• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

[ORPG] Shadows of Everwood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
After a couple of weeks, I've picked up coding again!

Work so far is an update to the sct (scrolling combat text).
I've also begun to update our new quest system to support our new system, yet to be revealed.

Expect some info about version 2.0 being released by Wolfe, soontm.

Level 17
Hey guys, just popping in to ask a question.

Currently in the stage of designing the eight classes and I'm just wondering what you guys would prefer for our last class. There are a few ways I've gone about it:

• a druidic witch who uses condition-spreading totems and natural magic
  • a master of voodoo who also uses wards but commands spirits
  • a necromancer with a plethora of summons + utilities from these summons
  • a warlock who commands daemons and clouds the battlefield in darkness

Looking forward to hearing from you all!

Wolfe

Level 7
a druidic witch who uses condition-spreading totems and natural magic

I'd vote for this one, or maybe the voodoo one. The idea of condition-spreading totems interests me can you give an example?

Necromancer and Warlock are a bit overused.

Level 17
Hypothetically, a totem would probably be something like:

Sunfire Totem
Places a sunfire totem. The area around the totem becomes brightened by the sun and any creature who enters the area receives the burning condition.

Or even something like:

Viperfang Totem
Places a viperfang totem. Launches long-range poisonous darts at enemies not affected by the poisoned condition.

Then, the conditions spread by totems could be complimented by an ability that maybe deals damage depending on the amount of conditions on a target, etc.

Level 7
Sounds interesting. It could be even more elaborate in ideas if you had conditions for amplified effects/growth of the totems. Like a fire totem spreads to create another nearby totem after igniting enough nearby trees.

Totems could be a real interesting way to shape a hero as it's something that isn't necessarily offense or defense in concept and instead it's more about strategic position. As long as the spells are interesting and cool I'm sure it'd be an pretty awesome class. My vote goes to the Druid with totems.

Level 6
Hue hue hue :3

Code update
  • New save/load-system architecture.
  • Quest system is now totally compatible with the yet-to-be-revealed system.
  • Some quest objectives will now share progress with nearby players.
  • Semi-completed 2 quests.
  • A couple of bug fixes regarding various systems.
  • Begun work on a remake of the old threat bar system and the new inventory system.

Moar updates (30/11-11)
  • Save/load is now sensitive to offline/online play. Cannot load offline-code into online session, and vice versa.
  • Improved effects on a number of spells to account for terrain height.
  • Added 3 new spells.
  • Improved hero selection terrain visibility.
  • Updated 19 spells to be a little faster when casting finishes.
  • New experience system.

Last edited:
Level 6
2.0 Progress

Script progress made during the past week! (Will be updated ~once a week)
Already posted progress info has been put under "Old updates", for the interested.

Backpack system is now pretty much finished.
Layout of Equipment system left until it's completed.

Cooldowns removed from 2 innate attack skills.
Planned a mechanic for a mage-type class.

17/12-11
  • System
    • Updated a lot of scripts to use the new camera system.
    • Item system now features restrictions which are marked as either met or not met in the item description.
    • Backpack system is now completed with pickup, drop, swift-equip, "drag-and-drop" style movement and item stacking support.
    • Equipment system now supports swift-equip with all item classes.
  • World
    • A new miniboss has been added to the game!
  • Classes
    • Renamed a class.
    • 2 Innate skills have had their cooldowns removed. Cast time still there, however.

4/12-11
  • Improved camera of a new system (huge improvement).
  • Updated the revival system with spirit mender locations.
    > The Spirit Mender sells an item (for free) that will update your revival location once purchased.
  • Item system is now operational (property translation + application).
  • Inventory system is now divided into two parts: Backpack and Equipment.
    > More information about the inventory system later on.
  • Updated 3 spells with their new names.
  • Added 4 new spells, finishing the 3rd class for now.

30/11-11
  • Save/load is now sensitive to offline/online play. Cannot load offline-code into online session, and vice versa.
  • Improved effects on a number of spells to account for terrain height.
  • Added 3 new spells.
  • Improved hero selection terrain visibility.
  • Updated 19 spells to be a little faster when casting finishes.
  • New experience system.

