• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Techtree Contest #9 - Biome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 238589

D

Deleted member 238589

The Amani

238589-albums7653-picture89646.bmp

Slave
A simple worker of the Amani troops. They tend to used their murloc slaves, instead of their men, to do the hard work.
Spearman
A basic melee unit.
More information will be available soon
Axethrower
A basic ranged unit. Good against air units.
Raptor Rider
Highly mobile reptile rider. Very effective at scouting.
Hawk Priest
Primary spellcaster. Has unique healing, as well as various other abilities.
Hexer
A spellcaster specialized in disrupting combat and supporting other friendly units.

Level 21
@JokeMaster
Yeah and it isn't a dream either. It actually started.

@Ragnaros
Well before whole Gilineas thing Worgen (and even then they got relocated to Kalimdor forest) were mostly in forests, right? Though I would try to aim more at feral side and reduce the britishness.

Level 14
Will it cause problems if we set Scenario/Map Properties/Map Options/Game Data to "Latest Patch"? I just realized that it's not under the official list of editable aspects and I have changed it to be up-to-date with the current game.

WIP should be posted soon. I'm nearly done establishing basic functionality (no balance work yet).

//\\o0//\\

Edit:
Also, do I understand the rules correctly in that I can't make a resource for use in this contest? I don't have access to any score-screen icons for my heroes that are appropriately sized... which is a negative...

Last edited:
Level 21
Will it cause problems if we set Scenario/Map Properties/Map Options/Game Data to "Latest Patch"? I just realized that it's not under the official list of editable aspects and I have changed it to be up-to-date with the current game.

WIP should be posted soon. I'm nearly done establishing basic functionality (no balance work yet).

//\\o0//\\

Edit:
Also, do I understand the rules correctly in that I can't make a resource for use in this contest? I don't have access to any score-screen icons for my heroes that are appropriately sized... which is a negative...

Well isn't basically the only thing that we can't edit terrain and melee races? Think that setting map to be up-to-date should be mandatory.

Hope it isn't forbidden, far to many units lack icons for example. As far as I know no contest before had that rule and this one only has:

Any library or system in the resource database at the time of contest creation may be used in the development of your race (this rule is also extended for the prototype Custom Race System (see: Helpful Links) in the current form submitted to the database.

So I guess only libraries (what is this actually?) and systems that were made after contest start and are submitted to the database aren't allowed. Nothing there about making resources for yourself. Also maybe I am biased but I find hives Custom Race System easier to implement even though it still is marked "need fix".

Level 25
Can u change the date to 1 of december Ive got an assesment in October and have no time to do that ?
If u agree with me I will join and create the Emerald Nightmare race

Well, that will be a long time. It will be a very long extension and finished ones will wait for so long. If you have an assesment then see you in the next techtree contest. Emerald Nightmare is interesting anyway.

Level 21
Extensions won't be granted for just one man. If necessary extension will be added near the end of the dead line if to many people aren't able to finish. It will be for moderators to decide.

As for next contest someone must make submission after this one has ended. Preferably a thread to decide potential themes and then poll to vote.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Then can I be a judge Pharaoh and can u create a new tech tree contest after this is finish without biome. But race and faction must be from Warcraft Lore ?

As for next contest someone must make submission after this one has ended. Preferably a thread to decide potential themes and then poll to vote.
That's a very good point, and something that, surprisingly, has fallen by the way-side for certain Contests in the last few years (esp. Hero & Techtree). Will have to write more on this in the future.

Level 14
That's a very good point, and something that, surprisingly, has fallen by the way-side for certain Contests in the last few years (esp. Hero & Techtree). Will have to write more on this in the future.

Shouldn't we establish judges for this contest before planning the next? Pharaoh has a "?" at the end of his judge-status..

//\\o0//\\

Level 21
Shouldn't we establish judges for this contest before planning the next? Pharaoh has a "?" at the end of his judge-status..

//\\o0//\\

Um you are right that is bigger priority. I kinda am out of loop about who is active on hive anymore and who is willing and capable to judge. Maybe GhostThruster as he has history of judging these contests (there is really a lack of judges for this contest though in general). Also according to rules only Moderators can select judges and contest host (I guess by this point Kyrib0?). Not that they won't mind help in search.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45

//\\o0//\\
Meh... It's important, but planning can begin whenever.

