• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Worldforge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23

158564-albums6365-picture68985.jpg

"It is in the Worldforge the realms rise from creation primordial.
There, we mould the formless elements into the shapes we so please.
More earth, more sky, more sea, more light.
Perhaps less of each, if that suits you.
Whatever realm you wish to sculpt,
know that the forge will always have its doors open.
You need only ask."

What Is This?

The worldforge thread is where users can start brainstorm projects related to terrain.
More specifically, techinical terraining methods.
It is intended to fufil a simillar function to those Idea Factory threads in general dev, with a few exceptions.
Such as others users are not obliged to do the actual terraining for you​

Project System

Say someone starts a project titled "Cave".
Users that want to join this "Cave" project can take part in joining the project brainstorm.
When the project starter is pleased with the result, the project can be considered complete.
The point of this is to create a general terrain technique reference.

You can contribute to projects via
  • Posting screenshots
  • Creating testmaps
  • Writing Critique
  • Providing resources, eg. models, skins etc.

If all goes well, we should have at most 1 or 2 projects going at once.
To give an example Ill start the first one.

FAQ

Q:

Is this a map terrain request thread?

A:

No, participants are expected to do their own terrain. Unless someone offers to help.

Q:

Do I have to officially join a project to be part of the brainstorm?

A:

No, random users can barge in and post whatever, so long as its relevant.

Q:

Is this for playable or scenic terrain techniques?

A:

Both

Q:

How high is the standard of terrain expected?

A:

Entirely up to the project starter.

Template

Title

"short description here."

About

Project Starter: Username
Type: Playable/Scenic

"Say everything here"

[CENTER][IMG]Heading image here[/IMG]

[I][color="#73ca90"]
[H3]Title[/H3]

"short description here."
[/COLOR][/I][/CENTER]

[H3]About[/H3][INDENT][stable]
[B]Project Starter:[/B] Username
[B]Type:[/B] Playable/Scenic

"Say everything here"
[/INDENT][/STABLE]

Feel free to add extra stuff and or change text colours.
If you can come up with a better template, then go ahead.

Project Board

Completed Projects

Last edited:
Level 23
158564-albums6365-picture68991.jpg

Stormy Seas

"As the wind and waves roar
The sea throws itself against the rocks and shore.
Froth and foam spurts over the crags
The raging storm knows no rest"

About

Project Starter: Kino
Type: Playable

In wc3 water in a 2d texture, creating the effect of a storming sea and generally large waves a pain, if not impossible. Ive always wanted to do a playable terrain of such a scene. Of waves crashing against a rocky shore, the sky dull and dreary.
To put it simply, trying to create the effect of a stormy sea and making sure the player realises it.

Ill put some pics tomorrow.

Level 28
Wow, I was just about to bug some terrainers to help me on something but I guess I'll go here.

attachment.php

SteamPunk AirShip

"Fly high in the sky
As the bird join you on the flight.
The sky is one hell of a sight."

About

Project Starter: SonofJay

"I'm currently seeking for some advice for resources and techniques that I can use for a steampunk type of terrain. Resources doesn't need to be specifically made for a steampunk airship but as long as you think it can be use for something related I'll be glad if you can share it. Also you guys can also share what you think I should add on the empty spaces.

I attached three screenshots that you guys can take a look. The last one have a red circle on a spot where one question lies, does the structure fit? Do I need to tint it darker, move it to another place on the ship or should I just totally remove it? The structure is the captain's cabin where the player can enter and receive sub-quest in the map I'm making.

Will really appreciate some help."

Attachments

• airship.jpg
    airship.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 389
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    289.4 KB · Views: 175
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 168
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 178
Level 30
Wow, I was just about to bug some terrainers to help me on something but I guess I'll go here.

attachment.php

SteamPunk AirShip

"Fly high in the sky

About

"I'm currently seeking for some advice for resources and techniques that I can use for a steampunk type of terrain. Resources doesn't need to be specifically made for a steampunk airship but as long as you think it can be use for something related I'll be glad if you can share it. Also you guys can also share what you think I should add on the empty spaces.

I attached three screenshots that you guys can take a look. The last one have a red circle on a spot where one question lies, does the structure fit? Do I need to tint it darker, move it to another place on the ship or should I just totally remove it? The structure is the captain's cabin where the player can enter and receive sub-quest in the map I'm making.

You could add some Cannon for it, here is a corresponding model to help you ^_^

Cannon

Level 23
That structure really doesn't fit.. :V
It's like having a church in the ship which is not really.. err...

anyways, Here's a model I used for Heroes lore. It's a simple model edit of a windmill but I think it would be a fitting replacement for those propellers. though the animation makes it slant and spin like crazy sometimes.. :/

222907-albums6224-picture69010.jpg
222907-albums6224-picture69009.jpg
[/IMG]

I'll let you decide if you're gonna use it. Maybe I can suggest some more models later or so..

Attachments

• WestfallWindmill2.mdx
    22.2 KB · Views: 53
Level 23

The structure definitely stands out.
If you intend to use a complete custom light system, perhaps you should flick on all the lights and fog.
If it still looks out of place, then take action.

To be honest though, the whole ship looks very stony and not metallic or woody enough. Then again, use an ingame view with ingame lighting/fog. It might look entirely different.

Level 28
anyways, Here's a model I used for Heroes lore. It's a simple model edit of a windmill but I think it would be a fitting replacement for those propellers. though the animation makes it slant and spin like crazy sometimes.. :/

Ah yeah, that looks better than the one I'm currently using. Thanks for sharing.

If you intend to use a complete custom light system, perhaps you should flick on all the lights and fog.
If it still looks out of place, then take action.

Yes I did plan but it wasn't implemented until now and when I checked it, it still look out of place so I removed the structure.

To be honest though, the whole ship looks very stony and not metallic or woody enough. Then again, use an ingame view with ingame lighting/fog. It might look entirely different.

Well it does look stony, but looking about 40+ steampunk airship concepts, i did stumble a couple of ships that use bricks.

5.jpg

But the main reason why I choose those dark brick tiles is that I can't find a fitting metallic tiles for my concept or lack of fitting resources if I did have a metallic tiles.

Thanks guys.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

I've seen B2M's resources used for steampunk terrains before. They tend to give that polluted orangy vibe.

Level 13

attachment.php

SteamPunk AirShip

"Fly high in the sky

About

wtf sonofjay there are some private materials on my map. please don't distribute the map anywhere.

Last edited:
Level 28
wtf sonofjay there are some private materials on my map. please don't distribute the map anywhere.

Don't worry I'm just depressed to learned that the map I'm currently supporting wasn't really a steampunk map so I made a steampunk terrain myself. I'm not even thinking to do something after finishing this.

This will just stay on my finished playable terrain folder.

Level 6
right now it doesnt really look real at all. you should work with plattforms and create a ship with doodad art. that looks way more real. So u also could use sky/cloud tiles in your map.

Status
Not open for further replies.