way and it varies from version to version of the firewall.

The patch number says that, and I've allowed it through my firewall, I'm also running the program as administrator. It still won't connect to B.net. It'll sit there, and then when I try to cancel it it'll just stall there and I have to cntrl alt delete out.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Can other computers sharing the same internet connection connect? Some ISPs block such traffic. Stalling like it does would either be a socket error or a block waiting for connection. What is unusual is blocking waiting for connection should only last 30-60 seconds at most.

Level 14
Can other computers sharing the same internet connection connect? Some ISPs block such traffic. Stalling like it does would either be a socket error or a block waiting for connection. What is unusual is blocking waiting for connection should only last 30-60 seconds at most.

One of my laptops can connect on the internet and play just fine, my other laptop and my new desktop both have this problem that I'm currently experiencing.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Maybe it is something with your router? For example the NAT might not be directing return traffic to your computer correctly. This would explain the long hang, as you send packets correctly but the responses are being blocked by the NAT.

Additionally if you use wireless you could have impossibly high packet loss. That seems unlikely though.

Level 14
Maybe it is something with your router? For example the NAT might not be directing return traffic to your computer correctly. This would explain the long hang, as you send packets correctly but the responses are being blocked by the NAT.

Additionally if you use wireless you could have impossibly high packet loss. That seems unlikely though.

I doubt it's my router because it works just fine on one of my laptops, but on my other laptop and my desktop it isn't working.

Status
Not open for further replies.