27/11-11
  • New save/load-system architecture.
  • Quest system is now totally compatible with the yet-to-be-revealed system.
  • Some quest objectives will now share progress with nearby players.
  • Semi-completed 2 quests.
  • A couple of bug fixes regarding various systems.
  • Begun work on a remake of the old threat bar system and the new inventory system.

Last edited:
Level 6
Oh yes!

I've just finished the item generator that we'll use to produce low-to-medium quality items!
It supports item prefixes and suffixes too!

It'll produce a lot of GSL-code, which is used by the GMSI tool, to create the items and their tooltips!
The GMSI tool will also use that GSL-code to inject jass code into the map, removing tonnes of tedious work from my shoulders!

I'm going to update the other post later tomorrow with the more map-specific updates!

Level 6
Okay, so instead of making an edit to above post, I'll do a quick resumé of the script progress for the last couple of weeks.

Page-break warning

Version 2.0 Progress:
  • Item Generator
    • First out is the newly coded Item Generator! Which can produce lots of items of different quality.
      It generates object editor tooltips, names, gold cost and writes vJASS code to set stats, requirements and item classes up with the item system in the map!
      Item levels have been striped from the tooltips because I'm not finished with the stat growth algorithm.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Normal base item "Long Sword", of reasonably high level.
Notice that this item is judged more valuable than the one to the right.
Above medium level "Long Sword", with a health-boosting enchantment.
Medium level "Sword" item with same enhancement as the last one.

All of these items are 100% randomly generated and created by the program. No user editing involved (except placing them).

• Aggro Mechanics
    • Second update has been dedicated to the new Threat System!
      The Threat System handles boss & creep attack and retreat decisions, with a powerful AI-script for each unit, providing intense and action filled battles! :D

Units will often attack the most threatening player, and in order to become targeted you must burst up to 30% more threat than the current threat holder.

Combat has also become more movement-oriented, and you'll face many challenging bosses with complex missile trajectories and projectile altering skills!

attachment.php
Units that are targeting
you now have a bubble over
their head, proving your taunting
appearance once and for all!

Effect is very much subject to change!
attachment.php

attachment.php

Lethal abilities used by the more powerful units are often somewhat announced,
either by text or by animation - bosses use both!

• Talk System
    • Last one out is the new system, NPC Talk!
      It's aimed at providing a good-looking way to accept and turn in quests, search for lore parts, purchase items, do faction tasks and learn more about the world of SoE.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Starting a conversation is done by casting the Talk
ability onto any NPC you wish to speak with. If the NPC is working,
engaged in combat, already talking or faction-locked, the NPC will
turn down your invite. Faction standing often influences the amount
of topics you can speak about, as well as inflating item prices.

When talking your inventory will become your chat panel.
With various standard topics that you can talk to exactly anyone
about, and follow-up topics for more unique NPCs.

If you decide to investigate about a quest, the NPC will tell you the
background information and then let you decide whether you want
to accept or decline.
attachment.php

Oh man, that was painful to write...
Anyway, hope you find something of interest!

Attachments

• Tools.png
    Tools.png
    124.5 KB · Views: 541
  • YesNo.png
    YesNo.png
    94 KB · Views: 569
  • AggroPopup.png
    AggroPopup.png
    30.9 KB · Views: 437
  • Card0.png
    Card0.png
    202.8 KB · Views: 469
  • Card1.png
    Card1.png
    223.1 KB · Views: 458
  • Card2.png
    Card2.png
    223.3 KB · Views: 447
  • Pull.png
    Pull.png
    24.1 KB · Views: 445
  • TalkyTalky.png
    TalkyTalky.png
    672.3 KB · Views: 464
  • Volley.png
    Volley.png
    479.7 KB · Views: 512
Last edited:
Level 6
@Mr.foxxxxxxy: why you heff to be mad?

@Adiktuz: The program itself is coded in JAVA and generates a gsl-file
(pretty much a .txt file), that a script interpreter, called GMSI, executes,
generating jass and object editor data.

If you want too look at the undocumented source code, just throw me a PM :)

On another note, I finished a system that handles dynamic loot generation.

