• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

forest terrain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
changed souls Terrain

Ok well its half done but i had to stop for now got things i have to do so heres whats done so far
I'm just going to post all my terrain for my game here that way people can help me out

WC3ScrnShot_112908_092512_01.jpg

WC3ScrnShot_112908_092517_02.jpg

WC3ScrnShot_112908_092521_03.jpg

WC3ScrnShot_112908_092533_04.jpg

WC3ScrnShot_112908_092601_01.jpg

Last edited:
Level 34
Start doing it yourself, and then post the pictures. We'll help you out from there.

Level 34
More doodads and more tiles. Pretty much this looks like a few minutes of work. Lets see you put in an hour or so, and then post again.

Level 36
Don't be so harsh, Gilles. Most people new to the editor don't know where to go with their terrain. It's not so simple as to say "make an effort" if you don't know which direction to go in.

I believe the best way to figure out how to terrain is to explore the world editor to its fullest. Now, you don't need to read up on tutorials or anything if you don't think they will help you, because to be totally honest, I have never read a terrain tutorial for any purpose except to critique it.

Also you might want to know that there will always be a few things you don't know, it took me a year of being a somewhat renowned terrainer before FamousPker49 informed me that you can check the "ignore model clicks" button, and it took MadseN a good long while before I informed him on how to flip doodads. :]

Level 36
Yeah, Gilles are right, and so are Void. We'r not here to tell him how much time he used on the terrain, we'r here to tell him what he should do! :p

So, firstly that red road tile BURNS my eyes, please find something that fits better, and maybe trying with two different dirt tiles overlaping each other in a randomish way to make it more realistic. Also, as Gilles said, use more doodads. Since for some reason I dont think you know how to import, dont get me wrong if you do thats all nice, you could maybe start off with using the "Shrub" model? ^^

Allso, use the hight variation tool more, have it go higher and lower everywhere :p

Level 13
im not really new to the editor its just new to editing terrain
PS the only tutorial i learned from was the one to make better rivers
its a forsest terrain so dont say i got 2 many trees

Level 23
Village tiles' cobble path works quite well as a road.

Also you might want to know that there will always be a few things you don't know, it took me a year of being a somewhat renowned terrainer before FamousPker49 informed me that you can check the "ignore model clicks" button, and it took MadseN a good long while before I informed him on how to flip doodads. :]
I didnt know how to flip doodads either until just a few days ago.

Level 18
to be honest, lordareon tileset is the ugliest and most over used tileset ever.

maybe you should change the tileset to ashenvale.. it has alot more dirt and grass tiles that combine and mix nicly with each other.

for the roads and stuff, use the village fall cobble, or stone path ( by modifiing your tileset)

is this for a melle map? or are you just purly terraining?

Level 13
Im amazed thedeathunderxx would even bother posting in this thread that made my day
Click on Changed Souls and its the first map for that project of mine

Level 13
no i just thought u would have been busy makeing some kick ass looking terrain instead of looking at this thread i sorta feel honored that u posted here

Level 34
Don't be so harsh, Gilles. Most people new to the editor don't know where to go with their terrain. It's not so simple as to say "make an effort" if you don't know which direction to go in.
He doesn't know where to begin? I didn't know where to begin with critiquing. :p

Level 18
Ahh you are definetly progressing.

i suggest you replace those braziers with torches instead. braziers have ugly textures, while the torches seem almost lifelike...

what else...add shrubs near the bases of trees.

and lastly put in a sky ( a fogged sky )

this is looking good.

Level 1
I love the feel of barren emptiness in the latest terrain. Escpecially the hill surrounded by fog it gives a simple creepy feel. I also enjoy the shadows the hills create on the overhead shot. The city seems Linear and symettrical wich needs work :hohum:

Level 13
The City was thrown together in like 1hr by just randomly placing the houses than makeing the walk path
He asked me to thouch it up a little when i get the chance

Level 18
here are a few suggestions.

instead of using braziers, use torches.

Secondly, use more hiegth variation in the forest with the canopy trees. very flat.

lastly you might want to change add to the city by placing the flower pot doodad around them.. maybe add little backyards, with the fence doodad.

Level 13
i dont need to worry about the map for the other person till hte weekend or so
so im going back to working on my game

Status
Not open for further replies.