• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Paired Modeling/Texturing Contest #1 - Poll

Vote for your favorite entry!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
the%20hive%20workshop.png

paired.png
modeling.png
texturing.png
contest.png
number.png
1.png

poll.png

img_4117_warcraft_undy_450x360.jpg
Warcraft Heroes
Contestants were to team up with one partner to form a team of one 3D modeler and one 2D Texture Artist. This team must create a custom model and texture working together. They must create a Warcraft Hero - a model that fits into the Warcraft 3 lore and can be used as a hero unit.

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png
  • Each user can only vote once in the poll.
  • You cannot vote for yourself. If a voter has the same IP as the author then the vote will not be counted and it may result in the disqualification of the entry.
  • You cannot create multiple accounts to vote for an entry in the poll. If a voter has been found to be using multiple accounts none of the voters votes will count in the final result.
  • You cannot bribe users for votes. Contestants who break this rule will be disqualified and given negative reputation.
prizes.png

• First Place: 50 reputation points and your entry on an award icon.
  • Second Place: 35 reputation points and an award icon.
  • Third Place: 20 reputation points and an award icon.

entries.png
judges.png
  • SuPa-
  • Infinitynexus
contest%20judging.png
60 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s)
  • Modeling Score shall be taken out of 50 points
    • 15 points for mesh (verticies and faces)
    • 10 points for animations (or how well Blizzard animations have been used)
    • 10 points for skin (how well it the texture UV mapped?)
    • 10 points for effects (appropriate use of particles, particle saturation, etc.)
    • 5 points for creativity.
  • Texturing Score shall be taken out of 50 points
    • 20 points for shading and highlights (consistent light source? does it look 3D? appropriate tactile "texture"?)
    • 10 points for Originality (has it been done before? Is it recognizable? Good concept?)
    • 20 points for detail (how defined is the skin? Is it blurry? Does it add depth and character to otherwise flat or bland parts of the mesh it is wrapped on?)
  • Overall Game Mechanics will be taken out of 10 points
    • 10 points for Game mechanics (does the model reference the skin correctly, are the animations or particle emitters glitchy? Are the animations smooth? Does the model crash the game? Can you (click) select it? Is the mesh "auto-shaded correctly"?, etc...)
  • Overall "Synergy" will be taken out of 10 points
    • 10 points for "Synergy" (do the texture and model fit together well? does the texture compliment the model and vice-versa, or do they look out of place? Creatively put together?)
    [*]40 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.[*]Final Score = (Judge's Score)*0.6 + (votes/(total votes))*40 = (score)/100
disclaimer.png
Inviting your friends to vote for you, bribing random members with rep and otherwise cheating with the VB poll system will get you DISQUALIFIED, BANNED from future contests, -REPPED, and possibly INFRACTED. So don't do it!

This includes, but is not limited to, sending PMs out to various users, getting other people to send those PMs, advertising this contest on other sites with the intention to gain more votes (whether it is explicitly stated or not), and so on. If you are suspected of cheating, the staff will notify you and interrogate you (hopefully) over PMs.​

Thanks to Debode for making this post for me :D

Last edited:
Level 12
Damn I wish that Dusty Chrome were able to finish their submission =/.

Anyway my vote goes to Green Quality because of their awesome work and great time management while doing so.

Level 49
Titania and idodik, if you would have bothered downloading the models, you'd have realized that the Death Mistress' animations aren't as good as they seem.

Titania, that's a very VERY VERY stupid way to vote. You voted for them BECAUSE THE MODEL IS FEMALE? I mean what the hell? So you're just gonna go with whatever has boobs? That's why some people think that it's best if polls are removed altogether, people like you have no artistic sense of quality whatsoever. :/

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

After looking at my favourites in Magos, I've concluded that the Elite Siege Tank is the most decent. The animations for the Death Mistress were disappointing, and so were the Pilgrim's. Those were my top three, and Green Quality won the vote.

