• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Music Contest #6 - Apocalyptic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
Studio one is a good program.

:p

New wip

Also Prince Yaser your piece makes me want to cry :( *attempts to hold back emotional tears*

Attachments

• Apocalypse wip 4.mp3
    8.1 MB · Views: 80

A.R.

Skin Reviewer
Level 25
Yep, Studio One is awesome :D Just upgraded to the Artist version from Prime (the free one) since it was bundled with a small mixer.

Gonna do something kinda The Last of Us-inspired. Thinking something along these lines for the main refrain, will re-record later in stereo (and try cut back some of the feedback) and bring in some strings maybe.

Attachments

• Green Retakes Gray.mp3
    904.9 KB · Views: 77

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Gonna do something kinda The Last of Us-inspired. Thinking something along these lines for the main refrain, will re-record later in stereo (and try cut back some of the feedback) and bring in some strings maybe.
Pretty interesting though it's quite generic as it is. Might want to fill in with the thematic stuff somewhere.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

Ah, a good way to come back to hive. Sure I'll dabble in this, I'll use fruity loops.

EDIT: I got lots of original tracks that I've previously made. I got a perfect track that fits the theme, if I'm allowed to use it here. Its by no means professionally done or mastered, but its my own, made in FL studio. I've also got in-work screenshots to prove it, if needed.

The track is more of a zombie apocalypse battle music rather than sadness and despair. Also take this into account.

@Brambleclaw - Nice track! It builds suspense very well tho I was expecting it to transition into something more... powerful at the end, kind of disappointed it didn't. Just my flavor, great for the theme

@A.R. - Wow that guitar. Are you playing this or synthesizing it? Though this track feels more like a good ending track after the apocalypse. Great track tho

@PrinceYaser - Oh wow, this is some good composition. Enchanting piano and pad. I can sort of link this with regret or someone in the apocalypse remembering a loved one. Good job

Last edited by a moderator:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
EDIT: I got lots of original tracks that I've previously made. I got a perfect track that fits the theme, if I'm allowed to use it here. Its by no means professionally done or mastered, but its my own, made in FL studio. I've also got in-work screenshots to prove it, if needed.
You have to make a new one not add one that you already had made.

Level 9
Well,random guy joining in here then,hope nobody minds my badness.

Got a bit confused on the rules there though,so if i like use any bought or free Virtual Instrument,Soundfont or whatever,i have to tell here what they are where they came from etc,each one of them?

Level 19
Well,random guy joining in here then,hope nobody minds my badness.

Got a bit confused on the rules there though,so if i like use any bought or free Virtual Instrument,Soundfont or whatever,i have to tell here what they are where they came from etc,each one of them?

As far as I know, you don't need to provide the source. You just need to prove the music is of your own creation.

Level 9
Just starting but here's first WIP(edit:forgot proof)

Attachments

• WIP Rotten World.mp3
    1.5 MB · Views: 130
  • Rotten Proof.png
    Rotten Proof.png
    195.1 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Level 4
Hey guys. I'd like to join the contest. Hope I'm not late?
Here's my WIP:

Attachments

• DED1-Apocalyptic-Paranoia.mp3
    631.2 KB · Views: 91

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I think that you should give him some input nonetheless ;]
I'll give this instead (see below).

Some inspiration:

Don't consider the names and titles of the songs. Just listen and try imagining what they transmit.
Yeah, I know, I've kind of insisted with the religious part but apocalypse means revelation.

Last edited:
Level 4
Here is my second (this time full length) WIP.

I'll give this instead (see below).

Some inspiration:
[...]
Don't consider the names and titles of the songs. Just listen and try imagining what they transmit.
Yeah, I know, I've kind of insisted with the religious part but apocalypse means revelation.

So, does this basically mean "your entry is crap, try something more like these"? xD

Attachments

• DED1-Apocalyptic-Paranoia(long).mp3
    5.1 MB · Views: 100

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
So, does this basically mean "your entry is crap, try something more like these"? xD
That's not funny. And, no.
Here is my second (this time full length) WIP.
It's interesting but kind of repetitive. It stays on the same mood for the whole of its length.
Judging by the name, you'd want it to express the paranoia regarding the end of the world, as in it being a delusion?

What I think it needs is more variation, expression, instruments, something. That would keep the ears more hyped.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also, guys, please upload a picture of your work so we can have the proof.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Hello noble gentlemen! So here is my WIP for this contest. I really like this theme so I hope I manage to do it in time (unlike last contest hehe).
Ah, yes. Now you are on the right track.
Good work Naze but it kinda starts too fast in my opinion. Id suggest starting off slower and building up.
Not necessarily. Maybe, he just wants to start with (or only present) the destructive/tension event.
But, it kind of is a bit too sudden. Might just add some 10 secs or so of buildup. OR, maybe it is intended to loop.

Level 28
Good work Naze but it kinda starts too fast in my opinion. Id suggest starting off slower and building up.

I know right! But that's what I came up with at the time I was writing :(

OR, maybe it is intended to loop.

After I came up with that I thought of a looping sound - who knows when an apocalyptic soundtrack might be useful for a project.

Thank you NightStalker and deepstrasz for the feedback! I'll give a second thought to that.

Level 30
Second WIP....
Do not forget!

Hey this is really cool! I love how it sounds so DIY and lo-fi but still organic. One suggestion is that you could pan your strings around a bit. That way we can distinct the different lines a bit more, but keep that lo-fi feel. Your production/mix works otherwise. it sounds honest. I wouldn't really touch on compression if you don't know much about it, since it'll do more harm than it'll do good, allthough you could defo use a bit on the strings.

You can increase the volume in the mastering stage if you want a quick fix for your loudness issue. Export a wav, reimport it in whatever DAW you're using and put a limiter on it. Don't overdo it, though. In terms of tonality, you wouldn't harm the piece if you added some 400hz-1khz in an EQ. Just make it a touch warmer. You can do this in mastering as well (do this before you limit it). Oh and add a subtle warm analog static noise for extra lo-fi vibe, if you dare.

As for me, I'm not gonna finish anything. 29 feb is too close for comfort!
Good luck to all other contestants.

Can I join too?
I have worked a bit on something and I think it's almost fine, a few things to change.
I have made it in Finale I will post more evidence if my request to join is accepted.
There is no barrier on the way of joining. If you can finish your entry until 7th of March, then you can join ofcourse.

Status
Not open for further replies.