An example would be that quests can have random loot rewards.
Yet, the rewards would be decent and usable by your hero.

EDIT

I don't know why, but the images on the above post disappeared.
Uploaded again and it's hopefully fixed :).

Also, a little hint on what I and HeroSlayer created yesterday:

Not 100% finished.
attachment.php

Attachments

• ShopAlpha0.png
    ShopAlpha0.png
    851.8 KB · Views: 534
Last edited:
Level 6
Progress!

Another week, another update.

Hope you ladies and gentlemen have had a splendid new year's eve!

Holidays are soon over on my part, so I'm glad that all core systems have been added and are functional.

----------------------------------------------------------
06-01-2012
----------------------------------------------------------
Additions:
  • Attribute window has been added.
  • Item comparison has been added.
  • 2 new quests have been added.
  • Added ~50% of all base items to the ItemGenerator.
  • Blood will now splash here and there in combat.
  • All windows can now be exited by pressing ESC.
Bug fixes:
  • Fixed critical multiplayer issues with windows.
  • Fixed important AI reset routine.

Last edited:
Level 11
In the tooltip one attribute of the "Sword of the Bear" is "-10% attack speed". If you wanted to say, that you'll attack 10% faster while using that weapon, it should be "+10% attack speed" or "-10% attack delay" instead.

Level 17
So, hi guys.

Progress is actually going pretty good, especially now that we've pretty much scrapped most of the shit from our rushed demo.

Tukki is working on one of our classes, which I will be revealing to you tomorrow so stay tuned!

HeroSlayer has stumbled upon some interesting information which could make models so much more appealing and realistic. He is also working hard on animating.

Oziris is busy at work as usual. He is making the world come alive and currently working on what I call 'the river keep'. Screenshots to come!

As well as that, the opening post will be redesigned with more updated information and, to keep you guys happy, look forward to the following dates:

• 21st of January, 2012 - first class revealed
  • 15th of February, 2012 - first monthly dev. update
  • 29th of February, 2012 - second class revealed

So dudes, stay tuned!

Regards,

Wolfe
Project Leader

Level 17
BannerEverwoodFinished3.png

The Wizard

“The cold only stings when you fight it.”

The world of the arcane sciences is a complex one, a maze of powerful secrets waiting to be found. Only those who show unwavering discipline and conviction are able to properly tread the path of the wizard. Once you take that first step, however, the power made available to you is both strong and dangerous. Wizards empower themselves with the elements of wind and water, commanding lethal storms of lightning and frost. To further harness these energies, the wizard must channel power from her magical orbs. She also adorns herself in light robes to keep herself agile and out of harm’s way.

EverwoodThreadArtFinished.png

Arcane Orbs
As humans are incapable of safely conducting the magical energies of the world, wizards utilize arcane orbs to store their power. Each wizard has three orbs representing storm, water and the cold. As a wizard casts spells, the energy quickly bounces from whatever source to another, and finally into the orb representing that spell’s element. Eventually, the orbs become full, and must be emptied through a powerful spell invoking the energies preserved. These spells range from lightning storms to hurricane vacuums to freezing blizzards.

Armour Class: Light
Weapon Types:
  • One Hand: Sceptre, Sword, Focus
  • Two Hand: None
Innate Attacks: Ice Lance (Water), Howling Winds (Cold) and Lightning Tongue (Storm)
Healing Skills: Healing Rain & Evocation

As a wizard, you are the most versatile class in the game. When building your class, you can choose to synergize each of the three orbs or focus on one. Each orb follows a different playstyle, offering four diverse spells.

The Wizard Uncovered
Playing as a wizard depends on your orb and build. You will notice that the Storm Orb gravitates around long-range, area of effect damage, while the Cold Orb blesses you with the swiftness of the winds, making you a master of mobility and control accelerated by incredibly low cooldowns. Both are geared towards damage and stuns or knockbacks. The Water Orb, however, takes on a supportive role. While you pound your foes with freezing gusts and ice, you are able to cleanse allies of their afflictions and help them recover with quickly cast area of effect skills.

