• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

The "Flame-effect"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
As you know, the phoenix is possible to see even during the "Pitch Black" trigger, anyone know how to: Get an unit to get such flame as the phoenix as well, or just make units possible to see even in the darkness, as if they were torches? If anything someone should work on making some units with that effect if it is into the modelling phase i am sure it could prove interesting.

Have a pleasant day.

This was put in request, more as an "Hint" of something to try out if there actually exist people on this place that needs something new to work on ^^

Red

Red

Level 26
If this is something you wanna try out, you're looking for two possible things. Luckily, both edits are done in the same way, and can be done in 5 minutes or less, provided you have the tools and the know-how.
(If you aren't able or aren't comfortable with working with .mdl files, just ignore the white text :p)

Now, here's where the 2 edits differ. The Pheonix has a material mode called Additive, which makes it transparent and illuminated, like the ghosts of Cenarius and Antonidas units, and hero glows. The grunts in the second attached pic have had their materials changed to Additive.

The Pheonix's materials are also Unfogged, which simply means the textures can't be masked by fog. Team colored areas of many units are unfogged. The Footmen in the second attached pic have had their materials changed to Unfogged.

-Get your model, use whatever program you want to convert it to an .MDL file

-Open the .MDL file in notepad

-Scroll down a bit till you see "Materials" (Use the attached image for reference, I marked this with a red arrow)

-To make the unit's materials Additive, just change the word at the end of all the phrases that start with FilterMode (See green arrow) to Additive. Depending on the unit, there could be many of these phrases.

-To make the unit's materials unfogged, type in the phrase Unfogged one line down and 2 tabs over from where the StaticTextureID # is (Blue Arrow)

-Close notepad, convert your model back to .MDX and enjoy, hopefully :p

If you're not comfortable with this complexity level of model editing, no big deal, just tell me what unit you need this done to, or send me the model file if it's a custom one, I can do it for you in a few minutes.

Attachments

• AdditiveUnfogged.JPG
    AdditiveUnfogged.JPG
    23.9 KB · Views: 78
  • UnfoggedFootmen.JPG
    UnfoggedFootmen.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 73
Status
Not open for further replies.