• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Vicewind Ale-v2

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Fynnick Presents

Vicewind Ale
Created by Fynnick

Map Info:

You play the Mountain King melee hero returning from his journey and must find a way through the destruction that the enemies have created as they lay waste to your forest town.

Features:

There are different types and groups of enemies with a range of abilities requiring you to be careful about your tactics. There a number of items that can be acquired as rewards placed all around the map to help you along the way.

I've spread some healing wells around the map to act as checkpoints.

Screenshots:

226240-albums6141-picture66006.png

226240-albums6141-picture66007.png

226240-albums6141-picture66009.png

226240-albums6141-picture66008.png

226240-albums6141-picture66010.png

226240-albums6141-picture66011.png

Author's notes:

I created this Single player maze adventure map as a 6-hour LD challenge. I feel that I could have made the healing wells 1-time use only > they are currently infinitely usable. So you can always walk back to a previous fountain to recover health.

That said, as long as you do not go back for the fountain, it is a challenging map, with a mini-boss fight halfway through and a final boss fight at the end. Both are not too hard, and do not have phases > another thing I did not have time for.

Do let me know what you think! :)

As for improvements, I'm thinking of adding an element of survival, with requirements for food, water etc. along with the above mentioned 1-time fountains, and of course, balancing and bug fixes.

Map Description Template Created by -Kobas-
Find more here: Map Description - Templates

Keywords:
hero return, revenge, maze, demon, forest, town, burning, destroyed, campaign, adventure
Contents

Vicewind Ale-v2 (Map)

Reviews
» Vengeancekael:[c] 「Profile :: Hive Staff」 » Reasons: [Optional] Missing Custom Preview Image: To add a preview image, resize the image to 256x256 or 128x128 using gimp and save it as .tga. Import the image and change its path to...

M

General

Review

Other

» Vengeancekael:[c] Profile :: Hive Staff
» Reasons:

[Optional] Missing Custom Preview Image: To add a preview image, resize the image to 256x256 or 128x128 using gimp and save it as .tga. Import the image and change its path to 'war3mapPreview.tga'.
» Comment:
» Rules: [c] Map Submission
» Contact: [c] Staff Contact
! 'Reasons' are automated !

Verdict
+ Old-school
- Lacking terrain
- Repetitive, boring
- Too familiar

It gives off an old-school feeling, you have to take out groups of units and spend time at a fountain to heal up again, so it's not very fast paced.
The terrain is acceptable, but more diversity would be appreciated - Try adding flowers, statues, less cliffs and maybe more trees on the ground and not on the cliffs.
You could also use custom models like animated grass.
It gets repetitive after a while - Muradin has the default skills that most of the community will have grown tired of and the enemy units are always the same.
Add some quirky mechanics like jumping, dashing, explosive bashes, etc.
Overall it needs to stand out more by leaving the warcraft 3 feel behind and adding something new.
Lacking
[tr]​

Suggestions:
  • Add a starting game message/quest log/intro cinematic, so that it doesn't start off all suddenly.
  • Create a new fountain unit that has both the fountain of health's & fountain of mana's regeneration aura.
    That way you don't have to place both and it'll look better.

Moderated Version: Initial
Date: 22/Mar/2013 02:34:43

Level 2
This does not seems to belongs to the Escape map type, but more a Mini-Game where you have to survive and then escape. You should correct that.

When i'm talking about Escapes, it's maps where you have to run, staying on a path and avoiding monsters/other specials, until you finish the level.

I understand, though I chose it because of the Maze nature of the map because they are grouped together as that option.