Level 49
I decided to review the models to help me decide which model I should vote for. Please note that what was really important for me, a lot more than how well a model looks, was how well it would look in-game and how much it fits the lore, considering the theme is Warcraft Heroes.

General Frank's and M0rbid's Human Executioner:

General:

The first impression I had when I oppened the model was... What the hell is up with those eyes? Yeah... The eyes look very strange. He looks as though he just saw a ghost. But otherwise, nothing really caught my attention, except maybe for that hugeass axe on his back(that I later found out he can use in combat as well). The model doesn't makes much sense to me, considering it's supposed to be a Warcraft hero. I can't connect him to any group or force in Warcraft 3 lore. He could be an Argent Dawn member, judging by the color of his armor and his title, but you said nothing about it in the submission post nor did I notice the Argent Dawn's symbol or anything, anywhere.

Mesh:

The mesh seems to be edited from Arthas or the Blademaster, but looks very unique at the same time, except for the head which is obviously Arthas'. The head is for some reason facing upwards, like he's looking at the sky. The eyebrows seem to grow from his armor, too. The huge shoulderpads seem to be scratch made, and are a very nice touch. They're way too huge for my liking though, I'll get to that later. The weapons look very nice and unique. Overall, the mesh is nice looking. Nothing more to say here.

Animations:

You have used standard Blizzard animations, which is understandable and fine, especially for a humanoid model. The animations fit well. There are quite some flaws with them, however. In many animations and especially the Alternate ones, many parts of the model go through eachother, for example the hugeass axe and the shoulderpads(which is why I said I don't like them, they're way too big). This is not so minor when it's so visible - especially on Stand Ready Alternate. The Attack Walk Stand Spin animations seem to be bugged in Magos, thou I haven't tested in-game - the whirlwind seems to spin all over the place, presumably thanks to some Global Sequence considering the sequence duration itself is rather short. There is something very strange with the Alternate Walk animations. When he holds too small axes, he seems to walk heavily and slowly. When he holds this huge axe in one hand, he seems to literally sprint. He moves way too easily and with way too much agility for someone carrying a huge metal axe in one hand.

Skin:

Overall the skin is very nice. I don't have too much to point out. The teamcolored parts look bad... They're too bleak, shiny and bright, which contrasts the metal parts too much. The only teamcolors that work well that I've noticed were Black and Brown. Red teamcolor makes him look like he's wearing spiderman's outfit. I think it would have been a lot better if you added teamcolor on some of the metallic parts, for example the shoulderpads, the axe handles, and a few parts of the chest. The metallic parts look very, very nice though.

Team Pink Baloons' Bandit Berserker:

General:

Overall, the model design is not too detailed nor too lacking in detail. It looks just fine. There is nothing that terribly stands out in the model nor anything that looks extraordinary awesome(which means too awesome; so awesome it simply wont fit with the rest of the model, or the Warcraft 3 models), which is good. The model would make sense as a Bandit hero, but I feel you was very uninspired on the lore aspect. It feels as though as you made a random and generic knight or warrior rather than a bandit lord with a backtstory behind him. It feels like you was uninspired by the bandits in Warcraft, especially when it comes to the color scheme. I think it would have looked much better with the proper color scheme, for one - black and shiny metallic armor, dark-brown leather armor etc. It does seems like it wont be too out of place in WC3, though.

Mesh:

The mesh is simple and effective. It looks rather good. I like the helmet and the big mace, as well as the teamcolored tabard. The shoulderpads look fine and just in the right size. I feel it lacks something to define it as a 'hero', though - perhaps a cape, or an actual face behind the helmet(e.g., the helmet could have had a hole in the front or something, so we could see his face). I also like how the gloves are detailed, even though that would never be seen in-game.

