• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Tutorial Request For Hero Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I believe I have this in the right section. If not I'm deeply sorry and would like to ask if it be deleted or moved.

I am wanting to make a Hero Defense map. Kinda like an Enfo map, Except with my own twists. And I'd like to do it from the ground up so I actually learn something and I can feel it is my own pride and joy. The only problem is is I have no idea where to start. I found this tutorial (http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/f283/hero-defense-template-52225/) But found that it seems a little off. It also doesn't look completed and some of it's methods seem a bit confusing. If anyone can point me to a Tutorial for this it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time and have a good day.

Level 10
I don't know if there is anything much along the lines of a hero defence tutorial. I guess the reason being is that there are so many ways to achieve similar results it's best to do it yourself and to your liking. Since you're willing to work on the map from scratch anyways, I'll give you some tips on a good way about doing it.

First of all, you can just start of by doing the terrain. Design the lanes, spawning areas, shop area etc. This is pretty easy and something you should be able to figure out yourself.

The next step would be to open the object editor and design all the creeps, heroes, abilities and items for your map. Once you have all of this basic stuff completed for your map you can move onto triggering it.

With triggering, alot of it is difficult for a new map maker so it's understandable why you want a tutorial. There is a world editor help topic here on the site where people can help you out, as well as a good one in the forums on News Page - The Helper Forums. The best way to go about it is work through the gameplay and progression of the game in your head from start to finish. Think about things like 'how do I want the heroes to be selected?', 'how do I get creeps to spawn?' or 'how do I start the next wave to start?'. You can then search these forums for the answers as most of these questions have been answered already. If not, you can just start a new question thread for your problem and providing you word it clearly you will generally always get a response and a solution.

I think this is the best way to learn the world editor to, by finding out what it is you want to achieve and then getting assistance on that specific problem. You will find every time you learn something it will help you out on another problem later down the track, and before you know it you will be a natural :D

Level 2
Thank you for the reply. I can design the map and get the general layout, All that is pretty self explanatory. It was just the triggers I was worried about, Recently I've learned a lot from following some tuts and finding stuff out on my own so it's been easier to navigate GUI. Don't know if I wanna learn JASS later on. I just experienced a great map that had memory leaks and later on it was just unbearable to play, So I don't know if I'd want to produce a map like that. I'll be sure to check out the Helper Forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.