Um you are right that is bigger priority. I kinda am out of loop about who is active on hive anymore and who is willing and capable to judge. Maybe GhostThruster as he has history of judging these contests (there is really a lack of judges for this contest though in general). Also according to rules only Moderators can select judges and contest host (I guess by this point Kyrib0?). Not that they won't mind help in search.
Lol, not me! :p

Yeah, usually people offer there services. Kinda hard to figure out who's the best fit.

Level 30
If you need a judge, I can help. I've judged TC6 (yes, the one where Wazzz turned the whole thing upside down because he was last, and where I lost my edge and decided to nullify my judging) and several other contests - though if you do think that I need to prove myself for qualification as a judge, I can re-judge one of any older submissions in order to prove that I am capable of doing it. After all, TC6 was long time ago and I've improved, both in mapmaking and in reviewing.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
If you need a judge, I can help. I've judged TC6 (yes, the one where Wazzz turned the whole thing upside down because he was last, and where I lost my edge and decided to nullify my judging) and several other contests - though if you do think that I need to prove myself for qualification as a judge, I can re-judge one of any older submissions in order to prove that I am capable of doing it. After all, TC6 was long time ago and I've improved, both in mapmaking and in reviewing.
I don't think anyone doubts your ability, Lady Hive. : )

Seriously, though, what exactly went down for TC6?? I don't think I was around/paying attention, but people reference it...

Level 30
Wazzz blamed for me being biased and stating that my scoring wasn't justified enough. Same time I decided to blacklist from judging contests (decided to return now). Though he was right in a way, he overreacted, and completely neglected the facts that it was the first TC I've ever judged and that I was the only person who dedicated her time (bear and note the fact that I was quite ill at the time due to breast cancer) and will to judge it, where no one wanted to do it for a long time.

Now, to get on topic, I certainly won't participate. Thought I got time but in fact I don't.

Level 16
Seriously who cares about wazz? He is one of the most rude users on the site, behaving like a rich 5 year old. argueing with everyone bout everything. I don't mind Apheraz judgements i think they were fair in the previous contest.

I'm really bad at melee and haven't played much of it, so my techtree will probably be pretty bad... but I'm going to try, because I wanna join some contest, and also for fun I guess :p

Big tip is to never give DD abilities to units. Only heroes should have them. The only units that have them are in very specific circumstances.

Dragonhawk shackles = only against air
Faerie Dragon Mana thing = only against a caster who casts a spell

Both render the caster unable to attack and quite vulnerable.

Level 2
Thanks for the tips, I will look at tutorials now :p

Anyway, I think I have an idea of what I want to do. Some sort of an ancient sand magus empire that is now fallen, or something along those lines.
I might have gotten a little bit of inspiration from the recent Shurima event in LoL... :p

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
You can avoid anything you want - like in one TC6, where the whole race was made from buildings. However, do keep in mind how that will affect balance and fit other melee races.
We might disagree, then, in terms of the phrase "balanced qualitatively and quantitatively with the original 4 races"... In fact, this was a major source of discussion in the original discussion topic, and one I'd like to continue (just not in/derailing this thread :p).

Level 21
Different schools of tech making. One will suggest you to stick to the around 12 units (or in case of Kyrib0 exactly 12) and in generally aim to make warcraft 3 gameplay race. I am in this group by the way.

Other path is to not think inside the box and have no limits besides the ones you set yourself. This is much harder to make and balance but result will be more interesting.
We might disagree, then, in terms of the phrase "balanced qualitatively and quantitatively with the original 4 races"... In fact, this was a major source of discussion in the original discussion topic, and one I'd like to continue (just not in/derailing this thread :p).

Will just remind you that in the end Pharaoh said there will be no forcing of limits. And as I said at beginning of the contest I find it very ironic he included "balanced qualitatively and quantitatively with the original 4 races".

Will just remind you that in the end Pharaoh said there will be no forcing of limits. And as I said at beginning of the contest I find it very ironic he included "balanced qualitatively and quantitatively with the original 4 races".

No limitations doesn't pertain to lack of balance. It gives you the responsibility to create a race on your own terms, but at the same time it must make sense. It can't be more powerful than the default races, neither can it be weaker. Sure it's more difficult to handle, but this is where you manifest your experience and deep understanding of what you're doing. If you feel uncomfortable with it, yes, you can adhere to the basic number of units introduced by the game itself.

Level 21
Ok so before I forget I'll post my WIP, sorry about lack of lovely text.

