• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Music Contest #1 - Races

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
Sounds a bit eerie in the beginning with all the high notes but eventually it turns into something quite playful. Violin is a bit loud compared to everything. I don't really see Furbolgs in this song -- maybe some other more "friendly" race like the Pandarens or something (Excuse me if I get my lore wrong). Overall it's jubilant and creative. Well done.

*Also, for a WIP, is it possible for me to simply post the melody i played on the piano in a hurry? Later on, I'll try to arrange it into strings or something.*

Yeah well. I had a pretty big selection of instruments and decided to go for some sort of a violin sound for the theme because this reminded me of the Rohan theme from lord of the rings- two towers. After I picked that instrument I forgot to lower the volume a bit. But I might change the entire instrument because well.. a violin played on a keyboard sounds ugly, you can hear from miles away it's a fake one.

Level 10
@VoidLordExtreme: Hey, you really got it to sound much better. Now add some more music to it and it will be great! :thumbs_up:

@Teuncreemers: I didn't even realize that it should be a violin... :xxd:
Maybe try to optimize the sound of it with an equalizer and add reverb to it, if you have the possibility. I also think it's quite nice and for me it works well for the Furbolgs. Especially the pounding rythm in the beginning reminds me on the dark forest where they live and the vibraphone makes the atmosphere a little less dark, which is very fitting I think.

Wow I'm scared of the poll in the end... bad think to grap just one or two pieces out and declare everything else for less worthy. :confused:

@JetfangInferno: For me this works, since it actually IS WorkInProgress.

Level 10
I'd kill this post because the humans were you inspiration and inspiration is before the work! :razz:
Anyways, I think it fits. It's only always the question in which way it fits because you always have to focus on some aspects in your music. :wink:

true.. ^^
well i thought of humans and there came trumpets in my mind so i tried my best :)
was just thinking because of the drums...(maybe they sound too orcish?)

edit:
Final Entry!!

The Rise of Lords – Human Theme

15 Years ago, the ogres burned up houses and tortured villagers of the Eastern Kingdoms.
They were like a plague, so Lord Eastwood and Lord Ironknight were sent far away to the continent Kalimdor.
There mission was to kill all ogres living there to solve the ogre-problem in their country.
As they came back everyones heart was filled with hope, so the most famous composer of the city Stratholme wrote a theme, called “The Rise of Lords”, celebrating Lord Eastwood and Lord Ironknights success.
Now in the Eastern Kingdoms they celebrate every second march by playing this theme!

edit:edit: added Explanation.. sry that i forgot. (seems like i skipped that rule oO)
The humans are celebrating many festivals, using trumpets and drums for the music.
The base synthesizer for the trumpet-near sounds is in the category "bass sounds" and called "Deep Saw".
It sounds like a royal orchestra when a important guest arrives (like they are celebrating that he arrives and maybe also what he has done).
Its mostly the relationships what makes the humans as strong as they are.
They are able to use higher technology than most of the other races, but they are physically weaker and do not have special abilities (except of priests, palas etc.)

gl to everyone else!

Attachments

• HumanTheme Final- The Rise of Lords.MP3
    3.7 MB · Views: 514
Last edited:
Level 2
Hi
I'm sorry, but because I've been busy doing lots of other school stuff and so, I'm afraid that I cant compleete my piece of music. I've done almost nothing since my first and last WIP, so I dont see any point in putting up any "final entry" for me. I'm really sorry. thanks for all the feedback I got on my WIP.

I hope to join another music contest another time :p thanks again

Level 10
OK, one day left and it will become a busy recording & mixing day for me... I plan to record the trumpet parts myself, but I never did that before and my experiments today showed it won't become easy to play good enough. Well let's see if I manage to play better than the automatic MIDI. :grin:
I hope most of the other contestants won't be leaving, too, and look forward to the listening session after the recording session. See you tomorrow! :wink:

Level 4
Final Entry

Sadly for me, I had forgotten to save before going to bed, there was a power outage. I lost all my progress from my second WIP until now. I will have to use my third WIP as my final entry.

Final Entry

Elementals - Story

The elementals are like many races, yet they are so different from all others. From as far as anyone can remember the elementals have been there, they share bonds that represent each other. But even as a race they themselves have differences that would throw them into war. From shape, size and even composition. In this song you will hear the randomness of each elemental, the race that doesn't even have one determined bodyshape. The beat of their warring ways, the chaos of their questionable actions, and even the transitions between the many types of this race there are... From the warring to the soothing elementals this song tries to single them out in the midst of their chaotic wars.

