• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

War Carts (Christmas) V1.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
War Carts V1.2a Beta

DeathChef Presents!

War Carts v1.2a

Beta

Remember to keep this thread for deeper idea and criticism and to try and keep the more simple stuff in the map thread itself ^^.

Feed back and ideas are greatly appreciated.

Direct Download.
Thread in the map section

Attachments

• OverView.jpg
    OverView.jpg
    397.8 KB · Views: 715
  • Angled View.jpg
    Angled View.jpg
    428.2 KB · Views: 704
  • ViewA.jpg
    ViewA.jpg
    569.6 KB · Views: 699
  • ViewB.jpg
    ViewB.jpg
    531.7 KB · Views: 741
  • ViewC.jpg
    ViewC.jpg
    514.9 KB · Views: 745
Last edited:
Thanks for being interested on my project.
Also considering that the Paired mapping contest has started I will have to put that as my highest priority in mapping and also have to finish of a thew more things with my maps..
I will have to work on this if I get bored on the other projects ;D.

@ Apheraz Lucent:
It is a Christmas edition so I just have to add snow :D. I will make a normal edition sometime after this one as well as it wouldn't be that hard, as Christmas is soon.

Level 30
War Carts - Christmas Edition - v1.0 (Pre-Beta) Review
Gameplay: 50/100
Thought this was a really fun map to play, and I really like it, this map lacks a lot on replay-ability and uniqueness. The map can't be customized too much, except for cart choosing. There is low amount of abilities, and some of them just don't make sense for this type of map. Camera could benefit from some sharper transitions when you fall from the cliff, and when you enter a tube. I suggest you to immediately pan camera upon tube entrance - it can cost you a lot if it's rotating and your enemy is coming from the sides. I don't like the hotkey for spells, neither the random rotation. Hotkey should be Q or something similar, so that the hand can rest on the keyboard, not to balance on it's edge. The random rotation - I haven't noticed it until I saw the trigger. Because of Warcraft's messy interface for this type of map, it's hard to look down for what skill you got, and then up again to aim and drive, all the time, loosing precious time. The terrain is really small sized for a clash of ten players, and I think that you should make a map 4.5 times bigger, and then just add four different arenas from players to pick from. You can make the game more unique and customized even more - each arena can have it's own feature: drifting for ice, non-stop for space, waves that move you for underwater, etc... If you plan on adding this feature, make you map bigger than I said - you will probably add new arenas in future.

What you can do to improve the map is to make the carts unique. Example would be variations with speed and health, damage increase, or trap length increase/decrease. I think that every cart should have a racial ability, a unique spell that can help you. If you are interested in this feature, feel free to ask me for some great ideas. Same goes for item abilities - add more of them; I think that about ten would be reasonable number without forcing players in confusion.

Visuals: 30/100
First of all, even thought this is a Christmas Edition, I still think that you should remove the snow, unless you plan on adding more arenas. In both cases, I think that arena should be more random, with more doodads rather than simple edges and bridges. You can cover the floor, which sure looks ugly when faced from close, with some animated grass or shrubs, which will greatly impact on visuals. You can also greatly benefit from a snowy weather effect, rather than light rays, and from fog. There are some bumps and lumps in the terrain, made with raise and lower tools, which, not only they're not functional, but they look like mistakes. Flat terrain would be best for this type of map. About the random rotation for items, I think it should be re-created like this: you can replace it with a pause of 1 second when picking a box, removing the original picked box from the game, and creating a dummy unit over the head of the picker. Vertex coloring starts with 0, and it quickly fades in over 0.5 seconds. After 100% transparency, the box shrinks and falls down to the picker, giving you an ability.

Upon picking a cart, the tavern gets destroyed and you can see your character. Ugly, in my opinion, because it reveals the triggers so easily. I suggest to fade out the screen for the players who already picked a cart, with a message "Please wait!". When the timer reaches 0, the screen fades in, revealing a box that falls from heavens. Upon impact with the ground, the box plays it's Death animation, and reveals what's inside - your cart. Check out the Wyvern Cage model (found in Units, the wooden one, not metal) to see what I'm talking about. Then, after a short pause, three wisps will appear, or come from the sides of the screen - all are in neutral color. When the speaker says "Three, two, one", the wisps will change color - red, yellow, green, like a traffic light, right?

Abilities' visuals are, I have to admit, awful. I know you tried to make them appealing, but you just dug yourself up. You could use a custom model (I can edit it for you, if you want) for the Web, since it has a tornado and hurl ribbon, which are both looking weird. Fake Item could benefit from the shadow strike laughter sound, which really fits it, and can make people grin. Pursuit Bash should change colors to Yellow, I think, which represents invulnerability, and it should go smoothly from regular color to complete yellow. There should also be a sound effect during it's duration. I think that you should completely remove Wide Swarm, so no visuals suggested.

Total: 80/200 - Lacking
You need new features and advanced visuals to make the game unique and replay-able. This is a great start, however!
Regarding of tips and ideas, you can always ask me.[r]
Suggested Ideas:
Cart Racial Skills:
Demolition CartHurls a missile that will stop first target it encounters, and deal damage.
Diablo CartLeaves a blazing path of fire behind you for some time.
Dwarf CartRepairs some hit points.
Glaive CartHurls a missile that will push target forward until it hits an obstacle (wall, other cart).
Gyro CartFires out a heat seeking rocket that will hunt down enemies to slow and deal low damage.
Meat CartLeaves a flesh heap behind you that blocks missiles and carts.
Obsidian CartCreates an illusion that moves forward, grants invisibility.
Orc CartIncreases movement and blocks half of damage for a duration.
Robo CartLeaves a mine behind that will explode upon contact.
Undead CartSends a haunting ghost that will steal ability and silence upon impact.
Wagon CartShoots out several light missiles around you, dealing damage.

Thanks for the review Apheraz Lucent, I got served xD.
Even though I will be releasing this tomorrow there should be enough time to at-least add some more new stuff, but you basically asked for my to recreate over half the map :D.
I will consider some of the suggestions but I don't really spend much time on this map due to some of my other maps that need some great attending to.
Also I will remove the snow by the end of the year, but for now i guess that you will have to seffer :p.

Status
Not open for further replies.