Animations:

First of all, there are very few animations. Not enough for a hero. I sort of like the attack animations, but that's about it. You should have included some particles or something in the Spell animation, and perhaps come up with a few other spell animations. The stand ready animation is just lame. You should have changed his stance a bit from Stand to Stand Ready, at least move his shield to match how it looks like during Attack animations. Death is really, REALLY simple and... Well, sort of lame. There isn't any actual digital movement, he just... Falls back. He should have at least moved a bit while he was on his back, like try to stand up or breath his last breaths. Instead he just dies very, very quickly and immediately rises to the sky. Doesn't fits a hero very well in my opinion. The walk animation looks strange. It doesn't seems to fit any other animation on the model; I definitely imagine him as slowly walking, using the same stance as he has during Stand, as though as he is sneaking up(due to the heavy weight of the mace and his armor). The walk animation doesn't looks too realistic overall.

Skin:

I liked the skin. It's simple and effective and detailed enough for a Warcraft 3 model. The emblem on the shield is really nice. Not much more to say here.

Team Brazilian Force's Death Mistress:

General:

The first impression I got was that the model is way too detailed for Warcraft 3. There are so many details packed up in the model, it's literally hard to see what's going on. For example... The unnecessarily 3D chains(should have been alphaed out planes), the actual detailed fingers, the tiny skulls on her pelvis - and those are just a few. It doesn't looks very much like a Warcraft 3 model, and has a huge polycount. Looks more like something I'd see in WoW. The skull on her back is nice, because it characterizes her as a hero, like the paladin has a huge cape etc. But the details are simply an overkill.
I wouldn't have a hard time believing it's a Forsaken assassin under the service of Sylvanas, but not only did HappyCockroach not mention it anywhere at all, when I did ask him if that was their idea in the first place, and explained what the Forsaken are(which felt very unnecessary to me), he simply asked me: "Okay, what does that has to do with the model?". That leads me to believe that HappyCockroach and his teammate were completely uninspired by Warcraft and its lore. This is a great degrading factor for me personally. It's sad so few people are aware of\are interested in the Warcraft lore.

Mesh:

As I said, the mesh is overall way too detailed for a standard Warcraft 3 hero. It is nicely done but unnecessarily high-poly. It looks sleek like an assassin model should be. Not much more to say here.

Animations:

The animations were overall pretty good. I like stand ready - it looks quick and deadly. The idea for the death animation is just awesome. I love how badass she looks until it is revealed she's so ugly behind her mask. My primary concern was how weak the animations seemed - especially the attack animations. I totally expected her to strike swiftly and with great power, but when I look at the Attack animations, it looks like she gently sweeps her weapons in front of her. More than so, the scythe's attack sequence seems a little wrong. I'd imagine her slashing from top to down vertically, but instead it looks like she sorta... Sticks the tip at the enemy's shoulder, or something like that, which looks a lot less deadly considering she may very well has cut off her opponent's entire arm with one deadly and powerful slash. Overall, both attack animations and the Walk animation look very slow.

Skin:

The skin is pretty good, but like the mesh, it is way too detailed to my liking. Her skin color could have been a bit darker to fit the color of the Dark Ranger, as they seem to be of similar origin? It definitely looks like she might be a banshee who possessed her or someone else's dead corpse.

Team Obviously's Johanus Foul:

General:

First of all.. I have no idea how to identify the character. At first I thought it may have been a simple undead under the service of the Lich King... But then I realized it can morph into a demon; metamorphosis, an ability only demon hunters are said to possess. So an undead demon hunter? He seems way too armed and armored for that, not to mention not having the classical elven ears. The only thing I could think of is that the character is purely a creation of the artist, unrelated in no way, shape or form to warcraft lore. The colors don't make sense, either - what's that pink color supposed to be, leather armor? And teal\blue metal? I never saw something like that except in Runescape. So immediately, my impression was pretty bad.

Mesh:

The mesh looks basic, and yet strange in a way. It's good because it is simple, like it should be. But there are some things I found quite strange. He seems very thin; unmuscular. How can he hold such a heavy blade, in one hand? Not to mention he has some weird shoulderpad-like thing on his right arm, which would only make holding the blade ever more heavier. He has detailed fingers that would never be seen in-game, and there is a huge hole in the middle of his sword. His hood has some pretty annoying clipping issues. Other than that, it's pretty standard.