Elementals - Instruments

Everything in this song was synthesized, It uses many synthesized pads and a synthesized piano. The "air" effect at the beginning and end was a pad that was passed through a gate effect. The reason these instruments were used was that the elementals have an energy like flow to them that you get out of synthesized instruments.
Special FX inlude an EQ, a frequency clipper, multiple envelopes (for volume and panning control), and a phaser (multiplies and manipulates frequency ranges).

Final Entry Download

Very good - I would say thats a good method to base your final entry off for everyone else - remember that you need the explanation for your final entry to be accepted (If we get few entries because people neglected this rule I may consider giving them an extra day to get that in though this is a necessity).

All entries must be accompanied by an explanation of how the song fits into the theme and the chosen race. The Race that you have chosen must be clearly indicated in the final entry post.

-Don't forget this

Level 35
Here's my WIP, a sentimental piece that ends abruptly right now (Mind went blank after struggling for new parts). +1 for the person who can guess the theme behind the song's story (hint: it's in the name). Story of course, will be posted along with my final submission. For the time being, the song's a simple piano solo played by me that I will try to add more parts to. Hopefully I will make it in time since I have class tomorrow too. Fun!

Attachments

• Pyrhhic Victory.mp3
    2.8 MB · Views: 85
Level 19
This is my submission. Unfortunatelly I didn't have enough time to improve it because of school, but it might be worth a few rep or whatever.:)
I made it for furbolgs because of I get this forest feeling when I listen to it, so my decision had to be for a forest liver already. The night elves didnt really fit into this, and to be really honest I had a wood elf feeling, but wood elves don't excist in warcraft 3 so I decided to call it furbolg theme because they're a nice and peaceful forest living race while the rythm at start makes sence aswel because they're also a bit big and tough.

I hope you like it.

Attachments

• Furbolg Theme.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 232
Level 8
Ok, here is my Final Entry.

Explanation:

Orc Theme - Story
As the orcs traditional music came from drums of war and deep echoes from the steps of their gigantic beasts, this song will contain their elements. In this song you will hear how Orcs see the world through music. Full of ancient spirits that chant, drums and echoes.

Orc Theme - Instruments
Using Drums, deep echoes (from steps of beasts), sounds and voices of the Spirits. The strong wind that some times come strong and sometimes weak. A nice end with a strong drum sound to finish the song leaving its echoe back.

Attachments

• Orc Theme.MP3
    4.6 MB · Views: 236
Level 19
Here's my WIP, a sentimental piece that ends abruptly right now (Mind went blank after struggling for new parts). +1 for the person who can guess the theme behind the song's story (hint: it's in the name). Story of course, will be posted along with my final submission. For the time being, the song's a simple piano solo played by me that I will try to add more parts to. Hopefully I will make it in time since I have class tomorrow too. Fun!

Well played!

The Panda

Icon Reviewer
Level 57
Gathered some of the contestants music together.

1: KeLeNoR (Orc Theme)

2: JetFangInferno (Pyrhhic Victory Theme)

3: Drenferalis (Elemental Chaos War Theme)

4: EMPerror (Water Elements)

Tell me if i uploaded the wrong music.

Attachments

• Orc Theme.MP3
    4.6 MB · Views: 88
  • Pyrhhic Victory.mp3
    2.8 MB · Views: 61
  • WC3 WIP_3(2).mp3
    3.5 MB · Views: 56
  • water elements(2).mp3
    4.9 MB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Judging

ThemeI believe the music fits the Orc theme well with the tribal drums, and the cymbals add a nice tribal feel to it. But there was just something missing.20/30
Creativity/OriginalityThe piece is a little bit repeatitive, it sounds a lot like many different tribal musics, maybe you should have changed up the drums a little bit. And there was not enough other instruments added to the music.9/20
Dynamic/TonationThe music stays on beat well, and the few changes in instruments you had were blended in well enough.15/20
CompositionI do not think it was composed the best, because what got me was the fact that it sounded like a piano in a tribal setting. When it started I was like, "Okay, sounds good so far", then half way through it lost my interest because of the few changes.5/30

ThemeI think the music matches the theme you were going for, the music it's self was soothing and gave me a victory feel.25/30
Creativity/OriginalityVery original in my opinion, I have not heard music like this before.15/20
Dynamic/TonationThe flow of the music is constant, and the music stays on key and gives a very nice vibe.20/20
CompositionThe composition was well, the song kept it's course and delivered what was expected. One minor problem is the way the song ends, it should drift off rather then just stopping.20/30

