• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Ask and Help thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
ok... i myself wanna learn how to become a spell maker and i bet a whole lot of others do, Then theres the already spell makers. basicly us who want to make spells ask questions and the spellmakers can help us out :)

all i need to know is how to make shapes with lightning and special effects. sure its easy to do that with regions, but....

so who can help me out?

Level 11
In Polar Offset we consider the central point as the center of a circle. Then the radius would actually be the radius of the circle and the angle the position on the circle. For example, if you wanted to create a cross made out of lightnings, it's enough to create four lightnings, all with the origin in the center of the circle, the same radius and difference between their radiuses equal to 90 degrees. Conclusion, the code would look like this:

FOR (integer A) from 1 to 4 do actions
-> Create lightning from (Target Point of Ability Being Cast) to Polar Offset((Target Point of Ability Being Cast), radius of 600, (Integer A)*90 degrees)

The code is not exact (I didn't copy-paste from WE) but this is the main idea. Some observations, in this case the center of the circle is the (Target Point of Ability Being Cast). But it could be another point as well. I chose a radius of 600 but you can make it bigger, depending on how big the radius of the spell is. And as for the last part, since we want four lightning with a 90 degrees difference between them, all we have to do is increase degrees by 90 for each repetitive action.

Hope this explains a little what Polar Offset can do. It's mostly math and geometry.

~Daelin

Level 3
heh, polars are a bit complicated for me, i suck at math. But using what you said +unit offsets i managed to create a cool aura, that creates soul possesion and some other effects around me for a bit. Now i need to find out how to make an aura that charms anything in its radius for 20 seconds... :oops:

Level 11
Ok, this is pretty complicated. Firstly because there are a lot of conditions you have to think at. And also, it is imbalanced. You can get this temporary charm spell since The_Raven already made it. It's in the spells section. Now all you have to do is give it to dummy units and order them to cast it appropriately. But it is imbalanced, I mean, you could leave the area and return after 20 seconds and recharm the units. I'm against it but it's your choice.

~Daelin

Level 3
heh, i just thought of using the dummy units. i ended up just making curse not do anything, and using triggers to make it do charms effect. though i think i might know the final thing to help it out :D

Level 3
To only charm them for 20 seconds? Best thing I can think of is to do dummy units to charm all units in an area, then wait 20 seconds, then return them to original player who possessed them.

Alot of variables..

Level 3
when i said but i know what to do, i meant give the dumym units that spell. but... i cant figure out how to get them to actually cast their spell, like an auto turn on autocast trigger

Status
Not open for further replies.