Animations:

The animations... Where to start... They're pretty terrible. :/ Attack 2 makes no sense whatsoever. He swings his blade upwards? What is that even supposed to mean? Attack 3 looks more standard luckily. The attack animations both seem pretty powerful and quick, which is good, but then again, he swings it so easily and quickly, especially before he slashes and while he just raises his sword in the air, it just makes no sense considering he's using only one hand(in attack 3 at least) and he seems so weak. Attack Slam looks rather decent, but why is he holding his sword in the air for so long? Attack Spell makes no sense whatsoever, and looks weird. Is he supposed to be stabbing? If so, I'd imagine him pulling his sword backwards to the side of his chest and then stabbing with full force, like a spear. He doesn't even moves his arms... Only his hands. Death looks pretty strange, but passable for me. His sword drops pretty awkwardly to be honest. Spell looks okay, although too quick. He bends over too quickly and finishes the whole motion very very fast. And that is also where I noticed the strangest part.. The glow is yellow. An undead overlord... Who can morph into a demon... Using HOLY magic? That makes absolutely no sense WHATSOEVER to me, honestly. Spell one is way too quick, and again, makes not a lot of sense. Spell Slam looks fine and good. He walks really strangely, why is he bending forward like so? The particles look really strange on Morph, when looking at them in Magos at least. During all or most of the alternate animations, the demon is bent over really strangely, he looks very unbalanced. His feet keep on moving back and forth on the ground. And he just... Disappears into a cloud of black dust in Walk? I mean... What the hell? If he is phasing in and out of existence, you should have at least made him sort of disappearing and re-appearing from time to time on Walk. It makes no sense to me. That's all I have to say about the animations.

Skin:

The skin looks fine, but the colors don't fit at all. Not only do they contrast terribly with eachother, they're also don't fit the theme of an undead overlord at all. The face looks allright-ish, though.

Team Number 1's Dwarf Monk Pilgrim:

General:

First of all, this is probably the only model I immediately liked after I saw it. It is characteristically dwarfish in proportions and appearance - short and stout, with long hair and a long beard. The overall design is pretty awesome. The robe is great and the staff-axe is just pure win. The model looks like it would easily fit into Warcraft 3, and it makes perfect sense to me, lore-wise, even though Skrab didn't mention any background information. The colors would fit both a Wildhammer dwarf and an Ironforge dwarf; he doesn't looks out of place at all. I can easily imagine him as being a Wildhammer adventurer, or just any dwarf that serves the Church of the Holy Light.

Mesh:

He is short and stout like a dwarf should be... As I already mentioned beforehand. The mesh overall looks good. The axe-staff weapon looks awesome, and nothing is too detailed, or undetailed. He has no excess details such as fingers or 3D chains. The beard design is fairly unique and he doesn't reminds me of any dwarf in-game, making the mesh rather original from my point of view.

Animations:

The animations are sufficient, and sufficiently epic for a hero. All three stand animations are just lovely; he drinks beer and kicks ass. Pretty badass. :ogre_datass: I would have loved to see a couple other attack animations and maybe a few other spell animations, though. With the right sounds in-game, the attack animation would look just right, despite not looking very powerful in the viewer. Stand Ready is just awesome. Walk looks pretty good, not too fast and not too slow. I would have loved to see some holy, yellow particles on Spell though(or maybe there are some? I can't see any in Magos anyways, but the Node manager seems to say you do have some particles there!). You should change "footprint boot small" to "footprint boot large" though, he has pretty big feet and all heroes have large footprints.

Skin:

The skin is great. I love the details on the robe, on the beard and on the axe. There's one thing I'd like to point out however, the teamcolor on the robe looks very bleak, way too bright and desaturated. You should have removed the color on the texture before creating an alpha layer, and instead you should have simply shaded it through the alpha layer.