ThemeThe theme gives me an Element feel, I like the use of the technological sounds.27/30
Creativity/OriginalityVery original, not much music out there that sounds like this. And if there is, I have not heard it.17/20
Dynamic/TonationThe dynamic of the music seems a bit random to me, it seems to me you just randomly added sounds that made it sound good. You should have a sense of order to you music, not randomness.8/20
CompositionThe composition was okay, I think you should have spent a little more time working on the feel of it, and not length.15/30

Theme/30
Creativity/Originality/20
Dynamic/Tonation/20
Composition/30

Level 10
OK guys, 23:29 GMT now, so I'll hurry up. :grin:

My piece is about the Burning Legion, as I already wrote for my WIP. It begins in calm, maybe a little dark atmosphere and the first theme is played by trumpet solo. It should tell something of the fate of the peoples in Warcraft's world, which is not to be escaped (I'll call it fate-theme). Then the first meteors come from the sky and the second theme is thought really for the demons, having a big ambitus and a very rough rythm and melody.
It is now the main theme of the middle part which should be describing how the demons destroy everything and the humans, orcs, etc. don't have any chance. The fate-theme comes to it and both melodys are heard at the same time. Everything is hurrying up more and more and nothing is left that anybody can see, before the storm suddenly stops and the demons have left to devastate another place. The fate-theme has another appearence in the final chorale which is something like a requiem for the doomed.

Well, a dark story and I hope you can feel it when you listen to my music! :smile:
I think I don't have to explain why I chose a combination of just brass and percussion instruments for my piece, but nevertheless: they are very rough, not too detailed, but extremely powerful. That's what the demons are for me, too: brutal and without any sense for details or real beauty.

The trumpet parts are recorded by me playing them myself; of course they are anything but perfect, but I think it's nevertheless better then the MIDI-samples I had.

Attachments

• Burning Legion final.mp3
    4.4 MB · Views: 317
Last edited:
Level 35
Foreword: I didn't have much time to work on this since I started terribly late but it's the best I can pull off in a hurry.

Title: Pyrrhic Victory

Story:
After the calamitous battle between the Burning Legion and the alliance of Night Elves, Humans, and Orcs as well, Medivh foresaw: "The roots will heal in time, as will the entire world. The sacrifices have been made. Just as the Orcs, Humans and Night Elves discarded their old hatreds and stood united against a common foe. So did nature herself rise up, to banish the shadow forever. As for me, I came back to ensure that there would be a future, to teach the world it no longer needed guardians. The hope for future generations has always resided in mortal hands. And now that my task is done, I will take my place amongst the legends... of the past." Though the alliance won, the casualties were innumerable, leaving not only physical scars on the soldiers and civilians but also emotional and spiritual pain -- the World Tree is scarred permanently, and lovers back home -- the unlucky ones -- had to face the death of those who tried protecting them. Although these atrocities plagued the alliance after the battle, Medivh predicted a hopeful time of rebirth.

Allegorical Musical Elements:
- The introduction of the song first portrays the pain of the lovers back home whose husbands / wives no longer live.
- Although the bereaved mourn and lament, the victory was also a unmistakable achievement for the alliance. Thus, the melody after the introduction depicts the bittersweet glory of war.
- The introduction is used again to further emphasize the losses included in the war.
- Reprising of the melody: Emphasis on the paramount achievement of purging the Burning Legion from Mount Hyjal. Also an emphasis on the hope Medivh foresees.

Race:
The race I went for is Human because it is Medivh's perspective, both with hindsight and foresight, of the war.

Program Used:
- Mac Garageband
- Jam Pack 4 (Orchestral Strings and Steinway Piano)

Instrument Choice:
- I chose the piano for it's versatility in both the low and high registers. The low notes of the Steinway Concert Grand samples sound quite "grand" and are perfect for conveying some sense of majesty. The high notes are more emotional and bright to invoke a sense of purity in the dissonance I used.
- I also used the orchestral strings to provide a small sense of movement in the first variation of the melody and to add an atmosphere to it.

Link:http://www.mediafire.com/?neydzmnkztz

Last edited:
Level 35
Judging hasn't begun yet actually - and judging will take some time, along with the poll - so you still have some more time, just not much.

Hmm could you give it a call when its officially over then? I stopped working on mine when the deadline was reached. Not that I believe what I had time for would stand a chance anyway :smile:

Level 10
OK, in my private folder here I have 9 final entries including my own:
- Cobra B Tauren Final.aif
- Drenferalis Elemental Chaos War (WIP3).mp3
- EMPerror water elements.mp3
- Fanny.Shaver NightElf2.m4a
- JetFangInferno Pyrhhic Victory (Final).mp3
- Kelenor Orc Theme.MP3
- Teuncreemers Furbolg Theme.wma
- VoidLordXtreme HumanTheme Final- The Rise of Lords.MP3
- Waldbaer Burning Legion final.mp3

Did I miss anyone?