SoE_Maelstrom.png

Unleashes a maelstrom upon an area, stunning and damaging foes struck by lightning.

Maelstrom is the orb skill for the Storm Orb. It has extreme damage dealing potential.

SoE_Tempest.png

Conjures a storm of circling wind in an area, sucking in foes and lowering their magic resistance.

Tempest is the orb skill for the Cold Orb. It could be used as an escape mechanism for yourself or even stall foes so allies can recuperate.

SoE_Blizz.png

Calls upon a chilling blizzard, pelting foes around you with piercing blades of ice.

Blizzard is the orb skill for the Water Orb. It is very useful if your tank is dead, or your party is ranged.

BorderScreen1.png BorderScreen2.png BorderScreen3.png

Last edited:
Level 17
All orbs are active at all times, so yes you can mix and match for different combinations. However, this would slow down the rate which you gain power in each orb but if your build is good enough timing when you get enough power for an orb skill could make or break a battle.

I have decided to update the wizard post with all skills so you guys can start thinking about ways of combining them all. Glad you all liked it! :)

Last edited:
Level 2
Isn't a female caster normally addressed as Sorceress, Enchantress, Witch ~ Wizard in seems to be used to address male casters. Just a minor detail :p

Level 17
That is very true, however each class can be male or female. I just depict them in a certain gender for the descriptions. :)

Off-Topic: I was in a game of Gaia's with you yesterday! :)

Level 12
Witch, Wizard, Warlock, none of these are gender specific, though they generally seem to be. Enchanter/Enchantress, Sorceress/Sorcerer have their genders, but witch, wizard, warlock, etc. do not. A male can be a witch, and a female can be a wizard.

Wizard - One who practices magic; a sorcerer or magician

Witch - A believer or follower of Wicca; a Wiccan.
To cause, bring, or effect by witchcraft.

It is nice to see a new class implemented, especially another caster. I like the variety this class has, ranging from it's different elemental fields to it's capablities of AoE. Glad to see your still working on this, and that huge progress (Like this Wizard) is being implemented. I was beginning to get worried after a couple weeks of inactivity :p

Level 17
The wizard was either that, or magi, or even 'weaver'. I felt that because the lore behind the class uses magic more as a science and that the powers they wielded were more stable, words like 'warlock', 'enchanter' or 'sorcerer' didn't fit. For me, a warlock and sorcerer dabble in much darker magic while an enchanter focuses more on hexes, mind control, enchantments, etc.

Hehe, yeah, we're working hard on this still. Admittedly, the demo was a failure mainly due to rushing and family/social pressures but we are still in business! Each class in the demo was sort of taken apart and given to new classes, such as the wizard.

The wizard is sort of our 'versatility' class, covering a wide range of things and not necessarily specializing in them. A jack-of-all-trades, if you will. The wizard also functions well alongside any other class. It's just natural and that is what I am aiming for in each class - functionality and synergy. The next class I reveal is our attention seeker. :)

Last edited:
Level 1
the wizard was either that, or magi, or even 'weaver'. I felt that because the lore behind the class uses magic more as a science and that the powers they wielded were more stable, words like 'warlock', 'enchanter' or 'sorcerer' didn't fit. For me, a warlock and sorcerer dabble in much darker magic while an enchanter focuses more on hexes, mind control, enchantments, etc.

hehe, yeah, we're working hard on this still. Admittedly, the demo was a failure mainly due to rushing and family/social pressures but we are still in business! Each class in the demo was sort of taken apart and given to new classes, such as the wizard.

The wizard is sort of our 'versatility' class, covering a wide range of things and not necessarily specializing in them. A jack-of-all-trades, if you will. The wizard also functions well alongside any other class. It's just natural and that is what i am aiming for in each class - functionality and synergy. The next class i reveal is our attention seeker. :)

buuump!

Level 6
Wizard Abilities

Wizard class is now finished!