Overall, all contestants with no exceptions did a great job. I decided to vote for Team Number 1 because their model just has this 'charm' that I love, it fits in-game and looks great. :)

Level 25

Team Number 1's Dwarf Monk Pilgrim:

Animations:

I would have loved to see some holy, yellow particles on Spell though(or maybe there are some? I can't see any in Magos anyways, but the Node manager seems to say you do have some particles there!). You should change "footprint boot small" to "footprint boot large" though, he has pretty big feet and all heroes have large footprints.

Skin:

There's one thing I'd like to point out however, the teamcolor on the robe looks very bleak, way too bright and desaturated. You should have removed the color on the texture before creating an alpha layer, and instead you should have simply shaded it through the alpha layer.

In game, you can see the particle emitter on the axe and also the blizzribbon on the flail. I forgot to change many things including the footprint name, I didn't had enough time to work on details. The skin is not finished. I'll ask viiva if he wants to finish the skin.

thanks for the review

Level 31

Team Pink Baloons' Bandit Berserker:

General:

Overall, the model design is not too detailed nor too lacking in detail. It looks just fine. There is nothing that terribly stands out in the model nor anything that looks extraordinary awesome(which means too awesome; so awesome it simply wont fit with the rest of the model, or the Warcraft 3 models), which is good. The model would make sense as a Bandit hero, but I feel you was very uninspired on the lore aspect. It feels as though as you made a random and generic knight or warrior rather than a bandit lord with a backtstory behind him. It feels like you was uninspired by the bandits in Warcraft, especially when it comes to the color scheme. I think it would have looked much better with the proper color scheme, for one - black and shiny metallic armor, dark-brown leather armor etc. It does seems like it wont be too out of place in WC3, though.

Mesh:

The mesh is simple and effective. It looks rather good. I like the helmet and the big mace, as well as the teamcolored tabard. The shoulderpads look fine and just in the right size. I feel it lacks something to define it as a 'hero', though - perhaps a cape, or an actual face behind the helmet(e.g., the helmet could have had a hole in the front or something, so we could see his face). I also like how the gloves are detailed, even though that would never be seen in-game.

Animations:

First of all, there are very few animations. Not enough for a hero. I sort of like the attack animations, but that's about it. You should have included some particles or something in the Spell animation, and perhaps come up with a few other spell animations. The stand ready animation is just lame. You should have changed his stance a bit from Stand to Stand Ready, at least move his shield to match how it looks like during Attack animations. Death is really, REALLY simple and... Well, sort of lame. There isn't any actual digital movement, he just... Falls back. He should have at least moved a bit while he was on his back, like try to stand up or breath his last breaths. Instead he just dies very, very quickly and immediately rises to the sky. Doesn't fits a hero very well in my opinion. The walk animation looks strange. It doesn't seems to fit any other animation on the model; I definitely imagine him as slowly walking, using the same stance as he has during Stand, as though as he is sneaking up(due to the heavy weight of the mace and his armor). The walk animation doesn't looks too realistic overall.

Skin:

I liked the skin. It's simple and effective and detailed enough for a Warcraft 3 model. The emblem on the shield is really nice. Not much more to say here.

Thank you very much for the review! Quite helpful indeed.

Ya, I think I sort of failed my partner in the fact that I didn't give it enough stuff. I really should have done more anims and mesh. Luckily he sort of pulled through with the texture. The model itself should be a unit instead of a hero.

Oh well. Hopefully, I'll do better next time. Though, I may not be able to join the next contest...depending on how some things turn out...

Level 16
I like two models the pilgrim and the tank. But since the dwaref has only a few animations (and the tank has a cool portrait) Debo + LQ got my vote.