Here is the List of my downloaded WIPs without a final version:
- 11SmoKe11 nobody, - nautilus (forcontest).mp3
- BishopofDoom.mp3
- Dan Van Ohllus music_contest_wip.mp3
- Darkgamma The Cavern.m4a
- [LC (left contest officially)] Hamster Hunter Warcraft tribute WIP1.mp3
- Happy Tauren test6.mp3
- [LC] Xarvin WC3 WIP2.mp3
Probably I missed some WIPs and forgot some "I'm out"-messages.

I'd suggest to the contest's moderator (Wherewolf, I think?) to PN every contestant without final submission with another final deadline until Friday, 5th of March, 23:59PM. I think this is acceptable for the guys like me who hurried up and gives a real additional chance to those who didn't submit yet. After this deadline, I'd really continue to the judging/poll.
So what do you think?

Last edited:
Level 35
I'd suggest to the contest's moderator (Wherewolf, I think?) to PN every contestant without final submission with another final deadline until Friday, 5th of March, 23:59PM. I think this is acceptable for the guys like me who hurried up and gives a real additional chance to those who didn't submit yet. After this deadline, I'd really continue to the judging/poll.
So what do you think?

Partly agreed, though I see no reason for those that just didn't want to post several split music pieces not to have the chance as well. :wink:

Btw: You properly mean PM, not PN.

Level 10
Well, it was in the rules that you should post a WIP before your final submission, so I think it doesn't make much sense to invite people again, who did not even post a work in progress in time.
BTW, sorry for the "PN"; you're right I meant PM. In German, the word for "message" is "Nachricht", so in German forums it's called "PN" for "Private Nachricht" - that's why I messed that up. :wink:

I found Drenferalis "final" submission and sad message and moved him to the "final submissions" list. Well, I just can't understand, why the other contestants did not do it the same way. This contest is a nice possibility for hobby musicians to make others hear their music. Therefore it should be the main quest to take part; no matter if you will win or not (I doubt that the judges are so involved with all submitted styles that they can be really objective, at least I couldn't, so it will become some luck anyways - this is no criticism against the judges, it's just human!).

Last edited:
Level 6
My opinion is, if someone missed a deadline he should suffer his misuse. As long as he provided anything then this anything should be judged. Deadline is a deadline...

Level 35
My opinion is, if someone missed a deadline he should suffer his misuse. As long as he provided anything then this anything should be judged. Deadline is a deadline...

Indeed, we were just discussing in case of those who's music piece ends unintended abrupt due to time lose - that was in relation to the hosts post about an extension due to many participants forgetting to add a story.

Anyway looking forward to hearing all of the entries - and if some more should come I'll hear those as well. :smile:

The Panda

Icon Reviewer
Level 57
As said, this contest has ended. Everyone has till tomorrow mourning to submit there work, if you did not submit your work till then, you wont be in the contest anymore.

(In my time it is 11:36 p.m, so about 7 hours away till the mourning? well, overall we will not judge any work pasted the time limit.) (I wont be here tomorrow due too inconvenience of family, but i will be here Saturday for some time.)

Level 10
I'd say finish now. Nobody seems to want to submit anything further and we have at least the 9 entries I mentioned above:
OK, in my private folder here I have 9 final entries including my own:
- Cobra B Tauren Final.aif
- Drenferalis Elemental Chaos War (WIP3).mp3
- EMPerror water elements.mp3
- Fanny.Shaver NightElf2.m4a
- JetFangInferno Pyrhhic Victory (Final).mp3
- Kelenor Orc Theme.MP3
- Teuncreemers Furbolg Theme.wma
- VoidLordXtreme HumanTheme Final- The Rise of Lords.MP3
- Waldbaer Burning Legion final.mp3

Did I miss anyone?
That's not much seeing the list of people saying "I'm in" or even submitting WIPs, but that's enough for a poll. We should not let this contest end in nothing, there was much to much work in it.
So let's just start the poll and judging part. :thumbs_up:

Level 19
I agree.
And if we would let other people finish their works now, that would be a bit unfair for people that could have used the time to improve their submissions that are already posted.

Level 19
About a next music contest.
What would be the theme then?:p Maybe because this one had a pretty good amount of participants we can try to make the theme a littlebit smaller. This theme was really free, but now we know multiple people will enter we could make the theme smaller to something like a tileset or something? (So Ashenvale or Barrens or Icecrown) Who knows, that's for later. Just thinking out loud because a 2nd music contest needs a different theme, and it's hard to make it much different then the current theme.

Status
Not open for further replies.