I present my Desert Swarm. Basically my repesentation of Ahn'Quiraj with less intelligent insects (silithid) expendable fodder army and intelligent insect humanoids leading them (Quiraj). They will use Ruins Architecture with edited out water birth and death. Some features include:

-Units will hatch from eggs, time for unit to be ready will be split in to time to train an egg and time for an egg to hatch. Will take longer to get 1 unit compared to other races (because of two timers) but will be faster to get bigger army (you can train next egg while the finished egg starts hatching).
-Units regenerate only during the day.
-Some buildings will spread desert sand that benefits your troops and harm enemy. Think of it as undead blight (it won't replace blight).
-Upgrade for training units faster.

153782-albums907-picture90200.jpg
Worker:
Drone Worker (if I can't find more intelligent bug worker)
Primary Troops:
Scorpion (basic melee), Fire Scarab (ranged), Reaver (Crypt Mother model, advanced melee)
Casters:
Venomancer (organic magic), Sand Witch (Crypt Fiend Alpha/Sorceress texture, wind/sand magic), Corpse Harvester (Infestor model, uses corpses to summon various units/wards)
Various:
Stalker (defiler model, hit'n'run unit/building saboteur ), Impaler (lurker model, siege unit)
Flyers:
Hive Stinger(Crypt Drone model, light flyer), Mana Eater (Crypt Guard model, anti-magic unit), Corruptor (Heavy air unit)

No limitations doesn't pertain to lack of balance. It gives you the responsibility to create a race on your own terms, but at the same time it must make sense. It can't be more powerful than the default races, neither can it be weaker. Sure it's more difficult to handle, but this is where you manifest your experience and deep understanding of what you're doing. If you feel uncomfortable with it, yes, you can adhere to the basic number of units introduced by the game itself.

The point I was trying to make is that it can be interpreted differently since it specifies balanced quantitatively compared to warcraft 3 race which at least in my view means that limits should be equal or similar. Of course it is not true but unless you read the threads before contest was made reader could get wrong impression.

I have no problem about no limits but I myself prefer to keep to use them.

Level 18
Ok so before I forget I'll post my WIP, sorry about lack of lovely text.

I present my Desert Swarm. Basically my repesentation of Ahn'Quiraj with less intelligent insects (silithid) expendable fodder army and intelligent insect humanoids leading them (Quiraj). They will use Ruins Architecture with edited out water birth and death. Some features include:

-Units will hatch from eggs, time for unit to be ready will be split in to time to train an egg and time for an egg to hatch. Will take longer to get 1 unit compared to other races (because of two timers) but will be faster to get bigger army (you can train next egg while the finished egg starts hatching).
-Units regenerate only during the day.
-Some buildings will spread desert sand that benefits your troops and harm enemy. Think of it as undead blight (it won't replace blight).
-Upgrade for training units faster.

153782-albums907-picture90200.jpg
Worker:
Drone Worker (if I can't find more intelligent bug worker)
Primary Troops:
Scorpion (basic melee), Fire Scarab (ranged), Reaver (Crypt Mother model, advanced melee)
Casters:
Venomancer (organic magic), Sand Witch (Crypt Fiend Alpha/Sorceress texture, wind/sand magic), Corpse Harvester (Infestor model, uses corpses to summon various units/wards)
Various:
Stalker (defiler model, hit'n'run unit/building saboteur ), Impaler (lurker model, siege unit)
Flyers:
Hive Stinger(Crypt Drone model, light flyer), Mana Eater (Crypt Guard model, anti-magic unit), Corruptor (Heavy air unit)

The point I was trying to make is that it can be interpreted differently since it specifies balanced quantitatively compared to warcraft 3 race which at least in my view means that limits should be equal or similar. Of course it is not true but unless you read the threads before contest was made reader could get wrong impression.

I have no problem about no limits but I myself prefer to keep to use them.

This looks great its the Silithid\Qiraji but I don't any Qiraji ?
Here is a link for many nice WOW or WoW models some are rips some are not
Maybe make them only regenerate in blight and buildings create blight it fits more
Also I like Zerg like swarming race but the Silithid Drones create from Natural Materials or those are Qiraji structures

Level 21
This looks great its the Silithid\Qiraji but I don't any Qiraji ?
Here is a link for many nice WOW or WoW models some are rips some are not
Also I like Zerg like swarming race but the Silithid Drones create from Natural Materials or those are Qiraji structures

Well as I said race is called Desert Swarm, I just compared it to race existing in lore. There just aren't appropriate Quiraj models for proper Ahn'Quiraj race. I have no intention at all to use WoW models at all and thankfully you didn't actually post any link. Um if I understand last part correctly, I am using Quiraj-like structures only and not the silithid organic hives.