Team Brazilian Force's Death Mistress:

General:

The first impression I got was that the model is way too detailed for Warcraft 3. There are so many details packed up in the model, it's literally hard to see what's going on. For example... The unnecessarily 3D chains(should have been alphaed out planes), the actual detailed fingers, the tiny skulls on her pelvis - and those are just a few. It doesn't looks very much like a Warcraft 3 model, and has a huge polycount. Looks more like something I'd see in WoW. The skull on her back is nice, because it characterizes her as a hero, like the paladin has a huge cape etc. But the details are simply an overkill.
I wouldn't have a hard time believing it's a Forsaken assassin under the service of Sylvanas, but not only did HappyCockroach not mention it anywhere at all, when I did ask him if that was their idea in the first place, and explained what the Forsaken are(which felt very unnecessary to me), he simply asked me: "Okay, what does that has to do with the model?". That leads me to believe that HappyCockroach and his teammate were completely uninspired by Warcraft and its lore. This is a great degrading factor for me personally. It's sad so few people are aware of\are interested in the Warcraft lore.

Mesh:

As I said, the mesh is overall way too detailed for a standard Warcraft 3 hero. It is nicely done but unnecessarily high-poly. It looks sleek like an assassin model should be. Not much more to say here.

Animations:

The animations were overall pretty good. I like stand ready - it looks quick and deadly. The idea for the death animation is just awesome. I love how badass she looks until it is revealed she's so ugly behind her mask. My primary concern was how weak the animations seemed - especially the attack animations. I totally expected her to strike swiftly and with great power, but when I look at the Attack animations, it looks like she gently sweeps her weapons in front of her. More than so, the scythe's attack sequence seems a little wrong. I'd imagine her slashing from top to down vertically, but instead it looks like she sorta... Sticks the tip at the enemy's shoulder, or something like that, which looks a lot less deadly considering she may very well has cut off her opponent's entire arm with one deadly and powerful slash. Overall, both attack animations and the Walk animation look very slow.

Skin:

The skin is pretty good, but like the mesh, it is way too detailed to my liking. Her skin color could have been a bit darker to fit the color of the Dark Ranger, as they seem to be of similar origin? It definitely looks like she might be a banshee who possessed her or someone else's dead corpse.
Well.. the concept came out of the fact that I wanted to make some swift Undead Dancer, and when 4eNNightmare drew the concept, it looked more like a Rogue, and yeah, he was heavily inspired in the Forsaken (which I didn't recall what were at that time, confused it with those Unbroken Ones, Forgotten Ones, whatever they are)... he's the one who's got lore interest and knowledge, I'm just an ignorant modeller wannabe. :p
I totally agree with you about the fact that it is crowded with details. Me and 4eNN were always showing our work to each other and giving feedback on what we thought was better. He insisted a lot for I detailed mesh, which turned out as quite a trouble when animating and such. Plane chains wouldn't cross that badly with the body geometry, for instance.
About the animations, I had to rush them, cos I only had Stand and Walk done in the day of the deadline. (sorry about that.) But I still like them. Stand Ready, Attacks and Spell are the ones I can't get myself to like though. I'm gonna redo those surely before uploading to the modeling section, giving them a bigger amount of love this time... :p
People said the anims 'killed' the model, what got me really disappointed, cos there are several anims there which I gave a huge amount of effort and I'm proud of, as Death and Walk.
Eventhough, feels nice that you also liked the Death animation, I tried hard to give her some character personality there, a novel-like death full of drama :)

Thanks for the awesome review, you deserve one also, later when I get the time, I'll give some detailed feedback model by model of my own too.

K, thats it, screw artistic interpretation and expression, I'll just make a transformer next time.

Not a single vote, I can't believe this.
Sometimes people don't perceive our models the way we do.
For instance, until I got feedback I thought that only 'Stand Ready' sucked among my animations.
I do think your model is pretty cool, it looks like some sort of arabian swordsman that transforms into a shadow demon. There are some epic stuff in it, like the morph and morphing back, a whole lot of animations, as a hero would require, an awesome texture, good proportions, etc.
But those animations are kinda like an anime model's animations rather than a wc3 model's anims. They are a sequence of poses instead of a continuous movement.
Still, people were too gay with you in the poll, honestly I think your entry is better than GF/m0rbid's and Bob/Stanakin.
But yours is also voting-unattractive. There's just the picture and then the download link... and that's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.