[Solved] syntax error

Level 12
Warcraft 3 patch: 1.31.1

I get an error on this line call TimerStart(t, tDuration, false, function paranoia_expire(u)) Syntax Error, unexpected "("

I'm assuming that the issue is paranoia_expire(u) but I don't know why.

In 1.27 (JNGP) I don't get any error, though since BlzGetUnitAbilityCooldown doesn't exist I replaced it with a number, so it could also have a problem I suppose.

Since JNGP seemingly had no problem with it, I tried playing the map on 1.31.1 anyway, but that didn't work until I disabled the trigger.

JASS:
function paranoia_expire takes unit u returns nothing
    call UnitRemoveAbility(u, 'A04E')
endfunction

function paranoia_timer takes unit u returns nothing
    local timer t=CreateTimer()
    local real tDuration = BlzGetUnitAbilityCooldown(u, 'A04E', GetUnitAbilityLevel(u, 'A04E'))
    call TimerStart(t, tDuration, false, function paranoia_expire(u))
    set t=null
endfunction

function Trig_Paranoia_2_Conditions takes nothing returns boolean
    if ( not ( GetSpellAbilityId() == 'A04F' ) ) then
        return false
    endif
    return true
endfunction

function Trig_Paranoia_2_Actions takes nothing returns nothing
    local unit u = GetTriggerUnit()
    call UnitAddAbilityBJ( 'A04E', u )
    call SetUnitAbilityLevelSwapped( u, 'A04E', GetUnitAbilityLevel(u, 'A04F') )
    call paranoia_timer(u)
endfunction

//===========================================================================
function InitTrig_Paranoia_2 takes nothing returns nothing
    set gg_trg_Paranoia_2 = CreateTrigger(  )
    call TriggerRegisterAnyUnitEventBJ( gg_trg_Paranoia_2, EVENT_PLAYER_UNIT_SPELL_EFFECT )
    call TriggerAddCondition( gg_trg_Paranoia_2, Condition( function Trig_Paranoia_2_Conditions ) )
    call TriggerAddAction( gg_trg_Paranoia_2, function Trig_Paranoia_2_Actions )
endfunction

the trigger is a combination of me converting a GUI trigger into custom text + I copied the timer functions from some tutorial, but I changed it so the function paranoia_expire takes a unit variable, since I wanted that to carry over so I don't have to use a hashtable or anything

Level 9
Unfortunately you cannot give arguments to a function in a timer.
So you need to put: function paranoia_expire

And you can find the right unit by saving the unit handle id in a hashtable to the timer handle id as a key.
Then retrieve the key via GetExpiredTimer.

Level 12
Unfortunately you cannot give arguments to a function in a timer.
So you need to put: function paranoia_expire

And you can find the right unit by saving the unit handle id in a hashtable to the timer handle id as a key.
Then retrieve the key via GetExpiredTimer.
Well that's unfortunate, I was hoping I could avoid using a hashtable this way.

One of the bad habits I've gotten from using JNGP is that since I mostly use GUI I avoid hashtables since hashtables don't work with GUI in JNGP...

Level 9
The reason you need hashtables, is because you can store a very large number. Handle id's are normally like 1 billion+.

You might use a method called handle offset. That means you subtract a large number from the handle id's in order to get them within the 32k range, and then you are able to save it in an array.