Here are a couple of screenshots!
(Please note that this is my test map = terrain is very bad)

Conduit
Conduit.png
Conduit2.png

Frost Cage
FrostCage.png
FrostCage2.png

Purifying Wave
PurifyingWave.png
PurifyingWave2.png

Tundra Dome
TundraDome.png
TundraDome2.png

Wind Lash
WindLash2.png
WindLash.png

Tempest
Tempest.png

Healing Rain
HealingRain.png

Chain Lightning
ChainLightning.png

Flight
Flight.png

Lightning Tongue
LightningTongue.png

Last edited:

Gwy

Gwy

Level 4
Im sure there are many people interested in this map.
We just dont wanna write the usual "when the next demo is coming out..."
But were waiting...

Level 17
We love you guys!

It'll be a busy week for the thread and for us as we're all going through a challenging part of school.

Just to recap what's happening:

• 8th of February - the mighty berserker revealed
  • 14th of February - our first developer's report

And I'd also like to officially welcome back Magtheridon96 to the team as a coder. On top of that, our new coder The_Witcher! :)

Regards,

Wolfe

Wizard class is now finished!

Here are a couple of screenshots!
(Please note that this is my test map = terrain is very bad)

Why does everything look so good? D:

Level 17
BannerEverwoodFinished3.png

The Berserker

"My sword is my tool, my rage is my weapon."

Rage is widely recognised as the burden of all warriors in battle. It is essential to practice self-control so that you're more primal instincts do not conquer you. The tradition of the berserker dismisses these rules. Embracing their anger, the berserker channels his fury into every strike and uses it to endure any pain or affliction put upon him by his foes. Even at the brink of death, these warrior juggernauts charge forth and fight on in a violent storm of blood and fury. Renowned for incredible feats of strength, they are able to shake the very earth with powerful slams and use any weapon they see fit.

Berserker Frenzies
Berserker Frenzies
Berserkers are able to enter states of reckless abandon known as frenzies. In battle, the berserker relies on his anger to fuel these frenzies and make the devastation of his assault even greater. There are three frenzies:
  • The Fury of the Avenger - for every time you are struck, your critical chance and attack speed increase
  • The Fury of the Slayer - for every time you hit your opponent, your attack and attack critical power increase
  • The Fury of the Vanguard - for every strike made to an ally, your threat gain and armour increase

Armour Class: Heavy
Weapon Types:
  • One Hand: Axe, Shield
  • Two Hand: Battleaxe
Innate Attacks: Rupture, Cleave and Angerstrike
Healing Skills: Enduring Cry & Wall of Rage

As a berserker, you are the attention seeker. You thrive on being in the centre of the battle and attracting the most threat from your foes. This makes tanking an incredibly viable option, but do not be so quick to eschew your damage dealing potential.

The Berserker Uncovered
How you play as a berserker depends on which frenzy you have active. If you're in avenger, you're going to need to be pumping out some serious damage to gain enough threat so that you are being attacked. If you're in slayer, being the pinnacle of the conflict isn't always necessary but you're still bound to be dealing enough damage to get significant threat. In vanguard, positioning is key. If you're not near your allies, you won't gain any benefit from the passive buff and if you aren't prepared to tank, then more threat gain will likely result in your demise.

Shockwave1.jpg

Stampede through an area in a shockwave of power, knocking foes away as you pass.

Part of the berserker skill sets are what I call 'passage' skills, powerful movement skills which allow you to plough through the battlefield.

Quake11.jpg

Slams the ground, damaging foes and knocking them down.

Quake, like many berserker skills, is area-of-effect. These skills help the berserker maintain threat when faced with scores of foes.

EdgeofHeaven1.jpg

Leap to an area, striking all foes on impact and making them vulnerable.

Edge of Heaven allows players to easily move through the battlefield, however it is best used when initiating a fight for easy threat gain.

EdgeofHeaven0.jpg Quake0.jpgShockwave0.jpg

Last edited:
Level 6
This "ItemGenerator" is in Lua and it writes vJass by generating textmacros in external .j files that get imported into the script.
Right? :p

I once wrote a TowerGenerator for a TD of mine so I didn't have to touch the Object editor ^.^

50% wrong :p

A java application generates a GMSI script with item data.

That GMSI script is executed and the GMSI tool creates the item in the map, and generates/updates a .j file that is imported.

Status
Not open for further replies.