Level 21
Maybe make them only regenerate in blight and buildings create blight it fits more
Didn't see you added it. And well it would be boring to use same system as undead, I don't see why would I want blight for desert theme race and before you say anything no I won't edit blight to be sand as that would be editing existing race which is against rules.

Um again big no to WoW rips.

Level 25
@VeljkoM

My race looks a lot like yours :p

Will post WIP later.

Just gonna put it here, the gameplay will be a bit more complex and involve three different "strains":
* Predator Strain
* Lurker Strain
* Insectoid Strain

Premise being that units can morph into a strain gaining different stats (but only once). The change will be subtle but will offer more tactical aproach to what we have in normal WC3.

That being said this means the research and upgrade will have to be balanced around this idea, which is gonna be hard.
Thinking of making it building specific or per unit but gated, will see how it works out and if it's too strong.

But it's obviously inspired by the Zerg so might not get so much points for originality.

Edit:

Might scrap the idea for sake of originality.

Last edited:
Level 21
@Kingz
Something like Sc2 campaign zerg strains? I suppose predator offensive, lurker stealth/defense and insectoid spam/swarm/venom. Can't wait to see what you imagined. And honestly it is original for warcraft and you still have to successfully implement idea and to be punished for hard work seems odd to me. It breaks the monotony of the limited wc3 tactics.

And I'll try not use to many same models as you, as I am pretty sure drone would fit your race better for example.

Level 25
Here is my secondary idea:

Lords of Dust

An order of mages inflicted by the curse of petrification, by wanting to escape their death they escaped their physical forms and now walk the deserts.
Seeing as they are now made of sand/dust and ash they cannot regenerate so their only way of surviving is converting living and material things into dust and sand.

* Fraction fueled by sand and dust, special buildings convert harvested wood to gold which is converted to powder to fuel their form.
* Units don't regenerate, unit's steal the life force of their enemies only
* Unit's crumble on death, leaving no corpses
* Unit's live inside armors to protect their fragile form, some in mechanical and some in heavy armor, most of the units are thus fragile to magic attacks and contain the armor type of heavy
* Cannot expand, the main hall can however use abilities to shield itself and/or defend itself
* Furnaces burns lumber to provide ash as a form of sustanance
* Killed units are consumed for sustenance, leaving no corpse
* Heroes do not grow in stats, stats are gained as unit's die near them (with diminishing returns)

But yeah VeljkoM that was the basic idea.
Evolving a unit into a certain strain would just give it a passive ability (or an active one), like:
a) Predator Strain: 20% life steal
b) Lurker Strain: Burrow ability
c) Insectoid Strain: Infestation - Spawn 3 small locusts on death which last up to 20 seconds. Probably really weak stats just to provide cannon fodder and swarm enemies.

So not sure what to go with.

Level 30
@VeljkoM,
The hatch idea is neat, but it is kinda, well, not quite dandy to have the double spawn timer, since the units will be train in a two way fashion > 1. train an egg & 2. egg hatches into a unit, making this very easily countered by invading enemies that raid your city, or quick damage dealers. Perhaps, have you thought of an idea to remove the timer, but make eggs instant production standalone units with some sort of defensive mechanism, and to instead disable the building to produce while the egg is hatching (or adding a query to the building to produce, but it's in fact the time an egg will take to hatch).

@Kingz,
Be careful about the no-corpse thingy, since the Undead's specialty is based on usage of corpses (Galvanize, Meat Wagons, ...), and it could damage the balance idea with melee races. A good balancing idea would be to make some of the units affected by some sort of tech upgrade which would make them un-revivable. Also, the non-expandable building can cause troubles if you don't think very through the situations of it being taken down early, of harvesting other gold mines, or having defenseless harvest system that can't stand alone and could get destroyed quickly.

Level 21
@Kingz
Well Lords of Dust sound more creative but I guess harder to balance (not impossible of course). For example if they all have Heavy armor naturally they are vulnerable to magic, but magic attacks are kinda rare and direct damage spells are generally hero only. No expansion definitely makes life easier, but I guess they still have to migrate to harvest wood. Of course I can't judge something that I have yet to see.

I can't decide either, maybe just flip a coin?

@Apheraz Lucent
Killing egg would cause premature hatching of weaker version of unit and unsure yet how strong to make them (zerg eggs for example are really hard to kill). I should consider though turning off building while egg hatches. But at the moment I feel that egg system has use besides being different for sake of being different which is ability to train new egg while previous egg is hatching so it would be easier to spam units. Fits the idea of spammer race.

(Had to edit, didn't see your post)

Status
Not open for further replies.